Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I actually think this is pretty awesome if you look at it less like "Sexy Marine" and more like a Ring of the Nibelung style operatic/stage theatric marine. Imagine this fucker riding in on a Mechanical Pegasus belting out a gnarly soprano while slaying heretics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The left shoulder seems to extend from that left watermelon sized breast...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Babe Magnet posted:

I actually think this is pretty awesome if you look at it less like "Sexy Marine" and more like a Ring of the Nibelung style operatic/stage theatric marine. Imagine this fucker riding in on a Mechanical Pegasus belting out a gnarly soprano while slaying heretics.

Only if the chapter is called the Crimson Castrati

Also which Assassin is best to a counts-as to replace Marbo?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Probably Callidus, as she pops up anywhere on the board to shred stuff with her AP2 flamer. No demo charge though.

Alternatively, Eversor, as he's a lone wolf psycho. He explodes when he dies, which could serve as the demo pack :black101:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

To be fair, that terribly painted Daemon Prince is actually kinda terrifying.

AbusePuppy posted:

Screw you, buddy, I like the idea of that Tau drone carrier. :colbert:

ijyt posted:

This is actually kind of awesome.

Babe Magnet posted:

At this point I'm dreading the post where someone jumps in and starts defending the greenstuff Trygon abomination.

Yesss

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Soulfucker posted:

At this point I'm dreading the post where someone jumps in and starts defending the greenstuff Trygon abomination.

Wait it's a trygon? I thought... it was just a really big, unfinished hormagaunt. drat that's some new perspective on that horror.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I was thinking of putting this in the unspiration thread until I realized it was awesome:

SoftDrink posted:

Behold the the knowledge to paint at the golden daemon level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FayBHOhucf0
You can tell by the like/dislike bar just how many heads this joke went over. I love how devoted he is to this joke.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Worked out a kinda gimmicky Tau list I'm thinking of trying out. Basically, it's themed as a commando group, so no vehicles and similar (I may drop out the riptide for this reason, but it IS highly mobile so I haven't decided for sure).

code:
Shadestar's Silent Voice
2000/2000
HQ
Commander Niana Shadestar {195}
	Shadowsun [135]
	Command-link drone [20]
	2 MV52 Shield drones [40]
Lieutenant Kaito {152}
	Commander [85]
	Drone Controller [8]
	Command and Control Node [15]
	Plasma Rifle [15]
	Onager Gauntlet [5]
	2 Marker Drones [24]

Crisis Bodyguard Team {182}
	Bodyguard [32]
		Target Lock [5]
		Missile Pod [15]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
	Bodyguard [32]
		Target Lock [5]
		Missile Pod [15]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
	4 Marker Drones [48]

Crisis Bodyguard Team {199}
	Bodyguard [32]
		TL Fusion Blaster [20]
		Fusion Blaster [15]
		Puretide Chip [15]
	Bodyguard [32]	
		TL Fusion Blaster [20]
		Fusion Blaster [15]
		Neuroweb System Jammer [2]
	2 Shield Drones [24]
	2 Gun Drones [24]

Troops
Fire Warrior Team {108}
	12 Fire Warriors [108]
Fire Warrior Team {108}
	12 Fire Warriors [108]

Elite
Stealth Team {269}
	Shas'vre [40]
		Fusion Blaster [5]
		Markerlight and target lock [5]
		Homing Beacon [10]
		Counterfire defense system [5]
	Shas'ui [30]
		Fusion Blaster [5]
		Target Lock [5]
	Shas'ui [30]
		Burst Cannon
	Shas'ui [30]
		Burst Cannon
	Shas'ui [30]
		Burst Cannon
	Shas'ui [30]
		Burst Cannon

2 Gun Drones [24]

Riptide [180] {220}
	Twin-linked Fusion Blaster [0]
	Heavy Burst Cannon [0]
	Counterfire Defense System [5]
	Stimulant Injector [35]

