Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just a reminder from earlier in the thread that the world's only Glorious Anarcho-Capitalist Libertarian nation: led by Captains of Industry, Borne of the Power of the Unfettered Human Mind, backed by the limitless genius and sagacity of the First Unenslaved Men, lost its War of Independence to twenty dudes and a four-piece brass band and was annexed without a fight to the mighty superstate known as the Kingdom of Tonga (population less than 1/2 that of Waco, TX)

BrandorKP posted:

Further, how do these regulatory standards come into being. Well bad poo poo happens and people die. But on top of that somebody has to pay out for the damages. When enough bad poo poo happens for the same drat reason repeatedly insurance companies get together and say we need to do something about this. They collaborate with government agencies, experts, politicians, and participate in coming up with those bodies of regulation they will later use and rely on to reduce risk.

Ah see, right there you've proven that the regulatory standards are agreed upon by private companies based on their experiences, who obviously have a rational interest in following those standards even without redundant and tyrannical enforcement by state power.

For example, take a couple of long-recognized basic insurance standards: insurance may only be taken out by someone who has a material interest in the insured item (allowing people to gamble on accidents natural disasters by insuring property they don't own increases risk rather than managing it because insurance companies could have to pay out dozens or hundreds of times over on a single asset), and insurance companies must meet minimum capital requirements based on risk determined from actuarial data to ensure the ability to pay out with some acceptable level of probability (say 99.5% over the next 12 months).

Since violating these basic rules is not in the rational self-interest of an insurance company that wants to maintain long-term solvency and profitability, it is unnecessary to impose them by force as statists wish to do (with the ulterior motive of gaining control of the industry). Rather than strangling insurance companies with regulations at the point of a gun, the market would be much healthier if we recognize that an established and venerable firm, like oh let's say, AIG, would never sell insurance on debt to people who don't even own it, and would certainly never rack up huge short-term profits by catastrophically underpricing their insurance by assuming based on zero real-world evidence that the risk of having to pay out was essentially zero.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

If my house is on fire in Libertopia I feel I should not have to stop and make a rational decision to figure out who has the best fire department in my community. I am opposed to having the right to this decision because I know I will make the wrong choice every time, as my only criteria for "Best fire department" is the one that shows up first.

Eh, to be fair to Libertarians, this doesn't seem like that much of a problem. Banks already require mortgage-holders to carry insurance on the home or commercial property they're buying because banks don't like the idea of foreclosing on a pile of ashes. In a world where fire departments were private outfits, it's actually reasonable to suppose that your home insurance provider would have a preëxisting contract with a fire department and pay rates negotiated ahead of time. The insurance company pretty obviously won't do business with poo poo fire departments and if the FD incompetence makes you lose your home, the insurance company would still make you whole and they'd have the deep pockets to go after the FD if they want much like auto insurance companies do now. Yeah if you own your home outright and you're caught without it, you're hosed and you'll never be able to afford their disaster pricing, but really you're basically just as hosed today if your home burns down and it's uninsured.

The real issue is what happens when a fire starts in that abandoned warehouse, or that blighted slum, or the shantytown just past the city limits, or in the nearby drought-ravaged wilderness with no burn ban in place. It's obviously in everyone's best interests to put out fires in abandoned buildings as quickly as possible before it turns into an uncontrollable city-destroying conflagration, but whichever fire department is the first to respond gets saddled with costs it can't recoup...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

So even if the "safety improvement" is something as simple and cheap as "don't lock your fire doors", a lot of factory owners still hired thugs to stop a strike over spending money on improvements because the Pinkertons had secondary effects as a form of risk reduction. Free market!

"But the workers' DRO (union) would stop Pinkerton DRO from ruling that strikes are an illegal initiation of force against the property owner, and they'd protect the workers!"

Oh wait,

which DRO is more likely to be well-funded and well-equipped, the one that caters to the top 5% of the country that owns 60% of the wealth? Or the one protecting the bottom 40% that commands 0.2% of the wealth?

"Ah, but those wealth concentrations only exist because of statist coercion by monopolists. In a truly free society, the wealth would be much more equitable and no one could amass those kind of resources without the state initiating force on his behalf."

And then we remember:

jrodefeld posted:

SOME business owners collude with the State. There is a limited viability to any plan to retroactively redistribute all coercively redistributed wealth that occurred during a century of State control over the economy. Everyone is forced to deal with the system as it exists, to survive in the best manner they can. Now, as I've said before, if property was legitimately stolen and it can be proven to be stolen, then said property should returned to its original owner. However, the burden of proof must rest on those that want to overturn existing private property claims.
This will all get sorted out in short order during a transition to a free economy. The State protections and privileges including the entity called the limited liability "corporation" will fall to the side and these businessmen will no longer have a shield to protect them from liability for their actions. They will either satisfy consumers on the market, or go out of business and look for a new occupation.

That's right, the first step to a free society is to leave the wealth disribution almost untouched and then remove any restraint on the oligarchs who control the majority of the resources in the country from imposing their will by naked force. Eh, it will all get sorted justly with no private armies initiating force though, no worries.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 30, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

I see this sort of talk a lot in this thread. Most "Small-l libertarians" are not angling for a completely anarcho-capitalist stateless society. National defense is commonly held as one of those things you need a central government to accomplish properly.

jrodefeld is though. He argues that all taxation is theft and even a monopoly on force is immoral.

