Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy
What about all of the land of the Mexican Cession? I'd say that Mexico was coerced into signing the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo. Would you give up your property if you lived in the Western United States?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

absolem posted:

Yes, same with hawaii, etc.

So everything that you own that comes from anyplace in the United States in which the land was taken by force, which is everywhere in the United States, must be returned to their rightful owner because it is stolen property, right? You can very easily track where most of the products you own were created and assembled. Are you going to go through your belongings and return your stolen property or are you going to be implicit in their theft? If you choose to retain your property are you therefore violating the NAP of the original owners of the land and all of its bounty? Does that mean that they have the absolute right to reobtain their property, even through violent means? Would it be moral for me to contact the various representatives of the peoples who originally owned the land and inform them that you have hereby donated all of your property to their ownership?

I seriously don't understand.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

absolem posted:

Because you can hand your kid the deed to your house, you can't hand them culpability for the 13 small children you murdered. you can't transfer that sort of thing? care to tell me how that would work? besides you could just not take the house

Even if you happen not to live on a patch of land not previously owned, which is unlikely, a good deal of the products you own can be tracked back to where they are derived and, by your own philosophy, you are morally culpable for not returning those products.

Did you buy fruit this week that was grown from California? You stole it. Send it back to the Mexican government.

Is your house made of lumber that came from trees grown on land that was once owned by a native tribe? You stole it. Tear your house down and send the lumber back.

Are you posting from a computer with parts made in Texas, assembled in China, and designed by the Japanese? Return it. The land those parts come from, the lands in which they were assembled, and the land in which the ideas leading to their creation were developed on were all stolen.

Wait a minute. This doesn't make any sense. It's almost like the logic that led to these ends is ridiculous and unworkable. :confused:

Edit: Grammar, I'm dumb

Shibby0709 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 23, 2014

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

absolem posted:

One of the nicest things about my beliefs are that they are objective. I mean, there is objective-ness in so many other areas, why couldn't I have it here?
This is demonstrably untrue. No system that is based on axiomatic logic can be both consistent and complete. Any attempt to try to explain morality purely by logic is ridiculous, prima facie.

Furthermore, rational thought is something that is only used for extremely limited functions by people. The vast majority of our decision making is done through heuristics, not rationality.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Who What Now posted:

But I'll ask again. What in your moral/ethical system can stop a roving gang of 600,00 Road Warrior marauders from rolling into any town they want, shooting all the able-bodied men in the face and enslaving the remainder?

Respect for the NAP, duh. If they took over a town and enslaved its inhabitants then people would refuse to trade with them, allowing the free market to prevail. It would be a lose-lose for all.

That's why we don't see violence in either history or nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

absolem posted:

I can't keep up with this at all anymore (especially since this was a queer day off from work). So, I'll leave it at this: very little got done here. I'm still not convinced that ancap-ism is wrong, but if you want to throw some other positions at me to look at, I promise to give them a fair shake and report back (if the thread is still around). I just want everyone to know that its not that I refuse to consider change, but that I'd like to be careful about it.It would be nice to find a better system, I just don't know if it exists (so point me towards one if you like).

Also, I'm still going to post in US Pol, but hopefully in a way that doesn't spawn this insanity.

Read Rawls. Many of the people in this forum and many academics agree with the system of ethics he lays out. It's not a priori, and makes no claim to be, but at least the applications of it seem to make basic sense.

Edit: Familiarizing yourself with Marx is obviously important. A little reading into behavioural economics will show how ridiculous even the axioms of an-cap philosophy is. I recommend "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman since it is new and designed as an introduction for laymen. Ha-Joon Chang is a heterodox economist and he writes very good, short books on some of the mistakes of neoclassical economics.

Further Edit: I like Joseph Stiglitz, too. His work investigating information asymmetry is pretty pivotal, and he also writes books for laymen.

Shibby0709 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 23, 2014

• Locked thread