Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How do Libertarian ethics and morality systems deal with the issues of the commons?

Meaning, say, if I live on land that has a river running behind it, can I dam it up or claim ownership of that one section that runs through my property? What if I start dumping garbage in it and it floats downstream into someone else's house? What if I just put a dam in there to generate my own energy?

Do I have a moral obligation to let the people downstream have access to clean water; or any water at all?

What about things like sanitation or first responders? That sort of thing. Some guy croaks in front of my street or dies in a car wreck out there. What private enterprise removes the bodies or do we let them rot in the sun? Who repairs any damage to the street or clears the wreckage? The property owner? Whoever caused the crash? What if they don't have the money? I assume in Libertopia there's no sort of insurance mandate.

Am I allowed to have a big, stinking Homer Simpson landfill in my back yard even it's stinking up my neighbor's air and I'm attracting bugs and vermin everywhere? Who determines health hazards and safety issues in the commons?

By "commons" of course I'm speaking about the things we all have to share like roads, electricity, water. Libertarianism offers no solution for this that I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nessus posted:

Now that said in practical terms many (perhaps most) libertarians acknowledge a need for at least a courthouse for you to attempt to sue the giant factory owner in, and some cops to come arrest you when you end up in arrears on your mortgage, as well as perhaps an extremely basic sort of social services - the corpse-pickers, etc.

So basically if we implemented all their ideas, the first things they'd do is go "poo poo, we really need to get these roads built/repaired. You know, there aren't enough schools around here either and my internet connection is pretty lovely. Between that jerk who hosed up my river and that poo poo with the landfill next door I got sick. I wonder if we could have a hospital close by or maybe a police station so I could call and have someone come over and tell him to knock that poo poo off. That car wreck is still over there too and the bodies are beginning to smell."

They'd be clamoring for something to be done and, with no obvious profit margin to be had unless it were paid for collectively, no private company would touch it. They'd immediately want a...I dunno...a government of some sort to...say...regulate these sorts of common societal issues.

gently caress. I cross posted this in the other thread after noticing there was one and was unsure which thread was better for it. Can you put your response over there (or can I)? Because it's a better thread.

As long as I'm on it though, what about things like hunting and fishing restrictions? What if some rear end in a top hat collects all the fish and game in the county and nobody has anything to eat unless they pay extortionist prices brought about by the monopoly on the fish and game supply?

• Locked thread