Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Speaking of office suites, Office is free to use online now. I don't know how good the online version is, but people have told me it's better than Google Docs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
For those people jonesing for an Actually Good explorer replacement, apparently Bit Commander will have a public version in two weeks. Miller Columns rock, and anybody coming from OS X knows this.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

f#a# posted:

For those people jonesing for an Actually Good explorer replacement, apparently Bit Commander will have a public version in two weeks. Miller Columns rock, and anybody coming from OS X knows this.

That's awesome. I'm downloading it when available. This looks outstanding.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

f#a# posted:

Sweet. I've been keeping my eye on this since it popped up somewhere (maybe in the other Windows thread?). I couldn't see the use of the columns thing in my limited experience on OS X, but perhaps this will be different. The rest of the browser certainly seems intriguing.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Looks pretty cool. Only thing I need before jumping in is support for a dark theme or something similar.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

f#a# posted:

Hm.
I hope that 'human friendly filenames' feature is toggleable.
I like my filenames to show what the file is actually called, extension and all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The "relative dates" seems like it would be annoying/useless as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Probably my favorite piece of software that I've never heard anyone else mention: The Guide

It's a very nice outlining / mindmap program. Hierarchical tree of pages on the left, RTF-based notepad on the right. I like it a lot as a note-taking & planning program. It's nicer to use than some other simple outliners but not over complex either. RTF for the note side is also quite nice for some basic formatting. Also open source though nobody seems to be developing it anymore (not that it really needs anything).

Metapad. Other text editors are much fancier, but this is the true "notepad but better". No code syntax highlighting, no regex find & replace, no tabs, just a basic text editor. Notepad++ is clunky and sucks, if you're actually a coder get SublimeText and if you're not writing code use metapad.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Klyith posted:

Probably my favorite piece of software that I've never heard anyone else mention: The Guide

It's a very nice outlining / mindmap program. Hierarchical tree of pages on the left, RTF-based notepad on the right. I like it a lot as a note-taking & planning program. It's nicer to use than some other simple outliners but not over complex either. RTF for the note side is also quite nice for some basic formatting. Also open source though nobody seems to be developing it anymore (not that it really needs anything).

Metapad. Other text editors are much fancier, but this is the true "notepad but better". No code syntax highlighting, no regex find & replace, no tabs, just a basic text editor. Notepad++ is clunky and sucks, if you're actually a coder get SublimeText and if you're not writing code use metapad.

If you don't want the huge featureset of NPP, give Notepad2 a try. It's less sparse than Metapad, featuring find and replace along with syntax highlighting. It's still very lightweight, with a minimal UI, and extremely fast.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Klyith posted:

Notepad++ is clunky and sucks, if you're actually a coder get SublimeText and if you're not writing code use metapad.

Why are you posting something that costs money? I tried it, loved it, then it asked me for $70. I'm sobbing in a corner now.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Rurutia posted:

Why are you posting something that costs money? I tried it, loved it, then it asked me for $70. I'm sobbing in a corner now.

It costs money the same way WinRAR costs money. It's nagware - if you are using it to make money, make your employer pay for it; otherwise, deal with the occasional panhandle.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It costs money the same way WinRAR costs money. It's nagware - if you are using it to make money, make your employer pay for it; otherwise, deal with the occasional panhandle.

Wait, so it says that I can't use it continuously, but doesn't ever actually put a limit on it? Ahh, got it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You're still being unethical.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really like Brackets for web design and coding. Attractive, open source, actively developed.

Ninja edit: I don't think it's "unethical" to use a product past its nag screen if they allow you to, but it sure doesn't qualify as freeware.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

This definitely qualifies as useful, though it's not in a 100% perfect state: Sikuli. It allows you to automate workflows in programs, even ones without API support. It can grab visual elements from the program itself, or inputs, or etc.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This definitely qualifies as useful, though it's not in a 100% perfect state: Sikuli. It allows you to automate workflows in programs, even ones without API support. It can grab visual elements from the program itself, or inputs, or etc.

That's pretty neat how it grabs visual elements.

I have used AutoIt in the past to do automate mundane poo poo as well.

http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975
Does anyone know anything about the demise of Truecrypt?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Beaters posted:

I think it's more a pet project that got out of hand than part of some larger government conspiracy personally. Ars Technica has quite a few articles covering the whole situation if you're interested:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/bombshell-truecrypt-advisory-backdoor-hack-hoax-none-of-the-above/

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Beaters posted:

Truecrypt posted:

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues.

They made the canary pretty obvious.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Speaking of office suites, Office is free to use online now. I don't know how good the online version is, but people have told me it's better than Google Docs.

