Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

Except in the most contrived of cases this is not a thing that employers can do, though. Employers offer as much money as it takes to get acceptable people. That is pretty much the end of it at the low end of the wage distribution. There are too many employers with too many positions for them to be leveraging much of anything and a worker's risk of starvation or whatever is both 100% unknown to the potential employer and 100% out of his or her control.

Wait... do you actually believe this?

Do you realize that even now in the post-recession the number of unemployed workers to job opening ratio is still at roughly 2:1? Or that at the height of the recession it was roughly 7:1?

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I'll reiterate it here. People like you have this problem where you look at everything on an individual basis rather than an aggregate. You are right that there is no employer out there who cackles like a supervillain while giving you the choice between starvation or death. What there is however, is a system that on the aggregate makes that the choice. When you have been unemployed for two weeks and your rent is due in another two weeks you do not have the luxury of choosing not to take a job that is offered to you at an insultingly low wage. This is why you have university grads working at McDonalds and so forth.

This economic coercion and imbalance of power in the employee/employer relationship drives down wages and would, without intervention, result in wages that are even more disgustingly low than our already appalling minimum wage. To pretend that employers don't take advantage of the desperation of low income workers is really naive of you.

quote:

I've not gone so far to argue the "taxation is theft" angle.

First of all, if you're not going to agree with the standard position espoused by libertarians in this thread (and in general) then stake a loving claim when you make a point. You keep running around with your special snowflake brand of libertarianism trying to use the same talking points and then claiming exception to the replies and it is tiresome.

Secondly, I call bullshit.

quote:

Having the government deprive you of property or freedom due to not paying taxes/fees is somehow an acceptable form of the same.

quote:

Not sure this is really worth going into to any length, since I doubt we will find any common ground on the idea that taxation is inherently universally legitimate and that the amount of personal property that the government can lay claim to is up to and including 100%. It's not.

You are making a moral argument in your posts that taxation can somehow be wrongful or illegitimate. Well you know what we call it when someone takes something from someone else in an illegitimate manner? We call it theft.

quote:

Perhaps we can start with examples from the preset and throughout history of fees and taxation used as punitive and specifically anti-competitive measures and go from there.

By all means, continue.

quote:

The disagreement with the NAP is the application of it in interactions from the government to people and from the government to foreign entities. For example, I am not a fan of "limited kinetic actions" or "We tortured some folks."

And that is not a solely libertarian position or one that most of us disagree with? I don't think we should be torturing people, or attacking foreign governments or anything of the sort. So why do you have to invoke it as some special secret language principle unique to libertarians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

It's actually beyond that. Despite many people's dislike of an economic centric view they've still internalized a great deal of it. You see that right here where people arguing from the left can't themselves divorce someones moral worth from their economic value and use one to try and determine the other.

All societies need to calculate economic worth of people for the same reason a basketball team needs to evaluate basketball skills. And neither necessarily reflects on the moral worth of that person.

So does a person with an economic worth of $.50 still deserve to live? If they do, then do they also deserve to live with dignity? If they do then how do you propose making sure that these things are taken care of within our society. If you acknowledge that some people are worthless within the work force, but that they still deserve to live with dignity then what method do you suggest to make sure they earn enough to do so? A Mincome? Minimum wage? 'Charity'?

If not that is fine to. It is okay for you to say that you think those people don't deserve to live.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Based on your wage logic, where the minumum wage is the only thing that keeps us all from being paid pennies, why aren't we ALL making the minimum wage, then? Minimum wage has literally zero bearing on what 95% of the country is paid.

Are you somehow unaware of what the words "Low income" or "Low Skilled" or "Uneducated" mean? I've mentioned multiple times in this thread that the phenomenon that we are discussing, wherein employers exploit low income workers through economic coercion is unique to people a certain subset of workers, generally the low skilled or uneducated.

The whole point of a minimum wage is to prevent the exploitation of the lowest wage workers by their employers. Employers who even with our current minimum wage are penny pinching to the extent that they release guides to help their employees sign up for food stamps to let them survive rather than pay a livable wage.

A wage bump to $10.10 an hour is expected to have a positive effect on the wages of 27.8 million workers, which is roughly 18% of the US workforce, so your assertion that the minimum wage has "Literally zero bearing on what 95% of the country is paid" is blatantly false. Moreover, even if it was in fact true, that is not a compelling argument for eliminating or weakening the minimum wage. Saying that the mininmum wage only impacts the people at the bottom 5% of the economy, which is not true, does not negate the fact that the people at the bottom 5% of the economy are the most poo poo upon and vulnerable.

At what percentage does enacting a policy intended to lessen exploitation of the most vulnerable of society become appropriate. Do you agree that the minimum wage is of more value when it affects 18%? What if it helped 30% or 50%? Is there actually a point where you think it is worth having, or are you just trying to say "It doesn't really affect anyone so why even have it" as a way to pretend that getting rid of it would not be a big loving deal?

Likewise are there other policies you don't think matter because they only affect a small percentage? The NHIS estimates that less than 5% of people in the US identify as gay or bisexual. Do you think that getting rid of policies that protect such workers from abuse in the workplace don't matter because they have "Literally zero bearing on 95% of the country?"

quote:

I am more saying that "taxation is theft" is not really a useful way to discuss a plan for taxes and funding what government does exist. I think it's preferable to tie taxation to the service that those taxes provide, when possible. Excise taxes on gasoline, etc.

Okay, so rather than saying taxation is theft you instead want to change how we fund things. This is a fair enough thing to discuss.

For starters, why do you think it is appropriate to tie taxation to services that they provide. Your example, Gasoline taxes, is a regressive tax that would negatively impact low income households at the benefit of the wealthy, which is why we typically don't pay for roads like that wherever possible.

So what other examples do you have? Do you have a problem with progressive taxation in general? How would you fund programs like Social Security, Medicare or welfare programs? I'm actually eager to hear your views on how you'd handle taxation.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 1, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Hang on, there is no "If" regarding the recognition that some people can't/won't produce economic output. You recognize this right? So me pointing it out means very little.

As for the rest of your questions you ask this as if society hasn't already answered it. Every single developed country has decided to provide significant amounts of assistance in a range of forms to ensure people don't literally die if they run out of money. Like 99.9% of people, I support this wholeheartedly.

So you 100% agree with me but will refuse to answer my question by stating what sort of method you suggest to take care of people who cannot or do not have any 'economic value'. So basically you're just punting the ball and saying "Yeah well they'll obviously get taken care of!"

That was a pretty lovely non-answer, even for you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jesus gently caress, do you even read what you are replying to? I cited you a statistic in that loving post you are quoting wherein it is explained in easy to understand numbers that 27.8 Million workers would get a bump, which is roughly 18% of all workers in the US. This means that the start of your post should read as follows:

quote:

So what do you think would happen to the 82%+ of earners who are paid more than minimum wage if the law were repealed tomorrow?

Even if you are arguing based solely on the fact that currently only 4.8% of workers actually make the minimum wage, that is still a misleading number because it doesn't cover anyone who makes a penny over the minimum wage, despite the fact that the minimum wage has a bolstering effect on wages, and thus someone who makes $8 or$8.50 makes that much largely because the minimum wage sets the ground floor higher than it might otherwise be. Factoring in even workers making $1 more nearly doubles the number of workers to 8.6%.

Now to your actual post.

quote:

So what do you think would happen to the 95%+ of earners who are paid more than minimum wage if the law were repealed tomorrow? And as for the shady science all around of minimum wage effects, you can find a study to basically say just about anything about how it will affect the economy.

Well if the law were repealed we'd also have child labor again, so lets go with amended. If it were amended you probably wouldn't see an immediate change. Instead people who are new hired would simply be hired at progressively lower and lower wages until businesses found a floor at which workers simply could not work. I say could not because eventually there is a floor beneath minimum wage where working is pointless, where a worker simply cannot pay his bills/eat/etc for what he is being paid.

It'd take a while to reach that level. Currently employed workers would be trapped even further into their jobs that would exploit them further since they would have yet more leverage knowing that employees would not find better wages in the new, shittier job market. Some places might just give straight up pay cuts where they could get away with it.

As to your assertion that there is 'shady science' regarding that study, I would suggest you actually read it, since it isn't actually that hard to calculate the bolstering effect of the minimum wage, nor is it difficult to physically count the number of people who would actually get a raise as a result of the increase.

quote:

Skipping any of the common argument that a higher minimum wage will decrease the available number of jobs(which is fairly universally believed, but considered a necessary evil,) do you think it will have an inflationary effect?

HAHAHAHAHA!!! No... no we're not going to skip over something that you are outright lying about. It has not been fairly universally believed since the 1990's, and study after study conducted over the last two decades suggest that the loss of jobs as a result of a higher minimum wage would be minor at worst. While I will admit there is controversy insofar as conservatives pay economists to pretend that it is true, do not for a loving second try to pass off the lie that it is 'universally believed'.

And yes, it may have a small inflationary effect that will be drastically outweighed by the increase in wages to the poorest in society, who will then have more money to spend in a fashion that will be economically beneficial to everyone.

quote:

Tying taxation to services provided primarily benefits in keeping the cash where it's meant to go, offering some degree of compartmentalization.

Tying cash to where it is 'meant to go' is a largely pointless endeavor that is almost completely outweighed by the fact that such taxes will have negtive societal consequences.

quote:

As much as I hate the word used to justify anything, is it appropriate to say that taxation that more directly funds the government actions that create the utilized service is inherently more fair?

I don't particularly care if taxes are progressive or regressive, and I don't think trying to produce one outcome or another should be a consideration. Everyone's taxes are too high. It also returns to that idea that someone else having more doesn't inherently mean that you have less as a consequence.

Okay, so now we are getting to the meat of your entitlement.

First I'm going to ask, are you aware of the concept of marginal utility of money. I suspect you are but I'm going to go over it so we don't have a back and forth where I'm talking about something you don't understand. It works like this.

We have two men, one makes $20,000 and one makes $20,000,000 they both pay the same 'fair tax' rate of 10% and hell, lets throw a gas excise that amounts to $500 a year in gas costs to pay for roads.

So the first man pays his taxes of $2,000, and then another $500 for gas taxes. For him this accounts to 12.5% of his income. Moreover, for him this is a LOT of money. At $20,000 that amount is well over a months rent, perhaps even two months. It might be his entire bill for clothing and entertainment for the year, gone from his pocket.

The second man also pays his taxes, in this case $2,000,500. The number is clearly larger, but at the end he is left with $17,999,500. His actual percentage including the fixed regressive gas tax is 10.0025... I think. It might be 10.025, I'm too tired to do the math properly. So clearly the gas tax is unfair as poo poo when it comes to percentage, but more importantly the rich man is not in any way harmed by paying his taxes. He could pay another $2,000,000 or another $10,000,000 and still be able to live in obscene comfort to the end of his days.

Now that isn't to say that taxes should be punitive, its saying that non-progressive taxation is the opposite of fair. Regressive taxes such as gasoline taxes basically have no effect on the quality of living of the wealthy, but have a significant effect on the quality of living of the poor.

As it stands we have obligations that we expect the government to meet as a society. We want things like roads, police, military, FDA, EPA, you name it. And we do have to pay for these things somehow. Because this is a fact of life, we have the choice on how to pay for it. And you are suggesting that we take the money 'equally' from everyone, despite the fact that taking the money in that fashion is heavily damaging to the lives of the worst off in society, something that has negative impacts that ripple throughout in the form of all the nastiness associated with poverty.

Despite your protestations, someone is going to pay for these services and if it isn't the wealthy then it is the poor. So yes, if someone else has more that does absolutely mean that someone else is going to have less within this context.

Also, Taxes are at historic loving lows and have been for most of my lifetime. What would you consider to be taxes that are not 'too high?'

quote:

I'd eliminate social security as anything regarding its current form. It's a transfer payment from young to old and is unsustainable. I'd also eliminate Medicare and federal welfare programs.

Now, all that said, I am not personally as vehemently opposed to the idea of some sort of safety net as a lot of the Pure Strain Libertarians, but I also don't think it should be anywhere near as gigantic as it is now. I'd argue that a lot of these federal programs specifically allow low-wage employers to keep their wages low.
Reducing/eliminating vast swaths of current bureaucracy and military spending would allow us to reduce the generalized tax burden for everyone, for a start.

Social Security would be fiscally solvent until my children are thinking about buying burial plots for themselves provided the government lifted the cap on contributions (which is in and of itself a regressive tax. Saying its unsustainable is a bald face lie or a complete misunderstanding of the numbers involved, your choice.

