Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
With the sort of new edition, is there any good reason to give (Salamanders) Marine sergeants anything other than combi-weapons? Overkill for challenges is all I've picked up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

I love the new title.

Hey, I LOVE your podcast. It's essentially what brought me back to this game after years away.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

The difference between a large MC and a walker can be rather tenuous; in the Riptide's case, it's basically "because the other battlesuits are not walkers, it isn't either."

If your buddy is fielding a Riptide, I would definitely say slip a Power Fist into that squad of Death Company. Riptides are scary in shooting and can be pretty fast, but if you get to assault one, that's basically game over for it. Your own Dreadnoughts will also do quite a number on it with their 5+ attacks that hit on 3s and wound on 2s. Monstrous Creatures got a lot weaker in combat with the new edition here, so in a lot of ways you're better off.

Do you think the 7th Edition changes generally justify non combi-weapon kit for Marine Sergeants and the like?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

What changed in that regard?

I was mainly thinking of Challenge overkill, but I don't have the book yet.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

The Gorkamorkanaut is definitely growing on me aesthetically. I love the cowcatcher belly/prow. The whole thing just looks so lazy and pleased with itself.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Moola posted:

This is what my group is doing, it works fine.

Here's an example of what we did to psychic powers:

So you can't Focus powers that are Warp Charge 1?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

If I were going to shake up 6th Edition Psychic Power generation but wanted to prioritize GW's apparent design goal of preventing players from cherry-picking their favorites, I'd consider giving psykers all of the powers in a single discipline, but making all non-Primaris powers one use only. Maybe with some kind of recharge mechanic. I haven't tried this out, though, and I'm sure there are specific characters or relics that would screw with it. Also I'm sure some people really like taking powers from multiple disciplines (maybe for purely fluff reasons) and I wouldn't want to completely shut that down.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Sykic posted:

Interrupting 7th chat to bring you more shite I've painted. In spite of Phyresis's many protests, I made something that isn't a Librarian.

It looks more ridiculous than I imagined it would. Still, that's 40K for you!

Back to 7th chat, they changed what powers a GK vehicle knows? What the gently caress? No more Fortitude?

I love this. Your color scheme is really lose to mine, which is probably part of it, but it's just really sick and well executed and I want to make one now.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

The rumours were that they were recalling DV and were going to swap out the old mini book for a new one, but that would appear to be untrue sadly. I can't see them doing an entirely new starter for 7th, unless they leave it another 2 years which is probably when it was due anyway.

VVV That was my plan too, but i really don't think we'll get one.

I believe the WD explicitly said they would put a new book in Dark Vengeance, it just didn't say when.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

WD also said that Unbound armies were limited by the Allies Matrix.

Aren't they?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

No, Unbound is literally "take whatever the gently caress you want".

VVV True, but I don't think that's what the WD article said.

I'm almost positive that's exactly what it said. "Unbound armies are still limited by our NEW AND IMPROVED allies matrix," or something very similar. It definitely didn't explain the matrix at that time, but if the matrix didn't continue to have a profound impact on choices, people wouldn't have been so troubled by the changes to Imperial Guard's relationship with Chaos.

Edit: to be clear, my point is just that "DV will get a 7E update" is probably true given that it came straight from the horse's mouth, which didn't blatantly lie in related comments made about the same thing at a similar time. I'm sure I agree with your interpretation of the merits of some of the changes themselves.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 29, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I was pretty happy to see unbound just means you can ignore the force Org for your army.

Also loving the new psi rules. A lot more interesting than "roll ld check, cast".

Did they make walkers good though? I can't really tell.

Better, I think? All of the non-Dread/Helbrute walkers I can think of were already good or improving but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I get you, but I do think there should be a fluffy reason why stuff happens. As I have said, the mechanics codify and model the fluff. But that said, fluff shouldn't be an excuse for poor rules, and fluff should be compromised when it gets in the way of good and fun rules. A good example of the latter is how poor marines are in the rules compared to how they are portrayed in the fluff because if they were up to fluff snuff, they would simply roll over everything else.