AlternateAccount posted:

Situations like this already exist. Small cities often do not have the ability or funding to maintain and keep up their own fire department. Or sometimes individuals live well outside any city limits. Typically, they pay a yearly fee, and there are examples of houses being allowed to burn for those who didn't or "forgot" to pay. I believe there was also an incident where a woman had her housefire put out without paying once, went on not paying, but it was allowed to burn down the second time.

Those cities pay other cities to provide their fire protection though. They don't leave fire protection up to property owners buying individual subscriptions from competing companies. The case you're referring to was a rural area, and the fire department did show up to protect the neighbor's property in case the fire spread. Dense cities don't have that luxury.

Maybe you'd care to address my earlier implied question for fire protection by individual subscription: what happens when a fire breaks out in an abandoned warehouse in the blighted slums where you can't just wait until the conflagration reaches a subscribers' property? It's in every fire department's best interest to put out the fire regardless, but whichever one actually does it just incurred an un-recoupable cost that its competitors don't have to pay.

AlternateAccount posted:

Interesting, was this a generalized vote in the county? How was the decision made to turn this down?
It was a county full of rich assholes with more land than sense who voted down tax-funded coverage because they figured they'd be better off avoiding a tax and just being smart enough to never have a fire. And if they did, they imagined the fire department would come out regardless and they could just pay their yearly subscription after the fact. Why pay an annual fee when the fire department is going to have to come out anyway to protect the neighbors and you can just sponge off of them? In other words Libertarianism.txt

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 30, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know, I figure the easiest thing to do with the non-subscriber but unowned properties like you mention would be to attach something like the Universal Service Fund for phones, where a small portion of an owner's bill to cover their own property also covers situations like that.
Ah, so you're saying since I know that the other fire departments will stop blazes in abandoned property before they threaten the city, then my new VitalSigns Fire Department doesn't have to worry about the whole city burning down, so I can forgo the costs of putting out those fires and pass the savings onto my customers by not charging the Universal Service Fee! Sorry Altruist Fire Department, you just can't beat my low prices!

AlternateAccount posted:

But to belabor the point, "What about fire departments?" is only slightly less cliche and functionally useless to a discussion of libertarianism as "What about ROAAAAAAAAADS?!" They represent a statistically insignificant amount of taxation and no direct utilization of force.

If statist whining about roads and fire departments is so negligibly easy to solve, why don't libertarians ever have actual workable solutions to those things? Even the most naïve anarco-syndicalists actually put effort into their responses beyond repeating questions they can't answer in a mocking tone.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

One of the best roles of government is to enforce private property rights. This would include issues regarding pollution.

Uh, what? How can you say this as a minarchist?! It's already been tried. Jrodefeld as a right-anarchist can at least can make the argument that statist courts are too easily bought off by industry, which could never happen in a free market where the court's very existence depends on the subscription fees paid by the petitioners (I'm sure that won't affect the court's judgment though). It's dumb, but at least he has the advantage of arguing for something imaginary that doesn't have real life counterexamples.

What you're suggesting has already been tried and failed here in America under a limited small 'l' libertarian government.

To wit,

Huckenstine's Appeal, Pennsylvania Supreme Court 1872 posted:

Brickmaking is a useful and necessary employment, and must be pursued near to towns and cities where bricks arc chiefiy used. Brickburning, an essential part of the business, is not a nuisance per se. It, as many other useful employments do, may produce some discomfort and even some injury to those near by. But it does not follow that a chancellor would enjoin therefor. The heat, smoke and vapor of a brick kiln cannot compare with those of many manufactories carried on in the very heart of such busy cities as Pittsburg and Allegheny. A court exercising the power of a chancellor, whose arm may fall with crushing force upon the every day business of men, destroying lawful means of support, and diverting property from legitimate uses, cannot approach such cases as this with too much caution.
In the present case the kiln of the defendant is situated on an outskirt of the city of Allegheny. The properties of the plaintiff and defendant lie adjoining each other, on the hillside overlooking the city, whose every-day cloud of smoke from thousands of chimneys and stacks hangs like a pall over it like a pall, obscuring it from sight. This single word describes the characteristics of this city, its kind of fuel, its business , the habits of its people and the industries which give it prosperity and wealth. The people who live in such a city or within its sphere of influence do so of choice, and they voluntarily subject themselves to its peculiarities and its discomforts for the greater benefit they think they derive from their residence or their business there.
With these views in mind, an examination of the evidence in this case discloses no ground to move a chancellor to enjoin against the use of the defendant's kiln, and thus to destroy his business and divert his property from a legitimate use. The gravamen of the plaintiff’s bill is that the smoke and gases from the defendant's kiln injured and partially destroyed his grape vines and fruit trees and make his dwelling uncomfortable In regard to the injury to the vines and trees, and make his dwelling uncomfortable. In regard to the injury to the vines and trees which is the chief ground of complaint, the plaintiff's case is doubtful on two grounds. In the first place, his testimony as to the injury from the causes stated is counterpoised if not outweighed by the testimony of the defendant both in the number and skilfulness of the witnesses. And in the second place it is rendered more than doubtful by the testimony of the defence that the true cause of the blight in the vines is the nature, and cold and wet condition of the soil.

