Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm pretty sure that chart reads more like, "The more basic a need, the more likely we are to get gouged the gently caress to death over it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Public schools are taking some cues from this, too. Probably always have been, but it's been really notable at one a family member works at lately, where they're struggling to even get enough substitute teachers in for what they pay, yet can keep making new administrative positions.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I think it's largely true that the U.S. getting gouged on medicine prices subsidizes medical research for everyone else to a degree, but it's a really lovely, inefficient, and slow way of doing that. If the U.S. wants to subsidize worldwide medical research by pushing the boundaries for its own citizens, the government could do that with research programs. Those wouldn't need to come with perverse incentives and the glacial trickle out of IP medicine.

The government pretty much does do that. A lot, and I mean a lot, of actual medical research is heavily funded by the US government, including grants to university researchers, but then rights of ownership and all profits get privatized.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Is Rocky Road an acceptable alternative? Or do libertarians have a hangup with roads lol I forget.

It's the only roads they'll actually get anywhere, anyway.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

SpeedFreek posted:

Because Aramark or Sysco gets the contract and provides next to garbage quality food that does taste like crap. I've said it before, one of the biggest reasons kids don't like healthier foods is the ingredients are crap. Tomatoes that taste like water are easier to grow and cheaper than good ones for example.

Having family who works in a school kitchen, I can back this up as absolutely loving true. The places that get the bids are always incredibly indifferent to providing actual quality materials because they know all they have to do is make the cheapest bid and technically fulfill it. Mishandled food, stuff that comes basically a day away from openly rotting. It's so hard to trust anything will last if it didn't come processed. And they have to do this for hundreds of kids, while almost always understaffed. School kitchen staff are goddamn miracle workers who get literally, literally zero appreciation and almost as little budget. The best quality food they get tends to come from government programs rather than the loving free market.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Hell, it was a joke in World War Z. (The book version, specifically. Haven't bothered with anything else.) There was some early story in it about rich celebrities pulling a Masque of the Red Death and holing up away from the world while the zombies spread, and while they weren't named it was really obviously Maher and Coulter mentioned in there as really just needing to shut up and gently caress already because people were getting sick of their screen personas at this little party.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PT6A posted:

How can it be both mental illness, and a thing that only exists due to external influences, in their mind?

Or do they also think you can be talked into having mental illness???

Pretty much. Some of them have found the phrase "social contagion" and are using it now, but pretty much the same way they described The Gays "recruiting" kids.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

or why they feel the need to defend them.

You know why.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'll cop to it being a low-effort post in a board that I didn't remember in the moment as being more strict about that. (I'm kind of bad at checking the board when replying to a thread, whoops.) It's already done and gone, oh well, no fuss.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Disposablewords was just saying that they are obviously fond of the Neo Nazis and can't resist defending them.

But yeah this is where I was going in a dry joshing sort of way, nothing bad meant and no hard feelings I hope.

Anyway, re: actual subject, I don't find it that complicated. Libertarianism, what little isn't just off-brand GOP, has long loved conspiracism and alarmism over lots of stupid bullshit, not infrequently involving race. The conspiracism has become much more right-wing mainstream but it's still a libertarian specialty along with the rest of their magical thinking. RHL is also blatantly a goddamn liar who happily betrays her professed beliefs at the drop of a hat, you can see that even in the small handful of tweets shared here. Assuming she's not just a blithering idiot lucky enough to stand out from the rest of her blithering idiot cohort on Twitter, then she's still a FYGM attention-seeker who probably has enough savvy to realize that you don't stand out by parroting the party line. Go even further, play to that conspiracism that comes so naturally to her, dangle some red meat, enjoy the attention.

That her particular claims also try to deflect things away from Nazism isn't really a surprise to me either. Racism is many a conspiracy theorist's stock in trade, especially anti-Semitism. It was all over their recent-ish little saint Ron Paul, who certainly didn't seem to have any problems with Nazis. They've been fellow travelers in US politics for rather a while now.

