Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

absolem posted:

How the hell am I supposed to give it back to someone I don't even know existed?
Its almost as if building a political and social philosophy on the absolute primacy of individual property rights is like setting the foundation of a house on sand :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Pohl posted:

What, your thread isn't working out the way you hoped so you are blaming us? What the hell, take some personal responsibility.
And you don't give the land back, jackass, you re-evaluate your ideas because they don't work in the real world.
The only two things that are required to be passed onto your children are property and bad thread OPs.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's worth noting that academic libertarians like Robert Nozick employ side constraints in their theories to prevent someone from monopolizing everything and watching the rest of us suffer; the Lockean Proviso (you aren't allowed to take everything; you have to leave enough, and as good, for others to use) explicitly says that you have other non-property-oriented duties towards others. Nozick also thinks that any good derived from an injustice, no matter how far-removed, is owned unjustly. He literally says this outright; his principle of justice in transfer has some of the same features as logical entailment.

Awww man, I was gonna post Nozick you jerk :( He pretty much establishes that you can't have property rights that are just if the property was unjustly acquired in any way, no matter how far back you go. The only truly just property rights system involves either 1) redressing all of the past property injustices (essentially impossible) or 2) resetting everyone back to a common starting point (violates his other principles). When I read Anarchy, State and Utopia in college it was the nail in the Libertarian coffin.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shibby0709 posted:

Respect for the NAP, duh. If they took over a town and enslaved its inhabitants then people would refuse to trade with them, allowing the free market to prevail. It would be a lose-lose for all.

That's why we don't see violence in either history or nature.

As "natural" and fundamental as property rights may seem, the "strong take from the weak" is just as natural. If your political philosophy says that we all must abide by property rights and live non-aggressive or coercive lives, but has no answer for when people don't abide by those rights, then you need to examine why you think this framework was a good idea in the first place.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Are we playing guess the racist author?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

SedanChair posted:

It's all Hoppe.

You've got to admit the guy has a certain, um, Teutonic crispness
I did in fact detect a certain Master Syntax in those passages...Perhaps the superior purity of his typing?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Pohl posted:

Where did the OP go? We were having such an interesting conversation and then he just vanished.
He just found out Santa Claus doesn't exist. Have some sympathy and give him some time.

VitalSigns posted:

Turns out, the superiority of the white man can be proved a priori.
Looks like we finally found something more natural than property rights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

whydirt posted:

Oh man, for some reason all the mentions of Hoppe made me think people were just mistyping Hobbes for some reason I couldn't understand. The truth has led to a much more entertaining place.
I thought Hoppe was a famous LF troll that I had blacked out and was really struggling to remember why he was so important. I feel less bad now, thanks.

• Locked thread