I've used it, but I think Google docs is still better mainly because most of my poo poo is already in the Google ecosystem, so everything just works better for me with google docs. Plus I don't want to support any movement to subscription based software, that's for MMOs.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I poked around on office.com and there's definitely more robust features, but I also think that most people won't need those features and they're already in the Google ecosystem, like you say. Though I don't think you need a 365 subscription to use it? I didn't, at any rate.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Manky posted:

I really like Brackets for web design and coding. Attractive, open source, actively developed.

I like Brackets as well. (It is also called 'Adobe Edge Code'). It runs on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. You can have your web page open, and changes within Brackets are shown in your web page in real time, without refreshing the browser. It also has nice integration with Adobe Web Fonts.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Any suggestions for a small, free program that automatically makes your computer a wireless hotspot? Something that is just really simple and free.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kalenden posted:

Any suggestions for a small, free program that automatically makes your computer a wireless hotspot? Something that is just really simple and free.

In Windows 7 you just create a new Ad-Hoc Wireless Network and are done.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kalenden posted:

Here's a good WikiHow on doing it with built-in Windows 7 tools. On Mac there's also a way built in. Only problem with ad-hoc networks is if you have an Android phone you want to connect, they won't even see them.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Does anyone have any suggestions for a native RSS reader for windows 7? Ideally something that will let me autodownload podcasts and browse normal news feeds. I was using RSSOwl but I've just reformatted my PC and am hoping to avoid installing Java for as long as possible.

Edit: Actually, suggestions for an XMPP client that handles group conversations (preferably tabbed) and broadcast messages well would be nice. I currently use Pidgin but it seems to be vulnerable to specially crafted avatars which sends it into a reconnect loop while that user is online. Psi has godawful MUC and broadcast support.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 27, 2014

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Anyone got a good video encoder/converter for windows? I used to use SUPER back in the day but holy poo poo that thing installs a billion lovely toolbars and stuff nowadays.

Edit: Ah-ha, I wanted HandBrake.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 11, 2014

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tivac posted:

Anyone got a good video encoder/converter for windows? I used to use SUPER back in the day but holy poo poo that thing installs a billion lovely toolbars and stuff nowadays.

Edit: Ah-ha, I wanted HandBrake.

If you need more variety, you could also take a look at Adapter (Win/Mac)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Speaking of office suites, Office is free to use online now.
Since when has it not been?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Since when has it not been?

Well, it's definitely new as of Office 2013, but I don't know exactly when they made web-Office.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
Any recommendations for a video editing software that has some audio editing capability? Basically I am trying to edit this video to get rid of the microphone static. So far most of the freeware ones I have looked at only have very basic audio editing capability like adding music or fading in/out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibrz8ZBDls

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I recently had no choice but to downgrade back to 7 so that I could play Grand Theft Auto 4...

Biggest thing I miss? I had Stardock Start 8 set up so that my second monitor ALSO had a mostly functional taskbar and start button on it. I've googled a bit, there seem to be two options but they're both quite costly.

Any ideas?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

J-Pak posted:

Any recommendations for a video editing software that has some audio editing capability? Basically I am trying to edit this video to get rid of the microphone static. So far most of the freeware ones I have looked at only have very basic audio editing capability like adding music or fading in/out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibrz8ZBDls

I would extract the audio track from the video, then use something like Audacity to edit that track. You can mux them back together after you're done.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

I recently had no choice but to downgrade back to 7 so that I could play Grand Theft Auto 4...

Biggest thing I miss? I had Stardock Start 8 set up so that my second monitor ALSO had a mostly functional taskbar and start button on it. I've googled a bit, there seem to be two options but they're both quite costly.

Any ideas?

I'm using this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortb/

The start button is in beta, and I don't use it, so I can't tell you how well it works, but everything else is fine.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

I'm using this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortb/

The start button is in beta, and I don't use it, so I can't tell you how well it works, but everything else is fine.

HELL yeah.

Exactly what I needed, thank you!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Any ideas?

DisplayFusion is probably worth the money

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

HELL yeah.

Exactly what I needed, thank you!

Quite welcome :) I mainly use it so I can see the clock and realize how many more hours of Star Ruler 2 I've played than I meant to.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any good simple programs that'll let me adjust volume with left mouse click and mouse wheel up? Volume mouse is kind of buggy now for some reason and only works if I have a program highlighted to left click

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Christoff posted:

Any good simple programs that'll let me adjust volume with left mouse click and mouse wheel up? Volume mouse is kind of buggy now for some reason and only works if I have a program highlighted to left click

Development seems to have disappeared, but the latest version is very functional and does what you want: Volume2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Christoff posted:

I have tried at least 4 of these over the years and settled on 3RVX. All of them seem to have an annoying habit of occasionally ceasing to work until you restart it which I guess is down to the hooking mechanism they have to use to intercept Windows mouse events. For me this seems to happen a lot less with 3RVX.

• Locked thread