Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Over here in the Netherlands we had some events where a game store would give out Mew. You had to clear a spot in your party, then they stuck the game in a special Super Famicom and it'd show a cute animation while adding a level 5 Mew to your party.
And you got a neat sticker on the back of your cartridge.

There's a little cut in the sticker because I opened up my cart at one point to see if replacing the save battery without cutting the power would be feasible. I had all 151 Pokémon on that cart, but it's either lost its save by now or I wouldn't be able to check because my sister has my GBA SP now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
:allears: I never get tired of watching or reading about Pokemon glitches, especially in the first gen. My favorite thing about Missingno is the different sprites it can have. Most of them are just that random blocky mess, but depending on your name it can appear as the unidentified ghost, or those fossil sprites from the Pewter museum. Have a whole fuckin team of Aerodactyl skeletons :black101:

Thanks for a cool LP, man. The special animation for the final battle was great, and the whole thing's been a fun trip down memory lane.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man, Mewtwo with glitch powers would be scary as hell. He'd be like The One, but in Pokemon. "Try to catch me in a Master Ball? gently caress you, save deleted."

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I've always wanted Missingno to get its chance to shine as an official pokemon. Legendary glitch pokemon, probably a Porygon taken to its natural conclusion with the increasingly dubious evolutions. That or as some terrible lovecraftian blight, but that might be stepping on Giratina's gig.

Gamefreak seems intent on pretending it didn't happen though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Obligatum VII posted:

I've always wanted Missingno to get its chance to shine as an official pokemon. Legendary glitch pokemon, probably a Porygon taken to its natural conclusion with the increasingly dubious evolutions. That or as some terrible lovecraftian blight, but that might be stepping on Giratina's gig.

Gamefreak seems intent on pretending it didn't happen though.

How badly programmed first gen was is probably embarassing to them. It's the same reason artists can't look at their old work.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mr DJB posted:

Here's the original layout of the cave, as I promised:

For the interested, the layout is also different in Yellow. The GBA remakes reuse the original Red/Green layout.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cerulean_Cave#Layout

Geemer posted:

Over here in the Netherlands we had some events where a game store would give out Mew. You had to clear a spot in your party, then they stuck the game in a special Super Famicom and it'd show a cute animation while adding a level 5 Mew to your party.
And you got a neat sticker on the back of your cartridge.
We had the same thing here in Austria, but without the sticker.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
This was a great LP. I had a fun time watching it!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Metroixer posted:

This was a great LP. I had a fun time watching it!

http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Blue/

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wasn't Mew given out as part of some promotion in the states? I remember that dumb Mew trading card everyone had, I think they were both tied to the movie.

Nintendo Power had a thing where you could enter and they would choose random kids to receive Mew. However this meant having to mail your game to Nintendo so they could hack it in for you.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The technical.txt reading at the end was quite a bit of fun. I love stuff like that.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Your Computer posted:

The totally awesome and in no way dumb :colbert: card Ancient Mew:

..was absolutely tied to the movie, but I don't think an in-game Mew was ever given out.

I have way fond memories of that card, seeing as I got it after winning a contest in the Norwegian Club Nintendo magazine (my sister and I made like, 50 Pokémon in model clay) and getting to see the pre-premiere of the movie. :allears:
That card was actually given out for the second movie, for some reason, at least in Australia. I remember because I broke my wrist on the trampoline later that day because I was so excited about how great it was.

And that champion battle animatic was amazing.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Shwoo posted:

That card was actually given out for the second movie, for some reason, at least in Australia. I remember because I broke my wrist on the trampoline later that day because I was so excited about how great it was.

It was given out for the second movie because the card itself made an appearance in it! It was tangentially related to the main antagonist's motivations or something.

Quoting this because if anyone hasn't read Metroixer's LP then they definitely should get on that right away. Oh and Metroixer, seems Viddler took down some of the content for your LP, do you have the source videos available so they can be hosted elsewhere?