Crisis Team {228}
	Shas'ui [22]	
		Plasma Rifle [15]
		Fusion Blaster [15]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Plasma Rifle [15]		
		Fusion Blaster [15]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
		Fusion Blaster [15]
	3 Gun Drones [36]
	3 Shield Drones [36]

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team {165}
	7 Pathfinders [77]
	Pathfinder Shas'ui [21]
	2 Shield Drones [24]
	Pulse Accelerator Drone [15]
	Recon Drone [28]

Heavy Support
Sniper Drone Team {174}
	3 Firesight [39]
	9 Sniper Drones [135]
Basically, Niana [reflavored Shadowsun] joins the Stealth Team and infiltrates ahead, the pathfinders scout ahead, and the fire warriors and snipers provide covering fire. Kaito and the marker bodyguards provide targetting support, and the other battlesuits drop onto the homing beacons to hit enemy weakpoints. (Shadowsun's warlord trait gives her unit a 3d6" thrust move, which combined with infiltrate should get them quickly into a great spot to drop the suits.)

I'm not 100% on the armaments for my Crisis teams. The TL Fusion+Fusion bodyguard team uses the chip for Tank Hunters and theoretically mauls enemy armor. I might switch the flamers on the regular crisis team for burst cannons, and the fusion blasters for plasma rifles or missile pods.

EDIT: hmm. seemse my math is off. recalculating.

EDIT2: Had some points left, it turned out! Changed the gear on the regular crisis suits and added another Pathfinder. I think everything's right now.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 27, 2014

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Does anyone have any spare Wave Serpent Warpvanes (the 6 bits that go on the hull that distinguish it from other Eldar Tanks) for sale? Or alternatively have suggestions for a conversion substitute? They look like this:

I got most of my Eldar tanks in 3rd edition, prior to them releasing an actual Wave Serpent model - I think I got one Forgeworld kit at the time but for some reason my converted Wave Serpent from 10 years ago has the long bits of the warpvanes snapped off, so only the jewels on the main tank body remain. Either way, I'd like to have my Wave Serpents actually look like it beyond the turret, so any help would be appreciated!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

GWAR really does work well with 40k.

That Blight Drone is also a sick conversion. I seem to recall you posting WIP pictures of it - do you still have those?

edit - I suppose I should ask you to post them, I guess.

The only in progress pick I had was the one below. Is that it? While I wish I could take credit for the awesome conversion, I totally ripped the idea (rather shamelessly, I might add) off of BuffaloChicken, the source of nearly all awesome conversion ideas in the universe.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Direwolf posted:

I am on a roll here, somehow. After my Deathwing victory on Saturday, I had another friend who also wanted NOVA practice, so I brought my (new) Iyanden list versus his Saim Hann, and pretty much trounced him - he played really conservatively, and while there was some swingy rolling (my flyers both got knocked out the sky immediately and my Spiritseer rolled a 17 Psychic shriek, murdering Maugen Ra and an entire Dark Reaper squad) I felt pretty good overall about how it ran.

I'd like some feedback on the list:
*deletia*

I think my big issue with the list is the Crimson Hunters and Wraithblades. Hunters are just too fragile for their point cost- they hit reasonably hard and can bring down most aircraft, yes, but anything that sneeze at them will probably kill them. I would much rather run something else to do that job- Warp Spiders are respectable AA in a pinch, especially if you Guide them first, and the Nightwing (from Imperial Armor Aeronautica) is an absolutely beast. Heck, run Hornets or Wasps or something instead- AV10 just doesn't impress me as a vehicle that needs to rely on reserve rolls happening in the right order.

Wraithblades aren't awful, they just seem worse than Wraithguard at most duties due to lacking an assault transport. They can chop up a fair number of things if they get into a fight with them, but that's a fairly big "if" right there. The Wraithlord also feels like a bit of an odd duck in the list, since it's the only thing not moving 12"; swap it for another Fire Prism/Nightspinner or combine the two and get a second Wraithknight? You could also scrape some points and replace the Prism with a second Wraithlord if you wanted to cleave to theme. (I would put Flamers and the Sword on them, incidentally- 5pts is very cheap for a reroll.) No doubt you've noticed I don't like the Suncannon WK, although a number of people seem to.

