Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i was always confused as to how Tim gets to be the champion. He loses so somehow he sneaks into the champions room and is officially recognized by Lance to be the Champion even though he didn't actually do it?

Cause he was the champion. He beat Lance and so was champion for the five seconds before you got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
That was fantastic. Kudos.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So then Grandpa is yelling at him for not getting a flawless victory for his first time through the Pokemon League as well as "not respecting his pokemon"? That's pretty high loving standards for a 10-11 year old kid.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So then Grandpa is yelling at him for not getting a flawless victory for his first time through the Pokemon League as well as "not respecting his pokemon"? That's pretty high loving standards for a 10-11 year old kid.

No, it's just the latter, and that he lost his title of Champion immediately after getting it because of that.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
That was brilliant. :allears:

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Professor Oak isn't a very good grandparent. Look at the beginning of the game, when he forgot his grandson's name.

I actually feel really sorry for the rival. Especially if you believe that fan-theory about his Raticate dying on the SS Anne.

Poor Gary/Blue/Tim :(

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
That was a wonderful animation. :3:

I'm a bit disappointed though in the Champion's team. Pidgeot and Fearow on the same team feels like a handicap at these final stages of the game.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I was not expecting that final fight, that was brilliant.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That was a great animation at the end. :3: Nice work!

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Blizzard attack. :allears:

This LP has been pretty fun to follow. Looking forward to the last video, where you do what I never could; actually get all 150 of the little bastards.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:golfclap: That was excellent. A real :master:

TripleWipe45 did great work with that animation, and the LP itself has been great. I'll be looking forward to this final video.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Haha, that final battle was awesome.

The big question remaining is, are you gonna wuss out and use that masterball?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That Zeke was cute as hell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That whole scene was cute as hell, but yeah the birds especially.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Rodney is a badass. Any plans to give the second generation a similar treatment?

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Utter genius! :3:

Triple Wipe 45
Nov 23, 2013

BEAR HELL
the bears are truly unlimited
Thank you everyone for the nice remarks on my animatic. It was super fun to do. And it's probably no coincidence Zeke is adorable--I love drawing little fat birds.

Here's a closeup of the drawing of Zeke.

Either way, the LP episode itself was very good in how it covered the Elite Four without drawing things out. That's what I like a lot about this LP, it doesn't show literally everything ever in the game!

DJB is awesome. Just FYI.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
What level pokemon did Tim have? I'm guessing all 100?

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
It's over!

POKERMAN 151 - PART 15

Hope you enjoyed the LP everyone! Thanks Admiral H. Curtis for re-explaining Missingno to me.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You had it almost right, except it's based on your Trainer Name and not OLD MAN.

I watched this last night, so I doodled this up to help explain it with pictures.

Great work on the Let's Play. It's one of the best I've watched in a while. :3:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Isn't Mewtwo back on top now, over Arceus, with his Mega Evolution's increased stat total?

Also Miranda Hart is great! That made me happy.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 4, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mega Mewtwo has a total of 780, surpassing Arceus's paltry 720, so yet again, it is the most powerful Pokemon in existence.

Until next generation, probably.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

You had it almost right, except it's based on your Trainer Name and not OLD MAN.

I watched this last night, so I doodled this up to help explain it with pictures.

*snip*

Great work on the Let's Play. It's one of the best I've watched in a while. :3:

To add to this, that actually isn't Missingno, it's `M, a separate glitch Pokémon! :eng101:

Missingno is called so because his name is literally Missingno:

There's a treasure trove of fascinating info on these glitch Pokémon over at the Bulbapedia wiki:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon

Also, I want to add that this was a wonderful LP and I hope to see even more from you in the future, DJB!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this LP well done. And you finally caught my most favorite of all Pokemon, Missingno. Or his slightly glitchier cousin at any rate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All the points I was going to make were beaten by others (the mistake with glitch Pokemon, Mewtwo being now on top of the BST chain with its Mega forms), so I will just say that I really enjoyed this entire thing, so thank you, DJB! I was a bit hesistant to watch at first because a video Pokemon LP sounded like the most boring thing ever, but you managed to make this interesting and entertaining for the entire run, so good job!

Ending it with glitches is the only true way to send off Pokemon Red/Blue. It is the best part of how weird Gen 1 was.

Also, since I didn't get to post between the last two episodes, really good job on the animation, Triple Wipe 45! It was really cute and super-enjoyable to watch.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
If I recall correctly, there was a single event in a very specific part of the US that offered a Mew up to people fairly early on in the game's existence. I read about it either in Nintendo Power or Pokemon Power, but regardless of where I found it, I learned of an event I could never go to myself. This was back when nobody actually had a (working) method of catching Mew without a gameshark, and the gameshark codes were their own brand of weird and gave you Mews with the stats of the wild pokemon of the area.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wasn't Mew given out as part of some promotion in the states? I remember that dumb Mew trading card everyone had, I think they were both tied to the movie.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wasn't Mew given out as part of some promotion in the states? I remember that dumb Mew trading card everyone had, I think they were both tied to the movie.

