Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

I'm up to page 6 for naming rookies now. Sid is leading reincarned gggiiimmmppp and watho, and newcomers starwars betamax, cymbal monkey, and alnilam. Should be an easy mission. Good luck all :911:

Also Sid has a Heavy Laser now, but this mod is still a work in progress and doesn't have a special model for the Heavy Laser (it's 5 tiers of x-com lasers so the old models go to a new tier, i dunno) and it looks identical to the laser rifle from earlier, oh well.

They said they recently figured out how to add all new models and stuff but it's not in yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

It's Mutons and floaters and Sid is the only one with a laser weapon. But the difficulty was marked 'light' so hopefully not too many of them. We may lose a rookie or two but I think we got this.

deep dish peat moss

Wow holy crap, way to go Sid and Team. Hoping for more easy missions in the future to get some more rookies ranked up.

deep dish peat moss

There's currently a Large UFO flying over Florida, possibly a big mission coming up.

e: Nope, just a Light difficulty Abduction mission in Seattle. The aliens are abducting our weed. Time to level up some rookies!

Here is Zombie Julio, the first XCOM soldier to wear our new prototype Phalanx Armor.

Arnie is leading Zombie Julio and Blue's Clues in to this mission with newcomers Guillermus, Nosfereefer, and Slaapaav. Good luck!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 26, 2014

deep dish peat moss

Whew, good job everyone.

We almost lost Arnie!
Congrats Zombie Julio and Blue's Clues achieving a high enough rank to get nicknames! You'll get cool helmets and poo poo next.

We got swarmed by a lot of Seekers. They're a lot more dangerous than they are in the unmodded game because you're regularly running in to 4-8 of them at a time, and they take reduced damage from conventional weapons. These guys were really hard to deal with because we had two laser rifles, three assault rifles, and a sniper rifle, and only the laser rifles were doing much.

Our rookies did a good job of thinning their numbers before they could even get close with a lot of grenades.

Eventually three of them popped up and were really smart, they strangled Arnie, Blue's Clues, and Zombie Julio all at the same time, leaving us with only three assault rifles. In the mod they sometimes take a few shots to shake off a target they're strangling, so we had a real scare. All fire focused initially on the one strangling Arnie, because he's the squad leader and if he died people would start to panic and freak out, plus he's our highest ranked soldier. We shook the Seeker off him, but he survived...

Blue's Clues and Zombie Julio (no picture) were also being strangled, and they had our laser weapons.

And holy gently caress, the seeker we shook off Arnie took a shot at him and reduced him to 1hp! Our rookies killed him afterward.

Arnie sniped the Seeker off Julio, who miraculously managed to score a hit on the seeker on Blue's Clues, even though he was all hosed up from being choked out.

Then a few Sectoids showed up and our rookies had no problem dispatching them with grenades and flanking (pictured: Nosfereefer)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 26, 2014

deep dish peat moss

Holy poo poo everyone we are back on track!

I really did not expect this but fantastic job!

Here's what I'm working on next:
We need more interceptors, that's going to use up most of this month's income.
I'm building a Thermo Generator over the steam vents in our base, once that's up and running we'll have enough power to build an Alien Containment facility, then we need to capture a live alien and interrogate that motherfucker.
I'm researching better aeronautics/interceptors so we can start shooting down more UFOs.

deep dish peat moss

I ended up sending an unnamed rookie to infiltrate EXALT. His infiltration has concluded and it's time for extraction.
Because of the difficult logistical nature of the mission, we are only able to bring four soldiers with us. Here is our extraction team, four of our strongest soldiers, decked out in the newest gear.

This is the finest of BYOBCom technology at the moment, and we're about to take on EXALT for the first time. We know nothing about them. Their numbers, their strength, their abilities, all unknown. Let's see what this third player has to do with our game of chess...

Assuming this unnamed rookie survives the mission, I'm going to be naming him after myself. I'll be our undercover, y'all.

deep dish peat moss

Early security feed of our first EXALT spotting. They seem to be Alien/Human hybrids of some sort. Who knows what their intentions are...

At first glance they appear to sit somewhere between Sectoids and Mutons in toughness, and appear to still be using conventional weapons. I think we'll have the superior firepower, but they will tend to vastly outnumber us. Let's see what happens.

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

:patriot:

deep dish peat moss

EXALT are still chumps in the mod I guess, it's not even worth writing up anything about the mission, right now they're just like fighting a bunch of rookie BYOBCom soldiers. However they were swarming all over us at the end so I extracted the team after completing the objective instead of cleaning up and getting even more kills.

