Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Who What Now posted:

And what happens if the group isn't small? Like If Russia decides to invade? Are neighboring communities obligated to loan their militias in defense of another community?

Maybe. If they feel like it and/or are getting compensated (probably monetarily) and/or something something self-interests. The answer will always be something ridiculously oversimplified that doesn't take into account "basic human logic" or "the possibility of corrupt self-interest groups and individuals screwing over others being a BAD thing" or some other sort of logic which makes the actions of nations suffering from war fever seem calm and rationally thought out decisions. What few reasonable and otherwise good ideas libertarians come up with have this awful habit of drowning themselves in madness that even Spartans would not touch.

Honestly, just trying to parse the majority of libertarian positions, beliefs, and preferences causes me headaches, the fact that you people can go on about this for hours amazes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Time to read Zinn posted:

Maybe pedantic, but

In my experience, you pretty much have to be pedantic. Little details are important (that's where the devil hides you know. Insert appropriate joke here.) and, perhaps unsurprisingly, those little details which can completely change the meaning of what you're trying to say? Internet libertarian sorts often forget them, either due to poor grasp of basic grammar and sentence structure or because they're just plain idiots.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

LolitaSama posted:

I'm an immigrant, and during 2013 and 2014, as debate over immigration reformed raged on in the US, I saw how extremely anti-immigrant the Republican Party was. It was so extreme I could only imagine intense racist fervor could inspire such zeal. I reluctantly switched over to being a single issue Democrat at first, but started to see everything from a more leftist viewpoint over time. Now I see the same racist fervor of the anti-immigrant right also underlying libertarian ideology. I realized libertarian dislike for welfare was actually driven by the fact that it was viewed as a transfer of wealth from rich whites to poor blacks. The people on Stormfront (the white supremacist forum) spouted the same nonsense conspiracy theories about the federal reserve system as the libertarians, but they colorfully included heavy anti-Semitic arguments that libertarians omitted.

In short, I realized libertarianism was dog-whistle white supremacism. It's a racist ideology white-washed to remove references to race. Not being a libertarian anymore is a bit like leaving a religious cult, and seeing it from the outside perspective and realizing how much you were fooled.

Let me say that I am proud to see you say this, LS. It takes a lot to acknowledge the mistakes of the past, and it takes even more to realize how important it is to learn from and move away from them. If you ever decide to trust us with a mailing address I believe this sort of personal growth is deserving of rewards- perhaps in the form of my great great gramma's succulent golden chocolate chip cookies, rich fudge brownies, or blueberry muffins. (disclaimer: could take a month or two to send them out due to current levels of poor)

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

To me as an American, that does basically sound like some wish-fulfillment fantasy. In that vein, I want my post-scarcity Star Trek communism already. I know it's a fool's dream, but I can dream, drat you. :(

Hardly my dear, it's entirely reasonable to wish and dream for such a world- especially as we continue developing ever increasingly better means of supporting ourselves without the disgusting artificial scarcity economy of today. We do all sorts of horribly stupid things in the name of Stupid loving Bullshit That Rubs Our Manly Genitals So That We Feel Like Big Important People. Anyone who says that wanting a world that is not this is a piece of poo poo who needs to be shot in the face with unripened hakarl.

That said Star Trek's not really even communism, it's more post-scarcity bureaucratic democracy. Whether that's better or worse is up for discussion but y'know.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Okay here's a question for you liberies- what am I supposed to do? Me personally.

I'm someone who's been recovering (and likely will require at least another few years to fully recover, though there's a significant chance that I'll never be back to 100%) from a serious health condition that very nearly killed me, and has put me pretty loving deep into debt. I can't do physical labor anymore- I can barely keep my own room clean because of how exhausting most labors are (dropping 100 lbs in two weeks is a real killer on the physique, lemme tell yah) and because of the nature of the condition, high amounts of stress cause me physical pain that can, in sufficient amounts, be crippling. Like not "I need five minutes" but "oh god my stomach is killing me I need narcotic painkillers to make it stop and I'll be curled up in bed the rest of the day crying for it to stop." And then there's the kidney stones! I pass big ones when they crop up.

What pray tell do I do in your grand society? I'm currently surviving by living with my mom, who tried to be a good Christian housewife down here in the Southern Heartland which has left her fairly emotionally stunted (her problems are a whole different story but suffice to say every day is a struggle), we get by selling whatever junk and scrap we can cobble together plus government aid- without that aid we'd be poo poo outta luck and jolly well hosed.

