Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
The Inaugural Failure

After making GBS threads up the US Politics May thread with my ethics discussion it was suggested that it be taken to its own thread. This is that thread. The scope of this thread is to discuss ethical and moral systems. It is not a policy thread and although it may be necessary to use historical or policy examples, they should not be the focus of debate. To start, I suppose posters should outline their ethical system or moral foundations. I will be using a pastebin link because gently caress that noise, but try to keep them concise. You should probably either post your own framework or identify with someone else's before you start debating, so others know where you are coming from, but if it doesn't turn out to be an issue, then that's cool too. This is a terrible OP, I'm sorry for wasting Snr's server space.

HAVE AT IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
So here's my go at it

http://pastebin.com/ZtYTzXiU

Fairly standard anarcho-capitalism, basically.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

VitalSigns posted:

So your entire ethical philosophy seems to rest on the inviolability of property rights and the objective requirement to define ownership based on first appropriation of land.

It would seem to follow that no one in America has the right to the land they own, whether they inherited it from the colonists or bought it, so it looks to me like the only justifiable thing is to either return it or pay compensation to the heirs of the original owners, using every available means to track them down, yet...oddly...you oppose this. Why?

Keep in mind that you've already said that no appeal to practicality can justify a violation of property rights. Ever.

Not all american land was owned (you can use it and not own it by virtue of not wanting it). If someone showed me that something I owned was actually owned by someone else, I would surrender it to them at once and so too should everyone else. That isn't the same as a blanket reparation.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

VitalSigns posted:

Okay, but some historical injustices are well-documented. For example, the territories owned by the tribes forced on the Trail of Tears.

So what if we start with that? Shouldn't all that land be returned to the descendants of those who were displaced by force from it?

Yes, it should be. A lot of that sort of thing ought to be done, and it all ought to have been done yesterday, but for some reason no one listens to me when I tell them this stuff...

Who What Now posted:

How would you respond to someone who rejects that property rights even exists, much less are the wellspring from which all other rights come?

Prove that Native Americans did not want the land. This is a bald assertion with no backing.

Many tribes had no concept of ownership
Anyway, I'll just move somewhere were no natives lived and I'll be fine (hopefully)

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Lemming posted:

At the very least America needs to be returned to Britain, they were violently forced out which was hideously immoral.

I think you mean returned to the Amerindians...

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Lemming posted:

No, I'm talking about the theoretical places that they didn't already own, according to you. Even if that were the case, Britain is the moral owner of America, so anything you own really belongs to them. If you're going to be consistent in your world view, you need to return everything you own to them, since you're not a British citizen and you have no moral claim to it.

Only in cases where englishmen owned property that was taken from them. The english gov't or whatever has no claim to anything of that sort.

Shibby0709 posted:

What about all of the land of the Mexican Cession? I'd say that Mexico was coerced into signing the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo. Would you give up your property if you lived in the Western United States?

Yes, same with hawaii, etc.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Who What Now posted:

Bullshit, prove it.

I'd rather just give it back, if its all the same to you

Lemming posted:

Hm sorry yeah they did, the colonists had contracts with the English government or companies when they came over, with the understanding that they could use the land as long as they agreed to do things like pay taxes. They stopped doing that and rebelled, which is very immoral, so the colonists were very violent towards the English government. I'm sorry you don't want to give up your stolen property, but I find your immoral acts extremely objectionable.

Well, then we better go and make sure the saxons and angles give back all the land they took from the celts.

Who What Now posted:

Also, since you seem to respond to seperate posts between separate points, here's this again:

With a debate, if it was appropriate, but otherwise no differently

GlyphGryph posted:

I might respond more later, but I want to share a very pertinent quote that had an impact on me when I was going through the same situation you seem to be now.

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." -Richard P. Feynman

At a certain point, its important to step back from your theory, stop trying to improve it, and take a long hard look at it, and then ask yourself "Does this reflect the reality of the situation?"

Improving your model, by virtue solely of making it more consistent and more stable, is not worth anything if it moves you further from the truth of the situation - its psychologically rewarding, sure, but you need to stop and think about what the purpose of it is.

I am assuming you are young, and have had pretty limited experiences in lots of ways, but that you are still open to change. Everyone should be, no matter how old they are, but being young does make it a bit more likely.