I'm stopping for now, but coming up we have the return of a lot of soldiers that have been wounded over the past month, Ectral will be leading the next mission and hopefully soon we're going to have some cool new stuff? And we'll almost definitely be fighting a new alien type this month, it's kind of scary. We're two promotions away from getting a seventh slot for our squads too!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 26, 2014

Slaapaav

by Azathoth
Wow i have 2 kills and im a sniper :golgo:

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW
I really want this expansion now :O

deep dish peat moss

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I really want this expansion now :O

Most of the changes you're seeing from the base xcom game are just the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88
which I think has a version for the base game too. The only expansion things we've seen so far are commissioning of officers, rushing development using Meld, and the EXALT stuff. There's more expansion stuff later like genetic modification and cyborg mech troopers but they're still a long way off.

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW
ya but I dont really want to replay it w/out the full thing now that its out you know?

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW
ditto civ v and BNW :(

deep dish peat moss

I did another mission and it went well

A big UFO landed and Ectral and team are raiding it (Ectral needs to see some action, it's been the Arnie and Sid show for a while)

Looks like maybe a supply ship? We might make out like bandits, or it could be a terror ship or something. We're in for a tough fight either way.

e: Central confirms it's a supply ship. Also I realized I didn't want a sniper for this mission so I re-loaded and started without one and now the mission is in the desert instead.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 26, 2014

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

If aliens ever do invade Earth, I now know the YOB will put up a good fight

deep dish peat moss

So far this mission is going really well. We've dispatched three groups of enemies now (Three thin men and a sectoid, 4 Seekers, and 4 Chryssalids) with minor injuries, but the Chryssalids were a close call because this ship layout forced me to fight them at close range. One single missed shot would have been the end of probably Wide Stancer, but luckily everyone was on their mark and we survived. Based on how long enemy turns are taking I think we're almost done with this ship, maybe just 2-3 more squads.

Basically we've spent the entire mission in the flight center or whatever for the UFO here

I keep using Slaapaav to scout and draw aliens back to this room where they get lit up.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 26, 2014

deep dish peat moss

I think the mission's just about over, but things are about to get seriously hosed as somewhere between 6 and 8 Seekers just appeared at once, I saw a drone too which I hope is not accompanying a Cyberdisc.

e: Seekers are all dead with minimal damage. Widestancer wrecks them, but I just realized the crew of Outsiders piloting this thing is going to be scary as gently caress.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 26, 2014

deep dish peat moss

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I just realized the crew of Outsiders piloting this thing is going to be scary as gently caress.

Holy poo poo, yep

Good luck making it through this, team. I think the rest of the ship is cleared.

deep dish peat moss

god drat BYOBCom

Ectral you are a great squad leader!!!

At this point we have a lot of toughness because of our new armor and now that our laser weapons are up and running again we have a ton of firepower too. Things are going to get a lot harder when mechanized units start showing up but man, we have a real fighting chance!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 26, 2014

zooted heh

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
zooted lives up to his new nick name and doubles down on his alien kill count.

alnilam

On this memorial day don't forget to remember the brave yobbers who fight to protect us from aliems

BoothsBeard
I would like the enlist in this just as I have in Our Great Nation's military forces. People don't think that sanitation engineering is important in a combat AO but it is a vital support service.

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

oh man, brother of watho is doing not terribly i hope that trend keeps up :)

we're going to show these aliens how to chill!

Eye of Widesauron

All Day Stancer is still alive :911:

Dr Cheeto
Hey Collabo can you get me on the list of grunts to enlist?

The X-man cometh
I'm in too!

:patriot: :byob1: :911:

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 26, 2014

SunAndSpring
I want in too. If a grunt is named after me, it's destined for ruination and misery.

deep dish peat moss

I did a couple more missions but they were uneventful and I didn't feel like doing full updates (probably mostly going to be seeing those for big/important missions now) but for some updates on what happened:

Nosfereefer died, with three kills and having participated in two missions. RIP Pigeon Avatar guy. There were a few ranks up, e.g. Alnilam was promoted to SPEC and assigned the Weapons class, and Watho was promoted to LCPL.

Most importantly, Sid got promoted and we got a couple new Officer abilities. First, we now have seven soldiers per mission, and second, we can now promote our squad leaders to Captains. There are two Captain openings and currently Sid is the only one that qualifies, so say hello to Captain Sid 'Richter' Vicious, leading rookies and blasting aliens from beyond the forums grave.

His new additional Officer ability is that all allies within range of him take 1 less damage when hit.

I'm not sure what the Captain qualifications are, it won't let me promote Arnie (but he is wounded?) or Ectral (not wounded), Arnie is higher level than Sid and Ectral is the same, I don't know.

Anyway this also gave us two new openings for Lieutenants so those will be going out sometime soon.

