Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Hello there! Welcome to the world of POKéMON!
My name is DJB! People call me a GODDAMN NERD!
This world is inhabited by creatures called POKéMON!
For some people, POKéMON are pets. Others use them for fights.
Myself... I will be catching all 151 of them in a video let's play.
What? Where are you going? Was it something I said?

Pokémon (Pocket Monsters) is a multi-billion dollar franchise created by Satoshi Tajiri of Game Freak in 1996. Inspired by his insect collecting hobby, Tajiri built the games around collecting a number of monsters, raising them, and having them battle one another. With a number of video games, trading cards and an ongoing anime series (I don't think it will ever end) Pokémon became a worldwide phenomenon in the late 90s and still maintains a huge fanbase.

The original games, Pokémon Red and Green, were only released for the Game Boy in Japan. They were very buggy and had comically ugly sprites :japan:. One year later, an updated version of Red was released worldwide alongside Pokémon Blue - the two games most people are familiar with.

However, the release of two near-identical games was actually a marketing tactic. Certain Pokémon were exclusive to Red or Blue, so the only known method of actually obtaining all 150 in-game Pokémon by oneself was to own both games, two Game Boys and a Link Cable (with the 151st being distributed at special events). This along with the slogan: "Gotta Catch 'Em All", made Game Freak a lot of money.

In this LP, which employs very heavy editing, I'll be playing a rom hack of Pokémon Red (Western Version) which completely remaps Wild Pokémon so that it's possible to catch them all. It also tries to keep things fresh by boosting the levels of opponents to amp up the difficulty. Kaizo Pokémon. I hope you enjoy it!

:psyduck: :psypop: :psyduck:

Charles Used Dig by SystemLogoff

Rodney Used Surf by azren

??? by BattleCattle

Mr DJB fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Wow, this is surprisingly good. I'm a little disappointed that you picked Red over Blue but I will live.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Just in case people are bad at reading the OP, remember that this was approved by Geop and has been posted in the 2007 thread for a while so it's not a dump.

Also it's pretty super good so despite the poo poo thread tag it's pretty good.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
A Pokemon LP without someone reading the text or having one of those awful UIs. Good job, I'm going to enjoy this. Looking forward to watching all of these.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
In the first video you were talking about no strong bug pokemon in the first gen. Wouldn't scyther or pinser count as strong bug pokemon? And if I am not mistaken, don't ghost pokemon counter physic as well?

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

In the first video you were talking about no strong bug pokemon in the first gen. Wouldn't scyther or pinser count as strong bug pokemon? And if I am not mistaken, don't ghost pokemon counter physic as well?

Scyther looks cool as hell, but his limited movepool leaves him ineffective without a Swords Dance and it's hard for him to survive a hit. Scizor steps it up.
Pinsir's attack and defense power are great, but it's special attack/defense and speed are both miniscule. It's really easy to kill with fire.

And due to a coding error in Generation 1 of Pokemon, Psychics are immune to Ghosts when they're supposed to be weak to them. Also there aren't any decent Ghost type attacks in Gen 1. And the only three Ghost Pokemon are are also Poison types so they're weak to Psychics. Jargon aside, what I'm saying is that Pokemon Green, Red, Blue, Yellow and Stadium are really unbalanced.

Mr DJB fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 23, 2014

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

"Paul. It's a boring name for a boring pokemon. Eat it, nerds."

:(

Saying that, I heartily approve of your "give them normal names" naming scheme, since it's what I went with for Y. Haven't caught up with the rest of the LP yet, but I'm hoping that Dugtrio gets called Douglas.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hey, a Pokemon LP that isn't terrible. Been awhile since we've had one of those.

Anyway, Pikachu may suck, but Raichu is great and I will not hear otherwise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wait, how did you capture Squirtle?

edit: Nevermind, modded.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Should have called the Oddish Wendy, as in Wendy the Weed. :3:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
So much nostalgia :allears: All that's left are the jarring color transitions between routes and cities that came from playing on a Game Boy Color.

This is way more entertaining than it has any right to be, keep up the good work!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'm enjoying the nostalgia and the suffering. Thanks, DJB.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If there is anything I've learned from watching this and twitch it is that nostalgia is a powerful drug and taints everything.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Venusaur is the best starter and one of the best Pokemon.

gently caress Charmander. :colbert:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Not in this generation, the best is obviously Blastoise. I can go into detail.

I already don't like this ROM hack if the rival picks a starter and then suddenly has Eevee in the battle. Even if this is a difficulty hack, that just doesn't make sense. Good thing this is a difficulty hack though - real players don't need ROM hacks to catch them all :smuggo:

Oh, and Pokémon Kaizo Blue actually exists, but it's really bad. (Surprise?)

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

kalonZombie posted:

gently caress Charmander. :colbert:

Ephraim225 posted:

Not in this generation, the best is obviously Blastoise. I can go into detail.

You are both so wrong its not even funny.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I agree that Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle are all equally terrible starters to use in these games. That just leaves :japan:

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
The autism deep within me requires me to point out that aside from Ekans, Pokemon with Body Slam can also paralyze Ground types.