Obviously weighed down by mountains of physical and emotional and psychological problems, we're having hard times finding any sort of paying work. And we're far from the only ones- millions and millions of other people, some with worse problems, others without- are just flat out unemployed. Either because we're not desirable to hire for the aforementioned Reasons, or because of high job competition with limited jobs (here in Columbus there's something like 4 or 5 people competing per job give or take, not counting seasonal work stuff), or because some people just despise us (I once had a resume thrown out in front of me by a man who watched me hold the door open for a pregnant black woman and this offended him as he said "we don't need your type around here." Family owned business, the guy was the owner's grandson.)

How do I survive in Libertopia? Seriously. How do those of us who have been less fortunate- especially for health reasons- get anywhere? I see no openings for any captains of industry who aren't in perfect health, with capital on hand from the moment they were born. Am I supposed to throw myself on the mercy of random charity, hoping that someone will either just give me money or give me a bare-subsistence job? Or do I just lay in the streets hoping to die quickly? It's highly unlikely that anywhere in the future I'll be able to "create value" for an employer, not by lack of will but by lack of health.

How do those of us whose health has, through no fault of their own (unless genetic inheritance is somehow my fault, I guess I shouldn't have beaten the other sperm into that egg), made us into undesirable employees, exist in this perfect magical fantasy land?

Serious inquiry by the by, everything I have said about myself in this post is true. I really want to know what I'm supposed to do outside of selling myself into slavery and hoping massah won't beat too much.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Easy there chummers, let's not turn this into a half-assed game of Shadowrun just yet. Sometimes they come up with interesting answers. Now granted most of us consider these forms of "interesting" to be "crazy as a shithouse rat" but that's beside the point.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
It's quite simple, Quarky. We've been living in relative comfort for so long since that dark time ended that everyone's forgotten how bad it is. Popular media over the years as it has set itself up demands and encourages us to work ourselves half to death to become rich because if you're rich you're IMPORTANT and if you're important the world is your oyster! And anyone can be important! Anyone at all! Just win the lottery or get lucky and make the Next Big Fuckmassively Expensive And/Or Important Thing Everyone Wants. But ignore that, ANYONE CAN DO IT!

The well off often don't FEEL well off because they see people above them living even MORE affluently than they do and they are constantly told by society they need to keep pushing themselves harder and higher and reach for that silver spoon so they can be at the very top. The wealthy are told that they are by virtue of their wealth superior to all others and it breeds contempt for those they consider their inferiors- which is everyone who isn't like them.

The Gilded Age is thus no longer seen as a thing that was a problem by them- those fools just caved in to the filthy peasants who want to take all THEIR rightful rewards. THEIR money. The world they live in constantly reinforces the idea that they are OWED everything and then some. That God himself will welcome them past the Pearly Gates because they worked so hard for their money.

Some of them did and do work hard- some put in 100 hour work weeks, busting their asses to keep massive companies and juggle colossal multinational deals. But most don't. Most simply inherited what they have and their only real "work" has become a game of "how to keep all of what I have, spend as little as possible except on super fancy things I like, and hoard even more because whoever has the most money/toys/whatever wins."

And in turn those people say "you can be like me too, you just have to work hard, LIKE I DID!" And they pay people to churn out endless media nonsense about how it's all true. And it sounds great to people who want to be on top, or who have very little or even nothing, for the same reasons communism sounds good- you can have it all too.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Corvinus posted:

I'm just blow away at how someone can be so delusional to think that namedropping a literal white supremacist and a literal cult leader as support for their position would positively influence the majority of people towards that position.

It's like saying eugenics is good, here's some Fritz Lenz and Eugene Fischer.

Hate to agree but.. I kinda have to. Molyneux is just the worst person to be holding up as your sterling example for anything. Even a not-sterling example. He's the sort of example you want to sweep under the rug into the basement where you keep him in a box far away from the world because every time he opens his mouth someone is walking away pissed the gently caress off at being called a racial slur or a worthless gender.

Maybe he should try arguing eugenics instead of libertarianism. That actually has some ground to stand upon if you veer away from the whole "breed the master race" thing and focus on the "let's use genetic manipulation to get rid of fuckawful things like crohn's disease and sickle cell anemia! It'll be great, guy!"

