Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Assange isn't the whistle-blower. He's an opportunist who published the work of a whistle-blower.

Assange is to journalism what Musk is to industry.

(10 Print This Snipe Sucks 20 goto Ecuador)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

For some reason, the Libertarian party is using their donor money to sponsor online polls on Twitter.

They are also coming in dead last and only pulling 2% of the vote in the poll they sponsored.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1762567736599658599

There's something poetic about the free market loving the libertarians.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mooseontheloose posted:

There's something poetic about the free market loving the libertarians.

Something something that China Miellville quote about libertarians being loser capitalists something something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Weatherman posted:

My dude, the context was entities smaller than nation states, such as individual landholders, privatising the little parcel of air above their land, not the well established system of national airspace.

The context of the "property rights extend up and down indefinitely" thing is mostly about mineral rights. IE: You own the oil beneath your property, and people can't dig a tunnel beneath you to get it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

The context of the "property rights extend up and down indefinitely" thing is mostly about mineral rights. IE: You own the oil beneath your property, and people can't dig a tunnel beneath you to get it.

Pretty sure that one's milkshake can indeed be drank.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So how do downward rights work? does everyone terminate at a point at earth core? what about up rights? earth travels through a celestial sphere and on a long enough timeline there's measureable shifting with respect to some arbitrary non inf. but far away distant point

also how did Libs get air, a gas to respect the geometric property lines of humans?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

So how do downward rights work? does everyone terminate at a point at earth core? what about up rights? earth travels through a celestial sphere and on a long enough timeline there's measureable shifting with respect to some arbitrary non inf. but far away distant point

Whatever is most profitable for the libertarian presenting the argument at that moment.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PhazonLink posted:

also how did Libs get air, a gas to respect the geometric property lines of humans?

The fist one depends on your location. Your land rights go as far as your local government specified when they gave you that rights.

For the second: The same way they get water and fish to respect their planned privatizations of those.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Something something that China Miellville quote about libertarians being loser capitalists something something.

loser libertarians want to destroy government. the real Owners parasitize the government and bend it to their will.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
mmmm i wouldnt mind parasitizing the government if they made the host gov. stronger and better because a good healthy long term host is well a healthy long term host

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think anyone has actually proposed privatizing air aside from rhetorical questions and Donald Duck when in the thrall of a cursed viking helmet.

PhazonLink posted:

Nobody's ever gotten past the crust, so it's never really come up. Anybody with some kind of drilling setup that could go that deep would have to deal with a bunch of other poo poo beyond just property rights.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Our neighbours make vaguely threatening posts on Facebook whenever they see a drone going over their property

I think they think it’s me but it isn’t

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Weatherman posted:

My dude, the context was entities smaller than nation states, such as individual landholders, privatising the little parcel of air above their land, not the well established system of national airspace.

I covered where you can charge for use of space in my post. If some private business wants to put a wire over your land, they have to negotiate with you. Depending on country, they might be able to get government authority to not have to deal with you or you might be in a country where the government has to negotiate with you to put a wire over your land. How far that private ownership of airspace above your land extends depends on the country.

Likewise, into the ground. For Australia and a lot of countries, you owning the land comes with being able to dig down to establish footings for your domicile or to farm the nutrients from but you don't own the mineral rights - they are retained by the crown and may be sold/leased separately. Historically you owned water that fell upon your land (never water that flowed through) but that is now being separated out in Australia as well. Mainly to buy back environmental flows from farmers but it is being used by commercial operations as well.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Rappaport posted:

Is "mental hygiene" the first step of the anti-therapy stuff that scientologists and other woo folks peddle nowadays?

Unironically, yes. I wrote a research paper on this in grad school.

Back in 1955, before Alaska had become a full-fledged state, Congress was debating the Alaska Mental Health Enabling Act, a law that would allocate funding to develop a mental health infrastructure for the Alaska Territory. Before then, the only way to get mental healthcare in Alaska involved being assessed by a jury to be ruled sane or insane. Patients were often kept in prison until they were either deemed sane, or until transfer to a private hospital in Oregon could be arranged. At no point in this process were mental health professionals involved.

