Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Caros posted:

Strong Francis E Dec energy.
Also reminded me a bit of the Keep America Committee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Russian-born doctors are clearly dangerous, Stalin tried to get rid of them but they got to him first :ohdear:

Is "mental hygiene" the first step of the anti-therapy stuff that scientologists and other woo folks peddle nowadays?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In this case I'm pretty sure it was just 'Jews :argh:'

There was a much more legitimate anti-psych movement around the same time, which opposed lobotomy and routine institutionalization, but those people generally weren't going on about communistic Jewish water treatments.

(Some of them were, because the whole movement did act as a bit of a crank magnet, but far from all of them were complete tinfoilers.)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This is how it always ends up with libertarians isn't it?
https://twitter.com/MiddleearthMixr/status/1760525283172426154?t=qaL_PzXoHMckOU-vhjMYlg&s=19

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Fear of mental health is actually rather strange and something I've been curious about for some time now. Someone can have what might be observably and verifiably a disorder as found in the DSM; however, there are edge cases such that this person may genuinely believe -- or at least be under the very strong impression that -- this disorder is of benefit to them in some way and it would hurt them to be deprived of it. Statistically speaking, they are nearly always mistaken, but it does still happen. It's called the Oldest Story In Psychiatry whenever someone in the manic phase of Bipolar Disorder will seek out any possible excuse to avoid taking their medication.

Perhaps the most worrying example is the Dark Triad, who are overrepresented in both criminal activity and positions of leadership in the business world. Their disorders are terrible for everyone around them, but are beneficial to themselves as individuals. A lack of empathy for others does indeed give them an edge in these worlds, if only temporarily enough to get ahead. They would likely need to justify these impulses somehow, and coincidentally, libertarian-style thought does gel neatly with that. It is a mode of thinking that seems nice, precisely until the moment when one realizes its utterly psychopathic qualities; and those have to be of genuine use to someone for libertarianism to be as wide-spread as it is.

... but for the sake of this example, fear of "mental hygenine" might also be an older form of this dynamic that may predate libertarianism's more modern form. (Perhaps not for the older variants.) People who have had the unfortunate experience of having known-or-suspected a psychopath/scoicopath or narcissist in their families are keenly aware of the absolute damage they can cause. I'm aware there is a small movement in the mid-size business world to begin screening procedures to keep the Dark Triad out of leadership positions, especially since those business can't really withstand the eventual repercussions like a large business could. (If this is a form of discrimination or not is going to end up being a serious question one of these days.) The disordered must be aware that any diagnosis would be a kiss-of-death towards them being able to operate effectively, ergo they would need to seek out justifications to protect their interests. Attempts at discrediting the very idea of "mental health" would work towards that.

Even a cursory glance at the history of Scientology would reveal it as a giant scam perpetuated by a triadic to enrich himself, so it makes a degree of sense that it wouldn't have a kind opinion of actual psychology. Its almost a stereotype that most cults and other high-pressure groups tend to have a narcissist as their beating heart, but having a doctrinal stance against psychiatry does tend to give the game away here.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Rappaport posted:

Russian-born doctors are clearly dangerous, Stalin tried to get rid of them but they got to him first :ohdear:

Is "mental hygiene" the first step of the anti-therapy stuff that scientologists and other woo folks peddle nowadays?

No, but it's the same underlying current. Mental healthcare has always been largely a institution established for and from the perspective of the social elite. Specifically from the mid 1800s to the 1950s it waxed and waned as a tool of social control. Institutionalization and increased criminalization of social non conformity acted as a method by which to impose an elitist social structure, notably, one with men on top ordered from rich to poor. Paving over women's complaints of all variation as hysteria (alongside the overuse of the surgery of the same name and lobotomy against those deemed undesirable because of anything from low perceived intelligence to expressing independence). Permanent imprisonment and effective murder by brain damage was also used, on grounds of incurable insanity, on members of elite families and many critics of society of all genders who actually took action.

This early use as a effectively elitist social cudgel permanently tarnished mental healthcare. Combined with a persistent undercurrent that mental health problems were some kind of spiritual deficiency this consolidated into a toxified view of mental health throughout society but especially among the deeply religious, who saw it as fundamentally an evil of modernization dragging people away from religion and deeply harming them. The problem being that this became dogma, and so even as mental healthcare finally shed the 1800s baggage it still got a terrible reputation in culture, not helped by the fact it's much harder to measure outcomes and dispense with pseudoscience in mental healthcare.

Mental hygiene generally refers to the dystopian state sponsored mental health system of the 1920s-50s when it was heavily influenced by the eugenics movement. Essentially, germane complaints up until the dismantling of institutionalization, and a cultural fossil afterwards.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I rather liked how they fit the boot all the way in their mouth yesterday.

https://twitter.com/LPNational/status/1760436258675863718?t=fBhlLO6mKtsdxaaAD3hPdw&s=19

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
That's just straight up Russian propaganda.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jesus III posted:

That's just straight up Russian propaganda.