Actually, just in general, are you serious? Eliminating Social Security... well what exactly would you replace it with? Are you aware that prior to the introduction of social security 2/3rds of america's elderly lived in poverty, a number that is now down around 10%? Are you aware that half of all retiree's get their sole income from social security? What exactly would you do for the people who desperately need these programs?

Hell, even assuming you keep it in place for current beneficiaries like the stupid loving Ryan plan, what do you propose doing with the millions of elderly who try to retire without safety nets? Are we just going to go back to the 1910's where parents simply have to become a lifelong burden to their children once they reach old age? I know I certainly couldn't take care of my wife's parents and I'm pretty drat well off.

And the same thing with medicare. I just can't believe that you think that eliminating the most successful social programs in history is a smart thing to do.

Caros
May 14, 2008

President Kucinich posted:

Why is this a bad thing that needs to be abolished?

Freedom

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I've returned from hiatus. I can't locate my other thread so I'll start on this thread. Real life intruded and I don't have the luxury of posting on random internet forums as much as I might like. In any event, I actually like this forum. While I disagree with most of you, I genuinely find it to be especially well run and the discussions are substantive and interesting. And, evidenced by this thread, you all seem to having more than a passing familiarity with libertarian ideas.

Believe it or not most of us actually don't dislike you or necessarily dislike talking to you either. We're all nerds who post in a debate and discussion forum on the internet. Since this is not Ender's Game, we understandably aren't doing so for unlimited world power but out of a genuine desire to actually talk about things. :)

I apologize in advance for cutting your post at odd places, but I'm trying to keep like with like when it comes to ideas so that I don't repeat myself.

quote:

With that said, I want to discuss the subject of a minimum wage (or even minimum basic income). From what I have read on this thread, most of you are in favor of a minimum wage and/or basic guaranteed income. I find that support for either belies an ignorance of basic economics. I'd love if you could prove me wrong however.

I'd critique you for calling us all ignorant right after saying we make substantive replies, but someone called you a shitheel so we don't exactly have a the moral high ground.

quote:

I favor an immediate abolition of all minimum wage laws. I don't understand how anyone could imagine that creating an artificial minimum legal wage rate could actually improve anyone's standard of living.A few points. In the first place, a worker will receive an income that is determined by the market. His marketable skills are valued based on the marginal productivity of his labor. If a worker can only provide $9 of value to an employer per hour, why on earth would that employer pay him $10 an hour? Businessmen are not running charities. The businessman is seeking profits which can only be done by satisfying consumer demands on the market. Therefore wages must be lower than the productivity of the labor. The marginal productivity of a laborer provides the upper limit of the wage rate that he or she can expect to receive.

Therefore it can be reliably predicted that an unskilled laborer whose marginal productivity is lower than the minimum wage, for example a teen only worth $6 an hour, will be rendered perpetually unemployed.

What makes you think that most workers have a wage that comes anywhere near what the 'value' the provide to their employer actually is? I touched on this earlier in the thread, but I'm curious why you think that this is the case when historical evidence disagrees with that assumption.

For example, we know what productivity was in the 1970's and we also know what the minimum wage was in the 1970's. Most studies suggest that productivity now, per worker, is double or even triple what it was in 1970, yet wages remain stagnant. If the minimum wage had kept pace with productivity, it would be at roughly $25 an hour.

So how do you explain this? If most workers were paid something approximating their value to their employer, shouldn't wages have been steadily increasing for decades? The amount each worker makes for their company, and thus their value has increased nearly three fold in four decades, but adjusted for inflation wages have barely increased at all, and the minimum wage is even lower than it was in 1970.

If on the other hand, most workers are NOT paid anywhere even close to the value that they bring in, that is to say a worker brings in $20 or $30 or $50 while making minimum wage, then we would see what we statistically do see when minimum wage is increased, which is little to no effect on employment. Most businesses simply do not make hiring or firing decisions based on the minimum wage unless we are talking a theoretical minimum wage that is totally out of wack with current conditions like a hypothetical $100 minimum or something.

Similarly, what about a worker such as Ben, my local hobby store clerk. He opens the store every sunday from 10-6, and without him the store would not be open. Do you really think that the owner is simply going to close down his store for an entire day because of a $1-5/hour increase in the minimum wage? Do you think that even significantly factors into a budget where roughly 70% of his cost is inventory, 15% is fixed cost and perhaps 10% is labor?

quote:

I can anticipate that some of you will argue that without a supposed floor for wage rates, the greedy businessmen will simply push wages as low as possible forcing workers to work for 50 cents an hour. The reason this won't happen is that competitive firms, in their competition with each other, will be in need of good workers. If an employer is paying his workers too little for their abilities (i.e. too much lower than the marginal productivity of their labor) then a competitor will bid them away from their current employer. Thus the wage rates for workers will inevitably rise towards the level of their marginal productivity but never exceeding it.

This sounds well and good in theory, but the mechanics you are talking about do not exist in a vacuum. People frequently refer to sweeping generalizations like this one as the frictionless surfaces and perfect spheres of the economic world, ie, the 'I took econ 101 and nothing else' effect. The problem is that these basic models where everyone competes and the market is a perfectly functional self regulating machine don't work outside the textbook because people are flawed, flawed creatures.

Take for example, the recent Google/Apple Antitrust lawsuit. The short version is that several of the largest silicon valley firms colluded together to depress the wages of their employees by simply refusing to poach or entice employees of their competitors in order to keep the costs of labor down. This real world example flies in the face of everything that you hypothesise would happen and more stunningly occurred in a field of specialized and educated labor. Moreover the issue was only resolved by the intervention of the ever hated 'state'.

quote:

It is an intellectual error to simply claim that all workers are worth, say, $10 an hour.

Frankly I think it is an intellectual error to assume that employers will actually most pay employees what they are worth when recorded history proves that this is not the case.

quote:

How could you possibly know that? Only a free market for wage labor can possibly determine the per hour value of labor services. What minimum wage laws amount to really is compulsory unemployment, period.

The take of most of the posters in this thread would be that the minimum wage for a full time job should be enough for someone to live with dignity. That is absolutely a condition that society is capable of placing upon the marketplace by whatever means at our disposal, be it a mincome, or a minimum wage or whatever.

quote:

In a free society without a State that erects barriers to economic activity, all economic actors will have far more options than they do today.

Just to be clear, you do understand that the state is only one of the myriad of reasons that there can be barriers to entry. I think you do understand that this is true but I want to be absolutely sure. Other examples are things like natural monopolies such as telecommunications where start up costs for simple hardware could be in the hundreds of millions and so forth.

Moreover, this is a feel good statement with no real substance. The government puts up barriers to entry and once we knock them down people will have far more options to... not have fire extinguishers on the property? Not provide occupational health and safety protections. Not pay overtime. Fire employees without cause. Brutally suppress unions with everything shy of physical force? Sexually harass employees?

quote:

So it is furthermore wrong to assume that workers will have no recourse but to work for wages. On the contrary, each worker will have an ability to become an entrepreneur himself, risking his capital for the potential greater reward of future profits. It is a far riskier proposition than trading his labor for wages but without the regulatory barriers and bureaucratic red tape, the cost of entry into the market will be exponentially lower than it is today.

Again, this is why I'm asking if you understand that barriers to entry are not the primary fault of government.

As just one personal example. In 2010 I briefly flirted with the idea of opening a business before deciding it was unsuitable in the current climate to do so. Do you know how much 'barriers to entry' actually figured into my business plan? Perhaps 1%. Of greater concern were things like, 'eating' and 'massive risk due to debt burden'. To suggest that if we just eliminated the minimum wage and other regulations people would suddenly jump into the market creating businesses is naive at best and disingenuous at worst.

You suggest getting rid of all sort of government intervention, but do you think people would be more or less likely to start a business if they knew that they had a social safety net? How about if they know that they have healthcare? When I was pondering my business I didn't even have to consider it, but can you imagine the extra risk I'd be taking if we'd first eliminated my access to universal healthcare and THEN suggested I start a business?

quote:

A third option would be for workers to organize together and form mutualist coops, where workers pool their resources and collectively own the means of production. This would be an intermediate step between being a wage laborer and an entrepreneur. The potential for return on investment would be greater than that of a wage laborer but less than that of an entrepreneur. However the risk to a personal capital would be far lower than an entrepreneur. It would be, in a very real sense, voluntary socialism or even voluntary Marxism.

We do this now. Nothing about this would be unique to your suggested 'minimumwageless' world, so I'm not sure why you are bringing it up here other than in an attempt at trying to appear centrist and open minded. Also I've snipped out a quote here and moved it to the bottom because it deserves special attention.

quote:

Minimum wage laws are immoral, they hurt the least skilled and most vulnerable in society.

No they are not, and no they do not. Making sweeping moral generalizations isn't going to win you an argument and I wish you'd understand that. If you said "I feel minimum wage laws are immoral..." I wouldn't even be commenting on this, but you're trying to frame the argument as if you've already won on a point that we BOTH know that you we disagree on.

quote:

The only genuine way to sustainably raise the standard of living for workers is to improve their marginal productivity, thus allowing them to command a higher wage rate on the market. To this end, it is valuable to encourage young people to gain more work experience when they are younger, develop on the job training and skills that improve their value to employers. Improved skills expand ones economic opportunities.

How do you account for the fact that marginal productivity has been going up for decades with no associated increase in wealth for the workers. I'm genuinely curious as to your answer on this issue.

Moreover, are you aware that minimum wage jobs are not just for 'young people' anymore? They haven't been for over a decade. The median age of a minimum wage worker is 28. Because of the poor 'trickle down' economic garbage we were sold for a generation many people will be working service jobs like this until they retire, so suggesting they simply increase their value to employers (god does that sound creepy by the way) is not a real fix.

quote:

I thought this would be a good topic to get back into this discussion. Where am I going wrong? How can you rationally defend minimum wage laws and/or mandatory basic minimum income in light of economic law and logic?

Well, in the face of logic... gee I don't know. How can you rationally defend the abolition of a current pillar supporting the poor when recorded history shows that employers can and will abuse works for less than subsistence wages if they can get away with it?

quote:

All of these economic relationships are valid provided no one uses aggression against any other peaceful person.

Okay, this got brought up in the last thread after you left so I'm going to assume you haven't read it. The whole crux of your argument boils down to the idea that aggression is bad, and taxation is theft because its your money, government is aggressing against you etc etc. Libertarians do this in an attempt to frame the debate as them the plucky pacifist up against the big forces of everyone else who wants to impose on them.

But when is it okay for you to use force? Well in your theoretical society it is okay for you to use force when someone does it to you first. Typical examples aren't really 'force' per say, but interacting with property. If I walk onto your land and stand there, you have the right to remove me, we both agree with that. You link this in with a whole weird homesteading philosophy, but at the end of the day I propose that the only reason your land is your land in this example is because everyone agrees. Admittedly they agree that your homesteading idea is the basis of property, but it is that communal weight of society that justifies your force as defensive. If everyone didn't agree that the land was yours, then you wouldn't be justified in using force.

We know its not simply your philosophy because philosophy doesn't carry that weight. If it did then we'd have examples of real world people using the homesteading philosophy to justify force.

So in the above example, if I went onto your land and stood there you could remove me. If I were bigger than you, you could call someone to remove me. If I resisted and say... hurt one of them, I could be put in a cage and if I really resisted I could be killed. Sound familiar? It sure does to me.

The difference between Libertarians and 'statists' is not a matter that one things aggression is justified and the other does not. The issue is a matter of who owns what, in the 'statist' case we simply believe that a certain portion of income belongs to the state. And we can do that, because what belongs to who is entirely a subjective issue determined by the rules of the society.

Reposting this from a few days ago because the minimum wage is a much more interesting topic than DRO's since the latter is really, really difficult to discuss in any meaningful way since it does not can will not ever exist in reality. I also just really want an answer.

Caros
May 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

During your last visit your description of the ideal ancap society was an Orwellian hellscape. Come on.

For those of you unfamiliar with Jrodefeld or for those of you playing at home, this is the article to which he is referring. I've bolded the especially egregious bits. Its worth mentioning that Jrodefeld has given a full throated defense of this article, and I'd be curious to see if he still supports it even now.

quote:

Caging the Devils: The Stateless Society and Violent Crime

After Lew was kind enough to publish The Stateless Society, I received many emails asking the same question: how can violent criminals be dealt with in the absence of a centralized government?

