Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Was wound allocation changed in any way, aside from spillover from challenges? I haven't seen much about it is all so I wasn't sure.

There's a Steam sale right now on the Dawn of War franchise for 50% off. The sale enticed one of my friends to pick up Dawn of War II: Retribution, and a couple of my buddies who already had the game jumped in and we had ourselves a bunch of 2v2 games over the course of the night. poo poo's incredibly fun; get some of your buddies to get Retribution and play a bunch. It scratches a very similar itch that the tabletop game does (especially with all of us in one Mumble server for trash talking), and I'm stoked I finally have folks to play it with again.

Also Kill Team, the twinstick shooter, is out on PC now too for :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

The wording seems really misleading or at least unhelpfully confusing, since it uses the term 'successfully nullified.' Oh, I successfully nullified something! Awesome. Only that might not actually mean anything in practical terms. :shepface:

The entire section is weird, see the previous "why the hell is denying any power an exception to denying a power against a specific unit" confusion. I'm sure this makes sense somewhere in Nottingham.

Deny the Witch feels a little weird to me in this respect honestly. There's as written no possible way to get a bonus to denying conjurations or blessings (not even by being close enough with a psychic hood since it only lets you redirect from a friendly unit to yourself), and the chances I'm ad-hoc mathing out in my head make even two-charge blessings really difficult to counter. Meanwhile getting even a single +1 bonus when it targets your unit is huge, but that won't happen unless it's a witchfire effect or a malediction meaning those powers are going to be comparatively depreciated.

All in all, the successful psychic phase is looking like a buff-and/or-summon one. Hope you still like divination.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SRM posted:

Was wound allocation changed in any way, aside from spillover from challenges? I haven't seen much about it is all so I wasn't sure.

It's pretty much the same, except for a few cases where they introduce wounding a random model, like when a vehicle explodes. It's not bad for most things, but if someone sticks a flamer through my fortification window now I've got to figure out how to randomly assign a bunch of hits to 30 models whereas before they sorta forged the narrative for you a little.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah random allocation and/or selection is stupid and takes forever, I wish they'd cut that poo poo out.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There are two or three things about this book thus far that have struck me as plain lazy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Did they move from situations where the controlling player allocates the wounds (ie the vehicle exploding example) to random allocation in those cases, because holy poo poo I cannot believe they thought that was a better way to implement things.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, but to their credit they made vehicle explosions less common? I dunno, man. Even the whole "shoot with each weapon type at a time" thing is pretty eeeehhhh….

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

koreban posted:

I'm withholding judgement until I get a few games under my belt, but if nothing else, I vastly prefer the layout of the new rulebook when it comes to having to look up an odd rule. (though I'm not a fan of the terrain features in the book describing that units -on- the terrain get the bonus instead of units in base contact because I can see the arguments stemming from units 25% on the terrain getting the bonus or not from here.)

I expect 6.7 edition to be a tad better than 6th, which was pretty cool. I'm excited to play it, but it's a god drat rip off and I'm not buying that paperweight. I'm going to pick up dropzone commander instead.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of the new psychic powers, it occurred to me that technically, Grey Knight vehicles are psykers, too, and therefore now contribute to your psychic dice pool. It's a shame they can't generate other powers instead of their built-in psychic powers, since I find the mental image of a squadron's worth of Rhinos running around casting pyromancy boombooms and the Vortex of Doom hilarious. (We'll have to wait and see ho they FAQ that of course.. if they ever get around to it)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I expect 6.7 edition to be a tad better than 6th, which was pretty cool. I'm excited to play it, but it's a god drat rip off and I'm not buying that paperweight. I'm going to pick up dropzone commander instead.

This is exactly it. On their own, the rules aren't a disaster, on average. There are some dumb individual points and it's a huge disappointment because of how many additional things with 6E needed to be addressed, but in aggregate they won't make the gameplay experience worse, really. In some cases they might actually be better or at least new and interesting.

