Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I loving love this bad-rear end Chaplain right here. :swoon:

Also that OSL on that Librarians palm is giving me ideas on what to do with a Necron Lord I converted to have a similar (but inferior) out stretched hand pose.

Good poo poo.

Edit: gently caress WHY DO I KEEP GETTING TOP OF THE PAGE. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I hope they bring back Tinboys and kickass Bloodaxes with Imperial advisors. (maybe Khorneboys?)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Slimnoid, those Deathwing are baller. The caution stripes are a great touch, and really give the army some good contrast.

Sykic posted:

Thanks. I keep telling myself to do that but I have this nightmare scenario stuck in my head where it'll all frost up and ruin the model :downs:

Just the bottled 'Ardcoat or whatever GW's calling it now would be great for this. I've never ever ever had gloss varnish frost up on me, as that only really happens with matte varnish when it's not shaken up enough or it's too humid. Even then, frosted matte varnish gets undone just by spraying gloss varnish on the surface again; it's probably the easiest problem to fix as far as painting problems go.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey, what was the chariot that had all the problems?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Fix posted:

Hey, what was the chariot that had all the problems?

The Burning Chariot because the passenger fires the weapons (as opposed to the actual Chariot firing them) and they are both Heavy and one is a Template so if the Chariot moves at all the passenger is unable to shoot one and has to snap fire the other. The only way to fix this is to make the passenger Relentless or move the weapons to part of the Chariot's weaponry.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 24, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

xutech posted:

I hope they bring back Tinboys and kickass Bloodaxes with Imperial advisors. (maybe Khorneboys?)

I hope they bring back mad boys for cool random table shenanigans and cyboars for being loving cyborg boars. I also hope model count or mob size has an impact on how they generate power dice in the psychic phase. As meh I am about the new edition, I am very excited for a new Ork book.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pacheeco posted:

The Burning Chariot because the passenger fires the weapons (as opposed to the actual Chariot firing them) and they are both Heavy and one is a Template so if the Chariot moves at all the passenger is unable to shoot one and has to snap fire the other. The only way to fix this is to make the passenger Relentless or move the weapons to part of the Chariot's weaponry.

Shooting with chariots posted:

When determining the required To Hit roll for any weapons fired by a Chariot model, use the Ballistic Skill on the Chariot's profile for any weapons mounted on the Chariot itself, and the Ballistic Skill on the rider's profile for any weapons wielded by the rider. In addition to the Chariot's weapons shooting, the rider can shoot any shooting weapon he himself is equipped with, counting as stationary even if the Chariot moved in the previous movement phase-the Chariot and rider must target the same unit though.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I just want better delivery methods to get my boyz into battle. Although having access to multiple FOC's sounds really fun.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

CyberLord XP posted:

I just want better delivery methods to get my boyz into battle. Although having access to multiple FOC's sounds really fun.

Unbound armies. Boyz in crusaders :black101:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So Vector Strike is better now. You lose one hit (it's d3 instead of d3+1) but it's now AP2 instead of AP3. Terminators and Riptides beware!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

AndyElusive posted:

Also that OSL on that Librarians palm is giving me ideas on what to do with a Necron Lord I converted to have a similar (but inferior) out stretched hand pose.

The OSL is easy...so long as you have an airbrush.

SRM posted:

Slimnoid, those Deathwing are baller. The caution stripes are a great touch, and really give the army some good contrast.

The caution stripe is really just to help differentiate squads, though over time I've grown fond of calling them TEAM gently caress SAFETY and ram them into the most dangerous things possible.

They usually die in the process, but not before they fist-gently caress whatever they decided needed to die :black101:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Fix posted:

*Chariot poo poo*

That's pretty cool although still incredibly embarrassing it took them this long to fix that. I wonder if shooty chariots will be something that pops up in the DE and Necron codexes.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

So Vector Strike is better now. You lose one hit (it's d3 instead of d3+1) but it's now AP2 instead of AP3. Terminators and Riptides beware!

It's only d3 against other flyers or FMCs who are flying.

Edit: is there a table in the book showing what armies can generate what psychic powers?

panascope fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 24, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Questions!

Conjuration:
Do they score (battle forged bonus too then?)
Do they (conjugated daemon units) get one free icon/instrument/champion upgrade?

