Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BrandorKP posted:

Ah kingship, I wonder how they feel about the implied divinity of kings. I'd imagine it never occurs to them.

While I don't think she identifies as libertarian per se, "dark enlightenment" lunatic (redundant, I know) Justine Tunney has, among other things, praised the aristocracies of the past as being naturally superior ("having better code" to use her specific form of wank) and therefore naturally the US should be run by Silicon Valley autocrats generally and her boss Google CEO Eric Schmidt in particular.

DeusExMachinima posted:

what's praxelogy

Short answer: It's bullshit, that's what it is.
Longer answer: It's methodolody libertarians made up to get around the problem that their theories lead to poo poo whenever applied in the real world. Among other things, as Who What Now notes, it claims that drawing logical conclusions from a priori assumptions is the best way to model human behavior, and that when empirical evidence contradicts theory, that evidence should be ignored.

Draw as many conclusions are you wish from how Jrod constantly has asserted he's only concerned with internally-consistent logical arguments, and dismisses historical analysis as a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Oh, I don't think it should be illegal, I just saying that it's so monumentally stupid that I don't understand why anyone would do it.

Something being monumentally and transparently stupid has rarely, if ever, impeded greedy idiots from trying to get rich quick. See also, any/all threads about bitcoins and other crypto-"currencies."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sephyr posted:

I think China Mieville wrote an article some years ago (on floating libertarian cities?) that described libertarians as the losers of capitalism. Big-time industrialists and entrepreneurs are quite comfortable with having a government to influence that can open markets for them, make sea lanes safe, regulate demand and infrastructure...not to mention that when push comes to shove, it's a lot easier to bribe a single authority than a bunch of smaller warlords/kings/militias/microstates. They'll piss and moan about how much they have to pay to get their benefits, but the Waltons would likely poo poo their pants collectively if the Interstate highway system that makes their whole chain of supply possible was discontinued...or owned by a private rival.

You remember correctly. Among other damning and memorable passages, he describes the libertarian utopia as "an Orange County of the soul."

quote:

None of this is surprising. Libertarianism is not a ruling-class theory. It may be indulged, certainly, for the useful ideas it can throw up, and its prophets have at times influenced dominant ideologies–witness the cack-handed depredations of the “Chicago Boys” in Chile after Allende’s bloody overthrow. But untempered by the realpolitik of Reaganism and Thatcherism, the anti-statism of “pure” libertarianism is worse than useless to the ruling class.

Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

So in this metaphor if I'm America and Brandor is Iran, who represents the Kurds and ISIS?

I'm the EU, in that I too find common cause with Brandon uncomfortable and limit my involvement in the larger matter to occasional, feckless sniping.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

archangelwar posted:

How exactly does one have a productive debate against praxeology?

Demonstrating logical inconsistencies and contradictions, I'd suspect. Or, if you'd rather get to the crux of things quicker, just punching them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Whatever it is that Ted Cruz jerks off to in private, I doubt it is something that the average human being could learn of and remain sane.

It's got to be a photo of himself, let's be serious here.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stop posting articles at us and argues something.

Anything really.

I assume you already know this but just in case: Jrod isn't here to argue; he's here to proselytize.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Jrod, what beer should I drink this weekend? I like lagers and ales with lots of hoppes.

I think HHH would approve of IPA, both due to the name connection and also for what the P stands for.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Perfidia posted:

This "mix my labour with [thing]" phrase is so goddamn weird it creeps me out every single time. Where does it come from and what cult invented it? They have broken the NAP inscribed on my heart and must pay.

I doubt she invented it, but it was a large part of Ayn Rand's justification for why brutally stealing land from the Native Americans was not only necessary, but also moral and correct.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

Is Jrode one of those people who doesn't think that the New Deal got us out of the Depression, but WWII did? Or does he not even go that far?

He posts such staggeringly dull walls of text I don't blame you for missing it, but he did claim last page (I think) that it's a given that economic interventions in the 30s failed at best and made things worse at worst, and that conventional history agrees with him on that. It was only one, out of many, things he is entirely wrong about.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

paragon1 posted:

So let's say I have undeniable, indisputable proof that AgriChemicals LLC factory waste has killed all of my immediate family, my livestock, sterilized my land, and rendered all water in my land undrinkable. Who is going to hear my lawsuit against AgriChemicals LLC in Libertopia? And how will they compel AgriChemicals LLC (who may be chartered in another country entirely) to pay without violating the NAP?

Or am I justified in signing on with/hiring Valhalla DRO?