I gotta say I was checking back frequently in the 2007 thread to see DJB's videos, glad to see this run get its own thread. I've always been the kind of guy to give my Pokemon names like Paul and Benjamin, so it's good to see that I'm not the only one.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

For anyone fully caught up, here's a video where I earn the fourth badge!

POKERMAN 151 - PART 7

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Icecream Jane posted:

Yeah, the obvious choice is to put up with whatever crap Oak forces you to start with until you can finally catch a Pidgey, the TRUE best starting Pokemon.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

On why you have to speak to the Lift Key Rocket again:

In the older Pokemon games, the, for lack of a better word, scripting system was kind of rough. Trainer battles that are called from line-of-sight could not really do much. The line-of-sight trainers all pretty much took these things as inputs:
  • Introduction Text Pointer
  • Trainer Number [Basically Sprite/Pokemon list]
  • After Battle Text Pointer
Then it set the flag associated with the trainer so you could not battle him/her again.

So, since all you could do after a battle was show text, the lift key was not automatically dropped. When you talked to Lift Key Rocket again, he does a separate script to reveal the hidden item sprite.

Edit: This is why Gym Leaders are normal scripts, not line-of-sight battles. (Get a TM at the end). This is also why Geo drops his item right after his battle, he's a script. :science:

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 24, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I always thought that Squirtle's "Water Gun" attack was him shooting a literal water gun. Until I watched the cartoon, I thought this to be true. I was a young child.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I always thought that Squirtle's "Water Gun" attack was him shooting a literal water gun. Until I watched the cartoon, I thought this to be true. I was a young child.

You aren't alone there. I took most attacks literally, and I imagine a few people would have. I thought confusion was the pokemon doing something weird and then slapping it's opponent when it let it's guard down.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Is there a way of finding out the specific changes to the game? Such as the new stats on the changed Pokemon?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is there a way of finding out the specific changes to the game? Such as the new stats on the changed Pokemon?

I don't think there is any changes to the monsters, just the wild encounter table and the list of trainer Pokemon. Since it's not hardcoded per game, you can slot in any mon into any position without problem.

As an easy to see example for wild Pokemon [Classic Map]:

He really cranked that encounter slider all the way up...

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Mr DJB posted:

For anyone fully caught up, here's a video where I earn the fourth badge!

POKERMAN 151 - PART 7

I see you are almost succumbing to the time-tested Red and Blue strategy of trying to come up with interesting match-ups, realising it's all too much work to bother, and ending up relying on your overleveled starter for all battles.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

As a child, I played Blue in French, and Silver in Japanese. I didn't know one single word in either of those languages. I never understood anything that was going on but I played the hell out of both games :allears:

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 24, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'll back you up on the Gamecube games. Pokemon Colosseum is one of my favorite games of all time.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
There is a perfectly valid reason for Duduo to be able to fly: this.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Cyphoderus posted:

As a child, I played Blue in French, and Silver in Japanese. I didn't know one single word in either of those languages. I never understood anything that was going on but I played the hell out of both games :allears:

Being fluent in french I made the bold choice to play my Y version in french, since they finally gave you the ability to choose a language rather than making you buy a whole different cartridge and deal with region-locking. There were some benefits, since breeding with different nationality Pokemon increases shiny chance (plus some other quirks) but for the most part it just meant that I don't know the english names for any of the new Pokemon, and using guides was really difficult when I got stuck since the city names are not even remotely translatable, for the most part. Also, the guy who tells you IVs says completely different things; a perfect stat in English is something like "It can't be better!" while in french it translates to "It's fantastic!" Very misleading.

I don't recommend it.

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 24, 2014

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Just something I wanted to leave here before going to bed.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Oh, well then no wonder Colosseum is a better game than X/Y. :agesilaus:

Still playing catch-up with the videos, but I'm two videos in and I swear if you say the word "Kaizo" one more time I'll go into lengthy rants about Kaizo Blue--

Is that a Dratini on route 3?!

This is worse than Kaizo Blue, wow.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
Holy poo poo I'm so amped for this. I had Blue growing up and my best friend had Red, but we just couldn't stand the tedium of having to find and trade and grind for everything. Godspeed, DJB :patriot:.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr DJB posted:

Just something I wanted to leave here before going to bed.

I wish this was an actual quote.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well it might not be something he actually said.

And don't worry, Giovanni isn't too mysterious these days.

:eng101:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
If possible, can we keep the Meowth in the team? That was always my favourite pokemon in the game :3

Crosspeice posted:

Well it might not be something he actually said.

And don't worry, Giovanni isn't too mysterious these days.

:eng101:

Totes normal!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Why is he dressed like he's in a marching band?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So what's the current count of Pokemon as of the last episode?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Mr DJB posted:

Why is he dressed like he's in a marching band?

They give you a full costume wardrobe when you get approved as a gym leader. It's standard issue.
(spoilers for the current 20+ years old game being LP'ed :v:)

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

So what's the current count of Pokemon as of the last episode?

I dunno, but in terms of the raw recorded footage, I think I have 117 at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Icecream Jane posted:

Neither Squirtle nor Charmander can abuse a glitch that causes leech seed to get exponentially stronger every turn, therefore they are inferior starters.

Also Venusaur is a fuckin' dinosaur, which is rad as hell.

• Locked thread