Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Thanks for the healy info in this thread and the other, gang. People go on about how the Spellslinger has a high bar for skill but heals well, but can anyone talk about how a really well-played Spellslinger compares to the other classes?

I ask about this because the Spellslinger seems to have seen some of the most sweeping changes since beta and indeed, they just had a major focus mechanic change here in the week before launch. It seems to me that if you need to press 8 buttons, manage your character resource, use 10 macros, and jocky your position like a champ JUST to keep up with an Esper spamming 1/2, then people are gonna want Espers for all the endgame content.

I think that if the Spellslinger has a high skill requirement for top level play, they should be pretty awesome at heals in the end. I dunno. I was liking the class for DPS (never got to try heals) but I feel like their healer mechanics aren't as well thought out as the Medic and Esper (all this is from reading about them in forums). The Esper compared to most other classes is boring, but I don't think you'll ever see them relegated to junk healer status based on a hasty patch that gets redacted a month later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Gameko posted:

Thanks for the healy info in this thread and the other, gang. People go on about how the Spellslinger has a high bar for skill but heals well, but can anyone talk about how a really well-played Spellslinger compares to the other classes?

I ask about this because the Spellslinger seems to have seen some of the most sweeping changes since beta and indeed, they just had a major focus mechanic change here in the week before launch. It seems to me that if you need to press 8 buttons, manage your character resource, use 10 macros, and jocky your position like a champ JUST to keep up with an Esper spamming 1/2, then people are gonna want Espers for all the endgame content.

I think that if the Spellslinger has a high skill requirement for top level play, they should be pretty awesome at heals in the end. I dunno. I was liking the class for DPS (never got to try heals) but I feel like their healer mechanics aren't as well thought out as the Medic and Esper (all this is from reading about them in forums). The Esper compared to most other classes is boring, but I don't think you'll ever see them relegated to junk healer status based on a hasty patch that gets redacted a month later.

The Focus debuff for Spellsurged heals is just a bandaid fix it seems. They were getting way more powerful heals with no consequence, making them really focus-efficient.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

The problem with SS heals was that with Focus Regen runes + their Support (healing) AMPs they could poo poo out so much healing with minimal focus cost AND never consume Spell Surge. The changes make you have to actually think about the type of heal you'll need to use (Not Healing Torrent + Healing Salve 24/7) since you'll actually eat up SS and focus if you just spam your heart out.

Now what I don't like is the change to Spell Surge not being able to be activated during a channeled ability. While I understand why they did it, it slows the gameplay of SS down and it's going to take some time to get used to it. It's a DPS loss because you have to delay your next action a little but I'm hoping they adjust the ability queues or something to compensate for how much slower the class feels.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
I wish spellslinger healing wasn't so graphically boring; something like three or four spells all use the same animation. It makes me want to play an esper simply so I can shoot balloons, trees, deer and lampposts everywhere when I heal. Why can't other classes have effects as great as esper finishers :smith:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Crazy Larry posted:

Is there going to be a vanity system in Wildstar? I was going to join up just to annoy Doublestep in an MMO again, but you guys already seem to have that on lock down, so now I'm mostly interested in space cowboy Spellslinger.

Yes, it's a bit clunky in that you have to visit an NPC to access it, but any class can wear all class gear in a transmog slot. It's actually a bit better than most MMOs do because you can even set a piece (say, your boots) to not show at all. So you can be running around barefoot in your raiding shoes, while wearing a giant heavy armor helmet as a cloth class.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Kaedric posted:

Yes, it's a bit clunky in that you have to visit an NPC to access it, but any class can wear all class gear in a transmog slot. It's actually a bit better than most MMOs do because you can even set a piece (say, your boots) to not show at all. So you can be running around barefoot in your raiding shoes, while wearing a giant heavy armor helmet as a cloth class.

So does this mean I could play a medic and use that awesome engineer endgame set as my costume if I were able to get it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

flipoff posted:

So does this mean I could play a medic and use that awesome engineer endgame set as my costume if I were able to get it?

Or you could be an Engineer and prance around in pretty princess Esper dresses.

I'm assuming the costume slots or whatever get turned off in pvp? Or are you expected to notice a class by the weapon(s) they're using?

