Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm pretty sure that the trade would not have worked in the base game, I'm pretty sure that the ingame trades are on a totally different system than player trades.

I'm positive there was a first gen NPC trainer in the original who gave you a Machoke who evolved into Machamp. It was pretty early-game, so I guess they did it to showcase the evolving-on-trade mechanic.

But I bet the romhacker made the four trade evolutions available as wild pokémon encounters as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That loving Sned posted:

I think what happened with the trade at the end of video 8 was that the ROM hacker mistakenly gave you a Kadabra named Alakazam. Also, it might only be possible for Pokemon to evolve in one way, at least in this generation, so a Pokemon can't evolve both by levelling, trading, or using an elemental stone.

Or, what I think: He gave you a Kadabra named Alakazam because he could not figure out why the trade was failing. It would have been super easy to just trade you an Alakazam straight up though, just a one byte change.

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm positive there was a first gen NPC trainer in the original who gave you a Machoke who evolved into Machamp. It was pretty early-game, so I guess they did it to showcase the evolving-on-trade mechanic.

But I bet the romhacker made the four trade evolutions available as wild pokémon encounters as well.

Not in Red/Blue, but it does exist in Yellow.

In fact, it makes we wonder if it's really just trading a Machamp in Yellow, and pretending it's a Machoke before.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 25, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

I've never lamented not being able to breed a Nidoqueen, but I sure would miss easy 3x perfect wild Pokemon in future generations if they changed how this works.

I'm pretty sure Nidoqueen would have to breed with Nidoking, and I know from personal experience that nothing breeds with Nidoking.

Please don't ask what experience.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure Nidoqueen would have to breed with Nidoking, and I know from personal experience that nothing breeds with Nidoking.

That was my favorite episode of the F Plus.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Alright everyone, I've actually played ahead and I'm standing right outside the gates of the Elite Four. I have five members in my permanent party, but need just one more.

Argue amongst yourselves. Who is it gonna be? Who's the most ballin' original Pokemon and why? The Pokemon with the best reason sticks with me for the final two videos.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Muk. Because there is no more noble a creature as a steaming pile of animated industrial waste.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Farfetch'd, because it's a samurai duck that's trying to make you eat it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kabutops, because trilobites had 250+ million years of being awesome and that wasn't enough.
Also, now they have huge sword-arms.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
The magikarp you buy from the guy outside Mt. Moon, because that particular magikarp is cooler than all the rest. Dude served me well as a gyarados, but you talked poo poo about him, so you're stuck with him as a magikarp. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nidoking posted:

Man, you REALLY need to get laid.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Kabutops has Scythes for hands, and was unjustly screwed out of early party time by poor planning.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Going with raichu, just to spite you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Farfetch'd, because it's a bird with a vegetable sword.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Parasect is a fungal colony wearing a cicada like a fancy coat. Its milky dead eyes tell you everything you need to know about this abomination of nature. Also it's awful, beat Lance with that!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Mr. Mime is a homeless man with make-up.

That's seriously it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Venusaur. Show off the absurdity of leech seed + toxic.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Porygon, because Porygon is a polygonal duck :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That trade Kadabrah named Alakazam. Eh, it's close enough right? :effort:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Broenheim posted:

Raichu owns

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
After looking at all the suggestions above, I find I have to agree.

So... Ditto.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
A̻b̭͚̰̻͎an̠̫̞̣̠̖d͎̙̰͕o̫͉̙n̥̪̝̣̰ ̫͔̠̻̝̯̖t͎̹h̯̙̪̼̦͖ͅe ͖̲̪͇̮̜͔law̪s̘̠͍͚͓ ̳͓͍̮̜̗o̩̪͇̯̣͍f͍̤ ̥̰g̤͖̮̬̝̮̞o͎̞̤̝̞d̫̺̞͖̘̩̙ ̻̼͓͕a̝̳͙̫̙ͅͅn̘̬͎̝̞d̹ ̙̜͎͔͚m̯̤a̝̭ͅn͔̰̖͓̟̺.̰ͅ

