Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ancap philosophy essentially boils down to 'violation of property rights, which essentially means violation of the current status quo of distribution, is the ultimate crime morally and basically anything else is preferable'. They dress it up in pseudointellectual horseshit to distract from the fact that that's sociopathic and gonzo ridiculous on its face.

ok, thread over, let's all go home now

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

You're making this way, way more complicated than it needs to be. Don't bother telling him to read Rawls or Marx or whatever the gently caress, just make him confront the fact that supporting property rights over human life is intuitively wrong and hosed up in the abstract. The great thing about the a priori bit is all you have to do is destroy the foundations in the abstract and the whole thing immediately implodes. By engaging woth the shell of pseudointellectual garbage they put out you legitimatize it. The assumptions it's based on are flatly wrong and this is apparant to all people who aren't sociopaths if you present it that way.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 23, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Spatula City posted:

There's really no point arguing with an unfalsifiable proposition, is there? Similar to the obnoxious "is there a god" debates we've had here before, it is literally impossible to prove this guy wrong because his philosophy denies proof. We all know this. Logical appeals will not work on him. He believes it with his gut. You get right down to it, and, like all libertarians, his core argument is justified by BECAUSE IT JUST FEELS RIGHT. We've been through this before.

anyway, that is to say I'm doing something different. I would like people to outline principles running counter to the religion of the free market.

What do I believe?
All men are created equal, and endowed with certain unalienable rights, among these being life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I believe we can do things as a people to ensure this for everyone, but it takes trust, hard work, and vigilance against the bastards who will deny these rights. Property is not, in my view, all that important. The true moral unit is a human life, and, hopefully the quality of that life. Coercion seems pathetic to me as any sort of moral dilemma next to millions of people dying of starvation while others have more than enough. There has to be a balance between allowing people to make great achievements, and giving everyone an equal shot at a good life. When bad things can be prevented from happening to people, they should be prevented (with the exception of punishment for criminals, but that should be greatly reformed as well, to focus on rehabilitation). Complaining about coercion is hosed up because life involves other people telling you what to do and asking things of you. This isn't an imposition, this is called being a human being.

What you should do is drag the ridiculous a priori assumptions kicking and screaming out of the shell of cargo cult philosophy they hide in, so people can clearly see that libertarianism means 'the property of middle/upper class WASPs is more important than literally everything else, and all measures must be taken to defend it, even if those include genocide and human rights abuses"

• Locked thread