I actually did the math on this not too long ago and it might interest you to know that a "realistic" marine, arbitrarily defined here as one that can gun down ten Imperial Guardsmen blazing away at him from 12" away before dying at almost exactly the same time the last one drops, would be BS5, T5, W1, 2+ Save, 5+ FNP with a S5 AP5 Rapid Fire boltgun. There are other ways of getting the same result (adding Wounds, for example) but long story short a "realistic" marine probably looks more like a Centurion than a Primarch.

Ten Guard seemed appropriate but all you'd have to do to make it 20 is add a second Wound.

EDIT: Presumably he'd have WS, S, I, and Ld bumps to match, and presumably he'd also be true-scale!

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 29, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

In the fluff, a score or two of Marines (and their transports) is enough to conquer an entire planet. I don't think ten Guardsmen is really a good match, because while Marines deploy by the dozen or by the hundred, Guardsmen deploy by the million or by the billion.

Having a similar discussion the other day, our Tyranid player commented that "If that were the case, Tyranids should just be able to fill their entire deployment zone with models." He's not wrong.

Yeah but the whole planet isn't standing there with guns. The real force-multiplier value of a Marine is in the fact that they're incredibly self-sufficient, can stay awake indefinitely, can keep marching for days, and so forth. A lot of their value cannot possibly be reflected meaningfully on the battlefield no matter how much the system changes. "It should take more bullets to bust through power armor" is a much easier fix than "My one dude can skip breakfast whereas your army needs a supply chain that ultimately requires twelve Munitorum scribes and menials for every trooper."

I'm sure that when Dorn said he'd prefer a hundred marines to ten thousand lesser troops (or whatever) he was thinking about logistics, not just battlefield tactics.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

There's plenty of fluff where a squad of Guard take out a Marine, though. Most of the good fluff, even the ORGY OF SLAUGHTER stuff, doesn't have a lone nameless rank-and-file marine charge across an open plain at ten platoons of dug-in infantry and live to tell about it. Even in that Iron Snakes stuff, the unblooded marine that single-handedly delivers the world from the Dark Eldar doesn't try to brawl everybody at once.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

ChrisAsmadi posted:

There was a Movie Marines list in White Dwarf forever ago where the entire army was like, one Tactical Squad.

Yeah I remember that issue! I don't remember specifics, though; I gave all of mine away years ago.

I really like the idea of a Gears of War style game where one player has a handful of burly commandos and the other has hordes of dumb monsters. It's one of the reasons I like Kill Team so much--it's the scale I want, with the aesthetics and simplicity I adore.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

The new rulebook is certainly allowing Tuxedo Jack and his group to Forge a Narrative!

If his friends are terrible and feel entitled to houserule him to hell and back and he wants a beerhammer style, playing a different game isn't going to help anything unless it's dominoes or backgammon or something totally symmetrical.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I would like 2-4 Catachan heads for my new Scouts. Specifically, I would like at least one head with a bandanna and I would love the person-of-color-smoking-a-cigar head from the old Catachan Sentinel upgrade sprue. I used to have that head on one of my Marines before I sold them like 6 years ago, and I would love to make that dude again now that I'm back in this terrible game.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone have extra Catachan heads sitting around?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BuffaloChicken posted:

Hey Sule - I got 6 different Cat heads I can hit you up with. One is the Sentinel head with cigar and sunglasses - see below. Is that the one you're after?

I'll be gone from computers for the next week as I recertify as a Wilderness First Responder (pretending to be a Catachan IRL :madmax:), but if you're still looking for heads by next Friday shoot me a message.

Do it. Google "Ogre Pirate" and use that. Just shorten the legs a bit, give it a big Warboss head with a gob, and you've got your HQ. Comes complete with a grot in parrot costume.

Excellent.