Here is an updated Memorial list with all of our fallen soldiers:

CURRENT LIST OF SLAIN SOLDIERS
code:
LAST UPDATE as of Page 10
NAME                            KILLS  MISSIONS     LAST OPERATION                        DATE             CAUSE OF DEATH
LCPL Mighty Stalker             11     5            Operation Blinding Vengeance          4/4/2015         Plasma Carbine (Outsider)
LCPL Windmill Slayer            7      5            Operation Blinding Vengeance          4/4/2015         Plasma Carbine (Outsider)
LCPL Satanic SexRitual          7      4            Operation Glass Dawn                  3/24/2015        Plasma Pistol (Sectoid)
LCPL Gimp Goatman               6      5            Operation Blinding Vengeance          4/4/2015         Plasma Carbine (Thin Man)
LCPL Shin 42k                   4      5            Operation Shattered Summer            4/12/2015        MIA and presumed lost
LCPL Bo Pepper                  9      5            Operation Dying Gift                  4/17/2015        Plasma Carbine (Thin Man)
LCPL Air Julio                  7      4            Operation Enduring Star               4/22/2015        Chryssalid Claw
LCPL Cowa Banga                 9      4            Operation Burning Future              5/17/2015        MIA and presumed lost
SPEC A Single Heh               7      2            Operation Shattered Summer            4/12/2015        MIA and presumed lost
SPEC Azurrat                    6      3            Operation Empty Star                  4/23/2015        Plasma Carbine (Thin Man)
SPEC Sleepy Owl                 0      3            Operation Crystal Druid               5/5/2015         Plasma Carbine (Floater)
SPEC The Rage                   4      4            Operation Burning Future              5/17/2015        MIA and presumed lost
SPEC Ron Color                  8      3            Operation Burning Future              5/17/2015        MIA and presumed lost
SPEC Half Hazard                7      3            Operation Burning Future              5/17/2015        MIA and presumed lost
SPEC Nosfereefer                3      2            Operation Swift Hawk                  6/10/2015        Plasma Carbine (Floater)
PFC Living Shield               0      1            Operation Devil's Night               3/3/2015         Plasma Carbine (Outsider)
PFC Poopzilla                   0      1            Operation Devil's Night               3/14/2015        Plasma Carbine (Outsider)
PFC TiMBuS                      1      2            Operation Dying Giant                 3/22/2015        MIA and presumed lost
PFC Captain Nomates             2      1            Operation Shattered Summer            4/12/2015        MIA and presumed lost
PFC Watho                       1      1            Operation Shattered Summer            4/12/2015        MIA and presumed lost
PFC Green Calx                  0      1            Operation Shattered Summer            4/12/2015        MIA and presumed lost
PFC Limed00d                    0      1            Operation Shattered Summer            4/12/2015        MIA and presumed lost
PFC Beacon Nose                 0      1            Operation Enduring Star               4/22/2015        Chryssalid Claw
PFC Magnanimous Lurch           1      1            Operation Empty Star                  4/23/2015        Plasma Carbine (Thin Man)
I'm amazed we haven't lost anyone beyond LCPL yet. From what I've been reading about the mod Cyberdiscs are going to absolutely wreck us when they show up so we'll be seeing a lot of deaths at that point, I'm glad I've been leveling up so many of you!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 27, 2014

cuntman.net

please feel free to cycle me back in every time i die

owl milk

Sleepy Owl posted:

please feel free to cycle me back in every time i die

you are :ghost: after al

deep dish peat moss

I don't know if I took or posted a picture when it happened but GODSPEED JOHN GLENN got promoted high enough to get a nickname and is named GODSPEED 'Mad Dog' JOHN GLENN which is cool

e: Oh my god in something entirely new to the mod we got a terror mission where we're fighting off a zombie epidemic in france or something

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 27, 2014

hemale in pain

Can you make a me?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I don't know if I took or posted a picture when it happened but GODSPEED JOHN GLENN got promoted high enough to get a nickname and is named GODSPEED 'Mad Dog' JOHN GLENN which is cool

e: Oh my god in something entirely new to the mod we got a terror mission where we're fighting off a zombie epidemic in france or something

gently caress yeah!

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

gently caress yeah!

gj mad dog :arnie::hf::byob1:

alnilam

There were a few ranks up, e.g. Alnilam was promoted to SPEC and assigned the Weapons class, and Watho was promoted to LCPL.

:c00lbert:
does this mean I'm the cool weapons expert guy who's all smokin a cig leaning against a corner and twirling a multitool around my fingers that i will later use to set up some explosives?

if it ever comes down to me needing to stay behind to blow the explosives because the remote trigger fried, tell my family "gently caress them aliens"

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
oh no!

rip

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
woul love getting a new dude :byob1:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalfHazard

:siren: steam's midweek madness sale has X-COM + all DLC at 50% making it $24.99 USD, if you don't want to wait for the summer sale then now's a good time to buy

can't wait for cyberdisc mayhem

• Locked thread