One really needs to consider 7E not just as a set of rules for a game, but as a puzzle piece in the horribly hosed up relationship of GW with its customers and its customers' wallets, in order to understand where the pantsshitting comes from.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Isn't the 'edition' entirely unlabeled? Then why are we even calling it 7th edition? It's like saying Dawn of War: Soulstorm = Dawn of War 2. poo poo's just an update folks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
They're never labeled afaik.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BULBASAUR posted:

Isn't the 'edition' entirely unlabeled? Then why are we even calling it 7th edition? It's like saying Dawn of War: Soulstorm = Dawn of War 2. poo poo's just an update folks.

Because in doing so we can easily compare it to previous versions and know when changes were made without having to linguistically dance around a lot?

What's wrong with version control?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah, poking fun at what a whistly fart it ended up being by calling it '6.5' or w/e is amusing, but saying 7E helps for clarity, I think.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The example of Citadel-only scenery rules in this book has a particular other close-to-home example. Recall that a little while ago our own goon Germ was selling vehicle explosion markers via a kickstarter campaign. Guess what doesn't exist anymore? When Chimera explode now, they do so so completely that they don't even leave a crater behind anymore. Thanks, GW, for sticking it to a man!

haakman
May 5, 2011

Discospawn posted:

Poison weapons no longer allow re-rolls when the natural Strength is the same as the opponent's Toughness. Strength has to be at least 1 higher to get the re-roll now. Another nerf to Tyranids because there were all those poison weapon-based Assault lists out there?

What the gently caress - that basically removes one of the combat drugs rolls for DE. DE being S3 and all.

gently caress you GW

haakman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 24, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

7thBatallion posted:

I'm thinking of stripping some of my Tyranids and redoing them as such. http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/homehort/pest/tent_caterpillar_biology.htm
http://imageshack.com/a/img835/4851/u3oz.jpg
What do you guys think?

There was an article in one of the recent GW publications (WD I think, though I can't find the article) that explained how Phil Kelly did his swarm (google 'phil kelly tyranids' for pics), which was incredibly easy and quick - Black Spray, followed by Gloss Coat, and then Yellow detailing on the ridges. Might help for what you're going for.

Fix posted:

The example of Citadel-only scenery rules in this book has a particular other close-to-home example. Recall that a little while ago our own goon Germ was selling vehicle explosion markers via a kickstarter campaign. Guess what doesn't exist anymore? When Chimera explode now, they do so so completely that they don't even leave a crater behind anymore. Thanks, GW, for sticking it to a man!

How ripped off everyone who bought that stuff will feel when they realise that all they're left with is just some great looking terrain pieces.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dump_Stat posted:

My FLGS was sold out of rulebooks pretty much right away, but when I went in, the manager, who I've known for years and have treated to beers on more than one occasion said that he had set one aside just for me because he knew I would be in sometime this weekend. So, I got my new books. That's why I love my local gaming store and the rapport that they form with their neighborhood customers. :)

I have nothing against GW stores, but you just don't get that kind of person to person customer care outside of local shops. Long live the neighborhood geek stores!

I'm glad you have a nice store but I have to say the best person to person customer care experience I've had was from a GW store manager.

I was spending some time in Melbourne. Went into the GW there and had a chat with the manager; he asked what I was working on and I showed him some pictures of my orks. He asked me how I did the skin and I told him it was a pretty simple technique; Thrakka green wash over a yellow base. I lamented though, because I was very close to running out of thrakka green and the new citadel shade didn't quite yield the same effect.

I went back to the store a couple of days later to pick up an order and he presented me with a bag full of the old citadel washes including two full pots of thrakka green. The dude didn't want cash or anything. He was just happy to help me out by bequeathing me his personal supply of old washes.

So basically, don't dismiss the GW staff out of hand. They're mostly fellow hobbyists and have the same passion for the game as you or I. Though I'll grant, some of them can be totally dickbags.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

It's not like namedropping Citadel products is anything new (remember kids, your models will explode if you don't use high-quality Citadel tools and Citadel super glue).

