Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

tbp posted:

It seems to be a lot of rhetoric and memes rather than discussion around here.
:psyduck:

tbp posted:

Heh

tbp posted:

This is not the case.

tbp posted:

:rolleyes:

tbp posted:

Both are ridiculous and not suited to the real world.

tbp posted:

I don't see a lot of contradiction there to be honest.

tbp posted:

Yes

tbp posted:

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

danieljmitchell posted:

And what matters most of all is the long-run impact. You can rape and pillage upper-income taxpayers in the short run

Yes this is a perfectly appropriate term to use

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Buried alive posted:

I thought that was a sick parody at first. Couldn't watch it after about the third "don't pay taxes." Taking advantage of a charitable cause like that is pretty messed up.

"Study Austrian Economics" - the surest way to fight against the established order!

Love how the guy emphasises each word by throwing his body into a series of spasms - albeit not all movement is likely voluntary.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Political Whores posted:

He wouldn't be the first person to use verbosity as a substitute for truth.

...you rang? :smug:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Walter Block is a psycho holy poo poo. I mean I already knew he was but what is this.
Speaking of said psycho, Block will be back on the Majority Report this week. This amazing performance basically turned me into a subscriber for the show.

Don't know which day specifically, but I'll post the link once it's up.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

The hilarious thing is, Block's been making the 'forced bisexuality' argument for a while - at near the end that MJ show I linked, a caller brought up that he made the same argument when debating Tom Hartman in 2010 (and they play the piece), and of course made the same argument to Seder in their first debate in 2014.

He's apparently really proud of it. :psyduck:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

As usual, any jrod sentence that starts with "I'm sure you're aware" :smug: can be immediately dismissed as nonsense based on just that phrasing alone, just to give a little more evidence (cough) of just how loving little research informs jrdod's clueless opinion:

Survey: Anti-vaccine views have little correlation with politics

quote:

The latest data comes from a survey of 2,316 U.S. adults by a researcher who works at the universities of Yale and Harvard. While questions about human-caused climate change divided along political lines--with liberals believing it is happening and conservatives denying it--there was no such correlation with anti-vaccine views. The vast majority of people believe the benefits of childhood vaccinations outweigh the risks, regardless of their politics. And the survey found anti-vaccine views are more common among Republicans.

Although the data clashes with some peoples' perception of the typical vaccine skeptic, it chimes with previous surveys. In 2009 the Pew Research Center found almost 50% more Democrats than Republicans said they would take the swine flu vaccine. More detailed data emerged last year from a Public Policy Polling survey of 1,247 U.S. voters. PPP found 12% of people who described themselves as very liberal believe vaccines cause autism, compared with 22% of hardline conservatives.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

Apparently Kevin Sorbo is not only a hardcore religious conservative, he's also an AnCap/Libertarian. As are Tuvok and Ensign Kim;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2kVRKSyU8

This is the only quote in the entire trailer:

"This movie contains moving images, and also sound."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

EDIT: Curse you WWW :argh:

My libertarian vacation nightmare

quote:

There’s a lot of American cowboy culture in Honduras, but along with silly hats, Honduras has also taken one of our other worst ideas—libertarian politics. By the time I’d made it to San Pedro Sula, I’d seen much of the countryside and culture. It’s a wonderful place, filled with music, great coffee, fabulous cigars and generous people, but it’s also a libertarian experiment coming apart.

quote:

In America, libertarian ideas are attractive to mostly young, white men with high ideals and no life experience that live off of the previous generation’s investments and sacrifice. I know this because as a young, white idiot, I subscribed to this system of discredited ideas: Selfishness is good, government is bad. Take what you want, when you want and however you can. Poor people deserve what they get, and the smartest, hardworking people always win. So get yours before someone else does. I read the books by Charles Murray and have an autographed copy of Ron Paul’s “The Revolution.” The thread that links all the disparate books and ideas is that they fail in practice. Eliminate all taxes, privatize everything, load a country up with guns and oppose all public expenditures, you end up with Honduras.

quote:

The greatest examples of libertarianism in action are the hundreds of men, women and children standing alongside the roads all over Honduras. The government won’t fix the roads, so these desperate entrepreneurs fill in potholes with shovels of dirt or debris. They then stand next to the filled-in pothole soliciting tips from grateful motorists. That is the wet dream of libertarian private sector innovation.

quote:

For our last meal in San Pedro Sula, my family walked a couple blocks from our fortress-like bed and breakfast to a pizza restaurant. It was the middle of the day and we were the only customers. We walked through the gated walls and past a man in casual slacks with a pistol belt slung haphazardly around his waist. Welcome to an Ayn Rand’s libertarian paradise, where your extra-large pepperoni pizza must also have an armed guard.

quote:

Honduras has problems but people should go visit anyway and soon. The dangers are fleeting, and there are coffee plantations to tour, ruins to see, cigars to smoke and fish to catch. The people need your tourism dollars. As a bonus, it’s important for Americans to see the outcome when the bad ideas of teenage boys and a bad Russian writer are put into practice.
:drat:

In before "This is obviously not an example of a libertarian experiment because <reasons>"

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

For further reading on the minimum wage, see

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

How many of you have ever run a business where you have had to pay employees a wage?

Have any of you ever MANAGED A DENNY'S?!?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Remember the Libertarian Honduras Paradise story?

Guess what - apparently libertarians didn't like it!

quote:

The most dangerous thing you can do on the Internet is to send your banking information to a mysterious Nigerian prince. The second most dangerous thing you can do is to write even the most tepid criticism of libertarians.

quote:

But there were comments that went too far, such as those that addressed my parenting skills or that examined my decade-old divorce. I was unprepared for the fire hose of rage and invective. In fact, it’s hard to overstate just how furious—and proud of it—this segment of America seems.

quote:

Every badly written blog and hysterical, spittle-flecked Internet video only further proves the point that these people have serious problems.
Never saw this one coming!

quote:

The biggest criticism I’ve heard while writing various pieces is that I was “never really a libertarian.”

quote:

I know that I do things that piss off libertarians, because I would have been infuriated by my own observations just a few short years ago. Most of all, I employ the shorthand of using “conservative,” “libertarian” and “Tea Party” interchangeably. Some libertarians think this is unfair to “pure” libertarians, but in reality the lines between these groups have grown fuzzy to nonexistent.

quote:

After my Honduras article, Tom Woods, noted libertarian “thinker,” called me out on Twitter. I called him a “hate-monger” and blocked him. I regretted it immediately. I didn’t know him well enough to sling that insult, so I apologized. A few days later, I read up on his work, and found out that my apology was the real mistake.
Whole article is just

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

"Living paycheck to paycheck" can be technically true and still disingenuous as all hell if their expenses grow as their income does, ie, if they chose not to save and instead spend it on a live-in nanny or whatever.

Also, "at many points" is of course purposefully ambiguous. As WWW mentions however, trying to parse Jrod's posts for portions that appear suspect is like trying to comb through Conservapedia and pick out the articles that are 'somewhat disingenuous'.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

This is literally just a copy-paste of a mises.org article with a "Good morning sir, have you heard the goods news?" opener thrown in. In case anyone was wondering.

I don't think anyone is, as that was the point.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

What's the difference between a drunken libertarian and a sober libertarian?

I have no idea

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Ughhhh just because something is against the rules does not mean it's illegal. Stop using words incorrectly reddit.

And of course, not being permitted to disseminate certain personal opinions across the private property of a business is not a restriction on your 'freedom of speech', albeit that confused argument extends well beyond reddit's userbase.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Good God jrod, at this point I just want you to focus on the critique of your communication skills. You really are just a horrible writer, even amongst libertarian posters.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"Why do you keep sidetracking me by referring to the content of libertarian writers who I constantly rely on to argue my position for me?!"

And gently caress, another jrod post that:

1) Doesn't address any current specific argument.
2) Could have been stated in 2 short paragraphs.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

1, 4, and 5 seem to be pretty good ideas.

Not surprisingly, hardly under the sole domain of libertarianism either.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

You could acknowledge it anyway. "Good job, jrodefeld. Those are several really important reforms that certainly would help society and improve human flourishing."
:qq: WHY DON'T I GET CREDIT FOR SHARING SOME POLITICAL IDEAS THAT AREN'T COMPLETELY HORRIBLE :qq:

You seriously expect praise when you happen to appropriate a position that isn't completely insane? No, I will not slap you on the back for simply typing out a meaningless political wishlist (especially when those bullet-points start to predictably veer into insane territory halfway), and not when the people on the ground and in the courts actually doing the bulk of the work with the goal of ending these horrible policies are far removed from your ideology. How you actually get to a solution matters.

quote:

Even when I say things you agree with, you gloss over it entirely and resume hurling insults.
There was no insult in that post, you loving idiot.