This is a challenging question, which can be answered in three parts. The first is to examine how such criminals are dealt with at present; the second is to divide violent crimes into crimes of motive and crimes of passion, and the third is to show how a stateless society would deal with both categories of crime far better than any existing system.

Thus the first question is: how are violent criminals dealt with at present? The honest answer, to any unbiased observer is surely: they are encouraged.

A basic fact of life is that people respond to incentives. The better that crime pays, the more people will become criminals. Certain well-known habits — drugs, gambling, prostitution in particular — are non-violent in nature, but highly desired by certain segments of the population. If these non-violent behaviours are criminalized, the profit gained by providing these services rises. Illegality destroys all stabilizing social forces (contracts, open activity, knowledge sharing and mediation), and so violence becomes the norm for dispute resolution.

Furthermore, wherever a legal situation exists where most criminals make more money than the police, the police are simply bribed into compliance. Thus by increasing the profits of non-violent activities, the State ensures the corruption of the police and judicial system — thus making it both safer and more profitable to operate outside the law! It can take dozens of arrests to actually face trial — and many trials to gain convictions. Policemen now spend about a third of their time filling out paperwork — and 90% of their time chasing non-violent criminals. Entire sections of certain cities are run by gangs of thugs, and the jails are overflowing with harmless low-level peons sent to jail as make-work for the judicial system — thus constantly increasing law-enforcement budgets. Peaceful citizens are legally disarmed through gun control laws. In this manner, the modern State literally creates, protects and profits from violent criminals.

Thus the standard to compare the stateless society's response to violent crime is not some perfect world where thugs are effectively dealt with, but rather the current mess where violence is both encouraged and protected.

Before we turn to how a stateless society deals with crime, however, it is essential to remember that the stateless society automatically eliminates the greatest violence faced by almost all of us — the State that threatens us with guns if we don't hand over our money — and our lives, should it decide to declare war. Thus it cannot be said that the existing system is one which minimizes violence. Quite the contrary — the honest population is violently enslaved by the State, and the dishonest provided with cash incentives and protection.

State violence — in its many forms — has been growing in Western societies over the past fifty years, as regulation, tariffs and taxation have risen exponentially. National debts are an obvious form of intergenerational theft. Support of foreign governments also increases violence, since these governments use subsidies to buy arms and further terrorize their own populations. The arms market is also funded and controlled by governments. The list of State crimes can go on and on, but one last gulag is worth mentioning — all the millions of poor souls kidnapped and held hostage in prisons for non-violent u2018crimes'.

Since existing States terrorize, enslave and incarcerate literally billions of citizens, it is hard to understand how they can be seen as effectively working u2018against' violence in any form.

So, how does the stateless society deal with violence? First, it is important to differentiate the use of force into crimes of motive and crimes of passion. Crimes of motive are open to correction through changing incentives; any system which reduces the profits of property crimes — while increasing the profits of honest labor — will reduce these crimes. In the last part of this essay, we will see how the stateless society achieves this better than any other option.

Crimes of motive can be diminished by making crime a low-profit activity relative to working for a living. Crime entails labour, and if most people could make more money working honestly for the same amount of labour, there will be far fewer criminals.

Those who have read my explanation of dispute resolution organizations (DROs) know that stateless societies flourish through the creation of voluntary contracts between interested parties, and that all property is private. How does this affect violent crime?

Well, let's look at u2018break and enter'. If I own a house, I will probably take out insurance against theft. Obviously, my insurance company benefits most from preventing theft, and so will encourage me to get an alarm system and so on, just as occurs now.

This situation is more or less analogous to what happens now — with the not-inconsequential adjustment that, since DROs handle policing as well as restitution, their motive for preventing theft or rendering stolen property useless is higher than it is now. As such, much more investment in prevention would be worthwhile, such as creating 'voice activated' appliances which only work for their owners.

However, the stateless society goes much, much further in preventing crime — specifically, by identifying those who are going to become criminals. In this situation, the stateless society is far more effective than any State system.

In a stateless society, contracts with DROs are required to maintain any sort of economic life — without DRO representation, citizens are unable to get a job, hire employees, rent a car, buy a house or send their children to school. Any DRO will naturally ensure that its contracts include penalties for violent crimes — so if you steal a car, your DRO has the right to use force against you to get the car back — and probably retrieve financial penalties to boot.

How does this work in practice? Let's take a test case. Say that you wake up one morning and decide to become a thief. Well, the first thing you have to do is cancel your coverage with your DRO, so that your DRO cannot act against you when you steal. DROs would have clauses allowing you to cancel your coverage, just as insurance companies have now. Thus you would have to notify your DRO that you were dropping coverage. No problem, you're off their list.

However, DROs as a whole really need to keep track of people who have opted out of the entire DRO system, since those people have clearly signaled their intention to go rogue, to live off the grid, and commit crimes. Thus if you cancel your DRO insurance, your name goes into a database available to all DROs. If you sign up with another DRO, no problem, your name is taken out. However, if you do not sign up with any other DRO, red flags pop up all over the system.

What happens then? Remember — there is no public property in the stateless society. If you've gone rogue, where are you going to go? You can't take a bus — bus companies won't take rogues, because their DRO will require that they take only DRO-covered passengers, in case of injury or altercation. Want to fill up on gas? No luck, for the same reason. You can try hitchhiking, of course, which might work, but what happens when you get to your destination and try and rent a hotel room? No DRO card, no luck. Want to sleep in the park? Parks are privately owned, so keep moving. Getting hungry? No groceries, no restaurants — no food! What are you going to do?

Obviously, those without DRO representation are going to find it very hard to get around or find anything to eat. But let's go even further and imagine that, as a rogue, you are somehow able to survive long enough to start trying to steal from people's houses.

Well, the first thing that DROs are going to do is give a reward to anyone who spots you and reports your position (in fact, there will be companies which specialize in just this sort of service). As you walk down a street on your way to rob a house, someone sees you and calls you in. The DRO immediately notifies the street owner (remember, no public property!) who boots you off his street. Are you going to resist the street owner? His DRO will fully support his right to use force to protect his property or life.

So you have to get off the street. Where do you go? All the local street owners have been notified of your presence, and refuse you entrance. You can't go anywhere without trespassing. You are a pariah. No one will help you, or give you food, or shelter you — because if they do, their DRO will boot them or raise their rates, and their name will be entered into a database of people who help rogues. There is literally no place to turn.

So, really, what incentive is there to turn to a life of crime? Working for a living — and being protected by a DRO — pays really well. Going off the grid and becoming a rogue pits the entire weight of the combined DRO system against you — and, even if you do manage to survive their scrutiny and steal something, it has probably been voice-encoded or protected in some other manner against unauthorized re-use. But let's suppose that you somehow bypass all of that, and do manage to steal, where are you going to sell your stolen goods? You're not protected by a DRO, so who will buy from you, knowing they have no recourse if something goes wrong? And besides, anyone who interacts with you will get a substantial reward for reporting your location — and, if they deal with you, will be dropped from the DRO system.

Will there be underground markets? No — where would they operate? People need a place to live, cars to rent, clothes to buy, groceries to eat. No DRO means no participation in economic life.

Thus it is fair to say that any stateless society will do a far better job of protecting its citizens against crimes of motive — what, then, about crimes of passion?

Crimes of passion are harder to prevent — but also present far less of a threat to those outside of the circle in which they occur.

So, let's say a man kills his wife. They are both covered by DROs, of course, and their DRO contracts would include specific prohibitions against murder. Thus the man would be subject to all the sanctions involved in his contract — probably forced labour until a certain financial penalty was paid off, since DROs would be responsible for paying financial penalties to any next of kin.

Fine, you say, but what if either the man or woman was not covered by a DRO? Well, where would they live? No one would rent them an apartment. If they own their house free and clear, who would sell them food? Or gas? Who would employ them? What bank would accept their money? The penalties for opting out of the DRO system are almost infinite, and it is safe to say that it would be next to impossible to survive without a DRO.

But let's say that only the murderous husband — planning to kill his wife — opted out of his DRO system without telling her. Well, the first thing that his wife's DRO system would do is inform her of her husband's action — and the ill intent it may represent — and help relocate her if desired. If she decided against relocation, her DRO would promptly drop her, since by deciding to live in close proximity with a rogue man, she was exposing herself to an untenable amount of danger (and so the DRO to a high risk for financial loss!). Now both the husband and wife have chosen to live without DROs, in a state of nature, and thus face all the insurmountable problems of getting food, shelter, money and so on.

Now let's look at something slightly more complicated — stalking. A woman becomes obsessed with a man, and starts calling him at all hours and following him around. Perhaps boils a bunny or two. Well, if the man has bought insurance against stalking, his DRO leaps into action. It calls the woman's DRO, which says: stop stalking this man or we'll drop you. And how does her DRO know whether she has really given up her stalking? The man stops reporting it. And if there is a dispute, she just wears an ankle bracelet for a while to make sure. And remember — since there is no public property, she can be ordered off any property such as sidewalks, streets and parks.

(And if the man has not bought insurance against stalking, no problem — it will just be more expensive to buy with a 'pre-existing condition'!)

Although they may seem unfamiliar to you, DROs are not a new concept — they are as ancient as civilization itself, but have been shouldered aside by the constant escalation of State power over the last century or so. In the past, desired social behaviour was punished through ostracism, and risks ameliorated through voluntary 'friendly societies'. A man who left his wife and children — or a woman who got pregnant out of wedlock — was no longer welcome in decent society. DROs take these concepts one step further, by making all the information formerly known by the local community available to the world as whole, just as credit reports do. There are really no limits to the benefits that DROs can confer upon a free society — insurance could be created for such things as:

a man's wife giving birth to a child that is not his own
a daughter getting pregnant out of wedlock
fertility problems for a married couple
…and much more.

All of the above insurance policies would require DROs to take active steps to prevent such behaviours — the mind boggles at all the preventative steps that could be taken! The important thing to remember is that all such contracts are voluntary, and so do not violate the moral absolute of non-violence.

So in conclusion — how does the stateless society deal with violent criminals? Brilliantly! In a stateless society, there are fewer criminals, more prevention, greater sanctions — and instant forewarning of those aiming at a life of crime by their withdrawal from the DRO system. More incentives to work, fewer incentives for a life of crime, no place to hide for rogues, and general social rejection of those who decide to operate outside of the civilized worlds of contract, mutual protection and general security. And remember — States in the 20th century caused more than 170 million deaths — are we really that worried about hold-ups and jewelry thefts in the face of those kinds of numbers?

There is no system that will replace faulty men with perfect angels, but the stateless society, by rewarding goodness and punishing evil, will at least ensure that all devils are visible — instead of cloaking them in the current deadly fog of power, politics and propaganda.

All my favorites are bolded, but I especially like the following:

Being forced to wear an ankle monitor like a criminal if someone says you are stalking them. Failure to do so is effectively death (No DRO coverage)
DRO coverage existing for infidelity, or as a method to control your children.
Forced labour as a punishment for murder.
Report your fellow citizens for lack of DRO coverage. It is your duty. Would you like to know more?

JRodefeld. If you aren't interested in talking about the minimum wage anymore (which you might be getting to) I'd also like to hear your opinion on whether you still believe that this orwellian hellscape is a fair example of your principles in action?

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 2, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

The "free market" is basically like the bogey man to leftists. They've never actually seen one in real life, wouldn't recognize it if they had, but they are REAL sure it's super scary.

And then we grow up and realize that it is not a thing that could actually exist in reality. Yeah... that actually sounds pretty accurate.

DeusExMachinima posted:

So do you guys want to work this out amongst yourselves or what?

To be fair, being a bulk seller currently contributes to organized crime which is in fact not victimless. I'm sure that Karia would probably also agree that we should legalize and regulate the poo poo out of it at which point selling becomes completely victimless as well.

Caros
May 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The issue is that libertarians take on a bizarre definition of aggression, a definition that is always shifting to mean whatever is currently convenient. Can you define aggression for us, right now? If I walk onto my neighbor's property without his consent, is that aggression? If he shoots me for aggressively walking across his lawn, is that aggression? What if I was stealing his lawnmower and then he shoots me, is that aggression? What if I was taking back the lawnmower that he stole from me and then he shot me, is that aggression? Who is aggressing who in each scenario?

