Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/the_posts/status/1779301277668925527?t=G7pYC_ED4PEWvVju3uovMA&s=19

You know, I was on the fence but the guy with cte might have a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/the_posts/status/1779301277668925527?t=G7pYC_ED4PEWvVju3uovMA&s=19

You know, I was on the fence but the guy with cte might have a point.

Bryan Quimby put it best
https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1779322312094859299?t=Oq1Hca0DBQEs4dWbCpXWGw&s=19

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Indentured servitude is the term you're looking for. There was a history in America of people agreeing to work without pay for some period of time, often as as the price of passage over to America. It often gets overlooked between better living conditions, the fact that it was [supposed to be] temporary and voluntary, and the fact that it isn't sociologically relevant in any modern racial power structure.

If you go digging further back into European history there's a host of other grey areas where people enter into some kind of seemingly unfree servitude of their own free will. Supposedly a lot of serfdom got its start from people voluntarily being bound into the system because it was a mutual agreement and their labor would be reciprocated with protection from their lord, which was more relevant in much more dangerous European times. Even in ancient Rome you can dig up some weird examples of people voluntarily entering into slavery.

Famously there were a couple different ways that the South tried to reassert the old order but without the precise structures of slavery, and they had varying levels of success, but with something like working at a Ford factory, while Ford was weird and gross and creepy, is very much entirely unlike most forms of slavery because you could just leave, the primary threat is being fired. You won't be hunted down by dogs for walking off the job and you can't get sold down the river. Something like a company town might be more like slavery, and I expect Ford was more of a slavedriver with his failed rubber plantation, but just being weird and creepy to your workers is a different kind of offense.

Indentured apprenticeship was common in the trade guilds in pre-modern Europe and the colonies as well as well. The usual terms for an apprentice included trading their labor and a sum up front from the parents for room, board, clothing, and instruction for a certain number of years in exchange for education in the trade and eventually being set up as a journeyman. IIRC 7 years was the average, entered into around age 12.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Liquid Communism posted:

Indentured apprenticeship was common in the trade guilds in pre-modern Europe and the colonies as well as well. The usual terms for an apprentice included trading their labor and a sum up front from the parents for room, board, clothing, and instruction for a certain number of years in exchange for education in the trade and eventually being set up as a journeyman. IIRC 7 years was the average, entered into around age 12.

A corollary to indentured servitude was the medieval labor pledge, which especially in eastern Europe but broadly across the rest of the continent was one of the earliest forms of credit for the cash-poor countryside. Free/free-ish peasants would pledge x amounts of labor, usually denoted in months, to whichever noble/church prelate/monarch with the resources to help them build on or develop their holdings. This dropped out of prominence in both as serfdom became more prominent under the Tsars and manorial Europe squeezed the Churls increasingly down into Villeins.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Every drat time
https://twitter.com/brucefenton/status/1780174543555895609?t=ePat5WJkr1rQNfgLF_Gi6A&s=19
Libertarian in UAE calling for protestors to get murdered

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Every drat time
https://twitter.com/brucefenton/status/1780174543555895609?t=ePat5WJkr1rQNfgLF_Gi6A&s=19
Libertarian in UAE calling for protestors to get murdered

Is that the same Bruce "Bruce Fenton" Fenton who previous expatriated to Thailand, was deeply into the early bitcoin scene, and is a total creep (but I repeat myself)?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Is that the same Bruce "Bruce Fenton" Fenton who previous expatriated to Thailand, was deeply into the early bitcoin scene, and is a total creep (but I repeat myself)?

I like how my brain went hmm, libertarian in the UAE, wonder if he is a sex pest and the very next thing I see talks about him going to Thailand.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I like how my brain went hmm, libertarian in the UAE, wonder if he is a sex pest and the very next thing I see talks about him going to Thailand.

If my memory serves, the early bitcoin scene had two notable Bruces: Bruce Wagner and Bruce Fenton. Both were creeps, but one was creepier than the other ie more than usually obsessed with age of consent laws even by libertarian standard.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Pretty sure Wagner was the probable pedophile. He also had a long history of running large scale scams way before he even got into bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Bruce Wagner is particularly gross.