Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sephyr posted:

Has anyone found any entertaining libertarian takes on the whole Gamespot/Robin Hood/Melvin debacle?

I mean, they can't even hope to pin this on big government action (though they will of course try).

The government didn't stop the hedge funds from manipulating the market ergo the government is at fault. Simple as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

polymathy posted:

Wall Street has been profiting off of financial bubbles engineered by the Fed, coupled with bailouts when they get into trouble, for decades. The financialization of the economy has caused it to become more distorted and abstract. Instead of a sound economy where entrepreneurs have to figure out better ways to produce goods and services that consumers actually want to buy, we have a system that rewards corporate leeches and parasites who produce little or nothing.

Worse, they enrich themselves at the public expense. There has been a massive upward transfer to wealth, accelerated by COVID lockdowns, and there has been an attitude among elites that they are allowed to profit from this system, but not regular Americans.

I personally love that some regular people are exposing this hypocrisy and beating Wall Street at their own corrupt game. It's an absolute outrage that the oligarchs decided to unilaterally change the rules simply because they happened to be losing at a game whose rules they established.

Whatever you want to call this system, whether it be fascism, corporatism, cronyism, whatever, it certainly has nothing to do with libertarianism or the free market.

Who What Now posted:

The government didn't stop the hedge funds from manipulating the market ergo the government is at fault. Simple as.

Nothing but net

E

quote:

I don't make the same mistakes with Leftist. I comprehend left-wing ideologies, I could state them in a way that Leftists would agree with, and I genuinely assume their beliefs are genuine and sincere.

Jrod you've been trying and failing to understand left-wing idealogies for over five years now.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 2, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jrod what's your IQ? Whip it out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The weird part is that there's no reason to specifically keep talking about the secession of the american south prior to the civil war. Jrod's ultimate point is that he and other libertarians should be able to take their balls and go home to Galt's Gulch except in Texas. But he absolutely cannot resist saying "oh and also the South should have been allowed to make a slave-holding nation. Stopping them was immoral."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

polymathy posted:

Yeah, honestly I'm not going to spent 3 hours watching a YouTube video about The Bell Curve.

We're not talking about race and IQ, or Charles Murray.

The subject at hand is whether or not intelligence differs between individuals. Anyone with any familiarity with the real world understands that intelligence differs wildly between people.

Yes, Tesla having an IQ of 310 is pretty unlikely. However, I think a fair estimate is that Tesla's IQ was somewhere between 160 and 200 given what we know about his accomplishments and the verified IQ scores of his contemporaries.

Why is IQ so important to you? Why does being able to (and I cannot put enough quotes around this) "quantify" intelligence so integral to your arguments?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

polymathy posted:

What do you mean by "assign IQ to third parties after the fact"?

IQ tests are imperfect attempts to quantify a real thing, which is human intelligence. Whatever it's deficiencies, it's obvious that intelligence differs substantially between individuals.

Therefore, I am arguing in favor or hierarchies of competence. Democracy, whether in the workplace or outside of it, all suffer from the problem that they elevate the opinion of the less knowledgeable, less competent with the more knowledgeable and more competent.

Intelligence isn't competence.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Can't be, it's too clear and concise and doesn't link to a single outside article

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jrod I scored higher than you on SATs and I'm the stupidest person ITT besides yourself. You are in no way above-average intelligence.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Wait for real?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If fascists cannot find an enemy they will quickly invent one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jrod if you don't assign any valuation of worth to IQ then why is it so important to you that you be acknowledged as being above average?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Posting on the lucky page

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that only reinforces my point in that it suggests that rational people above all else want to stop having to be rational.

That sound pretty ideal to me

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We're a page away from someone unironically being called a "filthy breeder"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

How do Libertarians even define ownership in terms of things like land?

Fences. That's it. If it has a fence then someone owns it. If it doesn't then you can build your own fence and then it's yours.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cakebaker posted:

Within the libertarian framework, couldn't you just argue that a government is an entity which has laid claim to a specific area of land and has set up certain rules that you must follow for being on that land. What is the typical response to that?

No because Libertarians don't recognize any form of collective ownership. One person has to make all the decisions or it doesn't count.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A king is fine, but a president with a cabinet makes it filthy statist oppression.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's actually both but more the latter than the former.

Every libertarian thinks they're going to be the Water Baron

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

Guess it's time to do a little diving.

For your own health I would advise against it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ironically almost all paleo-conservatives are pissed at Biden for ending the Forever Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Does anyone have that post in the Erpisa threads of the people scrambling to be the first to see the giant Mecha fights? This is the most relevant thread I could imagine to ask.