Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

tbp posted:

pedantic
:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Smiling Knight posted:

Who is going to measure these externalities? Are they the enforcers or merely observers? If the latter, who actually enforces them? What about the fact that corporations can afford far better lawyers and experts that the people of some random small town who might be affected? What organization is going to be proactively testing how new technologies affect the environment, as opposed to simply reacting after things go wrong? And so on and so forth.

There's an implied belief in libertarianism that there's no such thing as power discrepancies. The lawyer you have access to and the lawyer that Megacorp Inc. have access to are exactly the same.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Rowling obviously just worked several billion times harder than Mr. Self-published Author.

Edit: Ironically, using money as a metric (the only valid metric), she worked thousands of times harder than Ayn Rand.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 31, 2014

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I get that that's their answer, but (even ignoring the massive counterexample of all human history where tons of people do business with criminals, join the mafia, support the KKK, etc), it still raises the question: if ostracism and reputation are such ironclad guarantors of nonaggression, why is there even a market for the policing and enforcement functions of DROs? Who would pay for police protection when apparently everyone is too conscious of getting bad Yelp reviews to dare commit a crime?

Heck, the crime doesn't even have involve malice aforethought. I drive drunk and hit a homeless guy. I guess I can just drive off and never worry about it again! Or if I'm really afraid that he could go get DRO coverage on a contingency basis to sue me, I could just whip out my smartphone, use reverse image search to confirm that he's on the DROs' public list of non-covered unpersons, then back my car over him a few times to make sure.

You only have to look at Yelp to see the likely trajectory of any reputation system.

quote:

I have had dozens of attorneys ask me about the benefit of posting reviews on Yelp. Quite honestly, I cannot recommend it at this time. I have had far too many attorneys tell me how they received their first negative review on Yelp followed quickly by a sales call asking if they wanted to advertise.

If they advertised often the negative review would "disappear" and as soon as they stopped paying for advertising their positive reviews suddenly disappeared and the negative one reappeared. If I had only heard this story once or twice I could ignore it, but at this point, I've heard similar experiences dozens of times.