It's got the libertarian :ancap: trifecta: (1)Restraining pollution would hurt business profits :qq:, (2)Well those people chose to live there so they're voluntarily breathing it; if they don't want to breathe soot they'd move somewhere else so they must benefit overall :wotwot:, (3)Hmmmm can you prove that it was the smoke from this particular factory that killed your crops/damaged your property/gave you cancer, or could it have been anything else in the universe :smugdog:

Got any ideas that haven't failed miserably? Because here are the results of individual citizens trying to sue huge industrial pollutors like US Steel

It's going to be a beautiful day if the smog clears and we can turn out these streetlamps that we still need to keep lit at 9:30 in the morning to see through the heavy black clouds!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 30, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And of course, a brickmaker right next door killing your crops is environmental lawsuit: easy mode. What do you do when a weather phenomenon traps all of the smog in the city like in London 1953 or New York in 1966 and it kills hundreds or thousands of people? Good luck proving specific damages and tracing the path of the specific particles that got in your dead kid's lungs back to the individual factories, automobiles, furnaces, and coal stoves that emitted them! I guess you could do a big class action lawsuit of Everybody v Every-loving-body, but any defendant could argue that since the wind normally takes their auto exhaust or chimney smoke harmlessly out to sea, there's no way to prove that this weather event trapped their specific smoke in the city. And even if you just assume everyone bore some responsibility, how do you measure the amount of pollution each person emitted in the past? Can you prove that John drives his car twice as often as Jim and owes twice the damages? Is Mary in the clear because although she normally burns her coal stove every day, she was on holiday the past month and couldn't have contributed?

Edit: haha nice, spoon0042 already posted an example of US Steel stonewalling with "well you can't prove it was definitely our smokestacks when it could have been those other ones maybe, good luck getting the money together to outlast us in court!"

In reality, of course, except for a few isolated events where these once-common killer smog clouds could be definitely traced to a few factories, there were no lawsuits as a result of general non-point-source smog events because it's impossible to prove damages, so we reacted to this by passing clean air legislation. I don't know, maybe you could work this all out with a court case if you're willing to make a bunch of assumptions to assign generalized responsibility and issue injunctions barring future polluting with exhaust cleanliness requirements and metering of pollution levels or face fines for violating those injunctions regardless of whether damage is proven or not...but now I don't see the difference between that and just passing a law.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even theoretically I don't understand how lawsuits are a remedy against air pollution though. If someone's car or lawn mower exhaust or bbq grill smoke wafts over to my yard, is he aggressing against me or do I have to prove quantifiable damages from the trespass? If I need damages to sue him, then okay life goes on until a freak weather event traps everyone's smoke, exhaust, etc in the city and it kills or sickens thousands upon thousands of people, but now how does a court determine each person's individual contribution in order to assign damages? What about residents who were gone? What about travelers who passed through the city and may have contributed to the cloud?

Or we could go the zero-tolerance route and say any smoke that drifts onto my property is aggression and I'm justified in using retaliatory force to stop it. Sure, we have to give up all industry plus the taming of fire and return to a paleolithic existence, but at least we didn't compromise our principles!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

I'd like to explanation jrodefield's explanation for why Sam Brownback's massive tax cut policies over the past two years have not led to Kansas being a nationwide economic powerhouse.

Taxes are too high, discouraging entrepreneurs and driving businesses out of the state.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Here's a good one about how a new disease was invented in the US by speeding up an assembly line to the detriment of the workers: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/hormel-spam-pig-brains-disease

You know, it's almost as if capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the labourer, unless under compulsion from society.

That's only proof that the workers have different time preferences, because why else would they rationally trade up-front payment today for debilitating illness a decade from now. You're forgetting that the entrepreneur is taking the risk of forgoing today's payday* in the hope that it will pay off in the future with huge profits oh and also a life free of catastrophic nerve damage.

*Or giving himself a giant raise in executive pay in the midst of a strike over pay cuts for the workers, or whatever and whatnot

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

McAlister posted:

Without a state to protect the rights of children how will female children of adherents of various religious orders gain access to education?

What are you talking about, children are property, which is why

Murray Rothbard posted:

we must face the fact that the purely free society will have a flourishing free market in children.
In the libertarian society, then, the mother would have the absolute right to her own body and therefore to perform an abortion; and would have the trustee-ownership of her children, an ownership limited only by the illegality of aggressing against their persons and by their absolute right to run away or to leave home at any time. Parents would be able to sell their trustee-rights in children to anyone who wished to buy them at any mutually agreed price.

However, if your sisters object to the actions of your father trustee and manager, don't worry your sisters assets-in-trust always have another option

Murray Rothbard posted:

But when are we to say that this parental trustee jurisdiction over children shall come to an end? Surely any particular age (21,18, or whatever) can only be completely arbitrary. The clue to the solution of this thorny question lies in the parental property rights in their home. For the child has his full rights of self-ownership when he demonstrates that he has them in nature—in short, when he leaves or “runs away” from home. Regardless of his age, we must grant to every child the absolute right to runaway and to find new foster parents who will voluntarily adopt him, or to try to exist on his own. Parents may try to persuade the runaway child to return, but it is totally impermissible enslavement and an aggression upon his right of self-ownership for them to use force to compel him to return. The absolute right to run away is the child’s ultimate expression of his right of self-ownership, regardless of age.

So there you go, your younger assets-in-trust are deemed capable to make their own education decisions the second they demonstrate self-ownership by running away from home and taking up a lucrative career in begging, prostitution, coal-mining, &c and so forth to put themselves through kindergarten.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

None of that is precluded by a "small" government unless you decide for some reason to define small that way, though.

jrodefeld, against whom the posts these last few pages have been made, is an anarcho-capitalist. He believes the very concept of a State with a monopoly on force is immoral by definition because it usurps without explicit consent the individual's right to use retaliatory force against aggressors. He believes that taxation is theft and therefore the State, simply by collecting the taxes it needs to run a government however "small" is the greatest mass violator of human rights.