But seriously let's not bash too much. Or try not to at least. We are civilized people, god drat it, even if we are goons.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Jesus Ho Chi Minh Christ in a poodle skirt, Jrod. You literally answered my question with "the milk of human kindness"?! Are you loving with me? Are you HIGH? "Well I guess you'll just have to hope for charity!" Holy screaming cockmonglers. I'm sorry if I seem a bit taken aback by this but you have effectively said "well in libertopia the same thing, faceless charity from others! Only it won't be evil government State it will be good wholesome private rich people who for unnamed and unknown reasons will take care of you, not because of RULES but the GOODNESS OF THEIR HEARTS."

gently caress me with a rake, I knew you believed some crazy poo poo but to see you tell it to me personally just.. Blows my loving mind. You have turned governmental efforts to combat poverty- which I'll grant you are sometimes hosed up because bureaucracy CAN be inefficient at times but exists for really good reasons like checks and balances- into a sport for the wealthy to do on their off days, when they FEEL like it. Except in your world there's no state taxes or anything to incentivize them to do this with tax breaks, we're relying expressly on how they feel that day to determine whether or not we live or die. Because we have no economic power, and therefore no influence, and no protection, no property save for ourselves which we have already agreed is worth fuckall we are relying solely on the largesse of the powerful and provably uncaring for the most part idle rich. So relying solely on the largesse of the minority of powerful and rich people who DO care. Holy drat.

I can't tell if this is insane or flat out suicidal. It's like saying we can trust the sharks to take care of the tuna.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

twodot posted:

Unless you are proposing rewriting physics, contracts can always be broken, the only question is what happens after the contract is broken.

Well sparky, if we go by "all of human history" as to what will happen? The slave dies. Possibly dies HORRIBLY. A "merciful" master might just cripple or hobble them, a generous one might just have them savagely beaten. But if you keep slaves you must have measures in place to KEEP them- and that means the implied threat of violence. Otherwise there's not much to keep them in place aside from some ridiculous sense of "honor" or "fairness."

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
That may be true but we've managed to at least get SOME of the basic ideas of civilization into the heads of SOME of these liberries so hey, points for that, am I right?

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

D&D: Forum imperialists bringing the light of enlightened leftist civilization to the noble savages. No we don't see anything ironic about that, why do you ask?

And we even managed to do it without enslaving, slaughtering, and otherwise oppressing people into licking our boots, farming our turnips, and picking our cotton! God drat we're on a roll, ain't we boys! Let's go hunt some of the native fauna for a larf.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Bureaucracy is inefficient by design, and for good reason.

That's not necessarily true, in point of fact! Bureaucracy can be HIGHLY efficient under a remarkable number of circumstances. Like.. Okay simple example. Tag office, where you go to pay the taxes on your vehicle tags and whatnot. Down here in Columbus, it used to be a long arduous process that took hours like ye olde DMVe due to tightly compacted office spaces shared with a buttload of other branches of local government so everything took forever.

They opened a secondary building to ease the weight on the central building. You go in to pay your tags, register your car, poo poo like that? Takes at most thirty minutes. Maybe an hour on a really slow day during flu season and half the staff is sick and can't work. But it's hella efficient now compared to how it was- people pay their taxes, register their vehicles, pay property taxes, etc, in minutes compared to the hours it took before.

But yeah otherwise I agree with you- it is largely inefficient by design and for lots of very good Reasons.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

People spend a lot of time being purposefully obtuse.

I'm noticing a lot of you liberries throwing that word around. I think it does not mean what you think it means. We've all been pretty much clear as loving crystal, with the exception of SedanChair who's been as transparent as loving breathable atmosphere because he's a straightforward rear end in a top hat, and you're calling us OBTUSE? Please stop talking and go look up that word in the dictionary. In fact read the dictionary- Oxford, ideally- and come back when you understand English better.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
One thing I've learned Jack- that it's a trainwreck doesn't matter. The libertarian will support it without question under the impression that they are one of the true captains of industry who will, no matter what, come out on top of the heap after the train has burst into flames. They will have the money and power to do as they please, when they please, and how they please with impunity. That's always been one of the biggest draws.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Depends on the crops. The apple orchards I saw up in Virginia paid people by the bushel and nothing else. You want good pay? Pick fucktons of fruit!

