Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

https://smile.amazon.com/Battle-Gro...85000143&sr=8-1

I wouldn't read the synopsis unless you want Peace Talks spoilers.

Also I cant see the release date being accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's on the publisher's website.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/645503/battle-ground-by-jim-butcher/hardcover

With the same release date so maybe we will get two Dresden books in one year.

Edit: Its also showing up at other bookstores.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

So the official trailer for Peace Talks confirms Battle Ground is out in September.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 24, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not liking the books is fine. There's no need to be a jerk about it, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You're confusing the White Court and the White Council.

But to your point, that's something Dresden and others criticize the White Council for fairly regularly in later books. I've said it before, but you're arguing from a grossly incomplete picture. Don't read books you don't like, but also try to avoid speaking with authority when you've only read 20% of the series.

Just to drive this point home, you just wrote a couple hundred words about a topic no one was talking about because you're entirely ignorant about the White Court as they aren't introduced until after the point you stopped reading.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 25, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I didn't say don't talk about it, I said don't speak with authority. It's cool, you don't like how the White Council is portrayed in the earlier books because they come off as dickish at best, if not downright evil. But that's the whole point. It's hard to argue the writing is bad when the author makes you feel about a group exactly the way he wants you to feel. You're making these sweeping statements about the series with virtually no context.

Edit: I guess my bigger issue is that I don't get why some people spend so much time talking about books they don't like. I didn't like the Felix Castor books, but outside of mentioning why maybe once a year when a new poster asks about that series, I just ignore the posts about those books and skip that part of the conversation. I don't understand the urge to constantly poo poo on something other folks enjoy.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 25, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

kchama's right that wizards don't really seem to give a crap about non-wizards, that's the whole point of the Paranet in later books.

That's the frustrating thing about their posts: valid complaints are made, but literally everything being complained about is revisited and addressed (to varying extents) in later books. Once again, don't read books you don't enjoy, but at the same time recognize how irritating it can get for people that have read them all to keep pointing out that these problematic situations are acknowledged (at least) and dealt with.

And the response, at least lately, is to fall back on "well I'm just talking about this one scene!" and that's missing the forest for the trees. Yes, the scene where the Council discusses whether or not to hand Dresden over to the vampires is problematic on a number of levels. Yes, pretty much all wizards have little or no concern about non-wizards. But these are necessary scenes that set up multi-book plotlines.

By comparison, notice that no one really argues about what a shitshow the White Court vampires are. A lot of stuff surrounding them is just horrible, and it's clear Butcher didn't think through the implications of having Thomas be a major character and ally to Dresden. It's a problematic aspect of the series that stops a lot of readers cold and that's 100% understandable.

Which is not to say your reasons for stopping are any less valid, kchama, it's just that many of your issues with the series are addressed later and some posters (and I'll include myself here) are perhaps a little too quick to harp on that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hub Cat posted:

I agree that wizards don't care about non-wizards, but I don't see how that specifically applies to the Dresden defense league of Ebenezar etc. and not the Merlin and his supporters.

It's not that it doesn't apply to both groups, it's that such a position is not unexpected from those set up in opposition to Dresden, but is concerning to see coming from his allies. The underlying assumption is that, as Dresden's allies, these people are the good guys. Outside of Ebenezer, that assumption isn't really supported by the text at that point, but it's a reasonable one to have based on genre tropes.

Edit: Just to be clear, since there's been a lot of back and forth, this is an issue with Butcher's ideas being more clever than his writing could support at the time.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 25, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Actually you were so wrong there's going to be two books this year.

You need a release date to have a delay, and there was never an official release date. But keep on tilting at windmills.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I like that the argument here is based on "The author claiming things would be done by X date don't count"

Provide a quote from Butcher stating the book would be done by a certain time and I'll send you an av cert.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

No, they posted quotes of him saying he's working on it but doesn't know when it'll be done, as well as quotes detailing why it's taking so long. Butcher learned his lesson about promising when a book will be finished with Ghost Story, he's been careful not to give specifics.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fair enough. Since you don't want the av cert, want me toss an equivalent amount towards a charity?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yes, I think Direct Relief is going to need everything anybody can spare for it in the near future.