If you want to propose some flavor of minarchism and debate that, then propose it and let's do it. But accusing people of strawmanning when they are attacking the actual positions of the only libertarian-leaning poster who has bothered to assert a positive definition of his ideal society is ridiculous.

Rather than quoting post after post aimed at jrodefeld's ideas and blathering about #notalllibertarians, why don't you actually be specific about what ideas you're defending instead of forcing us to guess how you differ from jrod.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

Yes it absolutely is in the self interest of companies (and not just insurance companies) to follow regulatory rules voluntarily if they want to maintain long-term solvency and profitability. The problem is longterm solvency and longterm profitability are not always the goals of companies. We're structured to reward short term and that creates very different incentives (it incentives breaking the rules).

:thejoke:
Come on man, I even cited AIG in that post as an example of good corporate governance and a reason why self regulation can work on the insurance market ;)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Holy poo poo, the level of deliberate obtuseness in this thread is loving staggering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle

"NAP is the foundation of libertarian philosophy."

Right, because every system in practice invariably lives up to its stated ideals! :downs: Enlightened dictatorship is actually the best form of government by the way. It's fundamentally incapable of hurting anyone or failing to achieve perfection in every facet of governance, because if it did it wouldn't be enlightened, duh!

You're just trolling now, right? No one is this dumb.

AlternateAccount posted:

Do you really think the average libertarian is an advocate for children as property?

jrodefeld specifically cited Rothbard as one among the most vastly accomplished libertarian economists by the way, so I don't see what's strawmanny about quoting the guy :confused:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

But things are always more complicated. Take AIG's other insurance divisions. Most of those were run right.

Well yes, but they were regulated too. It was only in the CDS market that Greenspan insisted the government leave it to self-regulation.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Aside from relying on a twisted, obtuse definition of aggression and violence it's still only an abstract principle.

A consistent definition of aggression would be nice. Rothbard teaches us that physically restraining an infant from crawling away is aggression against his self-ownership and enslavement, but this thread also has that oft-repeated Ayn Rand quote where she specifically exempts exterminating the savage races who are too barbarous to know what to do with the land they inhabit from the definition of aggressive force, since you can't forcibly violate a right that a people is too primitive to possess in the first place :911:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

How could you even cast it as aggression? Call it "The act of society not giving me X thing that I need?"

Yes. Are you saying that's an impossible definition?

While climbing, I come across somebody dangling from a rope over a precipice. "Oh I'll haul you up" I say, "but only if you promise me a million dollars in exchange and agree to work off your debt to me if you don't have the cash." With no other option, he agrees. Is this a legitimate contract to you, agreed to voluntarily without any coercion? Do I legitimately own this person now (or, if you believe in the statist concept of bankruptcy courts, am I at least entitled to everything he can't shield in bankruptcy?)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

That would be retaliation not coercion.

Oh then I guess a mugging isn't coercion either. If you hand over your money it was a voluntary decision, and if you don't then getting shot is retaliation, not coercion. Well then.

The way you use words doesn't make any sense. A worker injured in the performance of his duties is entitled to compensation. A policy of discouraging workers from collecting what is legally owed to them by putting economic sanctions on anyone who tries is coercion: the boss is using his position of power to pressure the worker to relinquish his property.

Unless you also don't think it's coercion for a boss to demand blowjobs from his secretary or she gets fired and kicked out of company housing along with her entire famil...oh. Ohhhhhhh, gotcha.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

I'm comfortable with almost any resolution to this stupid hypothetical, to be honest. "No, because JFC you can't legally contract to be a slave", "No, because being in fear for your life and with no other options and with literally no ability to find other options this is actually extortion", or "Sure. Should have used a better safety rig or done some more pullups if you were going to put yourself in this dumb situation." are all ok.

Well there we go then, threatening to fire somebody who already can't pay his medical bills due to your negligence, throwing him out on the street without any way to buy food, wihout any ability to get a job until he heals, and without any source of income save the eventual payoff after a long uncertain lawsuit...unless he agrees to forgo the money that you owe him by right, sure sounds like actual extortion of someone in fear for their life with no other options! Glad to have you aboard, comrade.

wateroverfire posted:

Yes, it's an impossible definition. By that definition if you refuse to give someone X at the rate they demand, if they need X, you're economically coercing them. It's an absurd burden to put on any individual because if we accept that economically coercing people is a thing we ought not to do it puts you on the wrong side of ethics just for refusing to transact.

So is taxation an absurd burden because it puts people on the wrong side of ethics (not to mention prison bars) just for refusing to transact?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Why would it be? That doesn't follow from anything we've been talking about.

Because taxation is an example of a mandatory transaction, which you declared is immoral and absurd. "if we accept that economically coercing people is a thing we ought not to do it puts you on the wrong side of ethics just for refusing to transact" is just one of those conservative phrases that kind of sounds good at first, but the second you really think about we go "hey giving someone an ethical black mark for refusing to transact is something we actually do all the time, and for good reason", so it doesn't make the concept of economic coercion absurd at all. The President of Harvard may not want any blacks at his school, but we not only expect but also require him to transact with black people instead of discriminating against them. It's perfectly legitimate to say "if you want to profit from someone's labor and give them orders, you can't lock them in a deathtrap/give them diseases/pay them starvation wages."

And anyway, no one is forced to hire anyone, you're making that up. If you don't like labor laws you're free to avoid them by not-hiring to your heart's content.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

It's trivially the case that young people, old people, sick people etc may have an economic value approaching zero.