Psykers:
So if I roll only two dice to manifest, get boxcars (6 & 6) I perils but I pass?
...Even if it's WC3 power?
...Even if they rolled one or two Deny the Witch of a 6?
So we do get a Primarus if we roll all powers on the lore?
Do Chaos Psykers 'marked-X' or 'Daemon of-X' get X's Primarus for free? (Never saw actual proof of these)

Allies:
Are the 'Desperate' and 'Come the Apocalypse' still scoring? Do the troops still get Objective Secured?
Is the 12" distance only in the deployment, then just the 'one eye open' check if within 6"?

Assault:
Move Though Cover now ignores the problem with -2" on assault, what about Initiative penalty?

Conjuration:
They score. As for having Objective Secured I'm not sure they do. Objective Secured applies to Troops choices chosen for that detachment, and while conjoured units may be troops on pg 133 it says they "count as part of the army of the player that has conjoured them as far as Victory Conditions and the rules for Victory Points are concerned." So I'd go with no.

They do, as long as you have the models and you get them for free. No upgrades past that though.

Psykers:
Yes, if its a WC1 or 2 power.

Nope, you didn't roll enough successes to get it off.

To Deny the Witch they need to roll as many or more denials as you did successes. So if you rolled double 6 and they only rolled one denial, the power goes through. If they rolled two, you get Denied. Note it doesn't mean the power failed though, if you make your successes and it gets denied it doesn't count as failed for nasty spell side effects.

Yes.

Yes.

Allies:

Nearly everything scores now, the only exceptions are:
- Swooping FMC, Zooming Flyer or unit embarked on a Zooming Flyer
- Has a special rule that says it never counts as scoring
- Is Falling Back (becomes scoring as soon as it Regroups)
- Is an unclaimed building or fortification (claimed buildings are scoring units for the claimer's army)

:siren:EVERYTHING ELSE IS SCORING:siren:

Those Troops still get Objective Secured as long as they're Troops choices in a Combined Arms or Allied detachment.

Yes.

Assault:

If at least one model has to charge through difficult terrain then the whole unit swings at I1, regardless of other modifiers and if they aren't slowed by it.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 24, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Psykers:

Do Chaos Psykers 'marked-X' or 'Daemon of-X' get X's Primarus for free? (Never saw actual proof of these)

Yes, it's called Chaos Psychic Focus.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from my local GW and they easily had a hundred preorders packed and stacked on the tables.

I think they'll still do fairly well with the new edition.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

The first thing to determine is whether or not you and your opponent will be using points limits

:stare:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Now that we've done away with the FOC, next in 8th edition dropping points altogether too!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Saalkin posted:

Now that we've done away with the FOC, next in 8th edition dropping points altogether too!

Don't want those bean counters getting in the way of this sweet-assed narrative.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Alright, guys-- what dollar value do we want to play our games at tonight? I'm thinking $800 games will take too long, and we might not finish. How does $500 sound tonight? If we play fast, we could even get two $500 games in!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Is that AU or US? I could do an $800AU game the same length as a $500US one. Maybe shorter.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently this book feels the need to apologize for daring to impose some kind of structure to your otherwise glorious and perfect narrative experience and must reiterate the basic social contract for sitting down and playing a game for each individual rule. Who the hell is going to be so sensitive to playing by points costs that it has to be presented as a negotiation?

"Alright everyone let's start the tournament, begin by debating the merits of points VS non-point play, each participants gets five minutes to state their case and if they don't agree the game can't be held and is a draw, go."

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Now that psykers have been changed, the gently caress are they doing to the runic weapon of space wolves?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This is interesting but apparently it clearly states in the rulebook that Unbound armies require opponents consent and in fact any army requires their consent.

GW everything has to be consensual.

Consensual Non-Consensual Warhammer 40k games (everything to do with)

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I will use my safeword the moment a Drop Pod lands next to my Leman Russ tanks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My safe word is "Pricehike".

Oh my insane Daemon Army I Played on Vassal earlier, I just used two primary FOCs for this. Played against all Terminator army with those flying things Marines have. It was a lot of fun.

Herald Tzeentch (Lvl3) x 3 , 2 (17) Pink Horrors , 2 Soul Grinders (Tzeentch, Phelgm)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 24, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
AbusePuppy's doing his breakdown over at 3++.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Awesome Eldar and Thousand Sons Hixson!