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Or you could be an Engineer and prance around in pretty princess Esper dresses.

I'm assuming the costume slots or whatever get turned off in pvp? Or are you expected to notice a class by the weapon(s) they're using?

Costumes don't work in PvP at the moment but apparently you'll be allowed to in some future update.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

More good info to consider about Spellslinger healing, thanks again, gang!

I've heard a few different people say the focus debuff feels like a bandaid fix, but that again points to them not being completely comfortable with the systems in place for the Slinger heals. I think they want to have all classes viable in both of their roles, but we might go through some real pain getting there over the next few months post release. Playing PVE support is my primary game focus, and to my mind it's a significant risk to play SS as support. The class may not really be working as intended until after one or two major patches.

I haven't had a big chance to watch a lot of youtube videos yet, but in the end I might just pick my healer based on which animations I like and which seem cooler in whatever media I can find. It's as good a way to chose as any.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You dominion guys are silly for going with Goonsquad instead of Pak Chua Unf. Just sayin.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Or by their name plate. Which tells you. PvP costumes are scheduled to go in shortly after launch.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Or by their name plate. Which tells you. PvP costumes are scheduled to go in shortly after launch.

Meh, I generally turn extra nameplate info off, there's typically enough crap filling my screen already. Of course this only matters if nameplates actually work, and they seemed a bit better yesterday but definitely weren't showing 100%.

By 'PvP costumes' do you just mean costumes working in PvP or a dedicated PvP costume slot/setup?

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
Costumes working in PvP

Tomed2000 posted:

Check out this pic from my RareTracker addon.

Nice Tomed, it's Apoptotic.

Since you're a goon, here's my list of Whitevale nameds

I haven't seen Frosty the Snowtail spawn but Permafrost actually spawns twice, and since they're both monkeys or whatever :shrug:

Mount Desert fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 23, 2014

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Costumes not working in battlegrounds/arenas is pretty stupid, since there are loads more reliable tells about what someone's class is than what armor they're wearing. Even the hardcore arena pvp guys on the main Wildstar forums want costumes to work in pvp.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Has anyone tried Engineer tanking? Quite interested in the concept of a heavy range tank, but wondering if it's actually viable compbared to the more traditional warrior mitigation and rogue dodge tanking.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Has anyone tried Engineer tanking? Quite interested in the concept of a heavy range tank, but wondering if it's actually viable compbared to the more traditional warrior mitigation and rogue dodge tanking.

Maybe this is just me being bad at video games, but playing as a Stalker, I dread playing with Engineer tanks when their bot spins the boss around. It makes backstabbing and staying out of front cones a pain in the rear end. Then again, maybe I've just not grouped up with any good ones.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Commissar Budgie posted:

Maybe this is just me being bad at video games, but playing as a Stalker, I dread playing with Engineer tanks when their bot spins the boss around. It makes backstabbing and staying out of front cones a pain in the rear end. Then again, maybe I've just not grouped up with any good ones.

They shouldn't use their tank pet when tanking I imagine. They're either so low level they have no alternative or they just don't know better. It's not really a game system problem.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
I got the impression that the tank pet was more designed for offtanking adds? Haven't really tried it out yet though so I can't say for sure.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a quasi-reliable interrupt, in that it's supposed to interrupt, and on rare occasions will actually be fast enough to use with other interrupts to break IA. For me it boiled down to "do i want to play a chua" vs "do i want to play a class that can just do all the interrupts without relying on the group" which is why i ended up picking warrior over engineer, because they have a massive amount of interrupts.

Unsteady miasma is a bit problematic too, in that it's the engineer's main damage reduction ability, but it's a debuff and not a buff so you encounter the issue where "well a warrior has more defensive abilities that only effect the warrior itself, so let's just put an engineer on miasma duty to make our warrior tanks even more effective."

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 23, 2014

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Normal Adult Human posted:

Unsteady miasma is a bit problematic too, in that it's the engineer's main damage reduction ability, but it's a debuff and not a buff so you encounter the issue where "well a warrior has more defensive abilities that only effect the warrior itself, so let's just put an engineer on miasma duty to make our warrior tanks even more effective."