Yeah, but that's why we provide old people with a basic income in the form of social security, and children a basic income in the form of food stamps and subsidized school meals. Obviously these are inadequate and should be expanded, but we clearly already don't rely on infants and seniors earning the minimum wage so this is just a red herring. Obviously also a fully universal basic income would be better than the minimum wage that ties you to a job, but until I get my gumdrop-farting unicorn we're stuck with the minimum wage as the only politically feasible tool to keep workers out of penury.

asdf32 posted:

And there is nothing guaranteeing that the economic value of regular people must be a living wage.

No, but we know that it's greater than $5.15 an hour despite what the usual suspects claimed at the time we raised the minimum wage, because if a cashier or a janitor only brought in $5.15 an hour worth of profits then their positions would vanish at $7.25 an hour and they haven't. Tell you what, when the minimum wage gets so high that every janitor in the country is let go and our stores become a squalid mess, then we'll know we pushed the minimum wage higher than productivity and it's time to scale it back.

Do you object to collective bargaining too, because workers are trying to set the price of their work higher than what they could individually negotiate? For the employer, whether the union goes on strike at this wage or whether the government says "no one may work for you at this wage", either way the employer has the choice to do without workers or to pay more. It's just that strikes are much more vulnerable to underhanded strike-breaking tactics.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 1, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well DEKH, whatever safety standards an individual worker is able to negotiate from the company is just the level of standards that his work is worth, end of story. Starry-eyed progressives think you can just pass a law and make eye protection or fire exits an economical investment in the worker's productivity but that's obviously nonsense because if workers brought in enough revenue to cover the cost of a fire escape, the free market would have already provided. You can't make them affordable by government fiat. :ancap:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Isn't there some Mises or Hayes quote about how anyone who doesn't subscribe to Libertarian virtues should be enslaved?

Hoppe is the one who believes both liberal democrats and communists are so inimical to a free society that their very existence is a threat and they're to be enslaved, imprisoned,or killed, in that order depending on the amount of retaliatory force it takes to render them harmless.

This is one of Hoppe's comparatively Good Opinions, because unlike his raging white supremacism, at least believing in democracy is a choice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

And yes, it may have a small inflationary effect that will be drastically outweighed by the increase in wages to the poorest in society, who will then have more money to spend in a fashion that will be economically beneficial to everyone.

Wait wait, where does an inflationary effect come from? It can't be from raising prices to cover the costs, because I thought prices were set at the intersection of supply and demand such that if manufacturers raised prices, the loss in sales would outweight the increased profit margin on each item and profits would fall (likewise lowering prices below market price would not cause a big enough rise in volume to make up for the price decreease). If a manufacturer could raise its prices and still see increased profits despite a drop in sales, it would already be doing that now even without a minimum wage hike. The company would have to take the cost from profits, and only if the extra costs made weaker competitors insolvent could the company finally raise prices in response to the supply constriction of its competitors going out of business.

Is the inflation supposed to come from increased demand? How? No new money was created, so the only way it could increase demand is by bringing money into the economy that was previously not circulating (stashed away in the Cayman Islands, perhaps, instead of paid back to the workers). Okay, that makes sense, but we're in a recession. Increasing demand is a good thing, we've got oodles of unused production capacity that would be brought on line, increasing the supply of goods and heading off inflation. Yeah after we're in full boom again we might start to see it adding to inflation, but as you note this is an unambiguous good because it will be outweighed by the increase in wages and putting formerly idle money to work was good anyway.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Most interesting fact I learned today:
The arrival of the American Expeditionary Force in Europe in April 1918 was an event of such momentous power that its effects actually rippled back in time and incited the Soviet takeover of the Russian government in Petrograd November 1917. :eng101:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 2, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

Reposting this from a few days ago because the minimum wage is a much more interesting topic than DRO's since the latter is really, really difficult to discuss in any meaningful way since it does not can will not ever exist in reality. I also just really want an answer.

What are you talking about? We have, right now, an example of a fully functional DRO formed voluntarily by people defending their homes from State tyranny and it is whipping a decadent parliamentary regime in the field.

ISIS-DRO has done such a masterful job at stopping parliamentary aggression that it's cornered the market on protection services and driven the market share of its less effective competitors in the region to near zero, and it is so popular that whenever its representatives come around villages with invoices, they are promptly paid.

Its success is so great that Obama's evil statist regime has actually declared war upon it, even though that's completely unnecessary because applying logical deduction from fundamental principles, it's clear that ISIS-DRO is engaging in some unprofitable and irrational practices like beheading women for not wearing enough clothes or destroying villages for following the wrong religion. These inefficient expenditures will render it less competitive in the market thus it will inevitably be overtaken by a more rational competitor without Obama having to do any bombings at all. After all, the last thing a fundamentalist Muslim wants to see is the group he is supporting go around forcing women to wear scarves.

There is the somewhat odd result that their seizing of oilfields and selling the oil is somehow bringing in money, when we know that violence is always unprofitable, but this is probably just mistaken media reporting since we can reason from first principles that it is impossible to grow rich through plunder.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 2, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

2) Does he think that the Gilded Age was in fact an extremely pleasant and wonderful time for those in poverty, and that he thinks all the negative stuff you hear about it is cause of evil liberal history professors?

I posted earlier asking him about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory disaster, and he replied with the usual boilerplate about how it was the lack of development that was responsible for bad working conditions, because it just wasn't possible to run an industrial economy with modern safety standards.