To be clear, one of the "illegal activities" was contempt of Court. Specifically that he didn't attend a court hearing because he was in a German hospital after being poisoned by the Russian government.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Caros posted:

To be clear, one of the "illegal activities" was contempt of Court. Specifically that he didn't attend a court hearing because he was in a German hospital after being poisoned by the Russian government.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I feel like exposing information the US doesn't want you to expose is also illegal. That doesn't make it wrong but it's still illegal. Sounds like statism to me!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat why cant these crazy people just make good soap

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/hide0usk0jima/status/1760859938669339129

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It never ceases to amaze how weird Milei always looks.

Navalny never annoyed an Ecuadorian embassy into handing him over by skateboarding indoors.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RFK Jr. attended the California Libertarian Party convention today to give a speech and put his hat in the ring for an endorsement, but he only got 1 out of 95 votes from the delegates.

He apparently lost a lot of support when he was confused after being asked to support "privatizing the air" and said he wasn't for it.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1761582841790648582

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1761573177199861966

Kennedy also apparently loves Milei.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1761579977861161398

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 26, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Speaking of which,
https://twitter.com/LPNational/status/1762144495007576496?t=wiIgxuKHti8BU_rRlil5zw&s=19

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Genuinely, seriously waiting for the news a month down the line about how Argentina is on fire because it turns out he slashed every safety standard and emergency service or something like that. Which these same people will quietly ignore, or call it a boom for the privatized fire department industry.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What an endorsement of Bill Clinton.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

For the month. You have to do it all year long, buddy. They also have 20.54% inflation and 264% for the last 12 months. If Elon wants that, good for him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

RFK Jr. attended the California Libertarian Party convention today to give a speech and put his hat in the ring for an endorsement, but he only got 1 out of 95 votes from the delegates.

He apparently lost a lot of support when he was confused after being asked to support "privatizing the air" and said he wasn't for it.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1761582841790648582

"privatizing the air" just makes me think of Spaceballs and the canned air.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
How does a budget surplus translate to prosperity?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends on who you care about the prosperity being for.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Number went up. What more can you ask for?!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

It means the government isn't spending money, allowing the free market to efficiently faaaarrrrttttt

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

"That's from all the communism they had this whole time" is what they're all shrieking.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SlothfulCobra posted:

It never ceases to amaze how weird Milei always looks.

He looks like he just stumbled off a bus from 1970s British crime show.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's like a wish.com knockoff Wolverine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Margaret Thatcher's secret final Falklands peace treaty condition was that a bloke with huge sideburns would destroy the whole society even worse than she did to Britain.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guavanaut posted:

Margaret Thatcher's secret final Falklands peace treaty condition was that a bloke with huge sideburns would destroy the whole society even worse than she did to Britain.

Five-time consecutive winner of the International Dress Like Gareth Thomas From Blake's 7 Competition.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

"privatizing the air" just makes me think of Spaceballs and the canned air.

Obligatory

Note that this is portraying Donald as going insane from hunger, lack of sleep and physical exhaustion, not as a visionary genius

Also looking at this now, the lawyer mouse's nose seems like a bit of a :dogwhistle: :ohdear:

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Privatizing the air, if im remembering my :bahgawd: properly, refers to the old common law "from the depths of hell to the gates of heaven" of common law. Libertarians want to have the power to either stop aircraft from flying over their land or charge them rent to do so. This being obviously the least workable thing ever they love it as a concept.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Privatizing the air, if im remembering my :bahgawd: properly, refers to the old common law "from the depths of hell to the gates of heaven" of common law. Libertarians want to have the power to either stop aircraft from flying over their land or charge them rent to do so. This being obviously the least workable thing ever they love it as a concept.

Also presumably if you own the air your factory is dumping poo poo into you can't be sued/taxed/charged for polluting it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm just imagining RFK Jr. giving a speech about the dangers of vaccines, the power of positive thinking to make real physical changes, and how Argentina's 240% inflation rate is a pretty great accomplishment with the entire Libertarian convention nodding along sagely.

Then, he says, "How do you privatize the air?" and the entire convention suddenly turns on him.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Barrel Cactaur posted:

It is literally what countries do with their airspace? If you aren't part of a reciprocal agreement, you wanna fly over it, you pay. If don't want to pay, go around. There is law specifically around how far up you can claim (a neighbour would have to negotiate with you to run a power line over your property, even if a pole didn't sit in it) and how far into the ground in most countries.

Also, that Russia propaganda is Russian propaganda but Assange is essentially a whistleblower so defending the UK/AUS governments willingness to toss him to their lord and master the US; however much the intent was to poo poo on libertarians, is not great.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It is literally what countries do with their airspace?

My dude, the context was entities smaller than nation states, such as individual landholders, privatising the little parcel of air above their land, not the well established system of national airspace.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Also countries are not doing metered consumption of air by breathing humans (yet. Give the US some time)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The globe is already on fire, it's just a matter of time really

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

For some reason, the Libertarian party is using their donor money to sponsor online polls on Twitter.

They are also coming in dead last and only pulling 2% of the vote in the poll they sponsored.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762567736599658599

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Well, if you're a rich person, you lobby your state legislature to put in laws mandating that any budget surplus must be used to reduce taxes on businesses and the rich, rather than any other expense. Then generate a spurious surplus year after year buy not funding social services, education, or infrastructure.

https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2022/03/01/reynolds-signs-income-and-corporate-tax-cuts-into-law/

All on the Cato Institute libertarian theory of removing state income tax.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 28, 2024