I genuinely wonder if, given the pervasiveness of the past few decades that "left-wing = big government, right-wing = small government" that people have just somehow forgotten that the Nazis were all in favor of having an oppressive, controlling Big Government. Which helps funnel in anyone who starts off genuinely believing what they say they believe in. More likely, of course, my brain's just off on a nonsense tangent when pondering that, and it's just that they're full of crap and happy to have an oppressive state that they think will let them stomp on everything they find icky. They just feel compelled to take some extra steps when dressing it up to make themselves feel more special about it. Blithering idiots and blatant liars, after all.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

What, is there a lack of pedo poo poo from Hunter Biden, and that's why he's not the perfect libertarian? Like invoking that is not the easy smug win they think it is, given who they voluntarily put themselves in association with.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

This is a real lovely comparison to use but it's completely in line with the general libertarian claim that merely paying a reasonable price for a product or service for the social good is the exact same as enslaving the providers of those products and services. I mean, that's not exactly how they'd phrase it, they normally phrase it in a way that's harder for people to contest easily while they prepare the next canter in their Gish gallop, but the point is... present. Much more naked than usual, but present.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

TheMuffinMan posted:

so you need more than a roof, a bed, a fridge, a bathroom, a computer, a smartphone, and a car?

A whole list of necessities and one luxury - a computer, which if you are work-from-home becomes a necessity as well. Yeah, that sure is great comfort and not running at a lot of people's absolute minimum required in modern society to stay sheltered, presentable, perpetually in contact, and able to reach the job that lets you keep running at the minimum.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cali's minimum wage is $15.50 and most places are well lower than that. Federal is $7.25 and plenty of states run with that. Your anecdote is not country-wide reality.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ahahahaha they think every job gets full time! Including the ones riding hardest on minimum wage as much as possible! Oh, that's precious!

"I can do it, why can't you" isn't a proof, it's a bland assertion with nothing to back it up. Large numbers of other people are expressing serious economic problems, but you solve it all by, uh... being a solo person living minimally off of their own income with zero dependents or health issues? Yeah, no, it just means you aren't bringing anything remotely connected to reality to the table.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I said dependent, not partner. Also, getting medical doesn't support your point better. It supports everyone else's. You're getting a major expense knocked off that, again, large swathes of the country are facing, in exchange for taxes that are actually a lot cheaper than having to pay your own medical bills or an insurance company. Like, wow, you're just proudly proclaiming that your easy-mode settings are what make you more financially savvy and thrifty.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, true. Sorry for getting drawn in on it. gently caress's sake, I need an anger outlet other than stupid assholes online. Anyway.

The UBI/AI future discussion reminds me of a dude back in college who was all in on the idea of transhumanism via genetic enhancement. He was certain that nobody would or could keep it relatively contained. That even if such enhancement was possible there wouldn't be some super-rich enhanced overclass because it would breed out into the general population. Which. Okay, he wasn't stupid, per se, but he was definitely an idealist of the "reads techno-utopian blogs" sort more than someone aware of, like... the rich. And what fuckers they demonstrably are. Or even the more practical matter of how long it'd take for genetic enhancements to spread via reproduction from an elite cohort to the world, and how that kind of opportunity could be used against people. It's just another kind of technology that wouldn't fix this, or if it did it'd be at a rate even your standard Concerned Centrist would think was a mite slow.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If you want intelligent dolphins in SF, then there's also David Brin's Uplift series. Humans have uplifted both dolphins and chimps to sapience, and then discover galactic society where this is the norm - to the point that humanity's claims of evolution through natural selection are seen as wildly aberrant and cause political problems because humans have no parent/sponsor species but do have clients. As I recall, the second book in particular features uplifted dolphins heavily as characters.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

As they say, weird hill to die on but at least they'll be dead.

Nah, this person's gonna be just like all other libertarian luminaries and run screaming for the state to save them when something bad happens, just like with Oceangate earlier this year.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Genuinely, seriously waiting for the news a month down the line about how Argentina is on fire because it turns out he slashed every safety standard and emergency service or something like that. Which these same people will quietly ignore, or call it a boom for the privatized fire department industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

hooman posted:

Whoever wrote that bill has no understanding or, nor respect for, the unholy piles of meat and muscle that are red kangaroos.

Those fuckers weigh 80 kilos, go at 40mph and plough straight through fences, animals and any sense you ever had of a loving god. They've got really strong legs and will lean back on their tails and rip your guts out with their foot claws. They'll jump straight out in front of your car, crumple your front end, crush your radiator, and then just stand up and hop off. Do not gently caress with red kangaroos.

Grey kangaroos are cool though.

Great, just what we need in the northeast US - Even Worse Deer.

Then again, it'd be pretty great to get a kangaroo loving up the guy up the road who baits deer to shoot.