Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The winsplit revolution site looks like it wasn't reupped so I've rehosted it here: http://a.pomf.se/idkzzp.exe

You can access the md5 sum (b7417d3e1db10db8e6c19caf69dfcc88) (and binary, although who knows for how long) from archive.org in case you didn't trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
What are the good freeware video editing softwares out there? Just something to cut and stitch basic .avi videos I take with my phone?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Gothmog1065 posted:

What are the good freeware video editing softwares out there? Just something to cut and stitch basic .avi videos I take with my phone?

Windows Movie Maker works great for just stitching and cutting and it comes free with Windows. :)

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Link Shell Extension
Creates symbolic links, junctions and other types of redirections straight from Windows Explorer context menu. For example, if your system drive is getting full, you can move big folders like games to an another drive and then junction them back to their original locations, and they will continue to work. No reinstallation needed.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Evilreaver posted:

What's the go-to free antivirus nowadays? All my old standbys have gone premium or invasive-ad-supported or they pop up all sorts of annoying poo poo.

I used avast for a while but got annoyed with certain aspects of it.
Bitdefender has one of the best dtection rates and now offers a bare bones free edition which im really likeing the fact I dont notice its there.

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Winmerge
Compare and visualize the differences between two files or folders, then reconcile the differences. A handy visual 'diff' for Windows.

Textcrawler
Find and replace within text files and folders.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are there any light torrent clients that allow a) controlling the interface remotely, and b) adding torrents remotely?

I'm currently using Tixati, but that only allows for a) (and with a pretty basic interface, at that), but doesn't do b).

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are there any light torrent clients that allow a) controlling the interface remotely, and b) adding torrents remotely?

I'm currently using Tixati, but that only allows for a) (and with a pretty basic interface, at that), but doesn't do b).

I want to say qBittorrent is what you're looking for. It definitely does A and I'm pretty sure it does B. I have it set up to monitor a folder, which I mounted as a network share, for any new .torrent files and it automatically adds them to the queue. I'm pretty certain that you can add magnet links and the like through the web UI.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

uTorrent has a Web UI function, is it no longer the standard?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
For reasons I don't :filez: enough to understand, a number of torrent sites have started to block the utorrent client.
qbittorrent seems like the most popular replacement, deluge is probably OK too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Newer versions of uTorrent, post v3, are "chatty" with each other. This is a problem. I suggest uTorrent v2.9.x.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I need a video converter program. I would like it to use my GPU to encode as it should encode much faster than my CPU. GTX 680 vs i7 920. Badaboom was what I used when I had GTX 460s, but they stopped support for the GTX 6 series and have closed up shop.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Newer versions of uTorrent, post v3, are "chatty" with each other. This is a problem. I suggest uTorrent v2.9.x.

Also obnoxious advertising.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh. I thought it was related to the recent news (don't remember where I saw it) that µTorrent has removed the option to disable the ads (even the method through the registry). Which for some might be a reason to look towards something else anyway.

I have a 3.1 that seems to work fine so far, but I mostly use the Download Station on my NAS anyway.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Newer versions of uTorrent, post v3, are "chatty" with each other.

What does this mean? I've never heard this term in reference to software.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Utorrent isn't the go-to torrent program anymore?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Christoff posted:

The day it started bundling toolbars with the installer, had that search functionality, and became bloated over what it used to be is the day I switched to qBittorrent. It's the same thing but without all the bloat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hooah posted:

What does this mean? I've never heard this term in reference to software.

I'm not sure of all the technical details behind it, but what I've been told by some private trackers is that uTorrent now has more communication between uTorrent clients, so it's less private or anonymous or something. The ads can also track you, which is a separate problem.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Christoff posted:

Transmission or Deluge.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I use Deluge on Linux/OS X and qBittorrent on Windows.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Recently switched to qBittorrent basically all the features of utorrent.

One small annoyance is that in utorrent of I typed the first letter of a label and hit down then enter it auto completes with capitalization. QBittorent doesn't auto capitalize. Nothing major though. Oh and it plays a bit wise with my dark theme.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Anybody have a favorite utility to copy DVDs? This isn't for :filez:, I swear. I don't need it to decrypt anything. I just want a disc duplicator program that can use two disc drives. I just want something as stupid simple as "select source drive, select destination drive, GO". Easy enough for old people to use.

Googling for this brings up all kinds of sketchy websites, and nothing all that useful that I can see.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CDBurnerXP is usually my go-to disc program in general. I think it can do A->B copying.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody have a favorite utility to copy DVDs? This isn't for :filez:, I swear. I don't need it to decrypt anything. I just want a disc duplicator program that can use two disc drives. I just want something as stupid simple as "select source drive, select destination drive, GO". Easy enough for old people to use.