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Fun times DJB, Pokemon LPs on SA are a rare thing but they're always done well.

I remember catching all 151 back in the day, it was totally worth going to the event just for bragging rights. I can't quite remember but wasn't the representative for the UK events the same guy who wrote that horrible guide, I might be wrong but seriously that loving guide was the worst. Anybody else ever have one of those Nintendo Official Magazine guides? How could they do that to us children back then? you'd expect that from that kid in the playground but not from something official that cost Ł3.50.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

evilspacehopper posted:

Fun times DJB, Pokemon LPs on SA are a rare thing but they're always done well.

I remember catching all 151 back in the day, it was totally worth going to the event just for bragging rights. I can't quite remember but wasn't the representative for the UK events the same guy who wrote that horrible guide, I might be wrong but seriously that loving guide was the worst. Anybody else ever have one of those Nintendo Official Magazine guides? How could they do that to us children back then? you'd expect that from that kid in the playground but not from something official that cost Ł3.50.

I had that guide and read it so much that I memorized all 150 Pokémon and their Pokédex number :allears:
I've always been extremely careful with my stuff, even as a kid, and yet the thing now looks like the Dead Sea Scrolls. That's how much I read it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Loved this LP, thank you very much for it! Around when I did my Surfin' Rhydon picture, I made another drawing for the thread, combining my favorite Pokemon with my favorite band (The Protomen). There's another song parody to go along with it, if DJB doesn't mind, but considering what happened last time I put one up, I don't want to start another... thing.

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Your Computer posted:

The totally awesome and in no way dumb :colbert: card Ancient Mew:

..was absolutely tied to the movie, but I don't think an in-game Mew was ever given out.

I have way fond memories of that card, seeing as I got it after winning a contest in the Norwegian Club Nintendo magazine (my sister and I made like, 50 Pokémon in model clay) and getting to see the pre-premiere of the movie. :allears:

Why is the text on that card written in futhark runes?

By the way. Congratulations on 152 DJB

Captain Aardvark fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 5, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Aardvark posted:

Why is the text on that card written in futhark runes?

Because it's cool, obviously :v:
The best thing is that, as a Norwegian we actually had classes on runes in primary school :norway:

vvv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjDFWsfhLls :kiddo: vvv

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 5, 2014

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Because it's cool, obviously :v:
The best thing is that, as a Norwegian we actually had classes on runes in primary school :norway:

Yes. And then we had to read sagas written in old norse in highschool. Well not written in runes, but more like icelandic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Easily my favorite times in school, but we had an eccentric teacher who would stop class to talk about his cats.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014
I'm a bit late on this, but I was catching up on the LP. In episode 5 you mentioned that Magikarp's evolution is a reference to a Chinese legend where a carp swims into a waterfall and comes out a dragon.

This is actually how you take a picture of Gyarados in Pokemon Snap. You have to knock a Magikarp into a waterfall, and when it comes out, it'll be a Gyarados.

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pokemon Snap is the best game in the series, incidentally.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there need to be more games like it. Give us a neat gimmick, too, like augmented reality with Pokemon encounter rates somehow affected by your location.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neurion posted:

Give us a neat gimmick, too, like augmented reality with Pokemon encounter rates somehow affected by your location.
Nothing but Zubats indoors.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Nothing but Zubats indoors.

When they use Supersonic it scrambles up your AR device and makes it look like you're running into walls and poo poo. Alternatively, if this is some visor/headset AR gizmo, it scrambles your view so that you actually run into walls and poo poo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The People's Champion was my favorite part of the LP.

Poor Darren. Nobody's going to get his schtick outside Unova.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I've sent an email to baldurk last month, asking his to archive this LP. Can he still do so if I close the thread?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mr DJB posted:

I've sent an email to baldurk last month, asking his to archive this LP. Can he still do so if I close the thread?
That is no problem. He can even (LP) archive threads from the SA archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Sweet!

• Locked thread