Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Oh hey, Hoppe was the guy who invented "argumentation ethics," in which anything that contradicts libertarianism in any way is assumed to be logically incoherent. That's not how rational human beings debate things in good faith. Ever.

"Let's play tic-tac-toe. But I get to go first and make three moves. It's only logical."

absolem posted:

How come we can have objective laws of X, but not objective morality? The sort I've suggested still seems pretty nice...
Just because we use the word "laws" to describe morality as well as, say, the ways the physical world functions doesn't mean that they're anywhere near the same thing. Laws of physics are based on careful observation of unbiased natural phenomena, rather than squishy human beings. The closest morality gets to being objective, ever, is that we can observe cause and effect for certain practices.

Of course, when we look at what the kind of unregulated society libertarians propose has actually done in real life, we find that it turns out pretty awful for non-rich people. Libertarianism seems to be weirdly naive about how human beings actually behave, and in some cases insanely hyper-cynical about how governments behave, even though they're equally made of people. Whenever people point out what has actually happened when these beliefs get practiced, you write it off as a violation of those beliefs (which doesn't at all address the fact that those beliefs can have have caused those things to happen) or just say "welp, if that happened you'd be hosed," and when a proponent of something says something like that, that's pretty damning.

absolem posted:

except that my proof of my ethics is still looking pretty ok even after a couple of you had a go at it, and your proof of the double down is obviously awful
From where I'm sitting they just totally ripped your proof of ethics to shreds, especially by pointing out how applications of it have worked out in real life. It's a form of ethics that when put into practice actively causes its own failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread