Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Make an army, counting them as 30k death guard with chem-munitions or rad grenades or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I took a stab at it with gimp, and this is much closer to what he looks like in person:

JerryLee posted:

Make an army, counting them as 30k death guard with chem-munitions or rad grenades or something

He's actually the first of many. I made a mold of the vomit bit, and have at least a minimum allied contingent planned. :v:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So the terrain rules.

They sure reference Citadel Terrain a lot, huh.

And scratch-built terrain gets a special section.

quote:

Many players enjoy making their own terrain features from scratch (thus the term "scratch-built terrain"), and it's also possible to improvise a perfectly useable set of terrain using everyday objects at hand. Players that do so will need to devise their own datasheets for the terrain models they have created. Don't worry, this is very easy if you use the rules and datasheets presented here as examples of how to do so. For example, if you chose to use both the Basilica Administratum and Sanctum Imperialis models to make a single large ruin mounted on a scenic base, you and your opponent could agree that this piece of scratch-built terrain would use the rules for ruins and have both the Eternal Progress to Victory and the Benevolent Light special rules (og 186 and 187).

Yes, kitbashing from extant terrain pieces is scratch-building. And there are no rules for "generic" terrain pieces that I can spot (aside from craters and ruins I guess?), it's all Citadel.

e: It's not just me who finds the "if you and your opponent agree" mealy-mouthed phrasing hugely annoying, right? Tell me it's not just me.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 24, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's not like namedropping Citadel products is anything new (remember kids, your models will explode if you don't use high-quality Citadel tools and Citadel super glue).

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So the terrain rules.

They sure reference Citadel Terrain a lot, huh.

And scratch-built terrain gets a special section.

Yes, kitbashing from extant terrain pieces is scratch-building. And there are no rules for "generic" terrain pieces that I can spot (aside from craters and ruins I guess?), it's all Citadel.

Wood Elves, who's abilities rely on them having forests on the table, used to get a free 6" diameter forest to place on the table before deployment (in addition to whatever else is on the table.)

With the new book, they now get a free "Citadel Wood" to place on the table. Subtle.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

It's glorious. Also if you have contractor lights you can buy replacement bulbs that are white instead of yellow and use them for your lighting. Helps a whole bunch.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Since I saw that walkers are getting better, are Sentinels any good? I really like how they look.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I mean more like there's no rule for "a forest" at all. There's only the Citadel Woods Twisted Copse. If you want to just use some forest or random ruin you own in your game, you officially have to houserule it in. There's no "area terrain", the cover saves are instead listed on each individual Citadel terrain piece.

The only "generic" rule I can see for terrain is for what stuff counts as difficult terrain, but otherwise stuff like Dangerous/Impassable is on a per-Citadel Terrain model basis. There's some "battlefield debris" rules but only for specific things I'm pretty sure are all sold by them too.

This could all be old hat to people but it's a little jarring to me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arson Fire posted:

I have come to the conclusion that there aren't enough bugs in this thread. I'll help out.

All I see are nids with lightsabers. Awesome work!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Dump_Stat posted:

So, what's the verdict? Did assault get better? And if so, how so?

I'm going to get my books tomorrow :)

Nope.

FMCs can't charge the turn they change movement modes (but they can after they get Grounded). Infiltrators and Scouts can't charge on the first game turn, even if they go second. Assaulting through difficult terrain is a flat -2 to your charge, so your charge range has gone from 2-12" to 0-10". Yes, now you can fail a 1" charge. Still swing at I1 if you have to go through difficult terrain, even if you have a rule that allows you to not be slowed by it. Wounds from challenges can spill into and out of the challenge now. Smash is now 1 attack instead of half of them. Vector Strike is now 1 hit unless you're charging something else that's flying, in which case its D3 hits. Still can't assault from reserve and rumors of being able to assault out of stationary transports were unfounded.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Since I saw that walkers are getting better, are Sentinels any good? I really like how they look.

Sentinels look fantastic and even though vehicles have gotten tougher they're still AV10 2HP walkers that will get glanced out when something looks at them funny. It's a shame because I love mine but for the cost of a pair of Scout Sentinels I can get a Primaris Psyker with a few trimmings who is so much more useful.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 24, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I mean more like there's no rule for "a forest" at all. There's only the Citadel Woods Twisted Copse. If you want to just use some forest or random ruin you own in your game, you officially have to houserule it in. There's no "area terrain", the cover saves are instead listed on each individual Citadel terrain piece.

The only "generic" rule I can see for terrain is for what stuff counts as difficult terrain, but otherwise stuff like Dangerous/Impassable is on a per-Citadel Terrain model basis. There's some "battlefield debris" rules but only for specific things I'm pretty sure are all sold by them too.

This could all be old hat to people but it's a little jarring to me.