Googling for this brings up all kinds of sketchy websites, and nothing all that useful that I can see.

ImgBurn

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Same, only downside that you have to make it an iso first i think.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Thanks, guys! CDBurnerXP looks like it'll do exactly what I need.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
If you still want to use utorrent, turn off the ads by going to Preferences->Advanced and filtering by the word "offer." You can turn off any/all ads that way.

There's also a transmission port for windows. Qbittorrent is nice though, I don't mind it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TheQat posted:

If you still want to use utorrent, turn off the ads by going to Preferences->Advanced and filtering by the word "offer." You can turn off any/all ads that way.
Not anymore since 3.4.2, that's the whole thing: http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-makes-advertisement-unremovable-in-latest-release-140602/

You can restrict it to ads about the paid Plus version, but that's as far as you can go.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

^Note to self, don't upgrade past 3.4.1

TheQat posted:

THANK YOU. No more ads for D-list MMORPG's or "Get Paid on the Internet" schemes.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I'm not sure there is really any reason to upgrade utorrent 2.9 unless some vulnerability comes up or there is an update to the torrent format.

Any downsides to QT on Windows (qbittorrent) ? I always avoided additional frameworks due to memory usage and performance. I prefer to use native when possible, but I suppose thats not as much an issue with modern machines.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Dyscrasia posted:

Any downsides to QT on Windows (qbittorrent) ? I always avoided additional frameworks due to memory usage and performance. I prefer to use native when possible, but I suppose thats not as much an issue with modern machines.
Have not used qbittorrent, but I used the midi sequencer SEQ24 on Windows, which required the QT framework and it's like literally two or three files of a couple of hunderd kilobyte. Wouldn't even be an issue on a 15 year old computer.

.NET as a user experience is also not what it was ten years ago, by the way. Wasn't a fan of things that used it back then but I haven't had a reason to think about it in the last five years. Sure, technically it takes up space on on disk, but other than that, who even cares anymore.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
For uTorrent, also set gui.show_notorrents_node and gui.show_plus_upsell to false. It'll look like pre-2008 uTorrent again.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Flipperwaldt posted:

Have not used qbittorrent, but I used the midi sequencer SEQ24 on Windows, which required the QT framework and it's like literally two or three files of a couple of hunderd kilobyte. Wouldn't even be an issue on a 15 year old computer.

.NET as a user experience is also not what it was ten years ago, by the way. Wasn't a fan of things that used it back then but I haven't had a reason to think about it in the last five years. Sure, technically it takes up space on on disk, but other than that, who even cares anymore.
He probably remembers Azure :catdrugs:

I've always wondered, do those direct connect sharing still exist? I forgot the name, it was same concept as napster/limewire?

Ditto is clipboard addon that's very useful if you do a lot of cut/paste. It saves as long a history as you want, organize it

Femur fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 7, 2014

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
A long shot, but does anyone know where I might find the old versions of Synergy that worked on Windows NT? Everything I've found recently has stopped back-support, unsurprisingly.

We've got a PC driving a piece of legacy lab equipment that *has* to run NT, and it'd be nice to get rid of the snake-farm of PS/2 wires and yellowing keyboards.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Cefte posted:

A long shot, but does anyone know where I might find the old versions of Synergy that worked on Windows NT? Everything I've found recently has stopped back-support, unsurprisingly.

We've got a PC driving a piece of legacy lab equipment that *has* to run NT, and it'd be nice to get rid of the snake-farm of PS/2 wires and yellowing keyboards.

I am guessing you've already try these? I remember using Synergy in college, so it's probably still on those 74GB hdds in the closet; but it will probably not be a much earlier version than that site's.

Femur fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 8, 2014

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Femur posted:

I've always wondered, do those direct connect sharing still exist? I forgot the name, it was same concept as napster/limewire?
Yep, and it is actually named Direct Connect. It's not fully decentralized like Napster/Limewire. Instead, you connect to a hub and can exchange files with any users connected to the same hub. Because the hub sets up all peer-to-peer file transfers and the traffic is not encrypted by default, it's relatively easy to identify and sue the hub operator for $bignum.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Femur posted:

I am guessing you've already try these? I remember using Synergy in college, so it's probably still on those 74GB hdds in the closet; but it will probably not be a much earlier version than that site's.
I'm an idiot, I tried the 1.2.2 but not the 1.0, which just worked perfectly. Thanks!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
What's the best free office suite out there? I know OpenOffice used to be good but that's apparently discontinued.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LibreOffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

MikeJF posted:

LibreOffice.

Thanks. :)