Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

kalonZombie posted:

Neither Squirtle nor Charmander can abuse a glitch that causes leech seed to get exponentially stronger every turn, therefore they are inferior starters.

Also Venusaur is a fuckin' dinosaur, which is rad as hell.

All three starter have access to broken, glitchy Gen 1 moves.

Venusaur has Toxic Leech Seeds, which is devastating, but only if you live long enough to set it up.
Charizard has Fire Spin (fire type wrap) which will tear apart any slower Pokemon and had to be nerfed massively from Gold and Silver.
Blastoise can be taught Blizzard. In Gen 1, this means tons of damage, unreasonably high accuracy and a decent chance of freezing. (Basically a OHKO)

All in all, pick the one you think looks coolest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well in the japanese versions, Blizzard had a 30% chance of freezing, brought down to 10% because it was obviously broken, but kept the 90 accuracy until the next gen.

So yeah, Blastoise is pretty broken in Red and Green, Blizzard also makes Tauros one of the best Pokemon this gen, as it also has STAB Hyper Beam and Earthquake. Very few Pokemon stood up to that.

God I'm such a nerd... drat your clever trap Mr DJB

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Man generation 1 was one hell of a mess. By this point I'm surprised that any remnant of its properties (namely stat builds of a lot of Pokemon) are still present.

I am very much of the opinion to completely rework the mechanics of the entire thing and give the middle finger to past precedent. Make Espeon, Umbreon, and Leafeon use the Sun, Moon, and Leaf stones. Make 3-stage evolutions a universal norm to where at each stage, a Pokemon is at least as competitively viable as the rest of that stage. Of course this means some Mega Evolutions like...Pinsir's would be axed as it ought to have a proper evolved form that then gets its own Mega.

...I actually hadn't known about speed affecting critical hits in Generation 1 and that's one idea I actually think should be brought back, if only because it seems odd to me that in and of itself Speed doesn't do anything, only when compared to another Pokemon's speed stat. But then there's probably a reason they axed it in the first place.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Gyra_Solune posted:

I am very much of the opinion to completely rework the mechanics of the entire thing and give the middle finger to past precedent. Make Espeon, Umbreon, and Leafeon use the Sun, Moon, and Leaf stones. Make 3-stage evolutions a universal norm to where at each stage, a Pokemon is at least as competitively viable as the rest of that stage. Of course this means some Mega Evolutions like...Pinsir's would be axed as it ought to have a proper evolved form that then gets its own Mega.

I agree and it seems like Gamefreak is slowly catching on to that as well if X/Y is any indication. Several Pokémon got small adjustments to their base stats and they finally fixed some of the obvious errors like Feint Attack (typo'd as Faint Attack in Gen 2) and Azurill changing gender during evolution (because they assigned different male/female ratio values to Azurill and Marill).

Maybe in another ten years we'll finally have a Nidoqueen that can actually breed!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

kalonZombie posted:

Venusaur is the best starter and one of the best Pokemon.

gently caress Charmander. :colbert:

Kalon knows what's up.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I feel like a lame rear end in a top hat saying this but I think all 3 are pretty cool, in all of their forms. :unsmith:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I agree and it seems like Gamefreak is slowly catching on to that as well if X/Y is any indication. Several Pokémon got small adjustments to their base stats and they finally fixed some of the obvious errors like Feint Attack (typo'd as Faint Attack in Gen 2) and Azurill changing gender during evolution (because they assigned different male/female ratio values to Azurill and Marill).

Maybe in another ten years we'll finally have a Nidoqueen that can actually breed!

All these silly weird things, we clearly need like some sort of definitive fangame that is all 'gamefreak this is how it should be done'.

...now how does Pokemon Africa (and also a bit of Arabia) split into three subregions sound?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This is about as solid as a Pokemon video LP could ever be. I'm loving the trivia, and the fact that the hack actually poses a challenge.

There is another hack I used on a recent playthrough, which updates Pokemon Red with the colour artwork from Gold, Silver, and Crystal. It can be found here, but I'm not suggesting you apply it for your LP, since I don't know if they're properly compatible.

Besides, I'm glad you're going with grayscale, rather than the horrible Super Game Boy/Game Boy Color palette that it originally supported. I'm looking forward to a Gen 2 LP if you decide to do one, since it's still my favourite in the series. Maybe you could make things a bit easier for yourself by just trying to get the 100 new Pokemon.