Ironically using Citadel glue is exactly why my models exploded. Fixing Fire Warriors is OK, but a Riptide? Ugh.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

SRM posted:

Also Kill Team, the twinstick shooter, is out on PC now too for :10bux:

I was going to pick this up, but I did some research and it looks like it's a really lazy PC port which only has buggy local co-op (some people were talking about it not detecting two controllers correctly) and no online co-op, sooooo think I'm going to pass sadly.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Man, templates on open-topped vehicles are really hurting Trukk-Boyz. They were already bad, what with have 12 Boyz and a PK nob that can be challenged out, but now they are less protected on the way in. Battlewagons too.

First they took our 4+ cover, now they take the protection of our vehicles. drat.

Basically, Mega-Armour Nobz all the time. They laugh at most templates and don't give a poo poo when tanks explode.

Play Orks like they're terminators.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I love your armies, but these guys are so 3rd edition in the best way. Also jealous you have this sick model.

Thanks! Yeah I got him at Games Day 99 in Baltimore. He's probably my favorite of the Games Day models, but I have a clear bias and the only other one I have is that Kroot Shaper from 2000.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raphus C posted:

Man, templates on open-topped vehicles are really hurting Trukk-Boyz. They were already bad, what with have 12 Boyz and a PK nob that can be challenged out, but now they are less protected on the way in. Battlewagons too.

First they took our 4+ cover, now they take the protection of our vehicles. drat.

Basically, Mega-Armour Nobz all the time. They laugh at most templates and don't give a poo poo when tanks explode.

Play Orks like they're terminators.

At least now the PK nob can now carve a hole through the enemy unit. The biggest problem I found wasn't that the PK nobs were dying in the challenges it was that they were only able to take care of the sgt who challenged them and not do any damage to the unit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gave a quick read to the 3++ post, I have to say the only rule I actually like is the FNC grounding and charging changes.

Personally the new night fight system is pointless and boring.

Oh and the new "everything is a +5" cover rule and lack of area terrain.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

quote:

If a template weapon hits a building's Fire Point or an Open-Topped vehicle and there is a unit embarked inside that building or vehicle, then in addition to any other effects that unit suffers D6 hits, resolved at the Strength and AP of the weapon. These hits are Randomly Allocated.

Is this real?

If so this is some serious bullshit. It's not like Ork vehicles weren't already a death trap, but now they are one even before they blow up? God I hope the new codex throws Orks a bone.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Swagger Dagger posted:

Since I saw that walkers are getting better, are Sentinels any good? I really like how they look.

Outflanking Autocannon Scout Sentinels are always solid. They will still die to a stiff wind though. I don't expect them to live more than a single turn, but they usually get their points back.

That said, I really like my Armored Sentinels now. AV 12 is just the right place to where they can ignore small arms and if my opponent wants them dead, he has to sacrifice some of his hard hitters to take them down, leaving my tanks and chimeras alone. 50 points for an Armored Sentinel with a Plasma Cannon is just glorious. I've only just came back to the game recently with the new Guard codex and each game they have performed fantastically.

I do have a question about the new rules. I read on the 3++ blog that a weapon cannot allocate wounds outside of LOS. Does that mean if I have a mortar or some kind of artillery weapon that scatters behind a wall on models the weapon crew cannot see, the damage is negated? Does this affect the Hellhound's torrent attack?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So.... Asurmen just got a lot more fun to use. D3 Warlord Traits, re-rollable in a Battle-Forged list?

Since Strategic is now very good this could mean cool things for a certain mundane Phoenix Lord.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So did Dark Eldar gain anything from this new edition? Well, anything apart from being able to take stuff that isn't Dark Eldar?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 24, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'll have new photos after this weekend, but in the meantime here are some of the models I've already shown off:

Your models are tops and having Abaddon stand up and not hunched over/no-neck does a tremendous amount to improve how he looks (I know most of the model was replaced rather than repositioned, blah blah).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Going to have a couple of tester 7E games later today, so we'll see how this all works. Tempted to make up a Thousand Sons list but I'll probably use my new Nids.

