Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I have heard someone say that Volumouse does not work in Windows 8. However, Volume2 does.

MacType allows you to customize your Windows font rendering without going through the mess that is GDIPP.

Always-On-Top is a neat little utility that is super simple, and extremely lightweight: a keypress of ctrl-space will toggle any window's "always on top" status.

It's not freeware, but I like Total Commander for handling file management in Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hirvox posted:

Steam Tile
Creates adjustable-size Tiles to Steam games with the game's cover art as the tile background. Also shows achievements.

Not a program, but a link: Steam cover art for many games, so you can do the same thing with your non-Steam games.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

hirvox posted:

Steam Tile's FAQ says that third-party games are not yet supported, but they're working on it.

That's too bad. Still an awesome program.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

XYplorer is also a pretty nice Explorer replacement, and it's portable.

Here's an old link I dug up. Despite the 4chan presentation, it has some good information and links: Windows 7 Ricing Reference. It's focused on aesthetic tweaks, but there are quite a few programs recommended as well. Just stay in the top third or so for programs, most of the rest is all visual customization.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

NinetySevenA posted:

Here is a nice too for making animated .gifs right off your desktop.

http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21

It is very easy to use and has a built in editor.

I use GIFcam regularly, but LICEcap is a better option if you're recording high-quality content - it can record in a lossless animated giflike format, .LCF, and I've heard it has a better editing GUI.

GIFcam, on the other hand, produces smaller filesizes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Newer versions of uTorrent, post v3, are "chatty" with each other. This is a problem. I suggest uTorrent v2.9.x.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

hooah posted:

What does this mean? I've never heard this term in reference to software.

I'm not sure of all the technical details behind it, but what I've been told by some private trackers is that uTorrent now has more communication between uTorrent clients, so it's less private or anonymous or something. The ads can also track you, which is a separate problem.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CDBurnerXP is usually my go-to disc program in general. I think it can do A->B copying.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Speaking of office suites, Office is free to use online now. I don't know how good the online version is, but people have told me it's better than Google Docs.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

f#a# posted:

For those people jonesing for an Actually Good explorer replacement, apparently Bit Commander will have a public version in two weeks. Miller Columns rock, and anybody coming from OS X knows this.

That's awesome. I'm downloading it when available. This looks outstanding.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Klyith posted:

Probably my favorite piece of software that I've never heard anyone else mention: The Guide

It's a very nice outlining / mindmap program. Hierarchical tree of pages on the left, RTF-based notepad on the right. I like it a lot as a note-taking & planning program. It's nicer to use than some other simple outliners but not over complex either. RTF for the note side is also quite nice for some basic formatting. Also open source though nobody seems to be developing it anymore (not that it really needs anything).

Metapad. Other text editors are much fancier, but this is the true "notepad but better". No code syntax highlighting, no regex find & replace, no tabs, just a basic text editor. Notepad++ is clunky and sucks, if you're actually a coder get SublimeText and if you're not writing code use metapad.

If you don't want the huge featureset of NPP, give Notepad2 a try. It's less sparse than Metapad, featuring find and replace along with syntax highlighting. It's still very lightweight, with a minimal UI, and extremely fast.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Rurutia posted:

Why are you posting something that costs money? I tried it, loved it, then it asked me for $70. I'm sobbing in a corner now.

It costs money the same way WinRAR costs money. It's nagware - if you are using it to make money, make your employer pay for it; otherwise, deal with the occasional panhandle.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

This definitely qualifies as useful, though it's not in a 100% perfect state: Sikuli. It allows you to automate workflows in programs, even ones without API support. It can grab visual elements from the program itself, or inputs, or etc.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Since when has it not been?

Well, it's definitely new as of Office 2013, but I don't know exactly when they made web-Office.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

J-Pak posted:

Any recommendations for a video editing software that has some audio editing capability? Basically I am trying to edit this video to get rid of the microphone static. So far most of the freeware ones I have looked at only have very basic audio editing capability like adding music or fading in/out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibrz8ZBDls

I would extract the audio track from the video, then use something like Audacity to edit that track. You can mux them back together after you're done.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Christoff posted:

Any good simple programs that'll let me adjust volume with left mouse click and mouse wheel up? Volume mouse is kind of buggy now for some reason and only works if I have a program highlighted to left click

Development seems to have disappeared, but the latest version is very functional and does what you want: Volume2

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

10bux posted:

What's the best program for mounting ISO files these days? I used to use daemon tools but I just read some bad things about it. Any suggestions?

VirtualCloneDrive is what I use, for its light weight with a bit of configurability.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sumatra has a book view where it shows two pages at once, if that helps.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any software that will allow me to lock down my PC down to one browser window/tab?

I'm going to be hosting a small party at my house and to play music I'll be streaming a chrome tab with Spotify open to my chromecast.

Since the computer will need to be in the room, I'd rather people not be able to start mucking around with the computer while that's happening.

Group Policy, built in to windows, allows you to make an account that can only log out and use one application. Set that application to a Chrome webapp (three lines menu button, More Tools, Create Application Shortcuts...) and voila.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Nokiaman posted:

But you don't really have access to the hosted files and have no idea how secure they are.

KeePass+Dropbox is much better IMO

LastPass uses locally encrypted files, so even if someone were to crack into the server, they couldn't get your data.

Anyway, using Dropbox if you want account security? :lol:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone recommend a piece of software that would read the tags in music files, and sort them? Just something simple that can read tags and then put them in like Artist>Album or something like that. Trying to clean up someone's music library and they have like 8000 MP3's shoved into a folder with no sorting whatsoever.

MP3tag is purpose built for what you are doing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I need to convert a M4A file to specifically a 8 KHz/16bit/MONO .WAV

Is there any software that will do this?

Foobar2000 or the previously recommended Audacity.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

Is there a tool that's good at analyzing just what's destroying your computer's available memory?

Like task manager?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If you want something that just works with no hassle, VLC is fine, but I prefer PotPlayer with LAV/XY/MadVR for video/audio quality. You can get an easy to install setup with MPC-HC and the other parts by using Kawaii Codec Pack (ignore the anime name).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Alder posted:

I like CCCP for everything. I have and it tends to update often too. There's always the built-in MS media player if you don't want to deal w/third-party programs.

CCCP hasn't been updated in 10 months. KCP is a more frequently updated version.

• Locked thread