L̡̖̗̩̠̥͢͠e̳͚̤͎̰͉̤͎t̶̲̜̰͖͚̤͘͜ ̛̺͚̩̪̙̩̩̣̤t̸̢̩̩̠͖̫h́҉̵̮͍e̤̺̥̜̜̮̯̝͜ ͏̝͇̣͝v̺̲̰̗̘̞e͚͙̙͇̘͕͘ṛ̵̷̡̟̼̳̦̱ý̶͉̱̀ ̶̻͓̥̙̻̦̻c̷̠͕ǫ̷͉ḑ̳͢͝e̴̯̱͖̜̝ ̪̬̗ͅͅợ̙̹̀f̶̗͕͈͖̗̭́ ̴̤͎̖̞͝t͕͍̳̳̲̻h̴̬̬͝e̢̛̺͕͙͙̱̞̪͘ͅ ͖̤̝̺g̵͇̘̱͓͜a̴̻m̯͉͖̲̀͜͞ͅe̮͡ ̫̺͓̳͕͉̙͈͜͢q҉̶̖u̴̡̨̠̪á̶͙̮͈ͅk̶̶̹͎͇͞è̛͍̮ ̻͉͔͕̹̳̻̳̀̕a̖͖͎̳t̨̞̠̬̪̥ ̡̭̼͍͎͟y̱̟̼̠̝̖͉͜o͕͈͎̤u̢̯͇̰̙͍̹ͅͅr͙̘̘̦ ̶̷͔̭̭͍̠̟̟a̴͎p̸̨̥̬͇̺̙͕̯͔̣p͏̮͈̭̳͍ͅr̜̭̞͓̝̗͎ơ̼̪̞ą̵̛̖̫̭̲̯̲̜ͅc̯̬̟͉̣̯̜͜͡h̸̝̝.

U̙̹̖͍̳̰͖̠̠͔̙̭̿ͤ́ͧ̈ͯͬ̀̈́͠ͅs̲̦͕̭̼̰̎ͩ̄̽ͣ̂̀͡͠ͅĕ̡̔ͮ͌ͨ̓̐͒̆̊̀ͧ̓̔ͦ́͠҉̖͔̬̝͎̱̝͕͚̗̭͉̤ͅͅ ̶̵͛͐ͮ̓̽̍̉̄̈́̂͒̂͊͏̥̝̼̘̙̬̳̯͈̱͝M̷̡̼͔̣̱̫̬̰̓̆́̇͡i̴̡̨͙̪̣̯͍͈̱̠̬͈͇̳̱̥͚͉̹ͭ̔̅ͦ͗ͭ̐s̢̻̤̜̝̟̜̻̮̝̳͎̰̰̗̳͙̭͊͌̀͌̽͐ͥ̿́̀͞ͅͅṡ͒͂̒ͯ́͊̈́ͭ̇ͣ̔̎̆́̿͗̚͏̸̘̫̘̫̩̭̭͈̗͇̻̝͘͟ḯ̛ͧ̉̽̽̿͒̑͏̬͎̬͕̮̜͓͖͕̠̦͕̲̀͢n̸̡̧̰̤̜̦̼̮̼͛ͥ͐̊̈́͐ͦ͛ͪͫ͊ͬ̐ͮ̄̉ͨ̑͝g͑ͪ́̑ͭͤ̊̃̈́͏̯̠͎̗̩̬̯̹͖͕̞̦n̍ͪͤ̓҉̝̪̜̫̗̼͍̕oͩ͑̍ͪͣ̎͛̌͑͏́͏̭̖̘̘̝̰̤͙.̵̨͎̖͓̞͖̩ͮ͑͊̒̐ͫ͑͒ͮ͋̊̽̍ͪ̂̀

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ZeeToo posted:

After looking at all the suggestions above, I find I have to agree.

So... Ditto.

This is the best option. He is all the pokemon, after all!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Broenheim posted:

Raichu, not leveled, he will die first every battle. Revive after each E4. Show your hate.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I like Rhydon. It's a big fuckoff Rhinosaurus (not a typo) with a drill for a horn. Gotta have some other company in thinking Rhydon is a cool dude.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You've already got a Persian so you're about half the way to being Giovanni Mk. II. So, bring a Nidoking!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Clearly, either Venomoth or Pigeotto

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Lickitung.

Look at this dippy mother fucker.

He will crush anything you want him to. He's got Wrap, he has Body Slam for paralyzing the poor things in front of it, and he can learn a ton of poo poo from TMs. Ice Beam and Blizzard? Done. Toxic? Easy. Surf, Fire Blast, Earthquake, loving Fissure? He has you covered. He can fill any spot on your team with a great set of moves, and he's a badass mother fucker.

Don't just give the Elite Four a kicking.

Give them a licking.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Gotta be Ditto.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Porygon so you can give everyone in the E4 seizures as you go.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Since you went and evolved them all, Jolteon.

...What does you mean, biased?

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

The Steak Justice posted:

I like Rhydon. It's a big fuckoff Rhinosaurus (not a typo) with a drill for a horn. Gotta have some other company in thinking Rhydon is a cool dude.

I agree with this. He can even learn Fire Blast, Blizzard, AND Thunder! How can you not think that's cool?

Special stat, what's that? :downs:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
If you want someone ballin', it has to be Electrode.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Use Snorlax. If you're not using snorlax, it's not a real goon pokemon lp.

Cyphoderus posted:

This hack puts wild pokémon at levels above the ones which they're supposed to evolve, right? Doesn't this mean that once they evolve, they're on average worse than a vanilla mon of the same species, since they spent more levels in their lower-stat unevolved form? Or does it not work that way?

I used to believe this was the case for a long time, but stats are not arbitrary points given upon level up. They're calculated from the pokemon's level, species and ev/iv.

