Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
There's really no point arguing with an unfalsifiable proposition, is there? Similar to the obnoxious "is there a god" debates we've had here before, it is literally impossible to prove this guy wrong because his philosophy denies proof. We all know this. Logical appeals will not work on him. He believes it with his gut. You get right down to it, and, like all libertarians, his core argument is justified by BECAUSE IT JUST FEELS RIGHT. We've been through this before.

anyway, that is to say I'm doing something different. I would like people to outline principles running counter to the religion of the free market.

What do I believe?
All men are created equal, and endowed with certain unalienable rights, among these being life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I believe we can do things as a people to ensure this for everyone, but it takes trust, hard work, and vigilance against the bastards who will deny these rights. Property is not, in my view, all that important. The true moral unit is a human life, and, hopefully the quality of that life. Coercion seems pathetic to me as any sort of moral dilemma next to millions of people dying of starvation while others have more than enough. There has to be a balance between allowing people to make great achievements, and giving everyone an equal shot at a good life. When bad things can be prevented from happening to people, they should be prevented (with the exception of punishment for criminals, but that should be greatly reformed as well, to focus on rehabilitation). Complaining about coercion is hosed up because life involves other people telling you what to do and asking things of you. This isn't an imposition, this is called being a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I dream of ancap
it is the perfect system
let's bring slavery back

Property is just
because life is zero sum
you win or you're poor

Objectivity
because I said so you fool
gently caress you I got mine

Compassion is over-
rated. I prefer self-interest
why don't women like me?

it's never my fault
if my ancestors did harm
RACISM IS OVER

Let us debate friends
wait that's not how I meant it
agree with me, please

it could get messy
when ancap comes. but I am
sure I'll be on top

this idea scares me
so I won't believe in it
Mature adult here

No, but seriously, I really don't know why you guys bother. Austrian economics is a religion. absolem in particular gave the game away when he said his truth is OBJECTIVE. The implication is clear. He has little self doubt because he believes his system is completely true and adequately fits everything. What can we do, other than communicate how absurd and horrible we think it all is?

• Locked thread