I've covered this in a few posts the last few days that have yet to get a real reply, but the gist of their definition is not even a disagreement about what constitutes aggression, its a disagreement on property. Taxation is theft because libertarians don't believe they should owe taxes according to their pure and perfect logic, so it is theft and theft is aggression. I mean, ignore the fact that its a definition that effectively becomes meaningless when you simply start redefining understood concepts to be something else, the simple fact is that liberals outright agree with the basic Non-Aggression Principle. It is in use in our society today.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

My point is that the punishment of so-called "victimless" crimes would be practically unsustainable when individuals would have to voluntarily pay for the incarceration and trial of individuals who just happen to be doing something that you don't personally approve of. I could possibly see some fundamentalist Christian group who really DID want to punish drug users, but the vast majority of people would not want to spend their own money to go after people who are minding their owner business.

It is very easy for people to say, in the abstract, that this or that voluntary activity should be "illegal". Ask people if heroin or prostitution should be illegal and the vast majority would say that they should. This is how democracy works. People think that someone else is paying the cost. If they had to pay directly to go after drug users who are minding their own business their attitude would change rather quickly. There may be a few fanatics who are so dedicated as to actually want to spend their own money to go after people who are not harming anybody, but the number would be vanishingly small.

In contrast, everyone has a desire for security for themselves and their property. Individuals who initiate force against people or steal their property are a threat at large and any victim would have a great incentive to get back what was taken from him, to have restitution for the crime. And society at large would want to see such a criminal punished for his action.

We are comparing contrasting systems so it is not enough for you to suppose that some possible miscarriage of justice could conceivably occur. You have to ask yourself whether such injustice is more or less likely to occur in a Stateless, privately and voluntarily financed justice system or a State monopolized, tax funded justice system.

You realize this is the exact same argument we use to explain to you why people will loving starve or die of preventable illness in your supposed system, right? Like practically word for word. People will vocally support the idea of a social safety net for the poor, or for healthcare for those who can't afford it, but when push comes to shove they won't pay a goddamned dime for it unless they have to.

quote:

People think that someone else is paying the cost. If they had to pay directly to provide food stamps their attitude would change rather quickly. There may be a few fanatics who are so dedicated as to actually want to spend their own money to feed the hungry, but the number would be vanishingly small.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Miltank posted:

If I sold heroin in the libertopia I would pay privcops to protect me and murder/arrest my competition. Then I could charge as much money as I want off of my hopelessly addicted clientele.

And here we have the creation of Shadowrunners. Maybe Libertopia wouldn't be so bad if everything was neon and sunglasses.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I jack my cyberdeck into the nearest data-terminal and begin mining for bitcoins.

You recieve brain damage because of heatstroke.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

I'd like to thank the Free Market, Rothbard's name be praised, for giving us the best thread ever.

I think you mean to say me. :colbert:

I do have to say this is uncharacteristically brief for Jrod. He usually spams the forums for a solid 2-3 days of non-stop posting until he is banned or gives up. By contrast he's only replied to about 4-5 people a handful of times over three days. I'm almost let down, not that I begrudge him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I intend to return to the minimum wage but regarding that particular article, I don't have any particular strong reactions one way or another. You have to understand first and foremost that libertarians are not central planners. Stefan Molyneux is just giving one possible solution to a few of societies problems in the absence of the State. Mr Molyneux, myself nor any other libertarian will have any power to force any particular vision of society on anyone else, apart from our moral admonition that the initiation of force is illegitimate and should be prohibited.

There are many significantly more qualified and accomplished libertarian theorists who have gone into the potential methods of private defense services and dispute resolution, from David Friedman to Murray Rothbard, Hans Hoppe, Robert Murphy and many others. But I reiterate, none have the ability or the desire to force any particular social order on anyone else. Merely they write about possibilities as a way of illustrating both the feasibility of anarchism as well as the economic incentives that will exist in such a Stateless order.

I think it's foolish to pick out a few articles and criticize me or other anarchists because of the theoretical musings of another libertarian theorist.

That is a lot of words but honestly not a lot of answers. I asked you a question and I'll repeat it again:

"I'd also like to hear your opinion on whether you still believe that this orwellian hellscape is a fair example of your principles in action?"

You'll note that I ask whether you still believe this. Back in... I believe it was November of last year you posted a thread wherein you explicitly endorsed this particular proposal as a possible example of how DRO's might function in a hypothetical society. Were the thread not gassed as a result of your ban I would happily go back and quote you giving a full throated defense of this exact piece.

The reason I'm still harping on this rather than letting it go is that your caginess on the subject is deeply disturbing, much like your opinions on Hans Hermann Hoppe. When I see something written by a liberal that is deeply flawed or offensive in some way, I do not generally feel the need to hedge my words when giving a condemnation of a stupid idea. And make no mistake, Mr. Molyneux's idea here is a stupid, stupid idea. It would not function in practice and is far, far more intrusive to any idea of liberty than the state that you seem to think is so bad.

So do you think that this is a stupid idea, Yes or no? Has the discussion about it pointed out to you just how utterly flawed it is to the point that you are willing to say that it is not feasible, yes or no?

And while I'm at it, do you still follow Mr. Molyneux was one of your libertarian thinkers? Do his recent interactions with the Men's Rights Advocate movement and associated mysogony cause you to rethink any of his previous work? I know you weren't swayed when it was pointed out that he was a cult leader, but does it bother you that he says something like this:

quote:

“If you don’t have a husband, if you chose the wrong guy, to keep the child is abusive, almost always."

quote:

“Women who choose the arseholes will loving end this race. They will loving end this human race if we don’t start holding them a-loving-countable…They’re the gatekeepers. Look, women who choose aresholes guarantee child abuse. Women who chose arseholes guarantee criminality, sociopathy, politicians; all the cold hearted jerks who run the world came out of the vaginas of women who married arseholes.

And, I don’t know how to make the world a better place without holding women accountable for choosing these arseholes. Your Dad was an arsehole because your mother chose him. Because it works on so many women. If ‘arsehole’ wasn’t a great reproductive strategy, it would have been gone long ago. Women keep that black bastard flame alive. They cup their hands around it, they protect it with their bodies. They keep the evil of the species going by continually choosing these guys. If being an arsehole didn’t get women there would be no arseholes left.

If women chose nice guys over arseholes we would have a glorious and peaceful world in one generation. Women determine the personality traits of the men because women choose who to have sex with, and who to have children with, and who to expose those children to. I get that you’re angry at your Dad, and you have every reason to be angry at your Dad. Your Dad is who he is fundamentally because your Mother was willing to gently caress him and have you; willing and eager to gently caress the monster. Stop loving monsters: we get a great world. Keep loving monsters: we get catastrophes. We get war.

We get nuclear weapons. We get national debts. We get incarcerations and prison guards and all the other florid arseholes who rule the world. Women worship at the feet of the devil and wonder why the world is evil. And then, you know what they say? “We’re victims!..Poor us!”. And some women are absolutely…but dear god in heaven…men will become whatever women want them to become, because women are the gatekeepers…So, I think that if you accept that women are central to the cycle of evil in the world, then you will be able to see how it really reproduces. Evil is of matriarchal lineage – in the present. I’m not talking about Mongol hoards and rapes and blah, blah blah. Evil passes through the Mother. It’s Jewish. It’s a Matriarch.”

As far as I'm concerned anyone who says things like that about women on a nearly daily basis is intellectually bankrupt, but I'm honestly curious if it even registers that one of the big modern libertarian philosophers is an unabashed misogynist. At what point does it bother you that the people you support hold sickening personal beliefs like this.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 2, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gonna add slightly to my previous post. Here are some of the names of some of the videos Molyneux posted in recent days:

quote:

Critisim: The Truth about Frozen

quote:

The Virus of Female Avoidance Responsibility

quote:

Trapping Men in Fallopian Tubes

quote:

How to betray your husband

quote:

Withholding Sex as Infidelity

Incidentally 13 out of his last 30 videos are about how women are the cause of all life's problems.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Okay, I've got like a halfhour before I have to sleep, so lets do this.

jrodefeld posted:

In the first place the libertarian definition of "aggression" is NOT always changing. It is in fact articulated quite clearly. Aggression is the act of initiating an act of invasion against the person or property of another without his or her permission. Pretty clear right?

I actually agree with you that your definition of aggression is fairly stable. It bears little to no relationship to what normal people actually use that word for, but I can't fault you for using the lingo of your peers. That said I don't think what is and is not aggression is all that clear cut, as I'll go into.

quote:

We believe in self ownership in the individual. This means of course that each individual has the right to determine the use of his or her physical body with the caveat of course that your use of your body cannot violate the equal rights of anyone else. I would bet that you accept this in every aspect of your life.

You would bet wrong. I don't believe in self-ownership because I don't consider myself to be loving property, nor do I feel I must boil down every interaction of human beings to some weird version of property rights as someone like Murray Rothbard must. I don't 'own' myself, I simply am. I will however agree that I can more or less do whatever I want within the existing laws and regulations set out by society. If you think DRO's wouldn't restrict you from doing things that you want to do that might harm other people, boy do you have another thing coming.

quote:

We extend the principle of non aggression against the physical body of another to the just acquisition of property outside of ones body. If you homestead land by mixing your labor with it, or you trade something you have legitimately acquired with some other item that the seller has legitimately homesteaded or otherwise acquired, those items that you acquire become an extension of your self ownership.

This is probably the first really big separation from standard thought and it bears repeating. Your theory of property is not one shared by others, nor is it universally provable in any meaningful sense. The very fact that it is not the method used by... really by any human interaction speaks to the fact that it is possible to develop a society that does not follow this logic. Since this is not universal nor is it necessarily anymore moral than another system, such as the one we currently have, your job isn't merely to explain it and call it a day but to try and explain why we should want to use this system that most people view as clearly inferior.

quote:

Property rights are necessary because we live in a world of conflict. Conflict exists because we live in a world of scarcity. If every desired item existed in superabundance then there would be no need for any property rights outside of our physical bodies since everyone could have anything they wanted. In the real world we need an easy way to avoid conflict. The only way to do that in a world of scarcity is to have a clearly understood system where everyone understands who has jurisdiction and final decision making power over scarce resources. The easier and clearer understood are the property titles and rights to jurisdiction, the less conflict is likely to occur.

I agree that we needed an easy way to decide who owns what, this is why we developed property rights. You'll note I say 'developed' because of course property rights are not some universal creation. They are not some fundamental immutable law, they are simply something the hairless monkeys made up to determine who gets to keep what. I'm glad we agree on everything except self-ownership which I think is dumb.

Hell, here is a difference for you. Why can't I sell myself? I can sell literally anything else in my entire home, permanently transferring legal control over it to someone else, but I cannot sell myself. Because there is no legal concept of self-ownership, because there doesn't need to be since it is a pointless distinction.

quote:

So just as it would be an act of aggression to invade the borders of a persons physical body (i.e. assault them, rape them, kill them), so too is it an act of aggression to steal or use the property of others without their permission. It is not the same severity of aggression but it still constitutes a rights violation because justly acquired property is an extension of a persons self ownership.

I have borders now? This is like that loving Oglaf Comic where the state of the Ambassador wishes to enter 'relations' with the principality of the apprentice. Except with slightly less gay sex.

There are many cases of minor trespass and technical violations of private property that are accidental or negligible. The key factor is not that you happen to walk across your neighbors lawn, but rather that if your neighbor asks you to leave his property that you listen. The important thing is that the owner of that land has the final say as to its use.

quote:

If you borrow someones lawnmower without permission you are committed a very minor act of aggression. Can the owner shoot you? No, that would be aggression. Legitimate defensive force must be proportional to the act of aggression otherwise it becomes aggression itself. So, no, unless the property owner fears for his life, he cannot legitimately just start killing people who are walking across his property. It has to be proportional.

I don't think this is really that confusing?

Now here is a fun game for you JRodefeld, how do you determine the 'severity' of aggression against something other than the physical body, and more importantly, what is an appropriate level of defensive force when it comes to defending property? And who decides that?

Determining self-defense is easy when you're talking about actual 'force' because that is really simple to judge. Someone comes at you with their fists, you can use fists, a weapon meets a weapon and so forth. But what is the proportional response to me walking onto your lawn and refusing to leave? That is a hell of a lot more difficult to figure out.

You know what, I could go on but its late and I'm tired. I'm curious to read your critique on this, I'm sure it will be scathing:

quote:

Right-Libertarians, “Anarcho”-Capitalists, and assorted propertarians very frequently cite the Non-Aggression principle or Zero Aggression principle (Commonly called NAP or ZAP) as a core tenet of their ideology. It is brought up as the building block of voluntaryism on which free markets can be built and proudly displayed to show how morally superior such a society would be compared to anything else which, by the absence of the NAP, is defined to have an involuntary aspect.

