Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

absolem posted:

How come we can have objective laws of X, but not objective morality? The sort I've suggested still seems pretty nice...

(note, the first bit of that is an actual question)

Because the only truly objective laws, are the laws of science* that hold the universe together. Once we derive a scientific explanation for the purpose of life then perhaps objective morality can be determined.

*that is to mean the specifics that hold the universe together rather than what we currently know/understand of them.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Caros posted:

I could logically prove that a double down is objectively the best food, but that doesn't make it anything but heart clogging garbage. Bacon is good, chicken is good, the Double down has naught but chicken and bacon. What other food has nothing but chicken and bacon? The double down is the best food.

The billboard I drive past on the way to work has Panda Express offering Orange chicken with bacon :colbert:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Is there a good philosophy must read texts list anywhere? All of this stuff is highly interesting to me but since my sum total of philosophy knowledge is one semester of babby's first logic class and a political theories class, a lot of this is flying over my head.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

No, there's no real big list. If you're interested in particular topics I bet I or someone else can give you a short list of things to read but if you're interested in political philosophy, my telling you to go read Kripke right the gently caress now wouldn't really help you in what you want to understand.

Alright gotcha, from a brief glance through wikipedia utilitarianism seems to most reflect my views and beliefs so that seems like a pretty good starting point or is would that still be too broad?

• Locked thread