That's the one! Also christ I love your models. I'm going to fit a heavily converted Knight Errant into my army eventually because of you :mrwhite:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah I have a half-dozen of those for my Warmachine armies and I'm going to start slipping in 40k cartridges too. I love KR.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

This Warmachine officer might work, although you might want to swap the weapons. One thing to keep in mind is a lot of female Privateer Press models are noticeably smaller than their male counterparts, which makes them good for 40k.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/units/winter-guard-officer-standard-bearer

Edit: if you're looking for more of a melee combatant, maybe

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/solos/nicia-tear-of-vengeance

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 6, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

When did "caseless" last appear in the fluff?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I too am interested in Space Marines. And Battlefleet Gothic if you have it. You should really consider just making a thread though.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I would like a female inquisitor model but that's entirely because one of the inquisitors in the dark heresy game I ran a couple years ago was female and I think it'd be cool to bring her back. She's supposed to be hundreds of years old though and I've always portrayed her as looking like she's in her late 50s/early 60s. Those Witch Hunter female inquisitors are okay but I don't really like the poses or wargear, the hair doesn't suit the character, and there's still a boobplate problem.

Actually I need a dude inquisitor too and they're both supposed to be in human-sized power armor so they could ostensibly be two dude models from the same svelte power armor range, provided that one of the dudes had a lady head

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm still of the opinion that female models just need a head swap. Unless you're a Battle Sister you're not going to wear a low-cut shirt and high heels into battle. While still silly, at least Adepta Sororitas armor is ceramite plating and not cloth.

I just don't want Astartes-sized power armor for my unaugmented humans.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I'm gunning for those Vanguard Veterans.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I adore Privateer Press but their plastics are pretty bad compared to GW's.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

This is a long bad post about warhams and even worse I used it to defend some models I didn't even pay for besides working for a few hours. Now I'm wondering which of the old EOT guys are still around. I see Sulecrist post but I miss huge human being

Hey who were you? I'm still facebook friends with a fair number of SDW/EoW people but I'm not sure who still plays. I took a break for like six years but I back playing a lot of Kill Team and Zone Mortalis stuff. I know a few of us got into Warmachine; that's the first place I went after leaving the hobby completely until ~2011. I'm sure other Dub people are still posting in here but our names changed so many times that I don't remember who's who. I can't even remember my own names (I think I was Problems With Poop! or toot toot im a kroot at the end).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Less than 1 hour until the WHFB/40k fire sale. Where the fire is you all shooting each other over man barbies!

Are we going to need to send you emails or jump through other hoops ("priority will be given to those who complete this grandmaster Sudoku puzzle") or is this a strictly speaking :protarget: deal?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I wish I'd kept more of my stuff when I got out. I wanted a clean break and I needed to unload a lot of it before I moved, but I ended up fireselling a ton of NIB stuff along with like 13k points of various armies for just a few hundred dollars. I had that Games Day thunderhammer captain and that limited edition inquisitor both new in blister, plus a ton of other completely untouched limited edition stuff.

I kept a few BFG fleets and I'm really glad about that. But kicking myself for unloading 4k of Imperials and 5k of Eldar for what was even then a song.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Squifferific posted:

What do you guys use for transporting your space barbies? I'm messing around on the KR Multicase site, and $180+ seems too steep for me.

I use KR for my Warmachine stuff. I probably have about $300 of stuff from them because I like it so much. I typically use the double backpack and then swap cartridges in and out.

Given that a Warhammer army can cost like $600 and take hundreds of hours of painting, I don't feel $200 for a case is too steep. I have had my collection seriously damaged before during transit, and after the last time it happened I decided to stop taking shortcuts.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Cataphract posted:

My nurgle daemon prince has been on the bench since the 6th ed codex dropped. I'm keen to put him back on the table. What's a good load out? Every time I've gone to build one they've wound up seeming too expensive.

Get me in the game coach!

God that's horrible. Everyone in this thread does daemons so loving well. I want some.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

SRM posted:

Read his Night Lords trilogy. It's all in a handy omnibus now too. After that, read The First Heretic and Betrayer. I like Abnett's stuff but I will champion ADB's books all day erry day.

Also since I dunno where else I'd post it, here's some bases I painted up today:

Those bases are great, where did you get them? I use the Tech-Deck bases from Dragonforge (my dudes specialize in boarding actions) but I could use some variety and I'd like some of the Imperial embellishments that those have.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I believe a Skyhammer Stormtalon is 125 points? Cool battle report though! Take pictures next time!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I asked about Scouts (non-Sniper) in this thread a month or two ago, and I have some follow-up questions for those of you who have them.