E: By the way, did anyone else assume that you could evolve certain Pokemon, such as Diglett, Magnemite, Koffing, and Starmie, by combining Pokemon together? Either their evolutions were really lazily designed, or it may have been a scrapped mechanic. It didn't help that other series like Dragon Quest Monsters did have you combine creatures to make new ones.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 25, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The color hack should be able to be patched over this hack without issue. I can't see this hack touching any freespace that was used for the color hack. As always though, make a backup if your try it.

@Sned: Way back when I was a kid, I thought two players had to trade the same Pokemon to get it. Two Diglettes -> Dugtrio.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Let's get spooky!

POKERMAN 151 - PART 8

And for those of you who haven't seen it, here's my video on Pokémon creepypasta with Slowbeef, EntranceJew and Micolithe.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Wow,the ROM hacker must be incompetent to gently caress up trade evolutions, that totally sucks. I assume that means the others are broken,too?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mr DJB posted:

Scyther looks cool as hell, but his limited movepool leaves him ineffective without a Swords Dance and it's hard for him to survive a hit. Scizor steps it up.
Pinsir's attack and defense power are great, but it's special attack/defense and speed are both miniscule. It's really easy to kill with fire.

And due to a coding error in Generation 1 of Pokemon, Psychics are immune to Ghosts when they're supposed to be weak to them. Also there aren't any decent Ghost type attacks in Gen 1. And the only three Ghost Pokemon are are also Poison types so they're weak to Psychics. Jargon aside, what I'm saying is that Pokemon Green, Red, Blue, Yellow and Stadium are really unbalanced.

As I recall, there weren't any quality Bug-type attacks either. So a well trained Psychic pokemon could steamroll drat near anything except another Psychic type.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
That Rocker was just making sure he had proper grounding when he was working with electricity. :v:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
As a side note with dragon pokemon, they are hosed in Gen 1. Not really because they're bad, but because they have only one dragon move in Gen 1: dragon rage. However, dragon rage is one of those moves that deals 40 damage every time, and doesn't take into consideration the STAB bonus or if its super effective. It's not that big of deal though, since dragon moves are only super effective against other dragon types, and the only other dragons is the Dragonnite line, but its still really stupid that there's only one dragon move, and its not really a dragon move except in name alone. Just a stronger sonic boom.

flerp fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 25, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Now I'm curious: Besides the 4 legendaries, which Pokemon haven't you seen by this point (it's obviously not one of the first 68)?

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Broenheim posted:

As a side note with dragon pokemon, they are hosed in Gen 1. Not really because they're bad, but because they have only one dragon move in Gen 1: dragon rage. However, dragon rage is one of those moves that deals 40 damage every time, and doesn't take into consideration the STAB bonus or if its super effective. It's not that big of deal though, since dragon moves are only super effective against other dragon types, and the only other dragons is the Dragonnite line, but its still really stupid that there's only one dragon move, and its not really a dragon move except in name alone. Just a stronger sonic boom.

Agility, Wrap and Thunder Wave are all Dragonite ever need to kill any/everything.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I thought trade evolutions were changed to level evolutions for this hack? Or was that one of the other ones Twitch played?

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Twitch actually played the vanilla game. They thought the were playing 151 like I am, but they were actually playing a hack that adds "151" to the title screen and does nothing else.

Let's be honest though, we are incredibly lucky that they weren't playing this kaizo bullshit.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
I just went and checked, the hack did more than possibly messing around with trade evolutions, this trade was originally a Slowbro for a Lickitung. There wasn't an in-game trade for a Kadabra, so maybe that sort of trade evolution never worked in the first place!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mr DJB posted:

Twitch actually played the vanilla game. They thought the were playing 151 like I am, but they were actually playing a hack that adds "151" to the title screen and does nothing else.

Let's be honest though, we are incredibly lucky that they weren't playing this kaizo bullshit.

Then it must have been one of the other games. I know for sure they played one that replaced all the trade evolutions with level evolutions.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm pretty sure that the trade would not have worked in the base game, I'm pretty sure that the ingame trades are on a totally different system than player trades.

I'm too tired to poke the disassembly of red tonight to double check though.

edit: VBA-M or VBA-Link should be able to let you trade with yourself if you need to too get 151. You can totally open the same game save on each and just evolve them all day every day.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 25, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
At first I didn't understand what you meant by '2007 Thread' and thought you meant it was an actual LP you had started in 2007. I was about to call BS when you mentioned Twitch Plays Pokemon in your first video. 'That didn't happen in 2007!!'. Then I realized what you were actually talking about and it made sense.

