Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Talmonis posted:

Lighten up Francis, the only person salty about this is you.

You're coming across really butthurt. Just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know who martin shkreli is.

E: Oh some rich guy who went to prison for fraud, I see. Scapegoat for an institutional problem.

He's also such an obvious psychopath and so unbelievably smug and arrogant that as the court churned through literally hundreds of jury candidates trying to find people who didn't hate his guts when they walked in the door, people who knew literally nothing about him responded to "do you think you can judge him impartially" with "he looks like a weasel."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JustJeff88 posted:

... After all, isn't my vote, even with a heavy heart, reflect a general approval?...

:what:

No one who isn't a gigantic moron sees X votes for a candidate and thinks "this means X people love the candidate and agree with everything they say." No one. Large swaths of the population have been voting against candidates rather than for them or voting for certain policy points but not others since day one.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 24, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

If they vote for another candidate to "show their preference" then how can you say they want E to win? If they wanted that, surely they'd just vote for E. What's the difference here between preference and "I want this person to win"?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sax Solo posted:

I can say they want E to win because I made up the test case lol. If your point is that they voted wrong given the intentions I gave them, my point is that IRV says it's supposed to be safe for them to put their hearts' choice first and their serious choice second.

If what you meant was their strategic voting choice was E but they really wanted someone else, you did an amazingly bad job explaining the scenario. As explained, you said they wanted E, then voted for not-E, which makes no sense.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I disagree

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Somfin posted:

It's fascist, of course. The core ideal of fascism is not the destruction of the other, but the redefinition of all things as being part of a hierarchy which is currently out of order and can be simply ordered. Those below you in the hierarchy are to be subjugated and optionally destroyed as they are unnecessary and unworthy, while those above you in the hierarchy would be to be worshipped and served if they existed, which, of course, they don't. Look at our little JRod here- after bringing up IQ and claiming it as his ordering mechanism, he tries desperately to claim that he is in fact one of those elite who would be spared destruction at the hands of his betters, but will never, ever risk actually testing that.

Fascism is about ethno nationalism, a return to a mythologized and mythological golden age, militarism, strength as chief or only virtue, and a narrative of victimhood. Not all authoritarian hierarchies are fascist--though all fascists are authoritarian and love hierarchies--I don't think it's helpful to try to argue that everything that's hierarchical or otherwise bad is specifically fascist.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dirk the Average posted:

It's because it's Econ 101. It's like how you learn physics in a frictionless vacuum before you go ahead and start throwing in other variables. The idea is to give you a very simple situation where you're not dealing with edge cases, and explain how that sort of situation may work. It's not directly applicable to reality in the same way that frictionless vacuums aren't directly applicable to reality, but the general concept of raising a price results in fewer units sold vs lowering a price results in more units sold is going to be generally correct in many situations.

My econ 101 class started with "what is an economic model and what is it for." The professor gave basic concepts of several different models, their entry points, and their theories of value. Then he gave examples of how they could be used to make predictions and highlighted how the predictions are different.

He did all this specifically to avoid the easily foreseeable outcome of students taking the intro class and then stopping, and going about life thinking they know jack poo poo. I am deeply suspicious of any econ professor who doesn't do the same without at least announcing at the start that this is all spherical vacuum cows.

At least the physics students go in with the intuitive understanding that air resistance exists.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Panfilo posted:

This is part of the "Capitalism cannot fail, only be failed" bullshit right?

I see it as ideological fundamental attribution bias.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/LibertariansDP/status/1538654916671053824?t=yI0utRv-HTAouvSCTlAGfQ&s=19
Not sure what it has to do with Libertarianism, except that they seem to view the existence of vegans as some dire threat to their own existence of scarfing down the entire cow-everything but the moo.

There's definitely a subset of yeoman-Libertarian who love to be smug about correcting misconceptions about unsustainable farming practices in the most condescending and straw man way possible.

Good ol toxic masculinity. Eating meat is manly, like being a captain of industry. So of course they laser focus onto pushes for meat reduction, to the exclusion of even other agriculture related climate change stuff.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vahakyla posted:

Vast amount of the US, eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa, are natural pasture land.

The great plains are the product of multi generational geo engineering projects from indigenous peoples.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OwlFancier posted:

There may well not be an america at that point, primarily because there has not been the necessary social development to keep pace with the technological development we have already undergone.

It is already possible to eliminate a great deal of labour, but it is not done because our social structure is centered around the uneven distribution of power, and that drive to make it more uneven leads directly to overproduction and wasteful methods of resource utilization.

The suffering will not end until the common man has the ability to turn himself into a methane-breathing human-canine hybrid with huge knockers.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fister Roboto posted:

Lately I've had an idea in my head for a dystopian story where it's the opposite - only the rich are allowed to die. If you've got any debt, they pump you full of immortality drugs to keep you going until you pay it off (also the cost of the immortality drugs gets added to your debt).

Maybe a little too grim.

IME this doesn't really work for anyone who doesn't have depression brain. They'd spend the story going "why do they want to die instead of for their lives to be less lovely?"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"This" in my post refers to the story hook. The hypothetical non depressed people are readers.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And then later that guy wearing a suit two or three sizes too big worked himself into a frothing rage over the existence of seatbelt laws and state-mandated driver's licenses.

Was this the same event where a guy got booed for saying he didn't think you should be allowed to sell heroin to schoolkids?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SlothfulCobra posted:

I recommend not trying to find a contract killer online because actually there isn't a secret wonderland of professional assassins who make their services publicly available to randos like you.

I read about a case in China where a guy tried to hire a hitman, who then tried to subcontract the hit to another guy, who did the same, through a chain of like six dudes, until the last hitman approached the victim and said "hey, I was hired to kill you, but if you fake your death and lay low for a while, we can split the money." The victim said "ok" then immediately went to the police because he was the only person in this entire fiasco who wasn't a complete moron.

Point is, even if you find a hitman online who isn't a cop, you're still dealing with the kind of person willing to take a murder contract.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They're not. Libertarians generally view NAP as a one-way street, a way to decry what they perceive to be as aggression toward themselves/their property, and not reflecting anything they themselves do. Sure, they may talk big talk about voluntarist consideration of others, but in practice if what they want conflicts with the body or property of others, they manage to think up a justification for it that squares with NAP. It all boils down to what we've been formulating for years: American libertarianism is nothing more than a mask for naked selfishness.

I believe you're right, and unsurprisingly it came from when Jrod cited a Cato Institute (I think) "study" that found the UAE to be a more free state than the US.

Was this the one that deemed, like, New Zealand to be a libertarian utopia?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lol. But also, yeah they do. Lots of big companies donate to awful causes, from charities that discriminate against queer people, to the Republican party.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm imagining New Hampshire ending up with a permanent feral kangaroo population. I'm enjoying the mental image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hooman posted:

Whoever wrote that bill has no understanding or, nor respect for, the unholy piles of meat and muscle that are red kangaroos.

Those fuckers weigh 80 kilos, go at 40mph and plough straight through fences, animals and any sense you ever had of a loving god. They've got really strong legs and will lean back on their tails and rip your guts out with their foot claws. They'll jump straight out in front of your car, crumple your front end, crush your radiator, and then just stand up and hop off. Do not gently caress with red kangaroos.

Grey kangaroos are cool though.

Also, tree kangaroos

JK all roos are cool