I just read "Surely you must be joking" again. Feynman is one of my favorite people. It seems that my theory lines up fine with "dah real wurld"

VitalSigns posted:

Your definition of property rights does not appear to allow for this. Is this an Ayn Rand style "oh but they were savages so they didn't understand ownership of the land they were making a living on" argument or are you really arguing that Native Americans didn't really want their land after all and were happy to hand it over to white people pointing guns at them?
no, you're right, its probably safe to assume that all native land not bought was stolen

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Lemming posted:

Yes, according to you. But I'm not actually interested in that. You're the one who's just admitted that you're living an immoral life, where you're admitting you're using property that you know for a fact is stolen. Why are you such a poo poo, according to your own moral framework? Give everything you own back to the rightful owners.

C'mon, man, put up or shut up.

I'm not though. I have no clue if any native groups owned my land, but I have a pretty good idea that no one else did.

I guess another thing is that poo poo doesn't automatically transfer to your kids. Property can be assumed to be transfered to the kid, but anything else isn't their fault

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Crowsbeak posted:

I always have loved how libertarians get around this stolen property idea by maintain that because you received what was effectively stolen but didn't know it you should be able to keep it. You know like if your dad stole some artwork from a museum, and then he dies you should definitely be able to keep the artwork he stole.

How the hell am I supposed to give it back to someone I don't even know existed?

Also, do I need to change the OP so you fools have to post ideas of your own instead of just bashing me? Its not that I don't enjoy the debate, its just annoying to have you people act like my ideas are poo poo while 1)not doing a very good job and 2)probably having ideas that are just as bad

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Because you can hand your kid the deed to your house, you can't hand them culpability for the 13 small children you murdered. you can't transfer that sort of thing? care to tell me how that would work? besides you could just not take the house

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

GlyphGryph posted:

It's good to hear. Hopefully, though, you will humour me for a little bit, then. I would argue there are two important pillars that any good moral theory must rest on: The Personal and The Practical. If you disagree, feel free to let me know, and to propose counter points as to what makes a moral theory worthwhile, but I think these points are fairly uncontentious.

For the first part, The Personal, it's a question about purpose. It's important to understand that morality is prescriptive, not descriptive - it's a theory of engineering rather than one of natural science. And as such, it comes down to the ultimate engineers dilemma - "Am the thing I making actually the thing I want?"

So look at what you've written, and do your best to imagine a world where those principles were widely adopted. Find sources where those ideals have been at least partially implement. Think of edge cases and complexities that might arise, and then decide "Is this the world I would most want to live in?" Expect to have at least your top choices here dealt a fatal blow by the next bit.

The second part, The Practical, is all about dealing with the fact that real people are not going to adopt your philosophy wholesale. They will have different values, and different priorities, and you still need to live with them. They are imperfect, and act in the heat of the moment. They have human needs. The real world is seldom as simple as the idealized ones, and a philosophy that cannot thrive, or which is prone to corruption (like communism brought about by a large-scale workers revolt) is one that is inherently flawed, and lacks this pillar. Imagine your ideal world, and then imagine what it was like if 10% of the population planned on doing everything they could to abuse, pervert, and bypass your ideology for their own benefit. Would your world survive? Is your moral philosophy robust? Can you convince people to adopt it?

The Practical ultimately leads to compromise. Compromise with the real world and with other people. You sacrifice a bit of your ideals in the hopes that you can create a cohesive morality that people will actually be willing to uphold. The morality of pacifism makes compromises for self-defense. The morality of non-aggression makes compromises by allowing aggression, but only in response... or it goes a step further, and allows it as prevention. But compromises can lead to abuses of their own. Many a good theory of morality falls apart in the details.

And without both of these pillars, any theory of morality is worthless. It's a model that does not, and can not, reflect the real world.

It's important to note, however, that the second concern is always changing - practicality is at least partially a byproduct of culture, and culture changes.

To me, your philosophy fails on both counts - The world it would lead to is not a world I would especially want to live in, especially when you consider the practical ramifications that many people in that world wouldn't give a poo poo about said morality. And the practical bit... well, let's just say there are a lot of flaws relating to implementing such a philosophy in reality in still ending up with a world that isn't utter crap. The sort of compromises Libertarian philosophy leads to are often the kind that completely destroy any appeal the ideal world may have had, while also leading to steady corruption over time of any ideals the philosophy ever had.

While I like the criteria you've set up, you move into truth in the middle nonsense. To the best of my knowledge, an ancap world (with all the realistic flaws) would be fantastic. Implementing it could get messy, but I'm comfortable with a gradual transition towards freedom. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised or upset to see similar institutions as we have now show up in new Free as in Freedom™ forms.

