Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
At the very least America needs to be returned to Britain, they were violently forced out which was hideously immoral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

absolem posted:

I think you mean returned to the Amerindians...

No, I'm talking about the theoretical places that they didn't already own, according to you. Even if that were the case, Britain is the moral owner of America, so anything you own really belongs to them. If you're going to be consistent in your world view, you need to return everything you own to them, since you're not a British citizen and you have no moral claim to it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

absolem posted:

Only in cases where englishmen owned property that was taken from them. The english gov't or whatever has no claim to anything of that sort.

Yes, same with hawaii, etc.

Hm sorry yeah they did, the colonists had contracts with the English government or companies when they came over, with the understanding that they could use the land as long as they agreed to do things like pay taxes. They stopped doing that and rebelled, which is very immoral, so the colonists were very violent towards the English government. I'm sorry you don't want to give up your stolen property, but I find your immoral acts extremely objectionable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

absolem posted:

I'd rather just give it back, if its all the same to you

Well, then we better go and make sure the saxons and angles give back all the land they took from the celts.

With a debate, if it was appropriate, but otherwise no differently

I just read "Surely you must be joking" again. Feynman is one of my favorite people. It seems that my theory lines up fine with "dah real wurld"

no, you're right, its probably safe to assume that all native land not bought was stolen

Yes, according to you. But I'm not actually interested in that. You're the one who's just admitted that you're living an immoral life, where you're admitting you're using property that you know for a fact is stolen. Why are you such a poo poo, according to your own moral framework? Give everything you own back to the rightful owners.

absolem posted:

My plan is that if I'm ever shown that something I claim to own is in fact owned by someone else, that I will immediately surrender it to them and offer to pay them back in the hope that they don't put me in the mines for the rest of my life (and also recommend that everyone else does likewise). see my post in response to vitalsigns

C'mon, man, put up or shut up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

absolem posted:

I'm not though. I have no clue if any native groups owned my land, but I have a pretty good idea that no one else did.

I guess another thing is that poo poo doesn't automatically transfer to your kids. Property can be assumed to be transfered to the kid, but anything else isn't their fault

absolem posted:

Those are two separate issues. 1) Using stolen goods is wrong because you are using them without the true owner's permission. 2) benefiting from marginalization et al is not wrong, as long as you aren't doing #1. In the case of finding out you've been doing #1 you are obligated to stop using the stolen goods. You are not obligated to do anything else, but you definitely should, in case the angry true owner comes after you for damages.

I'm super disappointed in you, buddy, your land belongs to the English government and you aren't willing to give it back. They were willing to give land to certain colonists under certain conditions, but when the colonists violently violated their contract and rebelled, then the property naturally returns to the English government. You're using known stolen goods when we know who the true owner is, so you yourself said you're obligated to stop using those goods.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

absolem posted:

How the hell am I supposed to give it back to someone I don't even know existed?

Also, do I need to change the OP so you fools have to post ideas of your own instead of just bashing me? Its not that I don't enjoy the debate, its just annoying to have you people act like my ideas are poo poo while 1)not doing a very good job and 2)probably having ideas that are just as bad

Luckily the English have a monarchy so you can give it directly to Queen Elizabeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shibby0709 posted:

If even happen not to live on a patch of land not previously owned, which is unlikely, a good deal of the products you own can be tracked back to where they are derived and, by your own philosophy, you are morally culpable of returning those products.

Did you buy fruit this week that was grown from California? You stole it. Send it back to the Mexican government.

Is your house made of lumber that came from trees grown on land that was once owned by a native tribe? You stole it. Tear your house down and send the lumber back.

Are you posting from a computer with parts made Texas, assembled in China, and designed by the Japanese? Return it. The land those parts come from, the lands in which they were assembled, and the land in which the ideas leading to their creation were developed on were all stolen.

Wait a minute. This doesn't make any sense. It's almost like the logic that led to these ends is ridiculous and unworkable. :confused:

It's insane and untenable on the large scale, but by god the OP is a man of his word and he said if he found out everything he owned was stolen according to his own definition (it is) then he would return it.

Godspeed OP :patriot:

• Locked thread