Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody should pay for blue label unless they have tried and decided that they hate all of the several hundred incredibly good single malts that can be had for less than half as much money. Blue label isn't actually bad, it's just a blend of other well-aged single malts with a lot of marketing behind it.

Seriously though this is true. It's pretty good but definitely not $200 good.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Blanton's, Bulleit Rye, and Bulleit Bourbon in the cabinet. Want some other ryes, but the college town liquor stores here go quantity over quality.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Prawned posted:

If you start a thread about whisky and then proclaim your love of Jameson you should kill yourself, tia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeCQDave60E

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

Darse posted:

Which shall I drink GBS?

The Lagavulin 16 year old is excellent. The peatiest Islay I have tasted yet.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I wish I lived in the days of casual alcoholism where every barbershop would hand out shots of whiskey.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Delicious

naem
May 29, 2011

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
The one and only kickin' chicken...

Except no substitutes. Half a liter never fails to turn me into Waylon Jennings.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
But really, the best whiskeys are the ones that taste good, smooth enough to drink on its own, and cheap. Ever since I first bought it, Tullamore has been my go to for that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
co-op's 12 year old single malt much like tesco's finest it's another supermarket own brand that keeps annoying the whiskey industry by being nicer than the swish brands. Shame co-op's bank is sinking fast so get it while you still can.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
if you like trying bizarre peaty scotches and whatnots, you really owe it to yourself to try mezcal at least once

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

this is the one, it's got sweetness and spiciness and is great

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

David Copperfield posted:

if you like trying bizarre peaty scotches and whatnots, you really owe it to yourself to try mezcal at least once

I'd love to try more anejos, but tequilas and mezcals are just so stupidly over-valued. One of my salesmen gave me a tasting of Casa Dragones yesterday, and it was nice. About as nice as tequilas that cost $200 less. They've managed to out-douche the lifestyle vodka labels, and that's an accomplishment.

naem
May 29, 2011

Shugojin posted:

this is the one, it's got sweetness and spiciness and is great

It's too easy to drink though which is dangerous, I sometimes buy Evan Williams because it burns more and I stop lol

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Don't like whisky at all. But I do like having a bottle of rum on hand.

imgay

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
if that isnt the most used joke when shopping in a liquor store, i dont know what is.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Dregs posted:

imgay

mount gay owns

learnincurve posted:

co-op's 12 year old single malt much like tesco's finest it's another supermarket own brand that keeps annoying the whiskey industry by being nicer than the swish brands. Shame co-op's bank is sinking fast so get it while you still can.

i love supermarkets doing "finest" spirits because they are generally surprisingly good. i got some marks and spencers sherry-aged rum that's surprisingly decent, and tesco were doing a thing a while back where they were blatantly selling bombay sapphire in a different bottle for far less. then they discontinued that brand so it was even cheaper!!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

rcman50166 posted:

if that isnt the most used joke when shopping in a liquor store, i dont know what is.

Yeah, I know. But that really is the brand I keep on hand. I just figured I'd use it before some goon jumped on the gay label.

naem
May 29, 2011

Don't turn into alcoholics guys pls thnks

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

FogHelmut posted:

is gin going to be the next hipster thing? or is it still a gay thing? are hipsters over bourbon yet?

We're already past the gin trend and into the mezcal trend.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Dregs posted:

imgay
best rum that isnt havana club

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Buffalo Trace bourbon is a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

It's got the perfect balance of great taste with a little bit of kick to it. I hate whiskeys that are too smooth, personally, like baby-tier Irish and Canadian whiskeys, and some of the "high end" bourbons fit that too.

When it comes to scotch, I always just drink Glenlivet because that's what my grandfather drank and it reminds me of old times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Darse posted:

Which shall I drink GBS?

If you drink anything other than an Islay then you are a cretin.

Edit: Also If you drink it with a mixer you should probably be shot in the back of the head.

The tobermory 10, hands down. Tallisker a close second, but I'm biased.