Since you mention the 'Gotta Catch 'em All' slogan, I think it'd be good to point out that the Japanese slogan is 'Getto daze!' which means something to the effect of 'I got it/I got them' or 'Get it/Get them'. There's no underlying provocation in the slogan to get 'them all'. I brought up the difference with a Japanese friend and he said "You Americans are always so hardcore about everything. You have to get them all or you won't be satisfied. The Japanese slogan is more about the joy of catching each one. You should enjoy every Pokemon you catch, instead of just thinking about getting them all."

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm not sure I'd be on board with this, just because I abused this feature pretty heavily in the current generation. Nidoqueen and her previous forms, as well as all babies and legendaries, are part of an egg group called Undiscovered, which has some weird traits. Since the designers wanted legendary Pokemon to be more of a big deal and hoped to reduce soft-resetting for the PERFECT Zapdos/Mewtwo/etc, they forced all of the ones you capture to come with 3 perfect stats (IV = 31). They didn't do this for specific Pokemon, though, they did it for everything in the Undiscovered egg group. This means that Riolu (a baby Pokemon you can find in the wild) comes with 3 perfect stats every time, as do Nidorinas, and so on. Since most of the Undiscovered egg group can't breed, this is really only an issue for Riolu (and maybe any other available baby Pokemon?), because he evolves into something that can breed, and is in one of the broadest egg groups, allowing for his 3x perfect stats to be spread around thanks to the new breeding/inheritance mechanisms. I've never lamented not being able to breed a Nidoqueen, but I sure would miss easy 3x perfect wild Pokemon in future generations if they changed how this works.

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 25, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

I'm not sure I'd be on board with this, just because I abused this feature pretty heavily in the current generation. Nidoqueen and her previous forms, as well as all babies and legendaries, are part of an egg group called Undiscovered, which has some weird traits. Since the designers wanted legendary Pokemon to be more of a big deal and hoped to reduce soft-resetting for the PERFECT Zapdos/Mewtwo/etc, they forced all of the ones you capture to come with 3 perfect stats (IV = 31). They didn't do this for specific Pokemon, though, they did it for everything in the Undiscovered egg group. This means that Riolu (a baby Pokemon you can find in the wild) comes with 3 perfect stats every time, as do Nidorinas, and so on. Since most of the Undiscovered egg group can't breed, this is really only an issue for Riolu (and maybe any other available baby Pokemon?), because he evolves into something that can breed, and is in one of the broadest egg groups, allowing for his 3x perfect stats to be spread around thanks to the new breeding/inheritance mechanisms. I've never lamented not being able to breed a Nidoqueen, but I sure would miss easy 3x perfect wild Pokemon in future generations if they changed how this works.

This makes me so very happy that I caught all 151 Pokemon in middle school and more or less put the games down entirely after that. They're fun games to quickly romp through and enjoy grabbing fun critters, but good lord is the rabbit hole for maximizing stats, move combinations, type combinations, and so much other stuff way too deep.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Dirk the Average posted:

This makes me so very happy that I caught all 151 Pokemon in middle school and more or less put the games down entirely after that. They're fun games to quickly romp through and enjoy grabbing fun critters, but good lord is the rabbit hole for maximizing stats, move combinations, type combinations, and so much other stuff way too deep.

A bunch of my friends bought the newest version of the game and after beating it by going though all the gyms they focused on breeding. They stuck pennies in their analog sticks so they could run around in a circle hatching eggs in an attempt to get the best possible whatever. They did this for months.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Yeah, legit. Imma just go roll around with my Muk and Farfech'd and smack around dumb AI trainers all day thank you very much. None of this IV/EV nonsense here.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012

Mr DJB posted:

All three starter have access to broken, glitchy Gen 1 moves.

Venusaur has Toxic Leech Seeds, which is devastating, but only if you live long enough to set it up.

Never really had any trouble killing anything that couldn't one shot Venusaur because he also learned sleep powder, which gave you all the time in the world.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Competitive Pokemon players? Pennies under analogue sticks? Heh! I would never... ever...

:(

So while getting perfect IVs on your Pokemon is definitely a needless pain in the rear end, EV training in X/Y takes about 40 minutes if you play the football/soccer minigame, and 20 minutes if you wear a Macho Brace and beat up Hordes. Even quicker if you throw in some steroid abuse. I'd fully EV them on bus rides to/from work. It ain't that bad and gives you a nice stat boost for online battles. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about, don't worry it's just min-maxing poo poo.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mr DJB posted:

Competitive Pokemon players? Pennies under analogue sticks? Heh! I would never... ever...