Honestly? Honestly it is jarring to you that a company would name specifically it's own products from their range that are designed for a specific role, when talking about that role?

Really?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What exactly got better about walkers aside from the vehicle damage table?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yup. Seems pretty jarring that a company that makes a wargame that can be set in a forest can't actually bring itself to say "a forest" but instead insists on using "Citadel Woods Twisted Copse" whenever it needs to refer to the concept of a forest. It's egregious and embarassing.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ghetto wormhole posted:

Smash attacks being only 1 attack now and the ubiquitous quad gun now only snap fires against ground targets. That and not being exploded on a stray autocannon hit is about all. I mean they're still slow and even lost the free pivot in the shooting phase. They might see a bit more use but I don't think we'll see a new golden age of all dreadnoughts all the time now.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I haven't had time to examine the rulebook too hard but just at a glance I can find a couple places where they talk about forests and other things in generic terms.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
If that's the case then I suppose there's no problem. I don't have the WHFB book myself.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm thinking of stripping some of my Tyranids and redoing them as such. http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/homehort/pest/tent_caterpillar_biology.htm
http://imageshack.com/a/img835/4851/u3oz.jpg
What do you guys think?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 24, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I just realized that Chaos Knights are finally a thing now.

7thBatallion posted:

I'm thinking of stripping some of my Tyranids and redoing them as such. http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/homehort/pest/tent_caterpillar_biology.htm
http://imageshack.com/a/img835/4851/u3oz.jpg
What do you guys think?

Every three or four months you come around and post about your pile of 2nd edition Nids and then never do anything other than buy more to throw in more boxes. No one cares about them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Walkers also get Hammer of Wrath now, they did lose the free pivot and have to pay attention to fire arcs.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Walkers also get Hammer of Wrath now, they did lose the free pivot and have to pay attention to fire arcs.

Is HoW still just unmodified S: User AP-?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Why the gently caress can't I buy the drat ebook? What is this archaic bullshit where I have to wait for the shops to open or something? When do you think it will be available?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Apparently I was doing the Psychics wrong, I was choosing the primaris focus for Daemonology which you still can do, but the Pink Horrors can't have 2 powers from Daemonology as they have to take their Gods Flickering Flames, but it's free so whatever.

It's actually better because then you have more shooting attacks. So you have to roll on the Chart for Pink Horrors and if you don't get what you want you can take summoning , but everyone gets summoning anyway.

Plus with 40 Warp Charge you can shoot off like a insane amount of shots at someone. Oh and now Warpfire has precision shots but I am unsure how that mechanic works. Basically the if I think you make more success than you need you get to pick.

So flickering fire is a Warp Charge 1, but you can add in more dice? gently caress it. I have no diea how it works now.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 24, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
What was the point of the free pivot anyway? Turning in the movement phase doesn't count as moving so unless some weird out of turn thing happens or you change your mind about what you want to shoot between moving and shooting then it was pretty pointless.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Are they? Are knights not lumped in with forces of the imperium?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Honestly? Honestly it is jarring to you that a company would name specifically it's own products from their range that are designed for a specific role, when talking about that role?

Really?

It's more jarring when "a forest" doesn't even exist as a rules concept and has to be specifically houseruled into the game. They literally call out anything that isn't a Citadel product as not being in the rules and needing to be written by the players.

Like the Twisted Copse is not a "generic forest", it refers to a specific product and has a specific set of unique rules. There are no rules for "generic forest", or even a "generic ruin". That's what's jarring about it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Every three or four months you come around and post about your pile of 2nd edition Nids and then never do anything other than buy more to throw in more boxes. No one cares about them.

Partially because the nearest store is two cities away and I'm a lazy son of a bitch. But all I do is eat, sleep, and work, and if I don't start doing something hobby wise I'll snap.

And I'm asking about a possible paint scheme and you're being an rear end about it. So yeah.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Isn't being an adult just awesome?

No. My drat back hurts. And my carpal tunnel is acting up. And I got tinnitus. In the ears, even.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 24, 2014

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

7thBatallion posted:

all I do is eat, sleep, and work

Isn't being an adult just awesome?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Wow there are some crazy good deals on Ebay right now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Go on....
:allears:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Discospawn posted:

Poison weapons no longer allow re-rolls when the natural Strength is the same as the opponent's Toughness. Strength has to be at least 1 higher to get the re-roll now. Another nerf to Tyranids because there were all those poison weapon-based Assault lists out there?

Eh, it barely matters for most 'Nids, as MCs all have high enough Strength that they still get it (except against other MCs.)

Ith posted:

This is a nice buff to Nightscythes.

Night Scythes do not have the Hover type.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

e: It's not just me who finds the "if you and your opponent agree" mealy-mouthed phrasing hugely annoying, right? Tell me it's not just me.