Let's see if I can master uploading an image with the app...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

tentacles posted:

Thinking along those lines, has any urban fantasy been adapted into animation? I don't want Harry Potter to count (and not sure if there's any adaptations there even if it did)

If you want to slot Hellboy in to UF, there are a couple of animated features.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

tentacles posted:

But are they voiced by Ron Perlman?

They are, in fact.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In bear's world, it seems you can read only a single UF series, ever. Instead of, I dunno, reading other series while waiting for the next Dresden book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Everyone posted:

Maybe there'll be problems with it. Maybe Ivy will show up and turn out to have her own new set of "bodacious tatas" and Dresden will consider whether Maggie will get awesome tits, too, ala our own PotUS. Even with that I expect a fun, funny, trash junk read action ride. And that'll be good enough to keep me as a fan.

Let's quote the part actually being referenced and not some random bits.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

docbeard posted:

"Yeah, the book's probably going to have some stupid offensive bullshit in it but I like the fun parts of his writing enough that I'll read it anyway" is a completely reasonable position.

"There's plenty of books without that stupid offensive bullshit in and I'd rather read those" is also a completely reasonable position.

"Everyone who takes Position One actually is into the stupid offensive bullshit" is less reasonable.

I appreciate the ninja edit on this post.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

mastajake posted:

I just hope there is more Michael in this next book. He's probably my favorite character. Wondering how long the Winter Knight thing is gonna last. Maybe the rest of the series?

Probably not that long as there seems to be a pretty clear exit strategy. My guess is he'll lose the mantle either right before the end trilogy starts, or very soon in to it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

In urban fantasy news I learned that Tad Williams wrote a UF series about angels on the beat. Has anyone in here read it?

I liked it well enough.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Everyone posted:

It doesn't really sound like he's fully thought it through.

If somebody sics a killer drone on Dresden and he Hexus it and that Hexus incidentally makes the heart of some nearby dude with a pacemaker explode, does that break the First Law? Apparently so, by his logic.

It does make me wonder about a story set, say, three hundred years in the future with everybody cyborged up the rear end and wizards are terrified to so much as breath wrong lest they crash whole cities or something.

It'll almost certainly be different in 300 years. Go back 300 years and wizards made milk turn sour. It changes with the times.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Actually, nevermind. Doesn't contribute to the discussion so edited out.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 15, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

Games are set up to be fun, not realistic.

C'mon now, think this one through.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You can do both. I have something like 2300 physical books and 700+ ebooks (gogo freebies!).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

I quit Sandman Slim after the third book. At least I think it was the third. It leaned a little too hard into male power fantasy for my tastes. I usually love self-serious, over-the-top, so-bad-it's-good stuff, but Slim just lost me. It felt like it was trying a just little too hard.

I've heard nothing but good about the last two books though. Maybe it just had a mid-series slump, and I need to pick it back up?

Book 3 is loving terrible, but Kadrey reverses course pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Everyone posted:

I don't think that's going to be a problem. I'll agree with the majority that PT was probably overall the worst of the DF books. Still, it met my admittedly low threshold of "good enough." The likelihood is that the hardback of both it and 17 will get donated to my local library once the the paperback versions come out. Plus, once 17 comes out and I read, I'll likely do a back-to-back reread of 16 and 17 to see if the story flows together better.

Meanwhile, it's August 29. I should probably head over to Jim Butcher.com to see if the first chapter of 17 is up yet. Figure if it's not up yet, it'll probably get posted Tuesday the 1st.

Edit: And... nope, not yet. So figure Tuesday.

It's this coming week, it was confirmed in an email.