Islay is the only right choice.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Costello Jello posted:

We're already past the gin trend and into the mezcal trend.

The Pacific Northwest is still the capital of artisanal gin. I don't think the hipsters are ready to give it up yet.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

The tobermory 10, hands down. Tallisker a close second, but I'm biased.

Islay is the only right choice.

Tobermory is Isle of Mull. Tallisker is Isle of Skye.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 22, 2014

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Clitch posted:

The Pacific Northwest is still the capital of artisanal gin. I don't think the hipsters are ready to give it up yet.

I was specifically thinking of NYC, which tends to burn through trends quicker. I recently moved to the Pacific NW and gin is my second favorite drink after bourbon. What are some good local gins around here?

Dorothy Parker gin is a really nice native NYC gin to try. Less juniper than traditional, and more floral, but not in an annoying way.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Hey everybody post more pictures of consumer goods you bought and display like bower birds it really says something important about you lol

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Myron Baloney posted:

Hey everybody post more pictures of consumer goods you bought and display like bower birds it really says something important about you lol

This dude here can't afford alcohol lol

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Brown

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Buffalo Trace for my Whiskey Sours.

Highland Park 18, Dalmore Gran Reserva, and Balvenie Caribbean Cask for when I want to drink scotch.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

Tobermory is Isle of Mull. Tallisker is Isle of Skye.

And here I was under the impression that islay was an archipelago. Guess that makes it clear why I never got the appeal of Laphroaig.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Myron Baloney posted:

Here he is, the guy who always kept his door closed in his freshman dorm, and his roommate would never tell him when everyone else on the floor went out together.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Costello Jello posted:

Here he is, the guy who always kept his door closed in his freshman dorm, and his roommate would never tell him when everyone else on the floor went out together.

It's the inevitable 'above it all' goon post. Guaranteed to show up in any thread where people have opinions about anything.

Ransom is an awesome Oregonian barrel-aged gin. I like it 1:1 with grapefruit juice.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Clitch posted:

I'd love to try more anejos, but tequilas and mezcals are just so stupidly over-valued. One of my salesmen gave me a tasting of Casa Dragones yesterday, and it was nice. About as nice as tequilas that cost $200 less. They've managed to out-douche the lifestyle vodka labels, and that's an accomplishment.

let me tell you the secret to cheap tequilas/mezcals/any mexican spirit:

1. drive to any town in mexico
2. go to the walmart

most of the expensive/douche part of tequila is branding for gringos. they don't even sell Patron in Mexico.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Clitch posted:

It's the inevitable 'above it all' goon post. Guaranteed to show up in any thread where people have opinions about anything.

Ransom is an awesome Oregonian barrel-aged gin. I like it 1:1 with grapefruit juice.

have you ever come across that craft absinthe made by the couple from montana who grow their own botanicals? I can't remember the name and it's killing me

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

rcman50166 posted:

But really, the best whiskeys are the ones that taste good, smooth enough to drink on its own, and cheap. Ever since I first bought it, Tullamore has been my go to for that.

I'd never had Tullamore Dew before I got a job barbacking at this Irish Pub over here. Jameson and Tullamore Dew are the well Whiskeys. TD is so hilariously better than JMo that it's criminal.

Edit: "backbacking" thanks a lot phone, that isn't even a real word.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 22, 2014

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

The Casualty posted:

I'd never had Tullamore Dew before I got a job backbacking at this Irish Pub over here. Jameson and Tullamore Dew are the well Whiskeys. TD is so hilariously better than JMo that it's criminal.

wait until christmas and get it in the old school clay jug

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Omg, I just buy pints of awful poo poo because I'm poor and depressed.

:(

Keep 'em in the freezer and they barely taste like anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Clitch posted:

Seagrams 7 is American whiskey. It's also mostly "neutral grain spirits". Basically you like American whiskey, but only if it's watered down with vodka.

Huh. 'Watered-down American whiskey' doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. What about Canadian Club?

• Locked thread