It's not just you.

"If you and your opponent agree, you can use polyhedral dice to determine random outcomes for events during the game. We suggest using Citadel(TM) d6s, but the sky is the limit as your forge your narrative!"

Swagger Dagger posted:

Sentinels are pretty solid. Good firepower, cheap, and either tough (Armored) or sneaky (Scout.)

ghetto wormhole posted:

Vehicles can score/contest now is the big one. Also only AP2/1 weapons can explode you, Hammer of Wrath for free, and Smash Attack is now just one attack, making MCs worse at destroying them in general.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Are you saying there's legitimately a sudden, statistically significant surge of 40k poo poo being sold today?

Because I would cackle so hard.

e: I don't monitor 40k prices on ebay quite closely enough to know whether the numbers I'm seeing are that outstanding, but one thing my search turned up just now was someone trying to flog off a 6E rulebook for a starting bid of $52. :lol: :frogout:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 24, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looks like the usual to me.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Fix posted:

Looks like the usual to me.

Did you search by newly listed?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm dumb and it's early.

Deny the witch - do you need to perfectly match or exceed the number of 4+ your opponent rolled, or does every 6 'negate' a 4+ so you can bring them below the number required to manifest, while still leaving them with 4+s?

E.g. Either
1) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I need 4 6s to negate.
Or
2) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I roll 2 6s and negate even though he still has 2 4s.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure this is a little bitter GW sentiment carried over from the last thread. I check ebay/craigslist 5 days a week, minimum for deals, and at this point I have a pretty good idea of what the most active 5 or 6 craigslist markets in the US are, which I check. There's nothing standing out to me as abnormally flooded with people looking to firesale their models in any of them.

I also spent about 5 hours at my FLGS today while people came by to pick up their rulebooks and/or read through the store copies and the general consensus was that it wasn't a spectacular set of changes, but for every nerf there was something that sort of balanced it out, potentially in a positive way for the specific player and their army.

I'm withholding judgement until I get a few games under my belt, but if nothing else, I vastly prefer the layout of the new rulebook when it comes to having to look up an odd rule. (though I'm not a fan of the terrain features in the book describing that units -on- the terrain get the bonus instead of units in base contact because I can see the arguments stemming from units 25% on the terrain getting the bonus or not from here.)

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm dumb and it's early.

Deny the witch - do you need to perfectly match or exceed the number of 4+ your opponent rolled, or does every 6 'negate' a 4+ so you can bring them below the number required to manifest, while still leaving them with 4+s?

E.g. Either
1) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I need 4 6s to negate.
Or
2) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I roll 2 6s and negate even though he still has 2 4s.

it's the second one. durrrrrrrr page 25, it's the first one.

koreban fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 24, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The exact phrasing is "For each individual result of 6+, one Warp Charge point has been successfully nullified. If the total number of nullified warp charge points is equal to or greater than the number of harnessed Warp Charge points, The Deny the Witch test has been passed and the psychic power does not manifest."

So no, you have to actually negate every single success they roll to negate a power. That's really why I wouldn't particularly rely on DtW.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The exact phrasing is "For each individual result of 6+, one Warp Charge point has been successfully nullified. If the total number of nullified warp charge points is equal to or greater than the number of harnessed Warp Charge points, The Deny the Witch test has been passed and the psychic power does not manifest."

So no, you have to actually negate every single success they roll to negate a power. That's really why I wouldn't particularly rely on DtW.

welp you're right. we missed the part on the bottom of page 25 where it says that.

quote:

you need to nullify all of the Warp Charge points that were successfully harnessed by the Psyker when he passed his Psychic test.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
My FLGS was sold out of rulebooks pretty much right away, but when I went in, the manager, who I've known for years and have treated to beers on more than one occasion said that he had set one aside just for me because he knew I would be in sometime this weekend. So, I got my new books. That's why I love my local gaming store and the rapport that they form with their neighborhood customers. :)

I have nothing against GW stores, but you just don't get that kind of person to person customer care outside of local shops. Long live the neighborhood geek stores!

If it makes you guys feel better, the A Galaxy at War book is filled with really beautiful photos of models looking well-painted and sterling. It's going to go right near the toilet, so I have some warhams porn to read while taking care of nature's business.

Sad to hear about assault having no overhaul. Oh well, guess my Flesh Tearers will stay packed away (Not that they're terrible), but it looks like my Guard / Imperial Knight lists will be stomping around on the tables some more.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The wording seems really misleading or at least unhelpfully confusing, since it uses the term 'successfully nullified.' Oh, I successfully nullified something! Awesome. Only that might not actually mean anything in practical terms. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

7thBatallion posted:

Did you search by newly listed?

Always do. My bookmark filters to things posted in the last two hours.

• Locked thread