Sir Teabag posted:

Although now I have to decide if I want to assemble/use this kit as a CCB or an Annihilation Barge.

It's actually really easy to make it swappable- just don't glue down the Tesla Destructor and use the CCB part without the "banister" that stands in front of the Overlord normally. Still looks fine and you don't even need magnets to do it.

Cream_Filling posted:

Also which Assassin is best to a counts-as to replace Marbo?

Definitely the Callidus. She can deploy anywhere she wants to (or come in off the enemy table edge), has a strong shooting attack at point-blank range and surprisingly-good melee skills, plus some wacky disruption shenanigans.

Esser-Z posted:

Worked out a kinda gimmicky Tau list I'm thinking of trying out. Basically, it's themed as a commando group, so no vehicles and similar (I may drop out the riptide for this reason, but it IS highly mobile so I haven't decided for sure).

*deletia*

Shadowsun's Shield Drones aren't really worth the cost. They're not really any better than normal Shield Drones, which themselves are resoundingly mediocre. Putting her with Stealth Suits is actually rather wasteful, despite what GW wants you to think- remember that Infiltrate, Stealth, and Shrouded all transfer to the squad she's with, so joining her to a unit of Crisis makes them into Stealth Suits++ very cheaply and easily.

Your Commander has a C&C Node as well as a gun? That's really weird. C&C Node + Multispectrum is usually the way to go, although there are other options.

Why are you mixing Plasma/Missile on your Bodyguards? Models, I suppose? Go with two of the same weapon unless you have a really good reason not to- the Missile/Plasma setup is a legacy of past editions where you couldn't take two of the same weapon.

I'd drop the Drones and Puretide from the other Bodyguard unit- a Fusion squad like that is essentially suicidal already, and a handful of 4+ save wounds aren't gonna change that when they get charged or rapid fired. Puretide is better used on the Commander, who can pass it to any squad he joins.

Kroot seem like they'd be more thematic for this list than Fire Warriors- Infiltrate and Stealth fit very well with the rest of the army.

You seem to be running a lot of mixed Gun/Shield drone units, any particular reason why? I find Gun Drones do most everything a Shield Drone does and also throw in some firepower to boot. The Crisis unit also suffers from the same problem as the others- mixed weaponry just generally isn't needed. Plasma/Fusion has a bit better defense for it (I think it's the only mix I would ever consider running), but it's still generally not ideal.

You might try out Advanced Targeting System or Velocity Tracker on your Riptide over the Counterfire System; ATS is great for picking out important models (and you're practically guaranteed to get 1-2 Precision hits with it every time you shoot) and the VT gives you an excellent way to stave off airplanes. (I more commonly run it with Early Warning Override, but the Stims are entirely defensible as an option.) Give how much Fusion you have elsewhere in the list, I think you'd benefit more from running the Smart Missiles on the Riptide, as they pair well with the "bucket of dice" philosophy that the HBC tends towards.

The unique Pathfinder drones are resoundingly mediocre. I'm not wholly sure why you have the Recon Drone (or the Homing Beacon on the Stealth team), since your list doesn't make great use of them- you're rather light on bodies to start with, and DSing in 2-4 units puts you even more so. The Pulse Accelerator isn't awful, but you really wanna be shooting those Markerlights most of the time, so I don't think it's worth the cost.

Given that you have all your HS slots open, I would recommend splitting up the Sniper Drone Teams somewhat. 3+2 and 3+2 (if you have the models) would be ideal, I think, although sprinkling in some more Drones if you have spare points would hardly be bad.

You seem to be wanting to run a ton of Crisis suits overall- have you considered trying out a Farsight Enclaves list? It would put some constraints on your army, and if you wanted to keep Shadowsun you'd need to take her as part of an allied detachment, but you could essentially run your current list as FE + Tau and keep all of your current toys, but also get Objective Secured on most of the Crisis squads.