But what exactly is the NAP? The specific details might differ depending on the encompassing ideology, but the central point generally seems to be that no human should aggress over another human. This is meant to mean the initial use of coercive force as well as the threat of such.

Now, if left to this end, this is not a half-bad principle, basically saying that people shouldn’t attack or threaten to attack others. However at this stage, it is also pretty much unnecessary to be given an explicit existence as a “principle” as the generic principle of freedom already encompasses this (i.e. attacking another person would violate their freedom). Other moral theories, particularly the utilitarian variants already encompass such rules (with stipulation) as a natural consequence of their suggestions. In the end, this basic form of non-aggression ends up sounding like a shallow “Thou shalt not kill” which, while pretty clear, when strictly adhered to can lead to worse results (such as foregoing killing in self-defence) or requires a more advanced moral framework above it which clarifies when it is, in fact, acceptable to kill.

But propertarians do not generally leave it at just that but rather try to sneakily expand it by linking it with private property rights. You see, the NAP is frequently derived directly from the Self-Ownership “axiom” and thus the wrongly derived property rights are treated as an extension of the self. Therefore one can then treat violation of private property rights as an act of “initated force”, even though no actual violence or threat of violence has been perpetuated. This is turn is used as a cause to use actual violence or threat of violence on the violator of property rights.

It thus becomes that the NAP, when combined with Self-Ownership conveniently becomes an excuse for someone to initiate real, literal violence against someone else. The right to freedom or utilitarian moral rules reserve the right for people to defend themselves against aggression, that is, to take only as much action as needed to stop the aggression against their person. This is pretty self-evident when achieved, both to the one being attacked and to any observers (i.e. it’s obvious when two people have stopped exchanging blows and threats). When extended to private property however, things get far far more complex.

While it’s easy to understand that someone “aggresses” when they steal something from another person (which is why most other moral systems do not require a NAP to label theft as wrong), things get pretty murky when one goes beyond that. Do I “initiate force” when I use a productive machine without paying rent? How about if I pay only enough rent to cover the cost of the machine? Do I “initiate force” when I toil the unused land that is owned by someone else? How about when I trespass?

This is further complicated by the claims of the NAP proponents that the NAP does not excuse any and all acts of self-defence but is rather limited by the level of aggression. We’re informed that it does not in fact, grant the right of shooting trespassers. But this again does not really clarify the matter. Whereas in literal aggression, one is always aware of the level the initiator is using (threats, shoving, punching, lethal weapons etc) and can respond in kind, in this extended field of aggression you’re left to comparing apples with oranges. What is the correct response to someone trespassing your property? Trespassing on their property? Forcibly taking them out? Threatening to shoot them and then follow through if they don’t comply? The truth of the matter is that unlike literal aggression, you cannot discover how you can respond in kind intuitively.

Thus we see that unlike actual aggression where equal reaction can cancel the aggression (i.e. shoving can defend against shoving, punching can defend against punches etc), in “aggression” on property via the NAP, the self-defence enacted is and must always be different and stronger than the act of “aggression”. A trespasser cannot be removed by counter-trespassing. They must be forcibly removed and this is very likely to require (threats of) lethal force if they do not comply. This get even more complicated if that person does not accept the NAP and considers the literal acts of aggression against them as the initiation of force it is and defends in kind.

There is no solution to this issue. The NAP, as a moral rule is incapable of making any suggestions or providing any solutions as it does not say anything substantial other than the vacuous “Thou shalt not initiate violence”. Rather we are told that an extensive legal system will be required which will either interpret some kind of “natural law” or be somehow employ objective judges which make the perfect decisions. Something like the system of wealthy libertarian judges that Murray Rothbard proposed, which would follow some kind of “libertarian law”. In short, nothing more than a subjective legal system built around the principles that people like Rothbard prefer.

And all these issues occur before we even consider that extrapolating private property rights from the “axiom” of Self-Ownership is a non sequitur as it’s impossible to deride a particular set of ownership rights out of it (which is why you can see how much and how many libertarians disagree on what specific ownership rights to use). Due to this, a NAP that ideologically protects a particular set of ownership rights is nothing more than a subjective argument against the things a particular person does not like. That one does not like people trespassing on his property so he calls that “an initiation of force”. That other one does not consider trespassing to be such, but it’s certainly an “initiation of force” when workers don’t pay him rent for a factory’s costs he’s already recovered.

The NAP is shown to be pretty much a shallow principle. When limited to actual physical force, it’s superseded and made obsolete by moral systems which can explain when force is justified or not. When extended to concepts which are not immediately intuitive, its subjective nature quickly devolves it to shouting matches which can only be settled by a homogeneous system of courts and enforcement agencies. A de-facto state.

To me, when someone explains that according to the NAP, this or that is wrong, they mostly sound like “This or that is wrong, because I say so.”

Caros
May 14, 2008

Goddamnit, I realy wanted to loving sleep but I can't let this go unanswered.

jrodefeld posted:

It wouldn't matter because the act of aggression against a peaceful person would be a violation of the non aggression principle. I can totally disabuse you of your claim. In today's society, people assume that it is the State's "job" to look after the poor and provide healthcare to the elderly. They overwhelmingly support support the need to provide care and assistance to the needy. The reason this is clear is that politicians run on platforms that emphasize the supposed "charity" role of the State, to provide assistance to the poor, food stamps, healthcare to the elderly and education to the young. If this was not a genuine concern of the electorate, politicians wouldn't emphasize these issues as they do.

Yes, it is the state's job to look after the poor considering 50% of our elderly would be living in poverty without social security or medicare. Does this somehow surprise you that people don't want their grandmothers to have to, as one poster put it, suck-start a shotgun to prevent them ruining their children's lives?$

quote:

Even given that the State taxes people at high rates (usually 30-50% when all tax rates are combined) under the pretext of providing social services to those that need them, Americans still give more to charities than any other population on the face of the earth.

This article states that in 2013, we set a record for total charitable donations:

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/13/business/la-fi-mo-charitable-donations-record-2013-americans-20140113

Even given? The US tax rates are historically low, and there is no pretext about it considering that the US does provide those social services. The US also provides major tax incentives for charitable giving, but I don't see you talking about how that might in fact affect the amount of charitable giving the US handles.

quote:

The total given was $368.8 billion. Would not we expect this number to rise if people did not expect the State to supposedly provide all these benefits to people? The notion that people would not lift a finger to help the needy, the sick and the impoverished is contradicted by all the relevant data and statistics on charitable donations and volunteer work.

Wow! 368.8 Billion?! For the entire world!? I mean, that amount would pay for food stamps alone like... what, four times over? Yeah 80 billion times four, you'd even have some change left over. You know what it wouldn't pay for?

quote:

Medicaid = $297 Billion Dollars
Medicare = $491 Billion Dollars
Social Security = $730 Billion Dollars
Every other federal and state level social program = I don't loving know? A few hundred billion more?

The idea that we are going to replace the programs that we are talking about, programs that run roughly 1.5 Trillion dollars with charity is loving absurd. Like it doesn't even make sense in the most pie in the sky fashion.

I mean, lets look at your breakdown there:

quote:

-- Money for religious causes rose 8.6% in 2013 to $143.1 billion, up from $131.8 billion in 2012. Religious donations as a share of all giving fell from 36% to 35%.
-- Education causes grabbed the second biggest share at 16%, which was unchanged from 2012, but those numbers also rose by 15.7% to $68.2 billion, up from $58.9 billion.
-- Human needs/Disaster Services, now the third biggest and fastest growing category at 11% of all giving, was up 18.7% to $49.6 billion compared to $41.8 billion in 2012.
-- Health-related causes pulled in $32.3 billion, up 10.8%.

So of your 368.8 billion, which accounts for all worldwide US private charity and still only manages to be 1/5 the amount needed for these programs, 35% is garbage. Religious donations will have almost no effect on what we're talking about, it'd be a prince of space moment. Education, while great, doesn't apply to what we're talking about either. So lets be generous and say 50% goes to it. So 184 billion.

People would need to devote, on a personal level roughly 10x what they are donating now, without any tax incentives to do so just to break even with the programs that we have now. This is assuming that there would be no massive disadvantage due to losing the economy of scale. It also doesn't account for the fact that charity is the first thing to go when things get tough, which is of course the exact time we need these programs the most. Foodstamps automatically expanded to meet the needs of the people during the 2009 recession, while private charity shrunk.

How the gently caress do you think that is going to work.

quote:

If you couple this demonstrated desire by the American people to help others with the natural and documented tendency for the free market economy to steadily reduce poverty and provide greater and greater levels of prosperity year after year, then your fear of what will become of the vulnerable without the State is shown to be wholly without merit.

I agree, if you somehow showed the american public that you could eliminate all government while simultaneously getting them to invest at a minimum 10x as much in charity, despite the fact that you admit they'd be getting back at most 50% of their income (taxes), then yes they might consider it. They may also ask if you are Merlin or Gandalf the Accountant since you appear to be a financial wizard.

quote:

It has been well documented that poverty statistics had dropped steadily and substantially every decade until the 1960s, when Lyndon Johnson instituted his Great Society programs and "war on poverty". Poverty continued to decline at the exact same rate for another five years or so and it has stagnated ever since. How are we getting value for the trillions of dollars the US government is spending on "help" for the poor?

This is a bald faced lie. Poverty was at 19% when Lyndon Johnson instituted the great society program and it declined sharply to 11% in the aftermath of his programs, only increasing as the programs were gutted or slashed by people like you who like to pretend that they were having no effect. By every metric the poor in the United States are immeasurably less immiserated today than they were then. And that is only counting the great society programs.

As I've pointed out numerous times, Social security decreased poverty among the elderly from 67% to around 10%. It accounts for the full income of 50% of our seniors. Medicare is the sole medical care provider for the elderly (the most at risk group) in the US and it does so at substantially reduced costs from what any private insurer would be able to manage.

quote:

It doesn't take a genius to see clearly that politicians are bribing people for votes pure and simply. If you break someones legs and then give them a crutch to hobble around on, you haven't really helped them in the aggregate. Yes any transition away from government assistance would be tricky given the numbers that have become dependent but the historical record does NOT support the contention that an alternative market-based system would not benefit the poor and needy once established.

It doesn't take a genius to see that people like basic social services. Do you know the favorability rating of Universal Healthcare in Canada, IE. The program that everyone uses? 90%. You'll get the same numbers in most UHC countries, because when you can see a doctor and get cancer treatment without ruining the lives of your entire family that is a good thing. The same is true of nearly and social program that sees widespread use. The elderly love Social Security and Medicare, because those programs do a fantastic job at what they were intended to do.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Let me respond in complete honesty and without being condescending. That is really tough. I haven't said this to anyone on this forum, but I have been suffering from some fairly serious medical problems myself. I'm only 29 yet I've had enough problems over the past decade that has limited my ability to work at times. Luckily I'm expected to make a recovery but you don't have to tell me how difficult it is to deal with poor health and the problems that can arise from just bad luck. I'm more fortunate than many and I make a lot of my money working online with my own business and on side projects. I also work part time in a "real" job so I'm getting by. But I'm not the sort that some of you might imagine, a privileged rich kid who never knew hardship. It is quite the contrary.

I honestly believe that the State has altered our society in such profound ways. One way is that we have been trained to look to politicians and social workers rather than our community for help when we get hurt or have problems. We live more isolated lives when in the past we would have lived in more tight-knit communities. I would suspect that newer, social-media using mutual aid societies would spring up where communities of people would work together in social clubs to provide aid and assistance to each other in times of hardship. Such "friendly societies" (as they were also known) existed throughout the late 19th century and into the early 20th. They were quite popular among the poorest of the poor, especially African Americans at a time when racial discrimination was practically an institution in the United States.

I believe that is a very good model of how to institute a community where people are genuinely taken care of when they suffer from poor luck. I have heard many stories of sick people using crowd-sourcing ventures like Kickstarter to raise money for needed medical procedures to great success. We have the tools to help one another like we never have before.

I just think it is very important to not be paralyzed with fear. That is the States greatest tool to keep the masses in line. You fear what would happen if you didn't have your unemployment, your disability, your foodstamps, whatever. It is really no way to live, to be reliant on an impersonal bureaucracy that sees you as a permanent voting block because you literally cannot survive without them.

That is, unfortunately, just how they like it. I could say a great deal about how the State has caused medical costs to soar when medical services would be far cheaper in a free market environment. But I'll leave that for another time. But I want to reiterate that I understand what you are going though. It is no fun at all. Don't lose your dignity, don't give in to fear.