One of the nicest things about my beliefs are that they are objective. I mean, there is objective-ness in so many other areas, why couldn't I have it here? More than maybe anything else, the idea that there is no rational way to proscribe morality terrifies me. Ancap-ism seems to be pretty ballin', especially since nothing else seems to even remotely work, IRL or in theory.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

archangelwar posted:

Someone steals your stereo, turns around and hands it to the guy next to him for $1. Suddenly it is no longer your stereo, and the guy next to him has no culpability?

why are you even here? at least the other people berating me are largely intelligent...

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I'm going to re-say that if someone proves themselves the rightful owner of something I hold, I will honor their claim. However, at the same time I will demand restitution from the person who sold it to me because they broke their implied contract when they asserted that they had the right to sell it. This whole "theres a theoretical person who might own it because his ancestor who could have lived there might have passed it on to him" thing isn't going to cut it. I didn't steal it, they need to prove the claim, since there's been no ongoing aggression on my part.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
What I meant earlier is that I would like to think that's true, and I would be really scared to accept a system that doesn't advance that, because having irrational judegements hold sway on whether I'm an ok guy or not freaks me out.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Who What Now posted:

He's only taking what you've outlined and take it to its logical conclusion. If you dismiss it out of hand then so too can we dismiss your position out of hand.

We already do. :unsmigghh:

except he was wildly wrong about what I even said, at least most other people are actually comprehending my arguments, this rear end in a top hat was just being almost as retarded as me...

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

VitalSigns posted:

Wait wait, what? In the last thread, you admitted that your ancap world had no solution to the problem of a wealthy monopsonistic employer (or a few local wealthy employers in collusion) hiring private armies like the Pinkertons to initiate force against their workers.

How is this a wonderful utopia if wealthy landowners can hire private armies to rule the locals by force? That sounds hellish to me :shrug:

Oh and hey, you never answered my question about why it's okay for you to tell poor people victimized by superior force to move away or quitcherbitchin, but it's not okay for me to tell rich people to move if they don't like the US Government's terrible crime of coercive progressive taxation?

because the hiring of armies to rule by force and taxation involve aggression and are therefore unjustifiable.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Corvinus posted:

I've been around for more than a few right-libertarian song-and-dance routines and every single one has failed to philosophically prove why property rights are more important than any other right or human construct, especially without coming off as borderline psychopathic.

Additionally, since the human brain is imperfect and sorta messy, any morality derived from it will be imperfect and messy too. Perhaps the only way to get objective morality out of homo sapiens is to identically genetically rewire every single human brain that exists and will exist. Good loving luck.

How come we can have objective laws of X, but not objective morality? The sort I've suggested still seems pretty nice...

(note, the first bit of that is an actual question)

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Caros posted:

Because morality is by its very nature subjective and subject to change. A century and a half ago it was morally okay to own another human being, In places of the world today it still is by the local morals.

Morality is what society says it is, which is why you cannot have objective morality despite the fact that you really, really want to. Can it be your morality? Sure but I hope you reconsider because as a former libertarian I know how lovely life is when you look at the world that way. Is it Objectively true? Not at all. Just because you found a path of logic that makes it seem so doesn't mean that there aren't millions of other people using similar logic to prove that their morality is the right one.

I could logically prove that a double down is objectively the best food, but that doesn't make it anything but heart clogging garbage. Bacon is good, chicken is good, the Double down has naught but chicken and bacon. What other food has nothing but chicken and bacon? The double down is the best food.

except that my proof of my ethics is still looking pretty ok even after a couple of you had a go at it, and your proof of the double down is obviously awful

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I can't keep up with this at all anymore (especially since this was a queer day off from work). So, I'll leave it at this: very little got done here. I'm still not convinced that ancap-ism is wrong, but if you want to throw some other positions at me to look at, I promise to give them a fair shake and report back (if the thread is still around). I just want everyone to know that its not that I refuse to consider change, but that I'd like to be careful about it.It would be nice to find a better system, I just don't know if it exists (so point me towards one if you like).

Also, I'm still going to post in US Pol, but hopefully in a way that doesn't spawn this insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

XyloJW posted:

4 hours. You gave it 4 hours. You wasted everyone's time by making them respond to you.

You loving suck, and this is exactly why I don't usually allow "Debate ME" threads.

I didn't make anyone do anything. I did try to make this more than a "debate me" thread, and the conversation seems to have taken an interesting turn (people are actually talking about ethics...) since I fell behind.

Richard Feynman got brought up earlier, and for all you concerned with being nice to people and solving problems, his book "surely you must be joking mr feynman" may not be philosophy, but as a couple other people said, its a great read. (really the only time he ever seems less than nice is towards some of the women he meets) He talks a lot about logical problem solving and the like, which is really cool too.

• Locked thread