Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

epoch. posted:

I like Jameson a lot. Will I also like Jameson black? It's on sale for $30, is this good?

According to the official Virginia government websites liquor price list, it seems okay http://www.abc.virginia.gov/Pricelist/IRISH_WHISKEY.html

I tried all three McLellands I could find (islay, highlands and lowland) and highlands was the best. Islay was real bad, that bottles staying full until a very dark day.

I'm gonna try some of the Glenfiddiches this weekend - http://www.abc.virginia.gov/Pricelist/SCOTCH_WHISKY.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

epoch. posted:

I like Jameson a lot. Will I also like Jameson black? It's on sale for $30, is this good?

Here's my best comparison:

Jameson is green apple slices.

Jameson Black Barrel is fresh apple pie filling.

It's very easy to drink.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

quote:

Kentuckians like to tell you that 95 percent of the world's bourbon comes from their state. What they won't tell you is that pretty much every last drop of that bourbon comes from a handful of conglomerate distilleries. In this chart—excerpted from The Kings County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining, on shelves now—the guys behind Brooklyn's oldest craft distillery parse out, once and for all, the complicated kissing cousins of the bluegrass state's bourbon industry.

The Vagabond
Aug 4, 2006

Have bindle will travel
For a change of pace let's also post the absolute worst whiskey we have ever put in our mouths, the kind of thing that makes you wish you were gargling goblin cum instead...

For me it is most definitely Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey.

Fun Fact, moore county, home of Jack Daniels distillery is a dry county. I assume the inability to taste the swill they create explains its rather unique and horrifying 'flavor'

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Southern Comfort makes me gag, so that I guess.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Leperflesh posted:

Southern Comfort makes me gag, so that I guess.

Southern Comfort isn't whiskey so it's okay. It's just a liqueur with whiskey flavorings added (with some spices and poo poo too).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I prefer using my whiskey for quality Old Fashions and for Manhattan cocktails. They make my day.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Thank you for this. It's incredibly useful.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

The Casualty posted:

I got a bottle of The Yamazaki 12 the other day and it is probably one of the best sub-$100 whiskeys I've ever tasted. It was only $60, but it tastes like Scotch of double that value.
It's pretty good but around 3/4 down the bottle I bought the amount of sheer woodiness in it (due to being a vatting of 3 different oak barrel types) started getting to me. By the end of the bottle I decided not to get a second one.

The Vagabond posted:

For a change of pace let's also post the absolute worst whiskey we have ever put in our mouths, the kind of thing that makes you wish you were gargling goblin cum instead...
Macallan Gold. gently caress that thing and gently caress the distillery that made it too for many reasons.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Incredible value for money, salty and citrusy at the same time

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Incredible value for money, salty and citrusy at the same time
Totally agree. It's like paying half price to lick the boat before it sailed to Islay and was set on fire.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My store ran out of Black Eagle, so I'm onto Southshot now

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond posted:

For me it is most definitely Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey.

Fun Fact, moore county, home of Jack Daniels distillery is a dry county. I assume the inability to taste the swill they create explains its rather unique and horrifying 'flavor'

A friend of mine in complete innocence bought me a bottle of this once. They just thought it sounded good so they got it for me and I never told them how awful it was because they didn't mean to inflict that poo poo on me.

And to add a positive note and my own uninformed opinions to the mix I have really been enjoying Talisker lately. And Oban is delicious as well.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 3, 2014

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Honey whiskey is babby whiskey for people coming from flavored vodka or SoCo, which is probably a huge market

It's more of an aperitif or whatever

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
had the honey jack, still tasted like garbage like any other jack

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

rcman50166 posted:

had the honey jack, still tasted like garbage like any other jack

It pains me to say it, but Jack Daniel's Sinatra is pretty loving tasty.

It's also $150 a liter, so gently caress those guys. If I didn't have a client insist he open it up and pour me a shot, I'd probably never have tasted it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Clitch posted:

It pains me to say it, but Jack Daniel's Sinatra is pretty loving tasty.

It's also $150 a liter, so gently caress those guys. If I didn't have a client insist he open it up and pour me a shot, I'd probably never have tasted it.

it's got a picture of a fedora on the bottle laffo

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I picked up this over the weekend and really liked it, especially for being less than $30. let me know if you think it's crap

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

eSports Chaebol posted:

The only thing that would be goonier than this whiskey is a dorito-infused version

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

I like Rittenhouse Rye, Sazerac Rye and Old Grand-dad Bonded. and evan williams for cheap

thanks for listening.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Supreme Allah posted:

I picked up this over the weekend and really liked it, especially for being less than $30. let me know if you think it's crap

if you like it, thats all that really matters. 3 marks to hit:

-cheap
-smooth enough to drink plain
-tastes good

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

The Casualty posted:

I got a bottle of The Yamazaki 12 the other day and it is probably one of the best sub-$100 whiskeys I've ever tasted. It was only $60, but it tastes like Scotch of double that value.

Yamazaki has been my favourite for a few years now, it's so nice. Extremely smooth, so good for new whisky drinkers. My current bottle is a Glenlivet 12, which is my Grandfather's whisky of choice.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

eSports Chaebol posted:

m'laphroaig

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Did they steal the Johnny Walker bottle design from Blade Runner?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here's my collection...

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Here's my collection...

single barrel knob in the freezer? You're fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

eSports Chaebol posted:

single barrel knob in the freezer? You're fired

normally i'd agree but seeing the bottle all frosty like that makes me want to pick it up, chug alot of it and stumble around

• Locked thread