I'm not sure how competitive you're looking to make things overall, but those are my thoughts on that front, at least. It's a decent starting point for a list, but I'd definitely say some tweaks could make it a lot better.

Direwolf posted:

Does anyone have any spare Wave Serpent Warpvanes (the 6 bits that go on the hull that distinguish it from other Eldar Tanks) for sale? Or alternatively have suggestions for a conversion substitute? They look like this:

I think I might have some left from one of my Serpents, I'll have to go back and check. Where are you at, for mailing purposes?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

AbusePuppy posted:

I think my big issue with the list is the Crimson Hunters and Wraithblades. Hunters are just too fragile for their point cost- they hit reasonably hard and can bring down most aircraft, yes, but anything that sneeze at them will probably kill them. I would much rather run something else to do that job- Warp Spiders are respectable AA in a pinch, especially if you Guide them first, and the Nightwing (from Imperial Armor Aeronautica) is an absolutely beast. Heck, run Hornets or Wasps or something instead- AV10 just doesn't impress me as a vehicle that needs to rely on reserve rolls happening in the right order.

Wraithblades aren't awful, they just seem worse than Wraithguard at most duties due to lacking an assault transport. They can chop up a fair number of things if they get into a fight with them, but that's a fairly big "if" right there. The Wraithlord also feels like a bit of an odd duck in the list, since it's the only thing not moving 12"; swap it for another Fire Prism/Nightspinner or combine the two and get a second Wraithknight? You could also scrape some points and replace the Prism with a second Wraithlord if you wanted to cleave to theme. (I would put Flamers and the Sword on them, incidentally- 5pts is very cheap for a reroll.) No doubt you've noticed I don't like the Suncannon WK, although a number of people seem to.

I think I might have some left from one of my Serpents, I'll have to go back and check. Where are you at, for mailing purposes?

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the Wraithlord doesn't super fit in the list, and I think if I had the money lying around I would trade it and the fire prism for another Wraithknight - Fire prism is really hit or miss.

The wraithblades are basically a bodyguard for my Spiritseer, and they're more of a tar pit than an assault unit - I've used them to hold off Wraithknights/DE command squads and the like. You're right about the Crimson Hunters, I like the model and what it can technically do but they seem to explode violently every game I play them in. I don't have a Farseer for Guide for Warp Spiders and the Crimson Hunters are actually more anti-vehicle generally than anti flyer, as the wave serpents are usually focusing on infantry or light vehicles and the wraithguard can't always get within 12 for tank punching.

I'm in Washington, DC, zip code 20010.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Thanks a ton, Abuse Puppy. I really appreciate the advice!

Kroot ARE a good idea. I don't have any yet, but I'm open to getting some. I was unaware that mixed weapons were a bad thing, and yeah it makes more sense to put a scanner on that guy--he can join any other squad if he loses his starting one.

I didn't really think about being low on bodies; that's a good point. Splitting up the sniper teams makes sense, too. Not sure why I mixed the drones like that; bit of a survival boost or something.

Enclaves is a Tau Codex supplement, which makes it the same faction. Per the core rules, an allied detachment can't share a faction with a combined arms detachment in the same army. But... that's pretty unimportant here, because I would save points trading bodyguards for standard crisis suits, even factoring in bonding knife.

Gonna work out a second version, thanks again for the tips!

Going Farsight for some of it WILL require a third HQ, though, because they don't get the normal signature systems. But I'm saving enough points elsewhere that I could grab an Ethereal or something.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 27, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finished up the last two warbuggies :toot:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I am loving those buggies.