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Being fluent in french I made the bold choice to play my Y version in french, since they finally gave you the ability to choose a language rather than making you buy a whole different cartridge and deal with region-locking. There were some benefits, since breeding with different nationality Pokemon increases shiny chance (plus some other quirks) but for the most part it just meant that I don't know the english names for any of the new Pokemon, and using guides was really difficult when I got stuck since the city names are not even remotely translatable, for the most part. Also, the guy who tells you IVs says completely different things; a perfect stat in English is something like "It can't be better!" while in french it translates to "It's fantastic!" Very misleading.

I don't recommend it.

As a french person playing videogames in english my whole life, I heartily recommend playing games in French. It's really funny to see the differences, like how Tackle is named Charge (in french) and Charge (in english) is named Chargeur. I just wish you could swap languages in xy at any time like some other 3ds games.
It's also taught me dialect that I wasn't familiar with, like with Tail Whip - Mimi-queue, I learned that "mimi" apparently meaning "cute" ("mignon"?).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Take Jolteon, since he can telepor'.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Galick posted:

Lickitung.

He will crush anything you want him to. He's got Wrap, he has Body Slam for paralyzing the poor things in front of it, and he can learn a ton of poo poo from TMs. Ice Beam and Blizzard? Done. Toxic? Easy. Surf, Fire Blast, Earthquake, loving Fissure? He has you covered. He can fill any spot on your team with a great set of moves, and he's a badass mother fucker.

Give them a licking.

This because all of these legitimate reasons and also because I've never seen a Lickitung being used before.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Galick posted:

Lickitung.

Give them a licking.

Yeah, I'm going to go with Lickitung too. I had no idea he had access to so many awesome moves.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Lickitung eh?

Edit: NOPE, I'm fickle!! Going with Ditto!

Mr DJB fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 26, 2014

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Mr DJB posted:

All three starter have access to broken, glitchy Gen 1 moves.

Venusaur has Toxic Leech Seeds, which is devastating, but only if you live long enough to set it up.
Charizard has Fire Spin (fire type wrap) which will tear apart any slower Pokemon and had to be nerfed massively from Gold and Silver.
Blastoise can be taught Blizzard. In Gen 1, this means tons of damage, unreasonably high accuracy and a decent chance of freezing. (Basically a OHKO)

All in all, pick the one you think looks coolest.

Holy poo poo does that bring back memories. Fuckin' Fire Spin. In Gen I, it's a 70% accuracy 15 power move that takes a ton of time and is rarely worth it for you. For the CPU? Lethal, EVERY TIME.

Pokemon Stadium let you port in your GBA team. In my yellow version, I apparently missed the rival battle you could do on Route 22 (the early fight on that route that leads to the elite 4 later) and he got a Flareon instead of a lovely Jolteon. Now, Mewtwo is still a good pokemon today, but he was a god in Gen I, but even he couldn't kill Flareon in one hit (unless I had done Amnesia a few times earlier in the fight, but Flareon was often first in queue so I didn't get the chance).

Here's what would happen: Body slam, Mewtwo is paralyzed. Fire spin, Mewtwo is caught in fire spin. Fire spin, Mewtwo is caught in fire spin. Mewtwo is released from fire spin! Mewto is fully paralyzed. Fire spin

Now, I never played against the Jolteon team, so I don't know. Maybe Thunder Wave + Pin Missile could've been trouble, but I'd still take that any day compared to loving Fire Spin.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't pick the fire starter type is wrong. I don't mean opinion-wise. I mean like, morally and physically. You're wrong on an ontological level. You're a being that doesn't belong in this world, and the universe itself if repulsed by you. If you were an enemy in a table-top game, I would have to make a SAN check because I couldn't comprehend your existence. That's how wrong you are.

For example, in X and Y, there was a window where you could have starters from 3 different generations: An X/Y starter, a Gen I starter, and a free Torchic through an online promotion. Some people argued that it gave you a chance to diversify the team, having one fire, one water, and one grass starter. If you were human you would ignore these people and proceed to burn down everything with your team of 3 fire starters.

(Besides, Charmander is totally the right long-term pick in Gen I. poo poo against the early bosses, but you'll be up to your armpits in grass and water types. What fire types are you going to get? Red has Growlithe, which only gets Ember unless you delay evolving it until level 50 and piss away its stat growths (Blue doesn't see him AT ALL), and after that there's what? Magmar if you're Blue and remember to catch him at Cinnabar? Flareon, who sucks because he uses Attack stat even though all fire moves use Special? Moltres who gets Fire Spin as its only fire move?)

Random_Username fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 26, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Random_Username posted:

FIRE FIRE FIRE

You should probably check with a therapist before you burn down some place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

You should probably check with a therapist before you burn down some place.

Oh yeah? Well you should check with a therapist before you drown someone! Or...become a floral arranger?

• Locked thread