We can create a world of mutual aid where communities and social clubs provide aid to the needy rather than some faceless bureaucracy.

You mean like an insurance company? One that has every incentive to deny you coverage as long as possible because if you die while you are sick then they don't have to pay for poo poo?

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I think this habit you have of picking out choice exerpts of writings from various libertarians and making me answer for the opinions of others is an immature debate tactic. Do you have any idea of the shear volume of material that Stefan Molyneux has written and recorded over the years? He has thousands and thousands of several hour long podcasts and call in shows speaking on every topic imaginable, both related to libertarianism and unrelated.

Are you loving real?! :psyduck:

You realize I pulled those quotations off google in a handful of seconds right? Like I literally typed in Stefan Molyneux Misogynistic Hate speech and came back with that in the first 10 results. I can find you dozens, hundreds, perhaps even thousands of examples of Molyneux saying equally disgusting things if you'd like. I am limited more by my own personal amount of free time than I am by the number of loving horrible things Stefan Molyneux has said. I could go for days transcribing awful poo poo that he has said on his podcasts and not have skimed the surface of his hate speech.

To say that I'm picking out 'choice' excerpts is absurd.

quote:

If I list him as an influence, am I honestly supposed to answer or agree with everything he ever said? Or if not, do you really think I should be wasting my time publicly vociferously denouncing every word another prominent libertarian writes that I disagree with so I can be super politically correct in front of my leftist friends?

Everything he has ever said? No. The overall context of what he has said? Yes.

Let me make this clear to you JRodefeld, you have listed as an influence a man who is the leader of a cult. You have listed as an influence a man who was one of the lead speakers at the first annual 'A Voice for Men' conference, the Men's Rights Activist conference hosted by probably the most famous misogynist alive, Paul Elam. You have listed as an influence a man who refers to women as "Estrogen Based Parasites."

If you list someone like that as an influence, but fail to actually denounce the horrible loving things that he has said and continues to say on a nearly daily basis, I get to make fun of you for it. I get to point out that you think a goddamned cult leading, women hating sociopath is a good philosophical influence.

quote:

I find Molyneux interesting. I agree with him on some things and I disagree on others. He has done a great amount of good overall getting people to think about philosophy and anarchy but I disagree with him on plenty of issues.

Such as? Do you disagree with him on the things I posted before? The hate speech that I criticized him for?

quote:

I don't believe for a second that he is a misogynist. He has criticized women in particular in recent years because he puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of raising children peacefully. He personally was abused as a child and he has done a lot of working on the value of not spanking your children and raising them in a responsible way. Since woman typically have the role of child rearing in society and they are the ones who disproportionately hit their children, he is critical of those that do. This doesn't mean that he "hates women". He has been extremely critical of men who beat their children and who don't support their families.

I don't believe for a moment that Stefan Molyneux was actually abused as a child to be honest. Keep in mind that Stefan Molyneux lies a lot. He lies about his credentials, he lies about having DMCA actions taken against people who try to to show how much of a vile human being he is and on and on. I don't believe that he was actually abused in any way that a normal person would consider abuse, especially considering that he seems to believe that simply being a single mother is child abuse.

quote:

But he believes that society has given women a pass and not held them to account in their monumental role in shaping the next generation. Whether you agree or disagree, you have to understand the context.

Wait... oh poo poo, wait. Do you actually buy into this stuff? I've been working under the assumption that you just want to willingly ignore his constant hate speech, but this sounds like boilerplate Molyneux which means you've actually heard him say some of this stuff. Do you actually agree with him?

quote:

Even IF Molyneux is a misogynist and cult leader and Hoppe is a racist, that still does nothing to disprove the validity of the non-aggression principle or libertarian theory. It is the ideas that I am concerned with. I follow a great number of libertarian thinkers, including but not limited to the following:

Ludwig von Mises, Henry Hazlitt, Ron Paul, Stefan Molyneux, Hans Hoppe, Gary Chartier, Tom Woods, Lysander Spooner, Frederic Bastiat, Murray Rothbard, Stephan Kinsella, Scott Horton, Albert Jay Knock, Robert Nozick, Benjamin Tucker, Robert Murphy, Jacob Hornberger, Sheldon Richman, Will Grigg.

You know the difference between you and me? I don't think I have a single thinker who I quote for my ideas who vigorously spews anti-women filth on a day to day basis. In my similar list there isn't a single person who has had racist newsletters posted under his name (but who totally didn't write them, for realsies!). I don't have anyone who can be accused of being a white supremacist, a misogynist or anything else of the sort.

And the other difference is that if I did, I would denounce that motherfucker immediately, because that is sick and twisted.

Seriously JRodefeld, why is it so hard for you? I've asked you twice now whether you agree with this statement:

quote:

"I'd also like to hear your opinion on whether you still believe that this orwellian hellscape is a fair example of your principles in action?"

And twice now you have refused to answer. I also asked you "At what point does it bother you that the people you support hold sickening personal beliefs like this." and I think that I have the answer now. It doesn't really bother you at all, does it? You are fully capable of trying to believe that you can separate the vicious Misogyny out of Stefan Molyneux's beliefs and just add it to your dragon's horde of liberty. You don't seem to care at all that you are vocally supporting horrible people simply because they agree with you on some small things.

And thats just the worst, because I can't take you seriously at all when you don't even have the sense of self to realize that this is really wrong. I hate to be that guy and godwin it up, but you're doing the modern equivalent of "Hitler had some good ideas", but you can't even seem to gather the courage to say "Yeah, but that jewish stuff was pretty loving awful."

quote:

I agree with all of these people on at least 50% of what they write and say. Do you honestly want me to waste my time publicly denouncing the views of those I disagree with just for your benefit? It serves no purpose to me. They all are serious thinkers who have contributed a great deal. If one of them makes a bad argument then I am not afraid to say so. As when Rothbard failed to extend the non aggression principle to children in The Ethics of Liberty. He was wrong in that case and I am not afraid to point that out.

As I pointed out in a post slightly after the one you quoted, 13 of Molyneux's last 30 videos have had his warped views on women as their primary focus. I'd say since june that number comes pretty close to 50% of what he has said.

And yes, I want you to publicly denounce the views of an unabashed misogynist before you try and bring up his philosophy as a good thing. You say that if one of them brings up a bad argument that you are not afraid to say so, but you've yet to answer the question on Stefan Molyneux's DRO's as just one of countless examples. Rothbard seems to be the only case I have ever seen of you saying you outright think an idea is wrong, and that only because it is so egregious that there is simply no defence. Well there is no defence for a man who says things like this:

quote:

On Marriage: That's their entire job, 'yes' or 'no' Put some false eyelashes on, push your tits up and say yes or no. That's their loving job, yes or no. And that's the foundation of just about everything that goes on in the world, is the woman saying yes or no.

That's all it is. Everytime I talk about women's responsibility for who they gently caress and who they have children with, women are all like (mocks whiny voice) 'it takes two to tango' yeah, well when I was shopping for a ring there weren't a lot of women in there.

Here! Here's a downpayment on your pussy!"

quote:

On Marriage again: Do you want to be this vagina parasite that inhales wallets up her cooch without even crouching? eeek, some sort of reverse vacuum cleaner that Hoovers coins out of penises? I mean that's not what you want, right? You don't want to be that! Like, we (men) don't know what it's like to get paid for having an organ.

I'm very much into the equality of the sexes, like I *listen* to women when they say we want to be equal, which means not being a hole-based parasite."

quote:

On wives and children: "Well if they chose a man who's not around, then they are still responsible for that choice... the woman is the gatekeeper, because the woman is the one who suffers a lot more of the pregnancy. Historically what would hapen prior to the welfare state is the woman who got pregnant outside of wedlock... would go on vacation.. give birth to the child, the child would be given up for adoption, which was in the best interest of the child, because children who are adopted into two parent households do just fine. They do just fine relative to everybody else.

Statistically, there's no difference. But, women who keep the children as single mothers harm those children. It's an incredibly selfish and destructive thing to do... if you don't have a husband, if you chose the wrong guy, to keep the child is abusive, almost always...

...You've already proven that you're irresponsible, can't choose the right guy, can't keep your legs closed, cant use birth control, of which there are 18 different kinds, so maybe parenthood isn't for you!

quote:

Stefan Molynuex about his mother:"Yes she is! That's why she's not loving DEAD now! The bond was strong enough that I didn't loving kill her, and that's my forgiveness."

I don't recommend anyone click the links unless they have a strong stomach. I actually feel physically ill from writing some of that stuff, and as I said I have literally just skimmed the surface. I took a couple of trushibes videos that talked about women pretty much at random and this is what I've come up with.

So JRodefeld, do you still think that Stefan Molyneux is not a misogynist? A man who literally referred to women as being a 'hole based parasite?' I will absolutely drop this subject as soon you admit that he is, and denounce that fact. Believe me, I want to drop this subject because I am sickened just thinking about how much hatred a man can have for women.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

What moral claim does anyone else have on my justly earned property? Whether or not a wealth transfer is popular or not has no bearing on the legitimacy of the transfer. And why on earth would you assume that the private sector who need to match the State dollar for dollar in replacing State monopolized social services with private alternatives?

Considering that we already both seem to agree that property is simply a development of hairless monkey society to determine who gets what, I'd say we have plenty of moral claim. Under you system, probably not much but then again I don't exactly care about the moral system of a serial killer when it comes to whether murder is or is not appropriate now do I?

The moral system used by the VAST majority of the world views taxation as perfectly legitimate in the form of a democratic system of government. If you don't like that, that is absolutely fine and you are well within your rights to attempt to change the moral perspective of society to be in line with your views. Wishing or saying does not make that so however.

As for why I would assume the private sector would need to match the state dollar for dollar... basic math would be a start. Social security for example pays out in such a way that it is almost dollar for dollar in and out. If we acknowledge that many people rely solely on social security for their income, then we are going to need to replicate that, and in a situation where it is dollar for dollar you're going to need to be in the same general ballpark. Social Security isn't buying anything, its giving cash payouts and those cash payouts are going to need to be of that same value whether it is run publicly or privately.

That or old people starve.

Medicare on the other hand, is incredibly efficient as other posters have mentioned. For the people it covers medicare is several times more efficient than any private insurer in the US, I'm honestly being generous in suggesting that they merely need to match dollar for dollar. Fun fact, each eligible worker in the us would have to pay roughly $9,677 in charity to maintain just these programs, while the median amount of taxes paid in america for a household is about $12,000 or so. This is of course before paying for your DRO, every other form of insurance, the military, and so forth that you'd need to live. I'm sure people would be HAPPY to just give that money away.

quote:

Do you honestly have such a low opinion of our species that you think the only feasible way we have prevent our grandparents corpses from piling up on the streets is to point guns at everyone and steal their property, give it to an "elite" who are above the moral laws that govern mere mortals and permit them to redistribute it in politically motivated ways?

That is the best the human species has to offer to deal with taking care of the sick and elderly? Honestly?

Before Social Security 67% of our elderly lived in poverty. So... yeah, I think that social security has massively decreased poverty amongst the elderly, and the only way to run such massive social insurance program is to have everyone involved. No I don't think that involves pointing guys at everyone since that is a false comparison, I could easily ask you whether you think pointing guns at people is the only way to secure private property, since that is the end result if someone doesn't stay off your land is it not?

quote:

Furthermore how can you prove that you are not falling for the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy? Sure people are doing better now than they were a century ago but how do you know that this progress is due to State actions? And, more importantly, how can you be sure that had the market worked in the absence of State intervention, high taxation and redistribution, that poverty rates wouldn't have continued to decline at a faster rate than under the Great Society and War on Poverty?

You know its actually kind of cute to me that you seem to have learned a new word. Was it from west wing? Or did you pick it up all on your lonesome. All I know is that you're not really using it in the method for which it was intended.

At the risk of Tu quoque, you have no evidence to back up your assertion that I am incorrect, which is the problem with you simply declaring it a fallacy. For Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc to function you need to be able to show or at least convincingly suggest that my reading of it is wrong, or that yours is somehow more correct. You cannot do that, on the other hand, I can.

Take social security. Currently 50% of our elderly rely on social security as their primary source of income, and another 25% will likely rely on it once their savings run out. If poverty among the elderly had simply fallen as a result of the almighty market, then we would see many more people who live off of their own incomes and merely take SS as a bonus that is offered to them. Instead if we were to take Social Security out of the equation we'd see poverty rates rise pretty quickly back to where they were before the introduction of said program.