I actually kind of like all of the support options that an engineer can bring to the table. Seems like as DPS you could downgrade your DPS for a decent amount of group support if the fight calls for it.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Rasmussen posted:

They shouldn't use their tank pet when tanking I imagine. They're either so low level they have no alternative or they just don't know better. It's not really a game system problem.

Actually it's a pretty drat good tanking ability to use your bot. It can interrupt and also be an "oh poo poo" button.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Well if you hve an Engineer taking and using Unsteady Miasma then the Warriors can instead be speccing for DPS and be doing more because of it. Or alternately if the Warrior is tanking then you have the Engineer DPSing while dropping Miasma. I'm not seeing the issue?

I mean unless you're saying that people will expect tanking Engineers to respec to something else just because there's a Warrior around but gently caress that, that's the point at which I'd be like "haha no" and/or find other people to group with.

e: Not so much a problem with the Engineer player not being flexible as a problem with other people going 'you play this way because we want you to' though.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Well if you hve an Engineer taking and using Unsteady Miasma then the Warriors can instead be speccing for DPS and be doing more because of it. Or alternately if the Warrior is tanking then you have the Engineer DPSing while dropping Miasma. I'm not seeing the issue?

I mean unless you're saying that people will expect tanking Engineers to respec to something else just because there's a Warrior around but gently caress that, that's the point at which I'd be like "haha no" and/or find other people to group with.

e: Not so much a problem with the Engineer player not being flexible as a problem with other people going 'you play this way because we want you to' though.

It's a balance issue. If you can do a buff that makes one tank viable for any other tank that was already viable then that situation becomes optimal and either makes fight to easy or they balance around that and engineer tanks suffer either way most raid groups would not do sub optimal tanking for someones ego/play style.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Mount Desert posted:

Costumes working in PvP

Nice Tomed, it's Apoptotic.

Since you're a goon, here's my list of Whitevale nameds

I haven't seen Frosty the Snowtail spawn but Permafrost actually spawns twice, and since they're both monkeys or whatever :shrug:

Nice, thanks! I had a few of these but was definitely missing the majority.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Draynar posted:

It's a balance issue. If you can do a buff that makes one tank viable for any other tank that was already viable then that situation becomes optimal and either makes fight to easy or they balance around that and engineer tanks suffer either way most raid groups would not do sub optimal tanking for someones ego/play style.

The point I was trying to make is that trying to force Engineer players to support instead of tank themselves is in itself a manifestation of 'not doing X for someone's ego/playstyle'.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wait no i'm a fuckfail and i posted without actually looking at what tank support each class contributes.

As far as, i guess i'll call them offtanking buffs, warriors have defense grid (30%+ damage reduction aoe dome 10up 30cd) sentinel (-10% their armor, +20% another player's armor) and power link (about 25% bonus damage (threat is a big deal.)10up 25cd)

Engineers have unsteady miasma (-25% strikethrough chance on enemies in the aoe) and recursive matrix (5% deflect aura, 10up 30scd) which is a bigger deal for engineers than warriors because if they deflect an attack they can use feedback which gives them a 50% damage reduction buff against the next attack.

Stalkers have decimate (target deals 10% less damage) and amplification spike (deflect and resistance aura 8up 15cd)

It's not really a huge deal for a dps engineer to pick up unsteady miasma or a dps warrior to have defense grid or sentinel. Damage rotations are really simplistic and can usually boil down to 2-4 abilities, which leaves half your LAS open for utility.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 23, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Engineers have unsteady miasma (-25% strikethrough chance on enemies in the aoe)

I think this is wrong. Unsteady Miasma gives enemies the Blunder debuff/status effect, which is a 25-33% (based on rank in ability) chance for their attacks to outright miss, totally separate from any player Deflection chance.

Unless I am getting this mixed up with one of their other powers, which is possible.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

croutonZA posted:

Potentially dumb question ahead: My client region defaults to North America every time I start it up, even though my account is EU. Anyone know how I can get this to save because having to change it every time I want to play will get old fast?

Edit: Thanks Inepta Lacerta, I think I'll do that.

Edit 2: Maybe the OP should include a list of recommended addons or something? I found the game way more enjoyable with stuff like steer installed, so maybe that would be helpful for people to try out?