Silent Voice Version 2. Fewer stealth suits, since I'm not sticking my commander with them, and objective secured crisis suits instead of bodyguards, plus a third commander to let me take them!
code:
Niana Shadestar's Silent Voice

2000/2000

Combined Arms Detachment (Codex: Tau Empire)

HQ
Commander Niana Shadestar {155}
	Shadowsun [135]
	Command-link Drone [20]
Liutenant Kaito {167}
	Commander [85]
	Drone Controller [8]
	Command and Control Node [15]
	Multi-spectrum sensor suite [20]
	Puretide chip [15]
	2 Marker Drones [24]

Troops
Kroot Carnivore Squad {92}
	10 Kroot [60]
	Shaper [21]
	Sniper Rounds [11]
Kroot Carnivore Squad {92}
	10 Kroot [60]
	Shaper [21]
	Sniper Rounds [11]
Elite
Riptide {235}
	Shas'vre [180]
	Heavy Burst Cannon
	TL Smart Missile System
	Stimulant Injector [35]
	Velocity Tracker [20]

Stealth Team {149}
	Shas'vre [40]
		Targetlock+markerlight [5]
		Fusion blaster [5]
	Shas'ui [30]
		Burst Cannon
	Shas'ui [30]
		Burst Cannon
	2 Gun Drones [24]

Fast Attack
Pathfinders {122}
	7 Pathfinders [77]
	Pathfinder Shas'ui [21]
	2 Gun Drones [24]

Heavy Support
Sniper Drone Team {86}
	2 Firesights [26]
	4 Sniper Drones [60]
Sniper Drone Team {86}
	2 Firesights [26]
	4 Sniper Drones [60]

Combined Arms Detachment (Supplement: Farsight Enclaves)
HQ
Liuetenant O'dekin {150}
	Commander [85]
	Plasma Rifle [15]
	Plasma Rifle [15]
	Drone Controller [8]
	Advanced Targeting System [3]
	2 Gun Drones [24]

Troops
Crisis Team {222}
	Bonding Knife Ritual [3]
	Shas'ui [22]
`		Missile Pod [15]
		Missile Pod [15]
		Target Lock [5]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Missile Pod [15]
		Missile Pod [15]
		Target Lock [5]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Missile Pod [15]
		Missile Pod [15]
		Target Lock [5]
	4 Marker Drones [48]
Crisis Team {222}
	Bonding Knife Ritual[3]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Fusion blaster [15]
		Fusion blaster [15]
		Target Lock [5]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Fusion blaster [15]
		Fusion blaster [15]
		Target Lock [5]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Fusion blaster [15]
		Fusion blaster [15]
		Target Lock [5]
	4 Gun Drones [48]
Crisis Team {222}
	Bonding Knife Ritual[3]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
	Shas'ui [22]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
		Plasma Rifle [15]
	4 Gun Drones [48]

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sir Teabag posted:

Can't hit invisible units with template weapons, because you're forced to snap-shot at them.

You can hack around that by targeting a unit nearby that isn't invisible, but I hear ya, its not an optimal solution.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up the last two warbuggies :toot:

They look nice and orky good job. Were'd you get the ATVs from?

SoftDrink fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 27, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SoftDrink posted:

They look nice and orky good job. Were'd you get the ATVs from?

Dollar Tree. Buck a pop can't be beat.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

You can hack around that by targeting a unit nearby that isn't invisible, but I hear ya, its not an optimal solution.

Also doom scythe death lasers, since there is no target, there is no snap shot.
There is also no jink. (this is still necron v invisible dudes right?)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BULBASAUR posted:

I just think it's dumb how some psychic powers are like invisibility and some aren't.

In the eldar on eldar game I won yesterday I think it could have gone somewhat differently if his Eldrad had rolled any useful powers beyond Fortune - obviously cheaper psyker spam is more reliable than a single dude but it's weird to have a 200 point sink that can potentially do little/nothing. It didn't help that his other two powers were leadership based and I was playing a wraith army.

Meanwhile, my rinky dink Spiritseer just ran around with the Telepathy Primaris and killed a jetbike squad, a Dark Reaper squad and Maugen Ra. Bring back purchased powers!

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Also doom scythe death lasers, since there is no target, there is no snap shot.
There is also no jink. (this is still necron v invisible dudes right?)