I think you already know the answer. :black101:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

This is another reason why that study is so bogus. I don't know a single libertarian who voted for Romney. Not a single one. In the circles I travel in, the very concept of voting for Romney was so repugnant that it was never even seriously considered.

Oh, well if you don't know of a single libertarian who voted for Romney then that changes everything now doesn't it, what with you being king poo poo of Libertarian mountain, right?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DrProsek posted:

Um, did you ever consider that without regulation, healthcare would get so cheap grannie could have afforded it? For the purpose of my question, please ignore all evidence of universal healthcare providing healthcare for all in almost every other nation on Earth, but do pay attention to the 1960s in the USA where healthcare was really cheap (assuming you only need treatment that was available in 1960)!

Heh, look at you, empirically deriving useful data from past experiences and applying it to future events. Don't you know we don't need that bothersome drivel so long as we can logically conclude certain irrefutable things from first points such as *prolonged, squeaky faaaaaart*.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Let's continue to buy accounts for increasingly high-profile ancaps and humiliate them.

While I concur that we should continue to humiliate AnCaps and other strains of libertarians, the market should decide whether or not they have accounts.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

B-but the most doctrinaire ancaps tend to be the poorest ones.

Korner Kelly: "Priced Out."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

How would universal healthcare work in libertopia? Clearly there would be no government run programs like medicare and medicaid, and there would be no regulation, and thus nothing to artificially alter prices on the private market. Because the health insurance market is now unfettered, prices for insurance plummet so that even though there's nothing like a mandate to buy health insurance, presumably everyone will buy health insurance because it's so cheap.

Did I get that right? If so, what's the explanation for the tens of millions of people (if not more) who didn't have health insurance before LBJ ruined everything with medicare/medicaid?

Often they also include something about medicines being much less expensive and/or obtainable without having to get a prescription as forced by evil Statist drug regulations/medical licensing requirements.

As to why this didn't happen pre-LBJ, I think you know the answer: The State. It's always the State that made the bad things happen. It's only the State that makes bad things happen.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

The Soviet System produced bread lines due to a lack of market delivery of food, while the market permits grocery stores full of food. There are still some hungry people, but far fewer due to the market.

This is the opposite of reality, you doofus. Russian food intake dropped dramatically following the Big Splat and introduction of a market economy, and even by the turn of the millennium they still lagged behind what they'd been at the formal disillusion of the USSR in 1992. Part of why things were even starting to get back to the baseline they'd been at was, in addition, because of several substantial foreign aid packages from Western governments, not natural market improvements.

Shocking, I know, to hear Jrod has once again shot his mouth off about things he doesn't understand.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 9, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

[Citation loving Needed]. I'm going to go into why DiLorenzo was an idiot, but to suggest that Lincoln was this huge racist who was going to support deporting africans etc etc is absurd. The irony of you playing the race card while supporting people like HHH, Murray Rothbard and even DiLorenzo is insane to me.

He's probably going to bring up Lincoln's earlier flirtation with the American Colonization Society, which almost everyone with any abolitionist sentiment did prior to the war to one degree or another, as rock-solid proof that Lincoln was really a white nationalist who wanted them all gone. You know, among the other oceans of poo poo Jrod has gotten and, I predict, will get wrong about the War of the Rebellion. :sherman:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

This confederate apologism is fun and all, but to go off topic real quick, a couple of pages ago we were talking about how Keynesianism failed in the 70s. Can someone elaborate on this? The problems that happened in the 70s I thought was mainly due to the oil embargo by OPEC and the fed jacking up interest rates by the end of the decade.

Via the Austrian perspective, Keynsian economics cannot succeed, therefore it didn't.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Perfidia posted:

Ever wonder why you never see Eripsa and jrodefeld posting at the same time? :aaaaa:

(I really wish they'd debate each other some time, just to see the enormous wall-to-wall posts of them being ever-correct. I feel this has enormous prospects in the field of intellectual cross-pollination.)

In the last iteration of this thread, they actually both did start to get into things and oh, how the word salad started to fly. It could have been glorious, but Jrod ducked out after only a brief exchange as I remember it. A pity, I had such high hopes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
19th Century benevolent societies: a cutting-edge idea who's time has come!

No seriously, he's previously suggested mutual-aid societies like impoverished urban minorities used to create to keep from starving all the way to death are capable of entirely filling the gap that would be left by restraining the violent hand of State social programs. It's almost as if he doesn't understand history at all!

EDIT: Someone post that Chuck Asay cartoon about feeding bears/the poor.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

No we ARE talking about the legal right. If I say that the Boy Scouts have the right to not hire a gay scoutmaster, what I am saying is that it is not morally defensible to use force against them to deny their right to freedom of association.