The totally awesome and in no way dumb :colbert: card Ancient Mew:

..was absolutely tied to the movie, but I don't think an in-game Mew was ever given out.

I have way fond memories of that card, seeing as I got it after winning a contest in the Norwegian Club Nintendo magazine (my sister and I made like, 50 Pokémon in model clay) and getting to see the pre-premiere of the movie. :allears:

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Cheez posted:

If I recall correctly, there was a single event in a very specific part of the US that offered a Mew up to people fairly early on in the game's existence. I read about it either in Nintendo Power or Pokemon Power, but regardless of where I found it, I learned of an event I could never go to myself. This was back when nobody actually had a (working) method of catching Mew without a gameshark, and the gameshark codes were their own brand of weird and gave you Mews with the stats of the wild pokemon of the area.

I remember Toys R Us had one where they gave out sticker sheets, and if your sticker sheet had a picture of a Mew behind one of the stickers, you'd win. I had a friend working at Toys R Us, so he hooked me up with a Mew for my Blue cartridge that had all 151 caught "legitimately" (I was working nights at the time, and had nothing better to do. I bought a blue cart and a red cart, a link cable, and borrowed a game boy from a coworker. I can't tell you how many hours I spent starting a new game on one cart, and playing to the point where I could trade 3 of each of the starters off to the other cart, so I could evolve them all, and have all 151 of the pokemon actually in boxes on my blue cart. So many hours wasted!).

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
The one use I had for Missingno as a child was that encountering it did something funky to your items- specifically the sixth item in your bag got an arbitrarily large number of copies made. Some people used this for Rare Candies, but that was too much cheating for my small mind, and I was an impatient son of a gun, so I just got infinite Master Balls instead.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I remember the promotional event for getting a Mew came to Norway, but I was a teenager and I felt like I was too old to attend, but a current club Nintendo magazine offered people to send in their cartridges and they'd give Mew to everyone who paid for postage, so I did and got one for both my Red and Yellow cartridge, and I got a little card that had the unique trainer ID for those Mew's. Both trainers were called NORWAY, but the numbers were different.

I later lost one of them, unsure if I still have the other.

Oh dear, looks like I might have left it on the Stadium game and I no longer have a working N64. :ohdear:

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 4, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for the LP, it was a fun watch.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
This was fun. And yeah, I totally broke my Red Cartridge getting Missingno. Good times.

desshar
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the lp, it was quite good especially the DJB vs. Tim fight. It was neat seeing something done that my 10-year old self could never hope to have accomplished.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
Thanks for the vids, and congratulations on catching them all, Mr. DJB. You've now completed the first step to catching MewThree!

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Thanks DJB for somehow making a video LP of Pokemon work. I found out that my Pokemon yellow cartridge has a problem with the PCs so that it'll randomly delete the Pokemon inside of them and replace everything with random glitch Pokemon, so I can have an entire team of Eldritch abominations if I wanted :v:

The adorable animation was great as well, I look forward to your next LP!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks for showing us all what it takes to become a true Pokemon master. I also really loved the animation at the end.

A few years ago I also decided to go back and try to catch the original 151. I had made so much progress, caught all but one. But it was not Mew that I was missing; I had already managed to catch one of those through a glitch. No, it was Tauros I couldn't catch. No matter how many times I went through that safari zone, no matter how many balls I threw, I just could not catch one. Ash caught an entire herd of these drat Tauros and I couldn't even get one to complete my Pokedex. Then to make things worse, the internal battery died, so now my quest will never be completed, all because of one stupid bull.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dunno about the States, but here in the UK there were two events touring the country that would download Mew onto your cart, the first one was a tournament where you had to win 3 matches against other players, then beat the representative with his team that included a level 100 Mew, and if you beat him they'd give you a Mew.

Later on they did another tour where anyone could get it just by standing in line, and it was coupled with a demo for Pokemon Snap that you could play on a big stage in front of people.

I got Mew at that first event, and was temporarily a Year (or Grade) 5 superstar for being the first kid to have all 151 legit.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Here's the original layout of the cave, as I promised:

Also this was on the front page of Imgur, and wow it's relevant the the last video:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Umm, it sure takes a lot of creativity to go from the garbled mess the fusion thing gave to that drawing. If anything, it looks more like a screwed-up Snorlax to me...

Actually, since people are writing about how Mew events went in their countries, might as well write my own. In Argentina...we never got Mew at all. You wanted 100% completition? gently caress you! Needless to say, this is still true as of Gen VI, but thankfully wifi has solved this problem quite nicely.

It was even worse because one magazine I read (which I can't even remmeber what it was, was it LA Nintendo Power?) pointed out this great event to get Mew, and got kid me all excited...in Mexico. Which is kind of far for most of Latin America.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 5, 2014

• Locked thread