Followup to this, but there was just a small patch to download and after I set the game region to europe again and restarted the launcher, the issue seems to be gone. :)

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing
I totally can't decide on a class so far, so thanks for all the class discussion posts.

I don't see warrior discussed much. Anyone have impressions on warrior versus similar classes?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I wonder if there's any credibility to rumors that headstart will happen sooner than the 31st. Maybe I just helping propagate troll bullshit but has anyone else heard the same?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Who Dat posted:

I wonder if there's any credibility to rumors that headstart will happen sooner than the 31st. Maybe I just helping propagate troll bullshit but has anyone else heard the same?

Nope. I think we'd all go mad.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Honestly (and this will necessarily depend on how things shake out in high-level group content) I feel like you shouldn't ever really need to feel like you should spec 'full tank' or 'full healer' or even 'full DPS'.

You get 8 abilities on a bar, and you don't ever need all 8 for a single aspect of a role (I don't think you'd even need 8 heals as a healer). I really feel like once you've got 3-4 tanking or healing things on your tray, you should be expected to fill the other half with 1-2 interrupts and a couple 'pure damage' abilities. And as a corollary, you might not really need to ever spec 'pure DPS' because do you REALLY need 8 all-out damage abilities? After you have 3, 4 or 5, maybe it's time to consider a couple heals or one of those tank group buffs or something. (e: Everyone should have at least one stun/Interrupt Armor breaker, that's the only real hard 'rule' I would expect in a group setting)

I guess what I'm saying is I feel like 5-mans should really be something like 2x Tank/DPS hybrid, 3x Heal/DPS hybrid instead of '1 Tank, 1 Heal, 3x DPS'.

But again, this will depend on how level-capped content turns out...

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Well, episode 2 of 'Plotz' is done.

Presenting: The Heartbeat Generator, by KelpPlankton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CebVPfiqMEY

Made mostly out of housing vendor parts and lowbie architecture goodies, it's a power plant for your housing plot.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jfizzoid posted:

I totally can't decide on a class so far, so thanks for all the class discussion posts.

I don't see warrior discussed much. Anyone have impressions on warrior versus similar classes?

Before you even leave the arcship you'll have rampage and that's a good litmus of whether or not you'll like basic warrior gameplay. Later on you'll come to notice they have the most interrupts by far and the most consistent damage reduction.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Who Dat posted:

I honestly hope they do. I will thrive off of the forums posts of people who somehow manage to be "Betrayed" by Carbine for starting it early without prior notice, because MMO players are insane.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Who Dat posted:

Just take a second and imagine how outraged all the freaks who have scheduled a week off work would be if you suddenly moved the headstart date

It's glorious

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

I honestly hope they do. I will thrive off of the forums posts of people who somehow manage to be "Betrayed" by Carbine for starting it early without prior notice, because MMO players are insane.

Glad I wasn't the only one who wants this. It's possible the headstart could begin early, as long as Carbine feels that everything is in place and their testing is done early.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I don't get why internet people are so intense about the headstart. I mean, I have a name reserved for 2 weeks after release, so that's not an issue, and WildStar is so full of character that I'm going to fall behind the first big mass of leveling players anyway since I know I'll be taking the game slow to soak it all in, explore nooks and crannies, 100% Each zone as I go along...

I guess I just don't grok the GOTTA BE 50 NOWNOWNOW thing. :saddowns:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

WarLocke posted:

I don't get why internet people are so intense about the headstart. I mean, I have a name reserved for 2 weeks after release, so that's not an issue, and WildStar is so full of character that I'm going to fall behind the first big mass of leveling players anyway since I know I'll be taking the game slow to soak it all in, explore nooks and crannies, 100% Each zone as I go along...

I guess I just don't grok the GOTTA BE 50 NOWNOWNOW thing. :saddowns:

Especially when you consider that, judging by every other MMO headstart in history and how poorly Carbine handled the name reservation, the servers are probably literally going to be on fire for most of the headstart

edit: Also who says grok? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streyr
May 14, 2006
Penguin God
Just got an email this morning with the GMG coupon: GMG025-MAYBHW-SOSAVE
Works with Wildstar to give you 25% off.

• Locked thread