Necron's or IG advice is good for me, I've got both and have struggled with invisible units with both. Doom scythe is a good suggestion - may wait until there is a new codex before I pick one or two up though. New codexes seem to be coming out fast, and I don't want to commit to a couple of units that may not be so great when they get a new book. I'll try proxying them for now though!

I've tried to get lucky scatters onto invisible units before, but it's very situational. It doesn't work out too well for me beyond maybe one turn of attempting this at best, because the invisible unit I'm trying to kill is usually a fast moving CC squad heading straight at me to ruin my day.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Direwolf posted:

Meanwhile, my rinky dink Spiritseer just ran around with the Telepathy Primaris and killed a jetbike squad, a Dark Reaper squad and Maugen Ra. Bring back purchased powers!

I agree with this, and make invisibility like 200 points too. It wouldn't be so bad if there were a more reliable way to deny the witch. Or if there were some adverse consequence for rolling a bucket of dice to get the power off. I've seen a couple Perils tests, but I've never seen anything nasty happen to a psyker that rolled a perils.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I cast invisibility on my vortex missile battery strongpoint in a game last night just as it was down to its final hull point, but it got blowed up anyway when a nearby vindicator shot the psyker squad that had cast the spell and were thusly standing high in the air on its invisible battlements. One of the stray missiles that got detonated upon its destruction scattered perfectly to clip both of my Deathstrike launchers.

That unit is an unending well of comedy.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

I was thinking of putting this in the unspiration thread until I realized it was awesome:

I imagine he sings in the voice of Corruption/whatever his name is from Fern Gully, "Toxic Love."

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I can think of one good troll against a space wizard army: word bearers with a navigator:

-Enemy Psykers taking Perils of the Warp automatically suffer Instant Death
-All Psykers, friend or foe, roll three dice and discard the lowest result for the purposes of determining Perils of the Warp results

But yeah invisibility is silly

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 27, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Does anyone know if the individual Multi-Melta thallax are still sold? I have 6 regular guys and those would finish them off, either as a whole blob or 3 MSU's

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Direwolf posted:

No random is crazy and fun!!!

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

Invisibility is stupid my friend plays Be'lakor and a Khorne Lord of Skulls a lot.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

Moola posted:

No random is crazy and fun!!!

Ya at Adepticon my teammates farseer got Death mission and cast it. It prevented a Hive Tyrant from assaulting him because he was scared of losing his tyrant.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

Does anyone know if the individual Multi-Melta thallax are still sold? I have 6 regular guys and those would finish them off, either as a whole blob or 3 MSU's

Whole blob only. Your best bets are ebay, conversions, or supporting communism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The entire Telepathy tree is crazy balls good. I'm still waiting for people to start doing the Eldar Embolden/whatever it's called that drops LD by -5 and Psychic Screaming poo poo to death with Farseers and those Crimson flier things etc..

I played against that and it was not a enjoyable experience.

I've started playing my own version of this with just mass Heralds of Slaanesh, because seriously Telepathy is a crazy psychic tree where every single spell is good almost.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 27, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

The entire Telepathy tree is crazy balls good. I'm still waiting for people to start doing the Eldar Embolden/whatever it's called that drops LD by -5 and Psychic Screaming poo poo to death with Farseers and those Crimson flier things etc..

I played against that and it was not a enjoyable experience.

I've started playing my own version of this with just mass Heralds of Slaanesh, because seriously Telepathy is a crazy psychic tree where every single spell is good almost.

It drops it by 3 but it's not exactly easy to get both that and Psychic Scream. Spritseer's have a 33% chance, Warlocks have a 16% chance and cannot get Psychic Scream by doing so. Farseer's cannot get the power. The only real way to get both is to run a seer council, and the only way to make it a viable threat is to put that council on a bike.

However, with the Culexus assassin out now I think it's very unlikely to see very many jetbike seer council's in the tournament scene.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Those Flyers do not get Psychic Scream - I hope they weren't the ones doing the Screaming.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Von Humboldt posted:

Those Flyers do not get Psychic Scream - I hope they weren't the ones doing the Screaming.