As usual, he refused to answer any questions about how not-chaining-the-doors-shut would have destroyed the textile manufacturing industry, but luckily for us all, the economy just happened to develop to the exact point necessary to make basic fire safety affordable for businesses at the exact second that starry-eyed progressives signed the law making it mandatory. And a good thing too, if they'd signed that legislation just a month earlier, every industrial concern in the country would have gone bankrupt at once due to the staggering costs of cleaning up scrap fabrics that had piled up everywhere and not locking the doors.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You're arguing that costs don't factor into prices? You're making a glaring mistake.

Where a particular business can set it's prices is determined by its cost structure and its competitors cost structure. If costs go up for everyone then everyone can raise and will raise prices. That's how costs work.

If costs were detached from pricing the economy wouldn't work. At all.

You're the one quoting econ-101 supply and demand curves to claim that what an unskilled worker accepts in pay is what his labor is worth and that there's no way the threat of imminent starvation for his entire family could possibly have any effect on negotiations whatsoever. So please, explain this glaring mistake without abandoning the premise that supply and demand set prices, end of story.

Because according to econ101, a business can't raise prices in response to fixed costs. For a fast food restaurant for example, sweeping the floor, manning the registers, cooking the food, all that takes a certain amount of time and people have to be paid to do it. If the costs of those things doubled tomorrow, McDonald's can't make up that money by raising their prices, because that would mean raising their prices increases their gross revenue and if that's the case they'd have done it already. The only way that works is if they raise them so much that demand starts dropping off enough for them to be able to cut staff (decreasing their marginal costs). If increasing Big Mac prices by a quarter doesn't actually reduce the lunch rush enough for me to schedule fewer cooks, then McDonald's can't increase profits by raising them.

If I'm making widgets for $9 and selling them for $10 and the price of materials goes up so now widgets cost $11 to make, then yes I can raise prices to $12 because it's better to sell a smaller number of widgets at a $1 profit than a greater number at a $1 loss (but I'll still be making less profit than before the price increase). But if my fixed costs go up because my rent increases, or the government makes me buy a fire suppression system, or the wage of my security guard doubles, I can't pass that cost on in higher prices because prices are already set for maximum profit at the marginal cost of production. For any worker whose pay is a fixed cost, you can't raise prices. You have to cut production and cut back on staff to make it possible to realize greater profit from increased prices.

"But VitalSigns", you say, "the world is more complicated than econ101, people aren't perfectly rational, etc" Yeah, you're drat right it is. Funny how econ101 is good enough for you when it's justifying loving over the poor, but you abandon it when its simplistic predictions are inconvenient for your ideology.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You're right that prices are what they are because if they were higher demand would go down. But if the cost structure changes accepting that lower demand may very well be the most profitable option.

Not if the drop in demand doesn't reduce costs. A drop in demand doesn't change the amount of time it takes to drive a floor waxer around Wal-Mart. A drop in demand doesn't change the number of nighttime hours during which I pay the night watchman. Labor isn't infinitely divisible like other commodities: if I raise my prices and the lunch rush drops off 10%, that doesn't mean I can drop from 3 cooks to 2. And even for those workers I can cut, that makes the fixed costs a larger percentage of my expenses; there may not be a solution in which lowered demand can let me save enough costs for the price increase to actually make me more profitable. Eating the cost in reduced profits may be the most profitable option.

asdf32 posted:

Prices have to be set at an amount that leaves a profit after paying all of these things.

So if the price for a certain good wasn't covering the costs in fuel, maintenance, machinery, rent, and everything else yet millions and millions of these businesses continued to operate at a loss for years or even centuries, would you say that something in the market for this particular good is broken, and that it's failing in some way not predicted by your model? That maybe the market for this product operates in a fundamentally different way than much easier to understand markets for things like dolls and chocolate bars?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It seems like we're going in circles between people who believe that the mafia existed; that the KKK was perfectly happy to entirely self-fund bigotry suppression, and lynching; and that it is in fact profitable for ISIS to collect dues by extortion and sieze valuable assets like oil fields; and the people who know that all of those organizations are made-up by statist kindergarten indoctrinators, but I want to bring up a new subject.

jrodefeld, in your second post, you said:

jrodefeld posted:

This will all get sorted out in short order during a transition to a free economy. The State protections and privileges including the entity called the limited liability "corporation" will fall to the side and these businessmen will no longer have a shield to protect them from liability for their actions.

But you also say we'd have a system of polylaw where competing courts use different bodies of law in order to win market share from petitioners. So why wouldn't courts and DROs that recognize the limited liability corporate form exist? As the CEO of Wal-Mart, it's obviously beneficial for me if courts ruled that I wasn't personally liable for debts or judgments beyond my investment in the company, and the same is true for shareholders. There would undoubtedly be DROs and courts that would recognize this huge market of big business that wants corporate protections. Now you might say "well it's not in that CEOs self-interest if other corporations were protected too" but it undoubtedly is (which is why corporations insist on those protections today from the state). As Wal-Mart CEO, the odds that I'll be the victim of a tort that exceeds the value of another big company is vanishingly small and even if I were I'd have the resources to deal with it. But the chance that a customer, or employee, or just someone else will be a victim of a tort by my company or that I might make contracts (say pension obligations) that the company can't pay out when they're due, is actually conceivable. It'd be well worth it to shield my house and other assets from collection if my company's pension fund defaults. So it's clear there'd be a market for it.

You might say "consumers, workers, and creditors would never accept such an arrangement" but they do now. Employers and consumers commonly give up even more rights than this by agreeing to binding arbitration even though they'd be better off with recourse to a state justice system. Wal-Mart's creditors could require the Waltons to personally co-sign Wal-Mart's instruments if they wanted, but they don't. So why wouldn't this happen in Libertaria?