I personally oppose exclusion based purely on race, religion or sexual orientation. I find such bigotry to be reprehensible and I would not do business with anyone who is a known bigot. I would use my freedom of association to disassociate with people who use their freedom of association to express their bigotry.

It may come as a surprise to you, but forcing people to associate with people they don't want to associate with does not remove bigotry from society. It many cases it exacerbates it and increases racial tension.

If racists want to reveal their racism through exclusion from their property and disassociation, let them. Then the rest of us can punish them through the marketplace. For Hans Hoppe to point out that the right to property necessarily implies the right to discriminate and determine how that property is used, it doesn't mean he endorses any such discrimination.

Ah yes, the time-honored practice of the marketplace solving racist issues which totally is a thing that has ever worked, examples of which I will now list in alphabetical order:

quote:

By the same argument that you are using against Hoppe, I could claim that YOU are a racist because you presumably endorse the right of individuals to discriminate on who can enter their home based on race. Why don't we pass a law instituting a racial quota for my private dinner party I am having at my home?

Because, compassionate individuals that we are, we'd rather not inflict you upon racial minorities. They have it hard enough in this country as it is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

The thing is, he has an incredibly simplistic worldview. Thats why he can make claims like "If you subsudize something you get more of it" without batting an eyelash, even though there are thousands and thousands of examples where that is not the case.

Just look at medicare. If you subsudize medical care for the elderly you... get more elderly? You get more sick elderly? How does that make sense?

Hell, I'll take a crack at how he'd square that circle: "While superficially providing subsidizes medical care for the elderly appears to be a human and benevolent State-solution, all it's doing is disincentivizing proper planning for the future when people are younger. Since they know the nanny state will take care of them, more people will fail to properly prepare for their own long-term care, which everyone knows there's a good chance they'll need some day. If they knew, earlier in life, that the State wouldn't be there, they'd wisely set aside funds and buy insurance when they were young and healthy from all that choosing-to-not-get-influenza they did during their productive years.

All the while, the State is funding this via violent confiscation of earned wealth, which I've simply declared clearly proven is entirely immoral and intolerable in any society that claims to value freedom."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

And then I'd point to the fact that before the advent of Medicare less than 50% of our elderly had healthcare, and that without programs like social security 2/3rds of our elderly lived below the poverty line. Then you'd probably ignore it or repeat it back snarkily and talk about something else.

SEE THAT JROD! WE DON'T NEED YOU ANYMORE! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I...I really don't want to be the Jrod proxy as a thing. I read the Freep thread, I've got enough mind-wrenching awfulness in my life as it is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

You've learned many forms, and sacrificed your humanity to gain them. Now look upon my final form. *becomes Peter Schiff*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OsuQ11rzxg

We have stared too long into the abyss.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TLM3101 posted:

Also, it's an excellent setting and quite fun to play.

Agreed, chummer.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

That would be ok because we're all private citizens, not a "government" ? Even after we buy up an entire continent? Still not a state, just a huge private property?

It would cease to be ok the minute it impacted Jrod's walle-err, freedom. I meant to say freedom. Honest.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fans posted:

Last one I promise. George Reisman solves the nature of the universe in eight tweets.

QED Take that science.

Libertarian genius and, to quote Jrod, "one of the most brilliant living economists and historians": functionally indistinguishable from a burnout's :350: revelation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fans posted:

It's weird how Liberarians claim to be Rational but also reject overwhelming Scientific Consensus on things like Climate Change, how do they square that away exactly? They do know what Rational means right?

I mean this whole thing is kind of cultish, with its weird terms and focus on "Thinking Correctly" about things that don't make any loving sense.

How do Libertarians explain things like the East India Companies Opium Wars, Robber Barons or the Mortgage Repackaging Scam that caused the 2007 crash? If Business is so good at self regulating why is it so uniquely awful when it's left to do what it likes?

I mean no one can seriously defend Robber Barons right?

http://mises.org/daily/2317

Whelp.

Option 1: "Those things don't count because The State somehow made them happen."

Option 2: "While those things look bad, they're actually good!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rockopolis posted:

I think we may appreciate you all the more, by contrast.

Before you do, I'm afraid to look him up, but is Paul Elam the dude's real name?
'cause that is some comic book fuckery. Is he going to disappear if you get him to say "malE luaP!"?

Pretty sure it's an assumed name.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jack of Hearts posted:

Does he actually admire Hayek or Smith? I've seen him write dismissively about Hayek before as just piggybacking on von Mises. Smith I really doubt.