He means the Hemlock Wraithfighters. If any of your warlocks roll the -leadership power all of the sudden zooming flyers can basically force any enemy squad to fall back. Of course, you need to roll the first power, and a 185 pt AV 10 flyer is nooot really worth that ability, but it could be fun.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Esser-Z posted:

Enclaves is a Tau Codex supplement, which makes it the same faction. Per the core rules, an allied detachment can't share a faction with a combined arms detachment in the same army. But... that's pretty unimportant here, because I would save points trading bodyguards for standard crisis suits, even factoring in bonding knife.

Farsight Enclaves has explicit permission in its book to ally with Tau, which overrides the standard BRB restriction. You would be giving up either Shadowsun or the Support Commander, but that isn't crippling if you have Markerlights in the list.

I threw this version together for you based off your other stuff. I'm not sure what models you have or any of that, but I think it could work pretty well:

code:
FARSIGHT ENCLAVES COMBINED ARMS
Commander (2 Missile Pod, Drone Controller, Target Lock)
6 Stealth Suits (2 Fusion Blaster)
1 Riptide (Heavy Burst Cannon, Smart Missiles, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning, Earth Caste Array)
3 Crisis Suits (2 Missile Pods, Target Lock, 6 Marker Drones, Bonding Knives)
2 Crisis Suits (TLFusion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Bonding Knives)
3 Crisis (Plasma/Plasma/Drone Controller; Plasma/Plasma/Vectored Retrothrusters; Plasma/Plasma, 6 Gun Drones, Bonding Knives)
2 Crisis Suits (Missile Pod, Missile Pod, Bonding Knives)
4 Sniper Drones (2 Marksmen)
4 Sniper Drones (2 Marksmen)

TAU EMPIRE COMBINED ARMS
Commander Shadowsun (Command Link Drone, Warlord)
Ethereal
16 Kroot (Sniper Ammo, 1 Kroot Hound)
15 Kroot (Sniper Ammo, 2 Kroot Hound)
5 Pathfinders
1 Aegis Defense Line (Quad Gun)
There's plenty of additional variation you could go on with this; the Aegis Line is in there because Kroot and Missile Crisis love hiding behind it- in fact, if you wanted you could probably throw a handful of Gun or Shield Drones onto the small Crisis to give them a touch more survivability. Shadowsun goes with the Plasma unit, Commander goes with the big Missile unit. Riptide + Quad Gun should give you more than sufficient AA most of the time, and your troops are all very mobile. Ethereal hangs out in the backfield with Kroot to keep everything alive and functioning (FNP is gonna be your usual bonus for him, though volleying Pulse when the enemy gets close isn't bad.) If you feel a bit light on AT you could trade one of the Missile units for some more Fusion, but I think you'll be fine in that regard. It's a lot of bodies and a lot of scoring units, even if they aren't always the toughest ones in the world. Don't be afraid to leave the Kroot in reserve if you're afraid of Ignores Cover guns on the other side of the table killing your Ethereal- he's not critical to your main game plan.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Direwolf posted:

I got most of my Eldar tanks in 3rd edition, prior to them releasing an actual Wave Serpent model - I think I got one Forgeworld kit at the time but for some reason my converted Wave Serpent from 10 years ago has the long bits of the warpvanes snapped off, so only the jewels on the main tank body remain. Either way, I'd like to have my Wave Serpents actually look like it beyond the turret, so any help would be appreciated!

The forge world conversion kits did not have vanes on the little spirit stone baubles, but rather a crossbar that connected the empty space on the front as seen here.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think those are actually closer looking to the original epic wave serpents than the current GW version.

Also, I'm pretty sure this guy does battle reports for Frontline Gaming

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 28, 2014

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

One of my friends have the original Forge World ones.

:filez:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 28, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SoftDrink posted:

One of my friends have the original Forge World ones.
:filez:

Not Failcast, what a professional name.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not Failcast, what a professional name.

Well it is true it's not GWs Failcast that everyone loves.

• Locked thread