I am really interested to see how the new detachment/army guidelines work out. I mean people in my experience have generally accepted allies, they just say at the start of a pick-up game, eg. 'what army are you using?' 'IG with SM allies'. But 2 detachments at 2k was a bit of a rarity. I'm not someone who hates change for its own sake, but just being able to take as many detachments as you want seems like barely a restriction at all. Things like taking 6 HS or whatever other spammable unit (most armies should be able to muster 2HQ and 4 Troops), or taking several allied dets just to gain the right IC special rules. I mean it is almost unbound at this point, with the extra meta-gamesmanship of still getting that sweet super-scoring troops boost.

How good are those new warlord traits? I have been rolling exclusively on the Eldar and IG tables, I think the rulebook traits eclipse the Eldar ones, probably just above or about on par with IG's.

Perplexed to find no datasheets for specific fortifications in the book. Suppose they wanted to boost sales of stronghold assault! I would be quite interested in building some bunkers etc for my guard army. Also there are no rules for posting grenades into buildings or assaulting into buildings or between rooms. I understand that last as it is a bit more trouble than it would probably be worth.

Finally, does anyone have good ideas for combining dark eldar and eldar armies? I like to think of my eldar as corsair types and could definitely convert some hybrid type units. What bugs me is that although I can now put eldar units onto those awesome (assault transport) fying boats, they are all dedicated transports so actually I can't! I'm surprised they kept strengthened the battle brothers rules though, it seems clear to me that netlist/spam type armies are often focussed on combining codex units into deathstars. Things like munitorum priests that are designed to stiffen IG squads being used to pump up SM elites are obviously not intended in the army design and it detracts from the game a bit.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

"Alright everyone let's start the tournament, begin by debating the merits of points VS non-point play, each participants gets five minutes to state their case and if they don't agree the game can't be held and is a draw, go."

This, but unironically and about comp scores.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
"The first conversation you should have before every game is weather or not you want to play the game. Then you should agree if the game should have any point values and if one player can bring more models than another player. Then you should decide on where to play your game. After that consider deciding which factions to play and weather or not you should follow any of the rules in this book."

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Just wanna go on the record that the Unbound thread will always be remembered as the good thread, with cool and funny things and awesome pictures and tons of dumb poo poo and trash talk which is what 40k is all about. The "real" threads are garbage pages of rule talk and snoozefest nerd math. RIP Unbound thread. :patriot:

That being said, when your terrain is all themed as a jungle covered in scattered temple ruins and potentially leaky warp gates, what do you model your daemons as?

TREES! And maybe eventually some skeletons that get summoned from their tombs under the temples! Because this following scene needs to happen in every 40k game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

Even when I'm not summoning daemons, I'm going to ally them in. Or they're going to randomly deep strike and attack the nearest unit on either side. It's called FORGING THE NARRATIVE.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

"The first conversation you should have before every game is weather or not you want to play the game. Then you should agree if the game should have any point."

Just cut it here, IMO :v:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget the most important rule. Roll that d6.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Good, he pointed out the change to deployment order. If you win the coin toss you can choose to deploy second and go first now. Crazy.

e: this is wrong.

Fix fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 24, 2014

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Poison weapons no longer allow re-rolls when the natural Strength is the same as the opponent's Toughness. Strength has to be at least 1 higher to get the re-roll now. Another nerf to Tyranids because there were all those poison weapon-based Assault lists out there?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The good thing is it really does just seem like you can write down the rule changes from the internet and tuck them into your 6E rulebook and be playing 7E for all intents and purposes. Whether this is ethically the same as :filez: is a matter for the philosophers, I suppose.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Fix posted:

Good, he pointed out the change to deployment order. If you win the coin toss you can choose to deploy second and go first now. Crazy.

Really? That sounds retarded.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Saalkin posted:

Wait. No, I got that wrong. You can choose to set up first and go second. Not nearly as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Saalkin posted:

Not quite.

quote:

The players roll off. The winner of the roll off decides who will deploy first and who will deploy second.

The player that deployed first can choose to take the first or second turn. If they decide to take the first turn, their opponent can attempt to Seize the Initiative.

Pretty big change though.

Also, minimum range on barrage weapons is back! I hope you like exposing your 12/10/10 open topped Basilisk every time you want to shoot at something closer than 36" away. It's a good thing we have so many other artillery pieces in the Guard book we can use inste-

Oh.

Ohhhhh.

• Locked thread