Edit: Again, your view on the political forces that cause some of these problems greatly affect the process you employ to go about rectifying them, and this is why even when you think you find ideological congruence with the left in this forum you'll still be challenged as your origins and hence solutions to these problems usually are completely ridiculous.

And what are you looking for even if we do happen to be in agreement on a policy at more than a surface level? It's a debate forum for christsakes, no matter what the poster you're not going to foster discussion when you're in complete agreement. Do you want paragraphs waxing poetically on how we now regret critiquing your sociopath-like views because you're on the right side issue one out of 50? Even without that historical baggage you're not going to get debate in a debate forum when both posters have mutual agreements, duh.

Seriously Jrod, are you Penn Jillette?

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 3, 2015

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Look, I think there is an argument to be made that blacks are inherently less industrious and helping them via the state ultimately hurts them, children should be free to work since age 10, oh also women aren't as successful in the marketplace as they are inherently less ambitious

I also believe police brutality should be curtailed

WHAT WHY ARE YOU FOCUSING ON THE NEGATIVE

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Took me a while but lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

Obama's Solyndra experiment and the like.
gently caress, just saw this by way of Caros's reply (the only way really to digest a jrod post without becoming unconscious). Seriously, Solyndra? Did you have to restrain yourself from typing BENGHAZI!! jrod?

Solyndra Program Vilified by Republicans Turns a Profit

quote:

The U.S. expects to earn $5 billion to $6 billion from the federal program that funded flops including Solyndra LLC, bolstering President Barack Obama’s decision to back low-carbon technologies.

quote:

“People make a big deal about Solyndra and everything, but there’s a lot of VC capital that got torched right alongside the DOE capital,” Michael Morosi, an analyst at Brentwood, Tennessee-based Jetstream Capital LLC, which invests in renewable energy, said in an interview. “A positive return over 20 years in cleantech? That’s not a bad outcome.”

quote:

“When these project developers took their projects to conventional financing sources, those lenders said, ‘Sorry, there’s too much risk here,’” Davidson said in a phone interview. “That’s the gap that we’ve filled.”

quote:

Considering the whole portfolio of projects, a $5 billion return to taxpayers exceeds profits from many venture capital and private equity investments in clean energy, Morosi said.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

Another "continuum problem" that neither libertarians, nor anyone else, has a perfect answer to is what should the age of consent be for having sex with an adult? Should a girl be able to make that decision at 16? 18? 14? What about 15 and 253 days? There is absolutely no single correct answer to this problem. Some States say the age ought to be 16. Others say the age should be 18. We know for certain that a girl aged 11 is not capable of giving consent to sex with an adult but we know that a woman of 25 is. Somewhere in the middle is the correct age and the law will always be imperfect and imprecise.

AHHHHHHH goddammit you can set your watch by it

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Sometimes reddit is alright

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

I am legit worried for asdf's kid

edit: Not necessarily due to the possibility of injury due to neglect, but actually having the attention of asdf as a influencing figure

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Visionary tech entrepreneur rebuts joke with horrifying picture of statist dystopia where you cannot poison yourself 24/7 with no age restrictions

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

the replies to that are basically this thread's glory days

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

This man will apparently be debated on Majority FM this Thursday folks.

Punctuation from source posted:

Darryl is the Owner/Managing Editor of Free Press Publications, a business he started in June, 2009 with the purpose of ensuring a FREE PRESS for the FREEDOM MOVEMENT. Since then FPP has republished several libertarian/anarch classics as well as new books, both fiction and non-fiction, many of which have won awards and other recognition.

He's in this clip (2:46) at the Libertarian Debates from a few weeks ago.

edit: fixed url

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

That'd be an apt comparison if that advertisement was about a product called Arizona Salsa

It's a reference to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Caros posted:

So it turns out that 'Darryl' was an enormous baby who only managed about twenty minutes on the phone before turning into an enormous baby screaming about freedom and hanging up the phone.

I'd say it astonishes me that this man thought he could be president but mental disease is a hell of a thing I guess.

Yeah it was a little more disturbing/sad than hilarious. It's one thing when a professor like Block espouses this poo poo, but this guy obviously has some issues.

Of course, what he's saying doesn't veer from published work from the leading lights of libertarianism that much, if at all.