Another example would be Great Society era welfare programs. These programs unequivocally reduced poverty when they were introduced, but as I mentioned, were cut down by people like you more concerned with budgets than the poor. If poverty was on a continuous downward slope it would have gone down and stayed down, instead it went down with great society programs, and then wack-a-moled back up as the funding for those programs was cut.

quote:

It is not as if poverty rates were stagnant for the first fifty to sixty years of the twentieth century and only started to shift once government intervened. It is a matter of historical record that the poverty rate fell substantially every single decade.

Here is the poverty rate since 1959:

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/2010/Sep/s17-pove-char-480.png

Here is a relevant link:

http://www.economicsjunkie.com/us-poverty-rate-how-the-great-society-programs-reversed-its-decline/

Since poverty rates were declining every single year before the Federal Government created their welfare programs, why would we not expect these numbers to continue to decline?

Someone up thread covered this. The short version is that you're wrong, but I've spent about an hour and a half telling you so about a variety of things and I have work to do. You wouldn't believe them anyways because statistics and evidence don't matter much to you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Since you have the stomach for wading through Molyneux I have to ask, didn't he try to make a sockpuppet account on one of his videos as a reasonably educated 21 year old woman who agreed with everything he said, but forgot to logout of his real account first? I seem to recall somebody in the MRA hate-o-sphere loving up that badly and I think it was him.

The incident you're thinking of occured when he reposted this comment in his "The Truth about Frozen":

quote:

I love this. You totally kinda ruined frozen for me but i really enjoyed this a lot more than the actual movie. And you really got me thinking about a lot. Being an attractive young woman, I understand what is like to be seen as nothing more than a sex doll. I also know what it is like to use that to my "advantage" to "get over" the system. HELL I even know what it is to suffer mental illness, only to be told bu my parents to ignore it. HOWEVER, despite all of this I feel like I have learned more lessons from everything that has happened in my life. Thank you so much for posting this. Honestly I want to make a difference in the world, and I looked to people like you to sort of guide me in the right direction. THANKS SO MUCH.

By everything I've read it appears to be a real quote. Stefan loves reposting quotes from people who work the shaft because his is an egotistical cult leading sociopath, and it looks like he didn't bother citing the quotation in this instance. I honestly don't think he'd bother sock-puppeting since he has loyal followers to do that for him.

Personally what is more concerning to me is that Stefan Molyneux did a 61 minute video commentary on a disney children's movie about female empowerment to explain how all the female characters in the film are insane and its actually the men in the movie that are the protagonists. But that is par for the course for him really, this is the man who did a two hour video apologizing for mass shooter Elliot Rodger.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Alright that's more reasonable, still doesn't make him any less hosed up.

No, no it does not.

At some point in the next day or so I'm going to do a big write up on Molyneux, his shift from 'liberty' to his new focus on anti-women views and his connection to groups like A Voice for Men. Not directed at JRod, but just as an informative thing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

Great post. A fascinating debate.

Because you are arguing in such an honest and open-minded fashion, and not at all just shitposting.

Caros
May 14, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

Uh huh. There are a shitload of posters in this thread, most of whom you agree with and would never call out, who would have to go down for dishonest closed-minded poo poo posting before I did.

And? You were making a berating comment for someone else having a low content post. I am now doing the same thing to you. The difference is that someone like SedanChair will usually contribute something to a discussion. You seem to exist solely to post about Chile or to pedantically poo poo up threads.

Its not just that I don't agree with you on most things, though I don't. Its that your posting is maybe one step above worthless troll posting.

Fortunately I have a solution for this! :byewhore:

Caros
May 14, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

You forgot the smug.

At least J seems sincere, for all his problems I don't doubt that he is trying to honestly say his opinions. Water just seems like he is trying to troll D&D, but he is terrible at it. Sedan could school him something fierce.

Yeah, that is my take on it. Jrodefeld is a missionary. If he is a troll he's been working it for upwards of five years on multiple different websites and would put even the greatest troll like toblerone triangle to shame. Wateroverfire just seems like an rear end in a top hat who wants to be contrary, which is why he is on my ignore list.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I thought this article by David Stockman is relevant to this discussion. He explains how the creation of the Fed and our foolhardy decision to get involved in World War 1 (fueled by fiat money creation) set the stage for a century of constant war and the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Hey everyone, lets read this wall of text courtesy of David Stockman. You may remember him from some of his other work:

- He was the head of the Office of Management and Budget under Ronald Reagan. Famously supportive of 'Supply-Side' economics, he was instrumental in getting the 1981 budget passed in hopes of curtailing spending and the 'Welfare Queens'.
- In his attempt to curtail spending, the US public debt just shy of doubled. This is well above the levels that would have been projected had Jimmy Carter's policies remained in place. Turns out that cutting taxes pointlessly creates debt. :iiam: (For perspective, the debt grew by .8 trillion during his five years in office, when it had only been growing by 76 billion during Carter's term. And this was in a booming economy when that number should shrink, not more than double.)
- After exiting public service he worked in the financial sector before starting his own private equity group in 1999. By 2005 he had driven at least one major acquisition into the ground. I remember this because he was indicted but never brought to trial under the assumption that he had concluded massive fraud regarding said company. He might not have, but it wouldn't surprise me.

So what has he done lately? Well he put out a book recently that 'debunks' these supposed myths. His views in () mine are in []:

- FDR's New Deal ended the Depression (it prolonged it); [False according to every major historian and economist.]
- The Depression signaled a failure of capitalism (no, the Depression resulted from trade protectionism and the late 1920s stock market bubble that temporarily took down the farm and industrial sectors of the economy); [False, though apparently Capitalism cannot fail, it can only be failed.]
- The Reagan military buildup took down the Soviet Union (it was DOA economically by the time Reagan was elected and the vast military bequeathed to Reagan's successors made possible the Iraq and Afghanistan wars without Congressional approval); [I actually don't disagree with this one too much.]
- GM was on the verge of collapse in 2008 (actually, GE CEO Jeff Immelt's bonus was on the verge of collapse and GM would have recovered without government intervention); [Do I need to comment here?]
- And the biggest Big Lie of all, that the world economy was teetering on the edge in 2008 (Paulson and a few other "feckless bailsters" head-faked a compliant, moronic George W. Bush and a terrified Congress into rescuing Wall Street from nearly a trillion dollars of its drunken sailor-style gambling losses). [Seriously, do I need to say anything here? Only an idiot, a liar or an insane person actually thinks this.]

Like most alternate historians posted by Jrodefeld over the years, David Stockman is an amateur with little grasp on the realities of the things he is talking about. He can come off as convincing to an outside observer who lacks any real background or knowledge in the field, but if you talk with actual experts on the eras and issues he talks about you'll find that he is almost universally wrong.

Hey Jrodefeld can you do Thomas DiLorenzo's historical revisionism regarding the civil war next? I have a pre prepared rebuttal for those lies and it would save me some time.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 2, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

And since we are just posting big essays from other thinkers, I'm going to link you to a piece by Neil Irwin about Stockman's book

The nihilism of David Stockman posted:

I was probably the only kid in my high school who knew who David Stockman was. I found the former Reagan budget director's memoir to be a fascinating window into the world of economic policy. So that makes it a bit ironic that he and I both have books coming out this week that have completely opposite takes on the most crucial questions of how the U.S. economy ought to work.

Stylistically, our books are very different: "The Great Deformation: The Corruption of Capitalism in America" is a long, spittle-filled diatribe on how the Federal Reserve, Wall Street, FDR, and Richard Nixon ruined America. (Or so I gather — the book only came out today. But here are Stockman’s Sunday New York Times piece and an early review by Marcus Brauchli.) Mine is a reported narrative of the rise of central banking and the response of the leading central bankers to the 2007 to 2012 crisis.

Stockman and I seem to be direct antagonists on this fundamental question: Should government, in particular central banks, endeavor to corral the ups and downs of capitalism to try to steer their nation toward prosperity?

A recurring theme of Stockman’s work is that it is precisely these efforts that have sown the seeds for all that ails the economy. He writes in the Times: “As the federal government and its central-bank sidekick, the Fed, have groped for one goal after another — smoothing out the business cycle, minimizing inflation and unemployment at the same time, rolling out a giant social insurance blanket, promoting homeownership, subsidizing medical care, propping up old industries (agriculture, automobiles) and fostering new ones (“clean” energy, biotechnology) and, above all, bailing out Wall Street — they have now succumbed to overload, overreach and outside capture by powerful interests.”

There are some interesting arguments buried in his essay, and, I expect, the book. But pause for a minute to consider how fundamentally nihilistic Stockman’s view of the economy seems to be: that basically anything the state does to try to fix things is undermining some elegant capitalist order and will inevitably lead to chaos.

Consider one of the historical episodes that Stockman views as turning point on the United State’s road to perdition: the Roosevelt administration taking the dollar off the gold standard in 1933. The country was in a dire position at that time: a quarter of the population jobless, desolation rampant, the hopelessness fueling political extremism. A surprising number of people in the United States and Western Europe were starting to consider Communism a more attractive option, and in Germany this despair led directly to the rise of Nazism.

The consensus macroeconomic view, best established by Milton Friedman and Anna Schwartz in their “Monetary History of the United States,” is that the economic collapse was driven by a steep contraction in the money supply. Banks had been allowed to fail by the hundreds, contracting credit, and the commitment to the gold standard meant that the Federal Reserve was unable or unwilling to use other means to pump money into the economy to offset it. Prices were falling; while people were starving in the cities, grain sat in silos in farm country because prices had dropped so low. The gears of capitalism had stopped turning. The result was a catastrophe.

Stockman seems to think that the very practical step that the Roosevelt administration took to unshackle Americans from the gold standard was the beginning of an unmooring of capitalism, an unleashing of violent forces that have ruined our economy. But his alternative is . . . what? Forcing millions of Americans to endure grinding poverty because gold is good.

There is no perfect state-of-nature capitalism from which Richard Nixon and Franklin Roosevelt led us astray. Capitalism can only exist in a framework — monetary and legal — set up by the government. Reasonable people can disagree over what that framework should look like, and how interventionist that government or its monetary authority should be. But just because the specific set of options (should monetary policy be aimed at stabilizing the business cycle or at keeping the price of the dollar fixed versus a shiny metal?) doesn’t mean that one set of choices is a natural and perfect arrangement and that deviating from that policy will inevitably bring chaos.

Is basing the value of currency on a yellow metal that people find in the ground really less arbitrary than having a group of sober-minded economists get in a room eight times a year and try to adjust the supply of money so that prices rise about 2 percent annually? I’d take the group of sober-minded economists every time! They at least have the potential to learn from the mistakes of the past — the hyperinflation of 1920s Germany, the Great Depression of the 1930s, the high inflation of the 1970s and, for the generation ahead, the failure to contain excessive growth in private-sector debt that triggered the housing and mortgage bubbles in the 2000s that popped so calamitously in 2008.

I view each of those historical economic crises as a learning experience for humankind, as we grope toward a better way to create an economy where people can fulfill their potential, earn an income and count on their savings being secure. The best we can ask of our public servants is for them to learn from that history. That’s why I’ve spent the last few years of my life trying to write it.

The bolded sections are mine and I think they speak to a lot of the issues with JRodefeld's imaginary view of the depression as well.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Stockman is NOT a proponent of "trickle down", supply side economics. He had a short stint as budget director for the Reagan Administration but he quickly became disillusioned and left them to their failures before Reagan's first term was up. Supply side economics is a short of Keynesian economic stimulus that is directed towards subsidizing the privileged rather than the poor. Stockman is far closer to Austrian economic, anti-Fed, and pro sound money.

Okay, a couple of things. You are right that he does not currently support trickle down economics. Anymore. In fact he currently supports higher taxes than most Republicans because he isn't a total loving idiot, but then again he also supports massive spending cuts so... yeah.

Second, did you just really say that Supply Side economics is a sort of Keyensian economic stimulus? You are aware that this isn't true in any meaningful sense, that Supply-Side economics was in fact developed in direct opposition to Keynesian economics in the 1970's. That they both share some vague similarities pretty much only has to do with the fact that they are both part of the field of economics.

Third, stockman is a milton friedman era libertarian at best, in that he loves gold, hates government intervention and... yeah that is basically it. The man literally used the quote "Taxes are the price we pay for society." in a recent article as a positive thing, so I don't think you have as much common ground as you'd like.

quote:

David Stockman is quite well respected even among mainstream journals and publications. His latest book "The Great Deformation" is a tour de force of economic sanity and historical revisionism. It has been very well received by people inside the beltway and out.