He admires whomever is most convenient to admire for the duration of whatever point he thinks he's making, after which they cease to matter at all and it's really intellectually dishonest for the rest of us to constantly bring up the crippling character flaws of those individuals you guys.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait, Hans Hermann Hoppe is alive and writing today? :psyduck:

I had no idea that could be possible.

His writing makes it hard to remember that no, he's not a 50's klansman reacting to the civil rights movement, but rather a modern person who just so happens to be awful.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

In what universe is left-libertarianism about strong individual property rights? We literally explicitly argue for collective ownership of land and other means of production.

The same universe where any of Jrod's feverish delusions about history, economics, human rationality, race relations, and pretty much everything else hold even a drop of water.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

I am a homesteader with a yurt. But I need a new head for my rake!

There are two vendors in the area:

-a hardware store owner who yells at me "get out, get out, run, they're coming"

-a squad of paratoopers (no insignia visible)

Who should get my business?

Ah! I didn't realize Valhalla DRO had added an airborne detachment!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Aren't they a monarchy now :v:?

But are they a ~*benevolent monarchy*~? If not, Jrod won't want anything to do with them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm feeling nostalgic for undergrad ethics, so jrod: since you're hung up on deontic ethics, how are you determining which rules are the right rules?

Well the right rules are the ones that are right, because if they weren't right, then they wouldn't be the right rules now would they? :downs:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Can relationships be free of coercion. My mother gave birth to me, CHOOSING FOR ME the date of my existence. I stand against such aggression.

Fortunately, there's at least one politician out there who's sympathetic to such libertarian sympathies generally, and that issue in particular.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

RocketLunatic posted:

Curious how a libertarian society would handle immigration, refugees, and so on.

Mile-wide tire fires, automated turrets, self-healing mine fields. You know, all the reasonable stuff we've come to know and love from libertarianism.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
I have a couple of friends who used to be minarchists of one flavor or another, but the events of 2008 and since have thoroughly disabused them of such madness. In particular, they tended to be the sort who were initially enamored of Ron Paul before they knew anything about him beyond the superficial, and once the discovered he was only one or two costume changes removed from a klansman that ended pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LuftWaffle posted:

You guys are such assholes on this board that most libertarians found that it was not worth posting here, so now you just make threads where you discuss ideas that none of you actually hold, which really just amounts to a really dumb strawman circlejerk.

I used to consider myself an ancap. There are actually intelligent reasons to reject that philosophy but A.) that doesn't make every single aspect of it wrong and B.) the actual reasons to reject it aren't absolutely retarded things like "what about the roads???????"

For example someone earlier in the thread asked what would happen to their autistic sister or whatever. Well your family would take care of her, or the community, or a charity. Is that really so hard to understand? I'm sure there would be some instances where an autistic person would fall through the cracks but acting like every single one of them would just be shoved out onto the streets and be expected to survive on their own is really stupid. Not to mention the fact that countless governments have failed to help them effectively since the dawn of history.

Which brings us to the crux of why this debate is generally so utterly pointless: libertarianism is on trial against "My Perfect Government". Cool, in the world where you are king you will have perfect laws to protect everyone and have a perfect economy. Or you will have a perfect democracy where everyone votes perfectly so everyone is perfectly protected and the economy is perfect. Why, how could anyone think that any other system could compare! And of course, if the perfect denizens of Perfect Land decided to get rid of their government, they would of course become reprehensible savages (somehow, despite being perfect) who couldn't even muster the collective will to make roads or save autistic people.

Also, someone made fun of some guy for responding to every post and writing long replies. How is that bad? All of you communist retards on this board are used to being in the majority in your echo chambers, you don't know or care what it's like to be gangbanged by 20 people at a time asking deep philosophical questions and/or making snarky insulting comments. The fact that somebody cared enough to try to have an honest discussion is remarkable, the fact that people on this board made fun of him for it is unsurprising. I haven't posted here in years and the last time I did, it was a similar situation. This board is a far left circlejerk, there is nothing "debate" or "discussion" about it.

Here's the final truth to all political and economic debate: good folks make good countries. Following from that, the best countries will always be racially homogenous and white/asian/jewish. States can have utility value which can justify their existence. Mixed markets are the best economic system. There is nothing inherently wrong with laws that interfere with a market but you have to be economically literate enough to understand the effects of such laws.

gently caress this dumb board.

Ahhhh, the out-of-nowhere surprise meltdown. Been quite a while since we've had one of those. :allears: