Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

He kept saying, "No, no, I'll be casual about it. Like, if I cast Dark Bargain maybe I only take one creature and one land from what everyone discards. You know, I'll limit myself." and I just wanted to strangle him.

:madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

He was REALLY trying to convince the table that it wouldn't be as bad as "those other Tergrid decks". Very powerful "I'm not like those other girls. I play video games!" energy. He was only hesitating because Sheldon said the RC is looking at the card and he didn't want to spend the money on the cards if the commander was gonna get banned.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I mean why not just opt for, say, Tinybones with a reanimator subtheme?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Just cast control magic on tergrid. I really don’t see what the big deal is. If the tergrid player still forces sacrifices and discards you’ll get all the stuff. If not game won’t be miserable.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Batterypowered7 posted:

He kept saying, "No, no, I'll be casual about it. Like, if I cast Dark Bargain maybe I only take one creature and one land from what everyone discards. You know, I'll limit myself." and I just wanted to strangle him.

...Okay, I could theoretically believe that 'casual Tergrid' could exist, but if your idea of 'casual' is basically a gentleman's agreement that you won't take full advantage of your own cards...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TotalHell posted:

That’s all well and good but I was like 9.

The game was very different before we'd learned the difference between "Mono artifacts" and "Continuous artifacts", and also that lands were played only one per turn. No one could figure out why Moxes were any good. The earliest "infinite" combo we played was Candelabra of Tawnos and Wild Growth on a Taiga into a Fireball.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Cast Primal Surge with only two other non-permanents in the deck and I hit one of them on the fifth reveal. What a disaster.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

serefin99 posted:

...Okay, I could theoretically believe that 'casual Tergrid' could exist, but if your idea of 'casual' is basically a gentleman's agreement that you won't take full advantage of your own cards...

Literally the only thing that will cause me to scoop up my cards and just walk out of game. There’s being a bad player, then there’s being a bad sport, and then there’s this. It’s the most condescending horseradish and I hate it. “Oh my heavens, my cards… they’re so strong, such potent spells… aha well, my pet, I’ll simply curb my impossible cosmic powers for the benefit of you… ah, well, less experienced wizards…”

If you’ve got the card in your hand, and it wins the game, and there’s nothing to stop you, you are literally an rear end in a top hat if you don’t go for it, wasting our time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Literally the only thing that will cause me to scoop up my cards and just walk out of game. There’s being a bad player, then there’s being a bad sport, and then there’s this. It’s the most condescending horseradish and I hate it. “Oh my heavens, my cards… they’re so strong, such potent spells… aha well, my pet, I’ll simply curb my impossible cosmic powers for the benefit of you… ah, well, less experienced wizards…”

If you’ve got the card in your hand, and it wins the game, and there’s nothing to stop you, you are literally an rear end in a top hat if you don’t go for it, wasting our time.

The dude very transparently just wants to win but thinks the randos won't have a reason to be upset if he purposely hamstrings himself. Someone else at the table straight up told him, "I hope you have a consistent playgroup that's going to be okay with you playing Tergrid because nobody at this store is going to want to."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A normal Tergrid game drives me insane, I can't imagine playing with purposely slow Tergrid.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh good, let's definitely do this conversation again

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tarnop posted:

Hush

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Then you come up with a better topic of conversation, God.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Play more removal

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Play more removal

No, you just bully the Tergrid player into never playing their stupid deck ever again (by either killing them first every game or just not playing with them).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If I made an Archelos, Lagoon Mystic deck with lots of vehicles and other stuff to support a 'tortoise and the hare' race-type narrative, what would be the most appropriate wincon? Thoracle/Labman? That's a little, bleh. What has race flavor?

e: "Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad Pod"

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 20, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Fast Mana into a big X spell for a blowout finish? Those bounce lands that tap for 2 Mana are excellent with him.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

This, this right here. This is why I've never been able to wrap my head around playing EDH for "points" rather than just... y'know, winning. Telling me that I have to stand around and bap my opponents around like a cat instead of just eatin' them because the fun would be over too fast is just telling me to build a grindy stax (where no one is having fun) deck to milk points instead of playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

If you're able to win, do it. Anything less is just insulting to your opponents.

On the same note, don't drag games out longer than they need to be, it's just as toxic and the 4-hour "beer and pretzels" games I've heard people fantasize about honestly feels like one of the most miserable things I could ever imagine in MtG. I'd so much rather get 3-6 games with different decks and different experiences in that amount of time.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Tarnop posted:

Play more removal

Don’t be a sociopath

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

The last time I played with the thought process "don't be overly aggressive with removal, let them have fun first" I got my dick kicked in four turns later. Unless you are all playing super janky poo poo like chair tribal play to win everytime. How cutthroat you want to be is different, I think.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
As a Filthy Casual I can say that all of my decks and all of my opponents' decks run a ton of removal/interaction. I typically run about 12 sources of spot removal, including counterspells but not including board wipes or land-based removal like Strip Mine. The refrain of "run more interaction" that gets used with every loving discussion in this thread is lazy to the point of being meaningless. If there are players out there that don't run removal I have never met them. It just seems like a straw man every time and it's tiresome. But maybe I'm just fortunate to not be playing with trash.

That said, any casuals who bristle at using removal or having it used on them is playing the wrong game. Every format of this dumb game for idiots is steeped in interaction, and EDH is no exception. Get gud or :frogout:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Railing Kill posted:

As a Filthy Casual I can say that all of my decks and all of my opponents' decks run a ton of removal/interaction. I typically run about 12 sources of spot removal, including counterspells but not including board wipes or land-based removal like Strip Mine. The refrain of "run more interaction" that gets used with every loving discussion in this thread is lazy to the point of being meaningless. If there are players out there that don't run removal I have never met them. It just seems like a straw man every time and it's tiresome. But maybe I'm just fortunate to not be playing with trash.

That said, any casuals who bristle at using removal or having it used on them is playing the wrong game. Every format of this dumb game for idiots is steeped in interaction, and EDH is no exception. Get gud or :frogout:

I'm curious, do you play with a consistent group or at an LGS or [option 3]? I think a whole lot of differing attitudes toward this game tend to break down along that line, to a degree we may not even realize.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Railing Kill posted:

Not to pick on you in particular, that's a problem everyone runs into. Using removal at the right time is a tough skill... pros get it wrong too sometimes. But if you chuck out interaction at the first threats, and don't hold anything back for the bigger threats, that might be a misplay. Nobody ever has enough removal to literally keep the opposite side of the table empty, so you have to just deal with some threats and value engines existing, and hold your cards for later. Hopefully you have some good threats and value engines of your own.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Railing Kill posted:

Randos are the LGS will frequently have no removal or their removal consists of like acidic slime.

these are the same people who will be at 40 life and block an attack from a creature with 4 power and lose their mana dork or something.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

I'm not directing this at you specifically, but if there is anyone in this thread that isn't sure if they are running removal, I totally recommend playing Historic Brawl on Arena. You absolutely need interaction in the 1 v 1 setup, you can play a fair amount of the popular commanders that exist right now, and it's basically free real estate with the number of games you can get in compared to an average commander game. If you don't have enough interaction to win with a deck you'd like to build in Historic Brawl, you probably don't have enough interaction for regular edh either.

Also, if they are gonna just alchemy up cards that are pointless and stupid, why can't they include precon face commanders and/or the commanders from commander legends into their stupid online client.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Heath posted:

I'm curious, do you play with a consistent group or at an LGS or [option 3]? I think a whole lot of differing attitudes toward this game tend to break down along that line, to a degree we may not even realize.

I play with an in-person group and an online group. There's ten players between both groups, including me. There's different deck archetypes and play styles across the group, but not a single guy or gal who would bring a deck without interaction to a table.

I have played with randos at LGSes a few times, but it isn't my regular jam. My local store sucks pretty loving hard and the owner is a toxic rear end in a top hat, so if I do play at an LGS it has to be at a place an hour to the south, or at my buddy's place two hours away when I happen to be in town visiting family. It seems like I just haven't had the requisite experience with randos.

Infinite Karma posted:

Not to pick on you in particular, that's a problem everyone runs into. Using removal at the right time is a tough skill... pros get it wrong too sometimes. But if you chuck out interaction at the first threats, and don't hold anything back for the bigger threats, that might be a misplay. Nobody ever has enough removal to literally keep the opposite side of the table empty, so you have to just deal with some threats and value engines existing, and hold your cards for later. Hopefully you have some good threats and value engines of your own.

Oh yeah, for sure. That's more of a tactical question though. Not even the most laser-focused control deck is going to have enough removal to stamp out every single threat. The understanding should be to pick your battles. But you need to have interaction in the deck in the first place in order to be able to pick any of those battles. I don't have a problem with someone holding onto removal for the right time of threat. I was more addressing the supposed impulse for LGS randos to hold back out of some....misguided guilt about causing feelbads, or something? I don't know. I don't get it, but then again I grew up playing pretty high level tournament MTG back in the day so ruthlessly playing to win is hard wired for me.

pseudanonymous posted:

Randos are the LGS will frequently have no removal or their removal consists of like acidic slime.

these are the same people who will be at 40 life and block an attack from a creature with 4 power and lose their mana dork or something.

lol

Let them see me go hog wild with a Necropotence. Give them nightmares. :unsmigghh:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I hate when randos seem to only be able to do threat assessment for each card played individually, in a vacuum. There'll be some dude with three planeswalkers on the table and you try to resolve an Immortal Sun while he's tapped up but the fucko to your right is like, "Hmn, well I have a single PW somewhere in the 99 and that'll draw you an extra card a turn, so I'm afraid I have to counter that."

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

lol

Let them see me go hog wild with a Necropotence. Give them nightmares. :unsmigghh:

Yeah, it's just.. do you want to like beat up toddlers? wtf is the point. I have real cEDH decks like Thrasios and Tymna and Najeela, but playing against them might as well be gold fishing if I play real cards.

Supposedly there are people trying to play cEDH there but I never seem to run into them.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
One of the more frustrating things is having friends who aren't very experienced deckbuilders and just roll with cards that are listed on EDHrec without having a big overall plan or packing much interaction at all, and still having to hold back with precons. I'm at the point where I buy precons and just leave them whole so I have something to play at low power levels but I don't think I want to go much lower than that because jank is very dull to me.

Precons have been pretty solid as of late though. The Lorehold one, the zombie one, and some of the AFR ones seem pretty good.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

One of the more frustrating things is having friends who aren't very experienced deckbuilders and just roll with cards that are listed on EDHrec without having a big overall plan or packing much interaction at all, and still having to hold back with precons. I'm at the point where I buy precons and just leave them whole so I have something to play at low power levels but I don't think I want to go much lower than that because jank is very dull to me.

Precons have been pretty solid as of late though. The Lorehold one, the zombie one, and some of the AFR ones seem pretty good.

What I find frustrating about the precons is how uneven they are. We played precons last weekend, and the games mostly came down to strong top decking.

One game I had basically no board presence and was almost totally out of the game, then top decked Mantle of the Ancients and slapped it on Galea and straight up one-shotted someone out of the game, turned around and the next guy had blockers and I had no trample but I had lifelink, so he blew up whatever equipment was giving me lifelink, I then topdecked Behemoth Sledge to kill the next guy. It felt like a very hollow unfun victory. None of my choices intentionally led down that path, I just drew haymakers at the exact right moment.

We kind of want to sometimes play "fair" magic but the precons don't feel fair, also some of them are much stronger than others.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

How do y'all feel about the Game Knights 10 card draw, 10 ramp, 10-12 removal, 3-4 wrath template for decks?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's better than "random pile of on-color cards" but shouldn't be taken as gospel because a deck with a focused game plan could easily deviate from that framework.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I like it as a good base to start from and modify depending on what you want to do or what your commander does budget etc etc.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I like that they're encouraging playing a good amount of interaction, like the thread has talked about multiple times.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It shouldn't be a hard and fast rule but it's a decent direction. You're way better off playing a good value card rather than try to scrape the barrel and jam in a really low quality interaction card just because you're trying to reach 10 pieces.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jiro posted:

I like it as a good base to start from and modify depending on what you want to do or what your commander does budget etc etc.

If my commander fills one of those roles (it's usually card advantage or ramp) I count it as 2 cards in that category.

Aiming for roughly those numbers and then tweaking after a few games played has worked out pretty well for me. I use the global tags in moxfield to make sure I'm hitting the right numbers in each category when I build a new deck

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think it's a solid guideline for a new deck and you play it and adjust as necessary.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

How do y'all feel about the Game Knights 10 card draw, 10 ramp, 10-12 removal, 3-4 wrath template for decks?

I usually run slightly more card advantage and ramp than that, and maybe 5 or 6 board wipes, but generally this is alright.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

As a "template" for new/casual players, that sounds very reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Its a nice template that any new deck builder can use to put together a semi functional deck and I'm all for it. You can build around this premises and add and removal as needed based on your person preference and play group.