David Stockman is tolerated because he is rich and still well connected, which is the same reason he didn't go to jail for fraud. His latest book is a depressing rant about how getting rid of gold ruins everything. Apparently the largest period of uninterrupted growth and prosperity, 1946-71 is a symptom of how bad things get when you get rid of gold.

Also I know that you're using historical revisionism in the textbook way, but it considering the negative connotation regarding common usage I find it hilarious that you're admitting how much he tries to rewrite history the way he wants it to be rather than the way it is.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Ludendorff Offensives: totally not a thing that happened, due to mutual exhaustion in 1917.

Stockman is such a loving hack.

Well yeah! If Woodrow Wilson hadn't decided to foolishly enter the war for like... literally no reason, Germany and France would have just called it quits. But once the US said they were going to get involved? Well then Germany had its rep on the line, so they had to keep going or people would call them a pussy and steal their lunch money for being afraid of the US.

I personally like these ones

quote:

America’s wholly unwarranted intervention in April 1917

Even conventional historians like Niall Ferguson admit as much. Had Woodrow Wilson not misled America on a messianic crusade...

I mean seriously. A cursory look at an encyclopedia (what even are those) would tell you that isn't true. Typing US entry to WWI tells you that isn't true. Germany decided they would engage in unrestricted submarine warfare around britain. The US was told this, and after Germany offered a military alliance to Mexico (a direct threat to the US) and started sinking their loving ships and killing the US citizens, Woodrow Wilson was forced into the war. Germany knew this was going to happen when they made the threat, but they did it anyways because they were gambling that they could win before the US got their poo poo together.

quote:

giving rise to totalitarianism among the defeated powers and Keynesianism among the victors. Choose your poison.

Over a decade later. After a great depression that had nothing to do with it. Yeah. Great historical work there.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 2, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Holy poo poo, catching up on this thread is getting painful. I am just going to pull out the worst bullshit I saw:

Page 7: http://www.census.gov/people/wealth/files/Wealth%20distribution%202000%20to%202011.pdf

There's also data on the mean net worth by income. Your average social security age person/household has several whole integer multiples of the net worth of your sub-35ers.

Okay, couple of things that I'll have to touch on here. Mostly because you don't understand some basic concepts.

First off, yes, the elderly have a higher net worth than the young on average. This is not something unique to this generation, or really any generation. Part of it is simply the fact that as you get older you own more things, but the primary cause of that disparity is owning your home. Elderly people will pretty much always have a higher net worth on average because they've had 30 years or more to pay down their mortgage. They aren't sitting on $150,000, that is the value of their home and/or their life savings/retirement income.

quote:

Additionally,

The median income for units aged 65 or older is $24,857, but there are wide differences within the total group. Approximately 13% have an income of under $10,000, and roughly 23% have an income of $50,000 or more.

That information + the net worth information above would indicate that the vast majority of the elderly would not be immediately running out to buy cans of Fancy Feast.

You know what is counted as income for that number you have quoted in there? Social loving Security! You either know this because you read it and are trying to lie about it, or you cribbed a stat and didn't bother to read the rest of the goddamned page before you came here to say how "bullshit" my claim was. Well here are some other choice quotes from the same source:

SSA.gov, the exact source of your quote posted:

Social Security benefits are especially important in providing economic security to the elderly. In 2008, nearly 9 out of 10 aged units recieved Social Security benefits. Social Security provided at least half of the total income for the majority of beneficiary aged units in 2008. Without Social Security, the majority of the aged units would have been exposed to great economic insecurity.

Median income is $25,000. 9/10 elderly used social security in 2008. The majority of those received at least half of their total income from Social Security. Without it their income would have been no more than $12,500. The federal poverty line for a family of two is $15,000. So how exactly am I wrong in saying that without Social Security at least half our elderly would be in poverty? Go on, explain it. I'll wait.

SSA.gov posted:

Social Security is the major source of income for most of the elderly.

-Nine out of ten individuals age 65 and older receive Social Security benefits.
-Social Security benefits represent about 38% of the income of the elderly.
-Among elderly Social Security beneficiaries, 52% of married couples and 74% of unmarried persons receive 50% or more of their income from Social Security.
-Among elderly Social Security beneficiaries, 22% of married couples and about 47% of unmarried persons rely on Social Security for 90% or more of their income.

Do you think the 47% of unmarried seniors might have to run out and buy cat food when they suddenly lose 90% of their income? Or do you think they should literally sell everything they own in an attempt to keep afloat a few more years before having pretty much zero income?

quote:

If you want to work up something a bit more targeted to low-income elderly, maybe that's fine, but consider that at the moment it acts functionally as a transfer payment from working individuals who typically have a lower net worth and not necessarily substantially higher income to the elderly.

This is exactly how social security has worked for 80 years. Current benefits are paid by existing workers, who will have their benefits paid out by future workers and so forth. The only way this could conceivably be a problem is if you see a point down the line where the US does not have new workers. But in that case I suspect we'd have bigger loving problems to do with not having given birth to children for several generations.

BONUS ROUND:

AlternateAccount posted:

The average social security recipient receives substantially more, as in six figures more, in payouts than payins.

This depends on what generation you are talking about. People who retired in the early years of Social Security got a hell of a lot more bang for their buck because they got full benefits despite not having paid in for their entire lifetimes. More modern retiree's don't have this happen since they have been paying into Medicare and SS for their lifetimes, and they can expect to get back a slightly higher amount than they paid in taxes. That said, the difference between benefits received and taxes paid is covered entirely by gains made through investment by the Social Security trust fund.

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 3, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

When did the U.S. start using paper currency?

1775... kinda.

The US used Continental Currency in 1775, though it quickly poo poo the bed due to overprinting and being backed by a government with no history and no 'standard'. They tried again in 1785 they issued the US dollar backed by silver, which had a troubled hitory as well. They followed it up with the silver dollar and associated coinage in 1792 and so on and so forth.

The dollar as we know it came into being with the federal reserve, but there were a lot of attempts beforehand. Moreover the US had a ton of competing currencies during its time other than government backed currency.

Fun fact, the Gold Standard of the US didn't solidify until 1900 and lasted only until 1933. Before 1900 the US was either silver or bimetal. As an additional fun fact, the reason the US switched from silver to gold is because they found a large amount of silver as they went west and it basically tanked the price of the silver in US coinage. Which is one of the many reasons that using metallic backed currency is loving retarded.

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 3, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

In some dystopian future, Libertopian States fight some kind of space battle to prevent the exploitation of near-Earth asteroids by filthy Statists, and the tanking of their precious gold market by a sudden massive influx of SPACE GOLD.

Mobile Suit Galt

If only everyone could understand one another, and also the Non-Aggression Principle, there would never be any war! Ayn Rand makes an appearance as the Cyber-Newtype lunatic only to be shot by Stefan Molyneux who calls her a stupid oval office for getting in the way of a man's duty to freedom.

... I might actually watch that, I'm not gonna lie.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay this is interesting. I admit, I had a rather different idea of what the gold standard folk were suggesting when they keep saying we need to go back to that. So are Jrode and people like him honestly suggesting that we start going back to a time when everyone carried gold coins and poo poo?

Well no, that isn't exactly right.

The gold standard basically works like this:

In the way olden days people would drop their money off at a bank. Then later they'd come back and get it so as to not have gold sitting around, while the banks in turn loaned out that money to gain interest and make their money. Eventually people got sick of having to go to the bank, pick up their money, cart it off to someone else and so forth (cuz gold is heavy) so the banks started issuing paper receipts that said "We will give x amount of gold to the bearer of this note."

Banks that held these dollars also did was is called 'fractional reserve lending' the general idea being that so long as people weren't all coming back at once, they didn't actually need to hold all of the money in the bank. They could keep 10%, loan out the other 90% and still be able to meet the day to day requests for gold unless things went totally tits up, because most people were just happy exchanging the notes of credit. This however was hugely vulnerable to the idea that if people lost faith in the bank, they'd all rush to be the one to get their gold out or else they be left with worthless paper.

That system is what evolved into what is called the gold standard. The USD is called a federal reserve note, and back in the day you it said on the bottom "Will pay to the bearer on demand One Dollar" where a dollar was defined as a specific amount of gold. The idea was that you could physically take this bill down to the federal reserve and straight up exchange it for a fixed amount of gold if you wanted to, and that promise to give you gold was what gave the money its value.

The problem with this is, that it heavily constrains the ability of the government to do anything with the money supply. If you only have say... fifty million 'dollars' worth of gold, you can only have fifty million dollars in circulation... you can't decide to start up a jobs program because you couldn't physically pay for it without raising taxes.

In the depression FDR wisely said 'gently caress that noise' and took the US off the gold standard. This meant he could print dollars, and so long as people trusted that the money had inherent value as currency, that is, that it was backed by the US government, they'd keep using it. And that is where we are today, with a Fiat currency backed by nothing but the faith that the US government will always repay its debts, which it always has/will.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

You are completely wrong about this. As a libertarian, I would support direct taxation at high rates over printing money. Every single time. When a government has the ability to monetize the debt, it is not clear to the average person what is happening. Rising prices don't occur right away (Or necessarily at all) and inflation doesn't affect everyone equally (It hits the rich far more). It impoverishes certain segments of society slowly and sneakily (The wealthy) while enriching other segments (The Poor, also not necessarily).

It allows an expansion of the State far beyond what anyone would tolerate if they actually had to directly pay taxes to fund the enterprise (Not really).

Short of ending the Federal Reserve and going back on the gold standard, it would be a great first step to pass a Constitutional amendment or law that would make it expressly illegal to monetize the debt or expand credit except in an emergency situation (Which would of course absolutely loving destroy the US economy). The effect of such a law (provided it could actually be enforced) would be to force the government to raise taxes on everyone to fund the current levels of spending (And constrain the ability to act in times of crisis. And also be stupid in light of historically low interest rates.). People would rebel and even previous supporters of expansive State power would favor a significant reduction in spending and the elimination of whole departments and programs (People would Rebel because their government would have done something increadibly retarded for no reason).

Once you get rid of the smokescreen of "free" money to paper over deficits, people actually come to grips with the genuine cost of these programs. The illusion is shattered and large scale efforts to push back against the State gain much more traction. (Read as: I think that no one 'really' wants medicare or social security, and if I could just wake up the sheeple.... etc)

I'm just going to start doing this, because its pretty fun.

Caros
May 14, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Having competing currencies would make lots of basic transactions a complete pain in the rear end.

Oh it absolutely did. The age of 'free banking' was a loving gong show.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

But that was before industrialization so it wasn't real :pseudo:

I assure you that the mid 1800's were not before industrialization.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's been my impression that, without meaning DarklyDreaming any insult (yet, at least), a lot of people conflate the 2nd Industrial Revolution in America (post-Civil War manufacturing leading into Gilded Age stuff) with all of it, and ignore the 1st altogether.

Good point. Didn't mean any offense by it, just thought it was funny.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh also since we were discussing it a page or two back, I don't get how right-wingers argue that FDR's policies somehow made the Depression worse. As time went on, he continually raised both taxes and spending. If the supply siders were correct, then with every tax and spending hike, the unemployment should have kept shooting up, yet the exact opposite happened. Just to reiterate, we had a 90%+ top tax rates with record spending by the time WWII came around. Doing those things should have plunged us into an economic black hole, the result of which would have made the Great Depression look like the Roaring 20s.

Well don't let logic stop you first of all. The last time Jrodefeld and I talked he suggested that FDR's policy was just a continuation of Hoover which is so out there that it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

The fact is that this is all pretty easily proven false. FDR's policy on the whole brought an end to the great depression, I mean its no real surprise that when a president gets into office and enacts sweeping changes to help the economy recover, the economy tends to recover. I'm sure Jrod will come in with his Post hoc ergo propter hoc, but multiple generations of scholarship on the issue suggest that in this case the correlation did in fact have a lot to do with the causation.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Another Great Depression fun fact: the gold standard made it harder to exit the Great Depression hence the mass exodus from the standard in the early 1930s.

You want a fun fact? The year a country left the gold standard directly correlated with the year it exited the great depression. That is to say, the earlier a country said 'gently caress this gold standard bullshit, lets fix our economy' the sooner said country had its economy fixed. Who'd have thunk it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Mutato posted:

I am not a pacifist at all. I just don't believe an ancap society would simply break down into a warrish hellscape.

I don't think an ancap society would break down into a warrish hellscape because I don't believe it could exist. Does that count?