Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Slimnoid posted:

That sounds pretty spergy. You have to generate at least one power from the God-based disciplines, and getting the Primaris seems good enough to me. Maybe they'll address it in the FAQ.

Not really. Daemon Princes and Sorcerers with the Daemonheart relic don't explode on any doubles, but otherwise Daemons summon Daemons far better than anyone else.

Eh it's Spergy but it is a literal interpretation.

I'm not going to bring this up anywhere but here, but you can shut down a summoning army pretty fast with those Servo Skull things.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait no they don't , I got them mixed up with jammers for whatever reason.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 26, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wouldn't mind seeing that whole army all together in one shot, just saying. Awesome as always SRM.

This is funny but I was actually looking through some old White Dwarfs the other day and was reminded of your Old School stuff, yours is WAaaaaaaaaaaaay better painted.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of have the same view on the word human being, which get's thrown around a good bit. I dunno I don't hang out at the local store unless it is to get a game going. I have a few people I've found to play games with so I rarely go plus I don't have the time.

I've found though that it incredibly enjoyable to confront someone saying stuff like that because they get really loving weird and obviously made uncomfortable. Then for the rest of the game they just loving sit there.

Maybe it's me and my perverse pleasure on calling people out on bullshit stuff like that.

Also, what's weird is I live in a very liberal city, and it's just kind of amusing to hear that kind of poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

So, I might be giving 7th a try with my GK against Tyranids. Would I be a terrible person to bring a Land Raider against him? I was thinking of having a mix of Divination and Sanctic psykers so I can try to score 3++ saves on my better units. What other gimmicks can I pull to show my gaming group how horrible and unbalanced 7th edition is? The only sizable armies I have are Tyranids and GKs so I can't abuse daemonspam even if I wanted to.

Grey Knights are weird right now, aren't they still a 5th edition book and 6th edition added in what Psychic Disciplines they actually have access to? I am not familiar with the whole issue with them. I know someone brought it up that Grey Knights lost their ability to get Divination now or something to that effect because of the change from 6th to 7th.

I do know that because their vehicles count as ML1 , then that adds Warp Charge to your army so if you have a decent number of vehicles you get more Warp Charge.

Also, you can fire Witchfire and still fire in the Shooting phase.

Sanctic has a kind of lovely except against Daemons psychic power so that kind of blows but really you just want to roll on it to get loving vortex.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 26, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Um... I think Grey Knight Rhinos can cast Vortex and other Sanctic powers. I have to investigate this further. The rulebook gave all psykers access to Daemonology, Psychic Pilot counts as a ML1 psyker, previously the only Psychic power available to them was Fortitude. The reason they couldn't take any Disciplines before or any other powers and had to take Fortitude was that that was all that was available to them. Now they have access to Fortitude and Daemonology.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 26, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes, I got it confused with something else. Now to watch this argument about Grey Knight Rhinos casting Vortex.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Well uh... That's something. So my 40 point Rhinos can now turn into mini Vindicators?

Until it's FAQ or working as intended, probably. I can't find anything in the main rulebook, in fact it says vehicles can use psychic powers and that Psychic Pilots count as Psykers, and Psychic Pilots for Greyknights count as ML1. Previously they had access only to the Psychic Power : Fortitude. Now the Psychic Powers they have access to are Fortitude, Daemonology : Sanctic. Also you'd have to actually roll that.

I'm argue about it elsewhere I'm sure there is something that stops this.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 26, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay you can't do it. Sort of. Jury is still out but I think not.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 26, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

FAQ will probably make that not possible but for now it's totally legit as far as I can tell.

There's a entry about Psykers generating specific powers automatically having that power, but it's weird wording on All Psykers have access to Daemonology.

In some Army List Entries, a Psyker will have one or more specific psychic powers listed – where this is the case, it will be clearly stated. These Psykers always start the game with those psychic powers. Otherwise, a Psyker generates random psychic powers from amongst the psychic disciplines known to him.