I'm either going to use bolters or shotguns, but there aren't enough arms for everybody. Where do you guys get the last set? Even if I put a combi-weapon on the Sergeant and shotguns on the others, I'm not sure where I'm going to get the last left arm from. Any sweet conversion solutions? Should I just build my heavy bolter guy?

Also: shotguns or bolters?

EDIT: ^^^^I love the way Multi-Meltas look too, but yeah, Heavy Bolters are the loving illest.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Beats me, all I've got are the old metal ones and some scratch built ones I made from Marine torsos and Catachan arms and legs.

Depends on usage. Now that you can always double fire Bolters within 12", the only advantage to Shotguns is being Assault Weapons, which in turn only matters if you plan to charge with them. So if you're going with a Vet Sarge w/ Power Fist or some such, have a ten man squad, and plan to Assault with them? Shotguns. If you just want an Infiltrating Objective Grab team or otherwise plan to stand in cover and shoot? Bolters.

AbusePuppy posted:

Can't help much with the modeling issue; I bought a couple packs back in the day, but I don't specifically remember what I did there (and I gave my dude a Heavy Bolter anyways.)

As far as Shotguns versus Bolters, it boils down to a pretty simple thing: you won't usually be assaulting with your Scouts, even if you have the option. Scouts are better than basic xenos troops in close combat, but not so much better that you'll be able to dive into them with a small squad most of the time, and with their weak WS and armor save, it's entirely possible that even something like Dire Avengers will just get a little bit lucky and punch you to death before you get to swing. Bolters get just as many shots as Shotguns will even under the best of circumstances, have an extra 12" of range (useful for pipping away from a distance as well as for pushing out the maximum kill distance you have) and benefit from AP5 should their target happen to be in the open. The rare circumstances when you will be at short-enough range to shoot and then follow with an assault- and not have wanted to be using BP/CCW instead- just aren't worth the other losses.

Cool, okay. I actually slightly prefer the look of the bolters anyway, and also I could theoretically use Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics at some point and if for some reason I ever got a Land Speeder Storm I'd want the models to match, so bolters it is. I'll use the heavy bolter, too, since these are kind of a handicap unit anyway and I think it's sweet, and anyway I don't expect them to be super mobile. Long story short, thanks for the advice.

Now all I need is those Catachan heads from BuffaloChicken and I can finish assembling.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I'm this close to converting a bunch of Guardian jetbikes and some Seers on jetbikes, but I just know GW is going to release new models for them right after I'm done making them.
:negative:

I went through this in 2003. I went ahead and did it; made a whole jetbike Seer Council. Then 11 years went by.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

How has it been 20 years and GW has never as far as I am aware made a Warlock on a Jetbike.

Seriously, it's been 20 years. Also, just realized other than a few resculpts unless I am just wrong a large majority of Eldar has been around for a long time.

I believe the guardian jetbike has been around since before I started playing, which was in... 1997? (I was 10 in 1997 and the Internet was not then what it is now so there's definitely a chance it came out shortly after.)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Sorry no the correct answer is some sort of Orkanaut Squigoth hybrid Centaur thing.

Loot one of those Lord of Skulls dudes.

Edit: pulled by two Squiggoths like a chariot

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

TKIY posted:

Any chance that you will be able to make a Dread Mob in the new codex, or can you still use the FW rules with the new codex?

Basically, I'd like an all walker Ork army including Kanz, Dreds, *orkonauts and a Stompa :D

Isn't this exactly why Unbound exists?

Related: at this point, what are the odds that a new Boyz kit is on the way? Or a new buggy? Those kits (though recut, iirc) are from the mid 90s, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Power Player posted:

The Boyz kit was from the last codex, so they're not that old. The buggy kit is SUPER old and I'm really surprised that there hasn't been anything about updating that. Maybe next week? I kinda doubt it at this point, though.

Yeah but the last Codex was 3rd Edition and came out like 15 years ago. I think the box originally had 16 or 20 and the sprue was recut to 10 (I might be making this up) but I don't believe the models themselves have changed since I was in middle school.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't play Orks but I'm putting together a Kill Team, starting with the Kommandos I ordered from Two Feet From Bread.

• Locked thread