Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnemicChipmunk posted:

I think everyone here should listen to this Majority Report podcast wherein Sam Sedar debates libertarian professor Walter Block. Here's the link. Walter Block is a childish idiot

Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey!!!! Shut Up!!!

Radio gold.

Sam Seder also debated Stephan Molyneux about a year ago and it was just as hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVW1t900Jg

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Smiling Knight posted:

I have a friend in college who is a) a radical libertarian and b) a staunch environmentalist. His Facebook page is the weirdest mix of "end the income tax" and reminders to turn off the bathroom lights to save energy. The way he rationalized it to me is that pollution does damage to the property of others. Companies should be forced to pay for these externalities. I didn't delve further; no point in getting with a possibly heated argument with someone I was living with for a year.

Who is going to enforce that corporations pay for their externalities?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IMJack posted:

I've always thought the funny thing about the "non-aggression principle" is that in order for it to work for you, you need to be a credible enough threat in yourself that nobody dares be aggressive against you. People who hold to this either don't understand that bit and assume people are capable of peace-and-love coexistence that they otherwise deride; or they believe money will buy them muscle and that the muscle is uninterested in turning against them; or they have a fantasy about their own ability to kill anyone who challenges them.

Pretty similar to how Libertarians view the civil rights issue. From the prospective of a business owner being forced to do business with black people, not the black person being excluded from participating in the economy.