Okay, so Freedom Industries spills a metric fuckton (1.1 standard fucktons) of chemicals into the Elk River, doing hundreds and hundreds of times the company's assets in damage to the environment. A class action lawsuit is filed with their DRO (Wal-DRO, the same one used by most corporations), but the company has already moved its assets into a shell holding and it actually owns nothing, and the CEO isn't personally liable for the company's damages. The plaintiffs claim it's bullshit, but the DRO is only willing to agree on a court that will recognize limited liability. So now what? Either the plaintiffs' DRO already had a preexisting agreement with Wal-DRO to use those courts and the judge follows corporate law and refuses to seize any assets beyond what Freedom Industries currently owns; or they don't have an agreement. So now the plaintiff's DRO has a choice: agree to one of Wal-DRO's acceptable venues that follows corporate law, or get its own judgment and go to war with Wal-DRO to seize the assets (Wal-DRO will fully back Freedom Industries' CEO's right to use force to defend his property from the aggression of those who don't recognize his right to form voluntary corporate associations with separate assets from his own). We have already logically deduced that war is unprofitable even if you win, and it's disastrous if you lose (as they probably will since Wal-DRO is favored by the top 10% of society and is well-funded and equipped). On the other hand, you could just capitulate to Wal-DRO's law, which might piss off your customers, but are they really going to drop you as their DRO when going without a DRO is a death sentence in Libertaria? It's not like they'll be able to find another DRO capable and willing to make and win a war against Wal-DRO anyway...and even if they do drop you, losing their membership fees is far cheaper than losing a war.

So yeah, why would competing systems of law lead to the abolishment of limited liability corporations when the rich have an obvious desire for them, and even with a State monopoly on justice today, they still have the power to require customers and employees to agree to give up their recourse to State courts and go to binding arbitration instead?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 3, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Reverend Catharsis posted:

Honestly, VitalSigns? I wouldn't even bother with the long explanation post.

Yeah but I'm genuinely curious why he thinks competing systems of law won't heavily favor those that benefit the rich. Sorry my post was long, but if I just asked that simple question, I'd get back "ah but in a free market, a rational person wouldn't agree to use those courts, so they wouldn't QED", but since a rational corporation would obviously only want to use those courts I felt like I needed really drill down into whether my DRO would really risk a war for me when it would be obviously unprofitable, so not only would I be unable to find another DRO willing to do it, but even by insisting I risk getting my coverage revoked (which is an instant death sentence).

Actually, there's another question. How do I sue my DRO if I believe it hasn't lived up to its end of the bargain? It's obviously not going to represent me, and is another DRO really going to be eager to sign on a customer that's already shown himself to be difficult and a liability risk? And even if they would, could I get reasonable rates now that I have a "pre-existing condition" (ie, a well-funded private army that wants to head off future betrayals by its customers by "making an example" of me?)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just say he has WMDs so we have to seize his assets to keep him from making more mustard gas.

Nobody requires proof of any of that poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You know, what with the historical evidence being so overwhelming as to leave one paralyzed choosing where to even begin.

Even if history weren't a vast and ancient conspiracy by statists to deny revealed truths, it still wouldn't matter because

jrodefeld posted:

I don't have a comprehensive and exhaustive enough understanding of each and every war of aggression that States have engaged in to make such a sweeping statement.

However my larger point is still valid.

No amount of evidence can contradict the truths that the Glory of Glories hath revealèd unto us, PBUH.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Did you guys see last month's jobs numbers? Almost 250k. How is such a thing possible with ObaMAO's high taxes and regulations?

Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy spotted.

Obviously, theory tells us that if Obama had abolished taxes, ended social security, and deregulated everything the economy would have rebounded even faster. The sluggish recovery we're seeing is happening in spite of Obama.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Valhalla DRO is cool and all, but I could see like, black trans

You can just stop right there. Non-traditional gender or skin color is all by itself an aggression against a Hoppean Libertarian covenant community, and the local Ko-operative Kovenant Kommunity DRO already has the right to use retaliatory force to enslave or kill this thing in self-defense just for showing its face, before it ever took a single dollar from a rich man.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Does driving down property values constitute an initiation of force?

Ha, what am I thinking, of course it does, so the Ko-Operative Kovenant Kommunity DRO is not only morally justified in what they are doing, but are justified in doing it preemptively.

Yes, if it violates the community's covenant or HOA

Hans Hermann Hoppe, My Battle With the Thought Police posted:

In my book Democracy, The God That Failed I not only defend the right to discrimination as implied in the right to private property, but I also emphasize the necessity of discrimination in maintaining a free society and explain its importance as a civilizing factor. In particular, the book also contains a few sentences about the importance, under clearly stated circumstances, of discriminating against communists, democrats, and habitual advocates of alternative, non-family centered lifestyles, including homosexuals.

For instance, on p. 218, I wrote “in a covenant concluded among proprietors and community tenants for the purpose of protecting their private property, …no one is permitted to advocate ideas contrary to the very purpose of the covenant … such as democracy and communism.” “Likewise, in a covenant founded for the purpose of protecting family and kin, there can be no tolerance toward those habitually promoting lifestyles incompatible with this goal. … (violators) will have to be physically removed from society.”

In its proper context these statements are hardly more offensive than saying that the Catholic Church should excommunicate those violating its fundamental precepts or that a nudist colony should expel those insisting on wearing bathing suits. However, if you take the statements out of context and omit the condition: in a covenant… then they appear to advocate a rights violation.

Murray Rothbard, The New 'Fusionism': A Movement for Our Time posted:

In a country, or a world, of totally private property, including streets, and private contractual neighborhoods consisting of property-owners, these owners can make any sort of neighborhood-contracts they wish. In practice, then, the country would be a truly “gorgeous mosaic,” … ranging from rowdy Greenwich Village-type contractual neighborhoods, to socially conservative homogeneous WASP neighborhoods. Remember that all deeds and covenants would once again be totally legal and enforceable, with no meddling government restrictions upon them.

Murray Rothbard, Nations By Consent, Decomposing the Nation-State posted:

With every locale and neighborhood owned by private firms, corporations, or contractual communities, true diversity would reign, in accordance with the preferences of each community. Some neighborhoods would be ethnically or economically diverse, while others would be ethnically or economically homogeneous. Some localities would permit pornography or prostitution or drugs or abortion, others would prohibit any or all of them. The prohibitions would not be state imposed, but would simply be requirements for residence or use of some person’s or community’s land area.

Selling your home to a negro or a fruit is an initation of force against the Co-operative Covenant Community! As is inviting them to dinner, treating them in your hospital, or even letting them use your road after sundown. And before sundown. And during sundown.

Of course, democrats are against diversity and want to force us all to conform to the same model of execrable multiculturalism instead of letting the land be a gorgeous mosaic where each volk reaches their volkseie through the constructive process of aparte ontwikkeling which of course can only occur under a free apartheid system.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 3, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Keep in mind that the "Christians" living there are unmanly, perfumed, Greek-speaking schismatics, at least as untrustworthy as any infidel, so you'd be compromising your self-defense if you were discriminate in your butchery of the population of Jerusalem.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Socialism: an idea that has always only had the support of middle class Americans

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You didn't answer my question, jrodefeld, that was just a repetition of "well on the free market no one would do business with a company that required them to give up their right to legal recourse", but I already pre-provided an example of people doing just that today with binding arbitration, which demonstrably favors the corporations who pay the bills (because an arbitrator with a reputation for losing too much money for the corporation employing it would lose business). Why would removing even the shallow state protections against that kind of exploitation improve the situation.

It would obviously be in the best interests of the top 10% (who own more than 50% of the wealth in America) to select DROs that recognize limited liability corporations. The only way for Everyman DRO to enforce full liability on the owners and shareholders would be to go to war with them, and according to you war is unprofitable if you win and disastrous if you lose (as Everyman DRO would, since even if it was the #1 DRO among the bottom 40% of people, that's less than 2% of the wealth in this country that they can access). Why would any DRO go to war with the LLC-recognizing DRO's (and as you've noted the LLC's would all band together against an aggressor who did not recognize the rights of corporate persons)? They wouldn't, and they wouldn't need to since going without a DRO is a death sentence, the poor has to choose some DRO so why not compete in other areas because you already know they'll never be able to find a competitor who will fight against LLC's and even if they did, the LLC's would crush that foolish company.

You keep saying "no one would do business with a company that favored the wealthy" but the wealthy sure as gently caress would, and since they command most of the wealth, a perfectly free market is obviously going to favor them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Here's a report about binding arbitration. Note specifically that arbitration agreements almost always bar consumers or employees from joining class action lawsuits against the company (oops, there goes Libertopia's one recourse against externalities), that arbitrators are chosen by the companies with consumers having no say and arbitrators are paid up to $10,000/hr, and that the most popular arbitration services rule in the company's favor 95% of the time.

And these are deals that people "voluntarily" agree to today because all (for example) credit card companies require them so it's either agree or go without credit, and you're telling me that in Libertopia people will refuse to contract with DROs over these issues when it's either agree or be instantly banned from operating in society and subject to violent crime?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Even if everything JRod posted worked out like he thinks it would (hint: it wouldn't), what happens when I'm trying to sue a company for dumping toxic waste onto my lawn? My DRO finds them guilty, theirs finds them innocent, and they refuse to pick an arbitrator that would find their client guilty. So, what now? We just sit around never being able to settle on an arbitrator, the company wins by default since the lawsuit never goes anywhere unless it goes to an arbitrator that finds them innocent anyway.

Your DRO decides for itself how much it's going to pay you in damages for failing to enforce its judgment and then cancels you for being a difficult customer and exposing them to the liability of a possible war with Freedom Industries' DRO. No other DRO will cover the "pre-existing condition" of your dispute with your former DRO or Freedom Industries, and you find that even without it, your former DRO has branded you a bad customer and you can't get coverage at any price you could afford. The Kovenant Kommunity shows up to evict you that afternoon for not retaining DRO coverage in accordance with your HOA and exposing the community to risk. You either die of exposure or join up with Crips DRO.

All other customers of your former DRO read about your story and decide they're better off eating the damage of toxic waste on their lawn and other depredations of the rich rather than lose their DRO's coverage against criminals too poor to challenge the DRO, not to mention the risk of getting banned from polite society for pissing off their DRO. And thus your former DRO was saved from having to pay out millions in claims with their only recourse being a war with the DROs retained by the top 10%, praise Rothbard :911:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like that he proceeds to consistently ignore evidence that consumers and employees "voluntarily" agree to private arbitration that is overwhelmingly biased in favor of the rich, considering it sufficient to say "that thing that happens all the time could never really happen" and leave it at that.

Hey VitalSigns, gently caress off with that evidence poo poo, I already logically know that no one would ever agree to biased arbitration, therefore it's not real so on to the next subject please.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 5, 2014