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I guess my primary problems with Capitalism are that: 1) It promotes an unjustifiably unequal and arbitrary distribution of income and wealth, 2) It is extremely prone to manias, panics, and devastating crashes, 3) It does not and will not ever attain full employment. I don't think Libertarianism does anything to fix any of these issues, nor do these problems appear to be acknowledged by Libertarianism, so it isn't the philosophy for me.

There is no system anywhere that has ever existed which can guarantee "100% employment" my dear goon. The closest thing to that is old Stalinist Russia just making up poo poo work for people and paying them fuckall for it- pointless work for pointless pay, and even then it wasn't 100%. The sheer population means that you can never have EVERYONE working, but that's part of why societies develop systems to take care of those it can't or won't employ. And that's okay.

Manias aren't unique to capitalism but they can, admittedly, be easily exacerbated by it presuming such exploitation is allowed. You can make rules and regulations to disallow it of course, and I'm all in favor of that. But sometimes manias are justified, so keep that in mind.

Now as for the unequal and arbitrary distribution of wealth.. ...Uhm, well you find that everywhere. Oh sure commies like to roar about how equal everything is, but then Animal Farm happens- it's inevitable. Some people will be at the top, others will not be. The trick is in social policies that prevent this inequality from becoming so gross that we recreate The Bad Old Days instead of working to make Better Tomorrows.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

100% employment is not "100% of the population has a job," you know that right? It means everyone who wants a job can get one.

I'm well aware, in fact. It does not change my statement in the least. There just isn't enough stuff to GIVE people to ensure 100% employment. There's just not enough industries to do it. Even if you just create bullshit jobs to give to people to keep them busy there's not going to be enough to go around. It's just not feasible, especially when you have increasingly bigger and bigger and bigger populations to employ.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
They'll all vanish in a puff of smoke and raw unfettered capitalism, enlightened by the mighty hand of God-errr I mean the mighty hand of the invisible chain of the Free Market- to do good and ahahahaha I can't even finish the joke.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Why do Libertarians, most specifically you and Mutato, seem to have this completely retarded idea that wars are funded up front? They almost never are, and the aggressing force certainly isn't. I mean, do you honestly think that before a war is waged all the top military brass gathers up and says "Alright, everybody turn out your pockets and let's see how much scratch we have to work with here. Hmmm, alright, I think this'll just about pay for 30 cruise missiles and a light frigate. Let's go to war, boys!"

Colin Powell's lunch money could surely afford a campaign against the Somali Pirates. I'll bet if we go ask Oliver North for his allowance we could even expand it into working some kind of stability into the region!

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Words and things.

Okay. Hey man, I can go for that. Capitalism sure has its fair share of flaws, no denying that. If we can all come up with a better system that's more capable of making life better for everyone overall I'm all for it, though I don't see that happening anytime soon- we'll need some significant jumps in both sociological norms and, I think, technological/scientific developments. In the meantime we'll just have to take what we've got and hammer it into a shape that serves the whole of humanity to the best of our abilities. That's my biggest point at the end of the day.

Gonna need a really big hammer, sure, but I'd like to think we can, as they say down here in the South, "git'r done." I'm a stupidly optimistic person like that.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Honestly, VitalSigns? I wouldn't even bother with the long explanation post. We all know that once he acknowledges it the answer will invariably and be "it's always the fault of the State. The State is responsible for all evils. The State started the Korean War. The State assassinated JFK. The State killed John the Baptist. All evils everywhere forever in perpetuity are the fault of States and Statists."

I mean I'd love to have an actual debate but we never get anywhere except with one or occasionally on a rare day in June in England when the skies are clear for five minutes at 4 AM before the bells ring we might get two people to actually discuss things. But Jrod will never give you a straight answer.

But maybe the problem is me. Jrod and his fellows tire the hell out of me for the most part- I broke my brain busting cranial rear end to study economic theory and social histories and what have you, and watching twats like this just piss it away to say "oh well only our magical fantasy land really matters" so dismissively aggravates.

At least SedanChair is here to make me chuckle with his assholery, along with a few other choice goons who make the laughs worth the effort.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Sorry my post was long

Oh don't think for a minute I was trying to insinuate any sort of error on your part- I'm just pointing out we never really get much in the way of good answers and rational debate. The general trend is endless circular logic and recursion loops of MAH FREEDOMS and EVIL STATE and what have you. It often seems pointless to me to bother asking- especially when Jrod actually answered my post in a way I find particularly horrifying.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
poo poo, man, Lord Humongous comes across as a fuckin' saint in comparison to those entirely reasonable potential DROs. Hell I might even consider joining his ragtag crew of 80s hairband homo/bisexual rapehappy bloodthirsty psychopaths. Sure there'll be suffering but at least we'll be HONEST about it, and you'll have a reasonable chance of actually enjoying a sense of community genuinely free from internal strife and discrimination- it's a simple matter of "us vs them", otherwise everyone in the group is largely equal and treated fairly. Humongous genuinely loves and cares for all of his freaks.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Ehh I'll stick with Lord Humongous and his group. I'm already a biker and I have a good, sturdy leather jacket, so I've got an easy in and the rest of the guys will probably have some instant respect for me. Plus I know a lot about how to knit and sew so I can help everyone add more spikes and random bits of metal, cloth, rhinestones, whatever to their armor-clothes. Never used a hand crossbow before but I'm sure one of the be-mohawked thugs can teach me how to be proficient, that or I can teach them how to use firearms. Either or.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

Allowing corporations to compete for a monopoly on violence is a pretty common sci-fi trope (which makes AnCap support for the idea all the more hilarious). But it would be fun to see a talented author try to go full Rothbard with his dystopian setting just to see where it takes him.

He'd get sued by Catalyst Game Labs- Shadowrun is already a published, copyright protected dystopian setting.

I'd say "all joking aside" but really I can't, because.. That's kinda the world libertarians want to populate and inhabit. A world where corporate powers are effectively absolute and hold all the real power. The only real difference is that in the libertarian fantasy land it's all still humans and no magical stuff (with the exception of all corporate powers for some bizarre reason being 'rational actors' who are always moral and ethical and never abusive or destructive or anything else because noble captains of industry blah blah blah heard it all before).

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Libertarians and Anarcho Capitalists, how do you imagine your society coming into being? It seems clear that the evil central bankers and dictators don't want your society, and will do what they can to crush it or stop it from happening, so I wonder if you acknowledge that you could only accomplish your goals with a revolution. In that case, I'd like to know who the base of support is... will you get the working and middle classes on board, or just rich people? And how will you convince the hundreds of millions of moochers and takers to join your cause?

The answer to this is simple- post-apocalyptia logic. No, seriously. The train of thought they all rely upon that would somehow get the vast majority of the unwashed masses behind them follows almost precisely same bread crumb trail that you can see in a significant amount of post-apocalypse-type fiction. Some manner of massive upheaval that would be on par with the world itself as it is coming to an end is what would be required to shake all the foundations loose so that new powers could rise to fill the vacuum. There is literally no other way for them to achieve this sudden complete restructuring of the entire planet's economic, social, and political status quos- not that you're likely to get them to acknowledge this.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Reasonably speaking? I expect you wouldn't get the chance to join Caesar's Legion. Chances are good that if your home isn't being defended by an immediate threat then well you're pretty well hosed, son, and once you and your inheritors are dead the BOS DRO simply waits out the super mutants, or buys them out, and then claims your land for themselves.

Or presuming you have time before the attack you can sell your land to the BOS DRO which will obviously try to pay out as little as they can for it and then you move to another DRO's territory where hopefully you can somehow procure more land (even though you have fuckall for assets because you had to sell your land cheap because of the immediate danger and thus low property value and even if you sold all your belongings there's a rat's chance in a room full of cats that small belongings could begin to compare to land value for liquid assets) and hopefully have a new DRO that will honor their contract(s) with you in the event of more attacks.

Presuming of course the DROs aren't in league with the super mutants to begin with, paying them to attack you so they can drive your property values down so they can get your land cheap cheap cheap. Because that kind of thing has never ever happened before in a completely unregulated stateless society *coughcoughyesithascoughcough*

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Well if you get the whole head you get a lot of options for positive ID. Dental records, blood samples, facial recognition via pictures, poo poo like that. Basically you bring in the whole head in decent condition nobody can argue that you didn't get the right guy. Plus after you're done ID'ing it the heads can be put into storage for later use in catapults, where they will be launched over town walls into the wailing masses of victims and defenders, causing severe demoralization.

So it is in fact, very efficient!

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

Heck, socialism has almost never been popular with middle-class Americans. Time was when 'socialist' was practically synonymous with 'labor-unionist'.