By the end of 1955 a small group of concerned Catholic housewives calling themselves the American Public Relations Forum (APRF) operating out of Burbank, California, had caught wind of the bill. The APRF had previously led a successful campaign pushing UNESCO-produced materials out of Los Angeles schools. They also pushed back against other laws meant to bolster mental healthcare in California. In their eyes, modern mental healthcare was a Jewish communist plot, and Alaska’s proximity to Siberia just meant that the bill was meant to introduce stealth-gulags.

They joined up with similar groups, such as the Keep America Committee and the Minute Women of the U.S.A.; the latter of which was especially prolific in local politics in Texas. During the fifties and sixties they absolutely terrorized the Houston educational system, organizing mass phone calls and letter writing campaigns, eventually taking over the school board They were responsible for having dozens of teachers and school administrators fired for supposed communist sympathies. They once succeeded in stopping the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker organization, from being able to meet in Houston, because Alger Hiss had once attended one of their meetings.

By the time 1956 rolled around resistance against the bill consisted of anti-Communists, anti-internationalists, libertarians, white supremacists and the Church of Scientology. The church had been founded three years prior, and saw the bill as a perfect vehicle to get traction on a national stage. To this day, fighting against the Alaska Mental Health Enabling Act is presented as the church’s first battle on the national stage against the evils of psychiatry, referring to it as the ‘Siberia Act.’

L. Ron Hubbard himself penned a booklet, Brain-Washing: A Synthesis of the Russian Textbook on Psychopolitics, which was basically designed to be the Protocols of the Elders of Zion for psychiatry. It claimed to have been written by Lavrenty Beria, chief of the Soviet Secret Police, in 1936. According to the book, pretty much every form of psychiatry, as well as child labour laws and the Income Tax Act of 1909, were communist plots meant to subvert the United States and create a pliant, servile population.

Even before Hubbard’s own estranged son admitted his dad was the author of the book, pretty much nobody outside of hysterical anti-communist cranks paid any kind of heed to it. Even those who didn’t recognize the Scientology language used in the books (phrases like thinkingness or psycho-political technology) saw that it was clearly crackpot stuff with very little basis in reality.

Fortunately the bill had the support of more mainstream religious groups and the Alaska territorial government. As such the alliance of Scientology and the fledgling movement of schoolboard terrorists gained very little traction in Congress. Barry Goldwater put forward a minor amendment clarifying that the commitment procedures laid out in the bill could not be used to move a US citizen from the lower 48 states to Alaska, and the final bill passed through the Senate unanimously.

In spite of this, Scientology’s internal teachings still claim that they were the only ones who managed to stop the ‘Siberia, U.S.A.’ bill. According to the Church’s reading of history, the Alaska Mental Health Enabling Act was a direct response by the psychiatric profession to Scientology ‘exposing them’ - an attempt to build a concentration camp in the wastes of Alaska where any critics of psychiatry could be put away.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Skios posted:

Unironically, yes. I wrote a research paper on this in grad school.

:words:

This is a cool effort post, thanks!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The New Hampshire state legislature just beat back a bill proposed by libertarians to remove all permitting requirements and regulation around owning kangaroos, skunks, Asian short-tailed monkeys, raccoons, foxes, and otters as pets.

quote:

The bill would allow Granite Staters to keep red-tailed kangaroos, small-tailed monkeys, raccoons, foxes, otters and skunks as companion animals without a permit.

quote:

The Humane Society opposed the bill, calling it "crazy."

"Kangaroos could kill children and maim people," said Kurt Ehrenberg, of the Humane Society. "I mean, some of these animals, it's just inane to even think of them as household pets."

quote:

State representatives raised concerns about the threat of violence posed by kangaroos.

"They can beat the crap out of somebody," said state Rep. Catherine Sofikitis, D-Nashua. "They're not just like a little thing that you can go to the movies with."

quote:

Other lawmakers received input from constituents with experience living alongside short-tailed monkeys in Southeast Asia.

"He told me that they are like perpetually vicious and angry and petulant 2-year-olds," said state Rep. Judy Aron, R-Acworth. "That's how they behave, and there's no reasoning with them. There's no training them, and they can be pretty awful."

quote:

Some said the legislation's use of the term "companion animal" is also problematic.

"I think part of the most concerning part of this bill was they would be all designated as 'companion animals,' which means that in a disaster, they would have to be housed," said state Rep. Barbara Comtois, R-Barnstead.

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-hampshire-bill-kangaroos-monkeys-pets-3524/60101453

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"He told me that they are like perpetually vicious and angry and petulant 2-year-olds," said state Rep. Judy Aron, R-Acworth. "That's how they behave, and there's no reasoning with them. There's no training them, and they can be pretty awful."

Sounds more like he was describing Libertarians :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Libertarians: they are like perpetually vicious and angry and petulant 2-year-olds, That's how they behave, and there's no reasoning with them. There's no training them, and they can be pretty awful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think she took the right position on this bill, but I am concerned that Catherine Sofikitis, D-Nashua apparently takes her pets to the movies?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm imagining New Hampshire ending up with a permanent feral kangaroo population. I'm enjoying the mental image.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They would have to libertarian further to get the bear population up to take out the kangaroos

Unless they united against the humans…

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They could fight the feral pigs.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there is nothing in the laws of God nor Man that say a free man on the land cannot take as his goodly wife a She-'Roo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

They would have to libertarian further to get the bear population up to take out the kangaroos

Unless they united against the humans…

That's the beauty of it. When winter comes the Kangaroos simply freeze to death.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What if they breed and we get a new species of Beararoos who are bouncy, claw-punchy, and long neckedly bitey?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Panfilo posted:

Libertarians:

Panfilo posted:

they are like perpetually vicious and angry and petulant 2-year-olds

Panfilo posted:

That's how they behave, and there's no reasoning with them.

Panfilo posted:

There's no training them, and they can be pretty awful.
Any one of these would be :discourse: as a title

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Professor Shark posted:

What if they breed and we get a new species of Beararoos who are bouncy, claw-punchy, and long neckedly bitey?

Die, I Guess

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Think wider. Kangaroo bats, for instance. Or kangaroo bunnies. Bunnaroo writes itself.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Whoever wrote that bill has no understanding or, nor respect for, the unholy piles of meat and muscle that are red kangaroos.

Those fuckers weigh 80 kilos, go at 40mph and plough straight through fences, animals and any sense you ever had of a loving god. They've got really strong legs and will lean back on their tails and rip your guts out with their foot claws. They'll jump straight out in front of your car, crumple your front end, crush your radiator, and then just stand up and hop off. Do not gently caress with red kangaroos.

Grey kangaroos are cool though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

is NH's climate a good niche for kangaroos and Asian short-tailed monkeys? asking for hypothetical lols of an invasive species vector.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hooman posted:

Whoever wrote that bill has no understanding or, nor respect for, the unholy piles of meat and muscle that are red kangaroos.

Those fuckers weigh 80 kilos, go at 40mph and plough straight through fences, animals and any sense you ever had of a loving god. They've got really strong legs and will lean back on their tails and rip your guts out with their foot claws. They'll jump straight out in front of your car, crumple your front end, crush your radiator, and then just stand up and hop off. Do not gently caress with red kangaroos.

Also, tree kangaroos

JK all roos are cool

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

hooman posted:

Great, just what we need in the northeast US - Even Worse Deer.

Then again, it'd be pretty great to get a kangaroo loving up the guy up the road who baits deer to shoot.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SpeakSlow posted:

Think wider. Kangaroo bats, for instance. Or kangaroo bunnies. Bunnaroo writes itself.

Libertarians getting access to infinite craft seems like the worst timeline.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Libertarian thinks online polls are the answer, more at 11.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1766146335466520763

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

hooman posted:

Also they will kill dogs the moment they feel threatened.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Libertarian thinks online polls are the answer, more at 11.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1766146335466520763

Mail in voting is compromised! Switch to that bastion of honesty and security, the Internet!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Willatron posted:

Mail in voting is compromised! Switch to that bastion of honesty and security, the Internet!

Don't blame me; I voted for Weedlord Bonerhitler, apparently

that said, I wish our incoming Goku Administration nothing but the very best

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Willatron posted:

but i pay musk 8$? thats secure!

*a troll farm uses a bunch of stolen card numbers*

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

disposablewords posted:

Great, just what we need in the northeast US - Even Worse Deer.

Then again, it'd be pretty great to get a kangaroo loving up the guy up the road who baits deer to shoot.

showed roo videos to a friend and he said "they're deer who've been to prison"

so yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think a moose can take aroo