:(

How about robotic devices to find shiny pokemon?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
This hack puts wild pokémon at levels above the ones which they're supposed to evolve, right? Doesn't this mean that once they evolve, they're on average worse than a vanilla mon of the same species, since they spent more levels in their lower-stat unevolved form? Or does it not work that way?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The terrifying thing about that video is after all that work he only has what 4 shinies to show for it? They're seriously that rare? All of the sudden the famous shiny Pidgey story makes a little more sense to me.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Getsuya posted:

The terrifying thing about that video is after all that work he only has what 4 shinies to show for it? They're seriously that rare? All of the sudden the famous shiny Pidgey story makes a little more sense to me.

Shinys aren't even more powerful then regular Pokemon anymore, just a different color (read: usually uglier). In Gen 2, a Pokemon being shiny was based on it's IVs, so if they were REALLY high they'd go all sparkle sparkle on you. This also meant that shinys were universally male, since for some dumb reason, gender is ALSO based on IV and higher IVs means male Pokemon. They changed how shinys work in Gen 3 to just a straight up random chance.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

This hack puts wild pokémon at levels above the ones which they're supposed to evolve, right? Doesn't this mean that once they evolve, they're on average worse than a vanilla mon of the same species, since they spent more levels in their lower-stat unevolved form? Or does it not work that way?

Nah, stats are recalculated upon evolution. In fact, it's sometimes advisable to stop a Pokemon evolving too early with B button, as unevolved Pokemon learn stronger moves at lower levels.

Getsuya posted:

They're seriously that rare? The famous shiny Pidgey story makes a little more sense to me.

It's a 1/8192 chance. That said, having a violent domestic-abusing fit over losing one is not acceptable.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mr DJB posted:

Nah, stats are recalculated upon evolution. In fact, it's sometimes advisable to stop a Pokemon evolving too early with B button, as unevolved Pokemon learn stronger moves at lower levels.

It's a 1/8192 chance. That said, having a violent domestic-abusing fit over losing one is not acceptable.

Which I believe has been lowered to 1/4192 for X/Y. Still rare but twice as likely! :suicide:

Worst part for me is that I found a shiny Pineco in a randomized run of Black and was unable to do anything to put it into a real cartridge.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I caught a shiny Zapdos in Leaf Green, although unfortunately its colour was just orange. Even if it doesn't appear too different, the screen flashes and sparkles fly out when they appear in battle, and they have stars in their stats screen.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

kalonZombie posted:

Shinys aren't even more powerful then regular Pokemon anymore, just a different color (read: usually uglier). In Gen 2, a Pokemon being shiny was based on it's IVs, so if they were REALLY high they'd go all sparkle sparkle on you. This also meant that shinys were universally male, since for some dumb reason, gender is ALSO based on IV and higher IVs means male Pokemon. They changed how shinys work in Gen 3 to just a straight up random chance.

Wasn't it actually low IVs in Gen 2? I thought that was the reason the red Gyarados is a really bad Gyarados.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Looking it up:

quote:

If a Pokémon's Speed, Defense, and Special IVs are all 10, and its Attack IV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be Shiny.

Since IVs only range from 0 to 15 in the first two generations, it's good but not great.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Trizophenie posted:

Wasn't it actually low IVs in Gen 2? I thought that was the reason the red Gyarados is a really bad Gyarados.

I'm pretty sure shinys were typically stronger. The story-based red Gyrados was just a weird exception I think.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Gyra_Solune posted:

All these silly weird things, we clearly need like some sort of definitive fangame that is all 'gamefreak this is how it should be done'.

...now how does Pokemon Africa (and also a bit of Arabia) split into three subregions sound?

Oh GOD yes. I want this soooo bad. Imagine- Pokemon based off of Benu birds and sphinxes and ghouls and maybe FINALLY a griffin Pokemon... Legendaries based off of Set! Or a pair based off of the nightly battles of Ra and Apophis! Some proper djinn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think what happened with the trade at the end of video 8 was that the ROM hacker mistakenly gave you a Kadabra named Alakazam. Also, it might only be possible for Pokemon to evolve in one way, at least in this generation, so a Pokemon can't evolve both by levelling, trading, or using an elemental stone.

• Locked thread