Unions weren't really the problem with the middle class- unions are critically necessary to protecting worker's rights. The problem was the hard-right wing federal and upper class elements' efforts to associate socialism with communism because of the Great Red Scare that still persists today. Which is hilariously/disgustingly ironic given how often we see those same right wing elements praise societies which maintain a significant amount of their communistic pasts, like China and Russia.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
To all of you who can find the energy to continue debating Jrod and his ilk, I want to say- kudos to you. No really, you are incredible people to continue battering your sanity against a collection of idiots whose only answer to every single actual real world fact that has been proven beyond all shadow of a doubt by the vast majority of human history itself is "lalalala I can't hear you my fantasies of power are more important and real than your silly actual reality."

Even if I weren't hosed up on painkillers I would not have the energy to bother pointing out every single glaring flaw that makes up the lion's share of this self-important, self-destructive, patently bullshit ideology. I haven't the energy anymore. And I'm someone who managed to read through the FATAL rulebook without giving my pistol a blowjob. Every one of you deserves delicious food and high paying jobs.

Alas, all I have left within me is to stare blankly at the likes of Jrod and wonder how they have fallen so far into the pot of complete rejection of reality in favor of fantasies which cannot possibly work. What nightmares have these people suffered that would make them so willing, even eager, to subject themselves to a system that would inevitably and invariably turn on them faster than malignant cancers turn upon their hosts?

I can no longer tell the blurry line between pity and mockery- whether I should feel sorry that these people seriously believe they would be better off in a system with no authority that can be held accountable, or whether I should mock them for the unquestionably wrong falsehoods they so happily crow to be facts simply because it makes them happy.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think it's fair to say "you can't be rich and moral"- even if you're disgustingly wealthy you can only do so much with that wealth. Sure you can give lots of it away but if every wealthy person suddenly liquidated their assets and dumped it into helping the poor, most of our economy would actually collapse. The majority of wealth itself is tied up into non-cash assets that rely on continuous, effectively permanent, investments. Companies, businesses, trade relations, all that poo poo would collapse. Could the wealthy be doing a lot more with this instead of just auto-moneying themselves even more? Sure, no argument there, but just "collapsing it all into liquid assets for immediate expenditure into helping others" wouldn't really work. The way the wealth is all tied up would just tear everything to pieces.

The better answer is steady incremental changes to the system with incentive systems for helping others by using that wealth and criminalizing and penalizing harmful exploitative practices and standards. We want a robust and healthy economic system here. Just taking it all away would be destructive. Limiting the ability of money to buy influence and political power alone would accomplish more than just taking 90% of say Warren Buffett's money away to spend it all.

e: also I would suggest we don't go down the slope of "oh well your ancestors made you wealthy so you're as guilty as they are." If we follow THAT train of logic then gently caress everyone is guilty of everything and that's just non-conducive to getting a loving thing done as everyone starts bickering over who's guilty of what for their forebears' actions. Sins of the father are not the sins of the son- sins of the son are theirs alone. If they choose to use their ancestry to be dicks then THAT is on their heads, the accident of birth alone to a wealthy family does not automagically create guilt.

Reverend Catharsis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 5, 2014

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Well generally we (and by we I mean "the overwhelming majority of the world, with the exception of remarkably state-weak third world hellholes") don't KILL people for not paying their taxes. We seize their assets to make up for their refusal to chip in to keeping society as a whole running. They only get killed if they start getting violent about it- and hell even then they frequently don't get killed, as can be seen by Cliven Bundy's racist filth who are catered to and coddled because they are such good white Christian souls (yes I know it's a bit tangential but it's still an actual point dammit).

One wonders what happens to the Cliven Bundies of the world in Libertopia. They commit grievous aggression as a matter of course, on racial, religious, and economic grounds. We know without doubt they would continue to commit aggressions, especially against those they see as ethnic inferiors, and that they possess significant firepower to do so. What DROs would dare go up against them?

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Any DRO that wants to obtain some fine cattle from DRO-less non-people? Or to simply run a live fire training exercise with live targets?

They might as well be their own DRO. We know they have military and near-military grade firepower at their disposal- we've seen them surround federal officials with high powered rifles and other such weapons leveled with their heads. Attacking them is not profitable. Who will take them on? You'd need significantly superior equipment to be able to fight them without fear of losing your soldiers- y'know like the US military or something- and even then sending out that manpower with proper logistical and armored support would be quite a costly investment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Don't forget the staggering incidents of rape, cannibalism, and enslavement! Half the world wouldn't have been shaped the way it is were it not for all that.