How is the random allocation supposed to work when flaming open-topped vehicles and through firing ports? ...and what about firing into vehicle firing ports? that may be fun.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Crazy Ferret posted:

I do have a question about the new rules. I read on the 3++ blog that a weapon cannot allocate wounds outside of LOS. Does that mean if I have a mortar or some kind of artillery weapon that scatters behind a wall on models the weapon crew cannot see, the damage is negated? Does this affect the Hellhound's torrent attack?

I feel like this will get FAQ'd because it negates the whole point of artillery.

"Haha you can't see me! The fiery death raining down on me does nothing, teehee!".

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Not sure if any other Canadian Goons posted this before, but Meeplemart (think Canadian Warstore) partially dropped 40k and isnt doing anything to support 7e

quote:

Some of you may have noticed that Meeplemart has not received (or ordered) any new releases or restocks since Games Workshop launched their new website. This is due to their new retailer terms which were simultaneously introduced; capping what items and the amount of product Meeplemart is allowed to order. (This is not a MINIMUM requirement issue, this is a MAXIMUM allowed issue.)

In protest to these new limitations Meeplemart has NOT ordered in ANY WH40K 7th edition rule books, nor will we allow any legitimate 7th Edition rule books into the game space, for this (release) weekend. If GW sees no reason to support 3rd party retail, than likewise we see no reason to support their game system.

In addition, we are also VERY seriously considering completely cutting ties with the company and banning all GW gaming and products from Meeplemart.

I am finding it incredibly difficult to continue giving money to a company whose business practices I do not support.

So, until a decision is made, we are at an impasse...

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Karandras posted:

We got all the way to page 4 before a penis sheath reference, I think we're doing pretty well this time around.

Does anyone have the link to that weirdo's kickstarter comments handy, I really need to feature that on Your Terrible Hobby.

Also gently caress you whoever mentioned ebay I just logged in and ended up buying that mail-order captain.

Going to see what the new Orks book is like before I decide whether to bother buying 7th though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MisterShine posted:

Not sure if any other Canadian Goons posted this before, but Meeplemart (think Canadian Warstore) partially dropped 40k and isnt doing anything to support 7e

Whoa, it's almost as if GW's toxic business practices are starting to have consequences. :monocle:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

MisterShine posted:

:sbahj:

That's laying down the law properly, drat. I especially like how he implied that :filez: copies of the 7th Ed rulebook would be allowed.

As far as the toxic business practices, I'm sure TheWarStore's GW sales dropped after GW declared that 3rd party retailers were no longer allowed to use images of their models to move product. And GW wonders why their stock is sliding off.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Played my first game. So fun. So fun.

Tactical objectives own so hard it's unreal.
Played an ork buddy. He summoned demons on me. My thunderfire wrecked all his troops but due to tactical objectives he was winning until the final turn. Continually changing game dynamic and it really made me think each turn to score maximum points. Psychic phase was smooth as silk. Challenges are no longer busted.

My librarian went demonic, fired off soul flames and beams of death, before getting warp charged and staying his warlord. Then he went into CC with a kan fired a demon beam, blew up the kan behind the kan he was fighting, and then his head exploded from perils.

10/10 would blow own head off again

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So I bought some Leman Russes (mind you, I haven't touched IG in almost 7 years) - and neither kit came with a dozer blade or the covers for the tracks... Are those not part of the new kits?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've decided that this needs to be quoted on at least one more page.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
As many detachments as you want, eh?

quote:

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110
3x Thunderfire Cannon - 300

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

500pts per, 2k on the nose.

gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

CyberLord XP posted:

Is this real?

If so this is some serious bullshit. It's not like Ork vehicles weren't already a death trap, but now they are one even before they blow up? God I hope the new codex throws Orks a bone.

It seems that we either need to buy armour, slowing assualts or stick to foot, still take the templates but save on vehicles that are losing one of their key selling points.

Not that any of that matters; I don't play I just make models.

• Locked thread