It's going to be Faqed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Isn't there the big chart in the BRB that tells us the power availability? From memory, the psychic cards had a card chart showing GKs could use everything except Malefic and Telekinesis I think. The 6th ed book stated that only GK librarians could roll on the BRB charts so I was wondering if there was something similar, but if it's all psykers* then that's awesome for me.

*Excluding Tyranids

Sort of not really, in the psychic deck there's this stupid quick reference chart that states all this bullshit and doesn't make any sense.

There's no such chart in the 7th BRB which is dumb but all psykers do have access to Daemonology but yeah Take Vehicles like cheap dumb vehicles. Because they add to your Warp Pool now.

edit:

About the Psychic Pilot thing and why Greyknights, because Greyknights specifically does not say it doesn't roll for Psychic powers and always knows that. Hemlock Fighter specifies that. I think those are the only two vehicles in the game with that ability.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 26, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cataphract posted:

actually vector strike got nerfed. it now only does 1 hit against ground targets as opposed to d3+1

and, yeah, if you're an ork army playing against someone who is spamming flamer weapons you're hosed from the get go.

Actually the Heldrake still does it's crazy Vector Strike thing, cause it's a special rule in it's Codex. Just like CCB in Necron still gets the Sweep Attack even though that was removed from Chariots.

Blue Scribes are also hilariously broken right now, if anyone is wondering they cast a spell automatically , you can pick Malefic, they can automatically summon a Daemon or get Possessed by a Greater Daemon. Their 81 points.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fun with FOC Combined arms tactics

HQ
Necron Lord on CCB w/ Fixings

Troops
5 Man Warrior
Ghost Ark
5 Man Warrior

F. Attack
Scarabs x 10

H. Support
Tomb Spyder x 3
Tomb Spyder x 3
Tomb Spyder x 3

Combined Arms
Destroyer Lord

Troops
5 x Warriors
5 x Warriors
F. Attack
6 Wraiths
H. Support
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge

Bad Idea?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Heldrake's Meteoric Descent special rule just lets them do a Vector Strike while zooming, and the attack is resolved at S7. Otherwise it follows all the rules for a Vector Strike, which means it's only 1 attack against ground targets.

People who load them up in drop pods/DS/vendettas I guess? I suppose you could load up a Sternguard squad with combi-flamers/heavy flamer in a drop pod if you really want to get rid of an infantry unit, but it'd be kind of pointless all things considered.

Whats weird is I actually have a Chaos Space Marine army, and have read the rulebook and still believed a guy when he started doing D6 Vector Strike hits with Heldrakes to my army.

I will never trust anyone ever again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Combined Armies really seem the way to go right now, you want to have 4 troops plus you get all the extra FOCs and are Battleforged. I can't see a reason to just only take a Primary Detachment unless you only have 1 HQ.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This this is amazing and needs to be in the original op. Did you paint this?

I think this is funny

So... if you play it that Grey Knight squads can choose to roll on Sanctic instead having to take their powers from the list in the codex then you have to let them do it for their Rhinos as well which is hilarious.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Whoops sorry double post.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh neat how are those Daemonlord Guys they seem pretty cool.Where could I find those rules.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I didn't play at the time but didn't Tyranids at one point have access to Biomancy? They should let them have that again. The Tyranid powers are kind of lovely.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bavius posted:

So I hear alot about this daemon summoning daemon poo poo, but what about land raiders filled with bloodthirsters? I want to see the coolest combos (not necessarily the cheesiest) that battle brother transports allow now.

I think Flying Monstrous Creatures count as very bulky. I'm not sure but there is some other weird rule that makes it so that they can't do that.You can't start in Dedicated Transports but you can start a Space Marine squad in reserve in a Valkryie I think. Dark Eldar have to loan out their transports to Banshees , so they can charge people.

Oh I was super happy about this

So with Assault being reduced -2 for difficult terrain, my Necrons got a inadvertent super boost to being in terrain and a weapon they have. Tremor Stave and Seismic Crucible.

If you are in difficult terrain the assaulting unit is going to get -2 + - D3 taken off their charge range. Plus can shoot a unit with a Tremorstave and they count as moving in difficult terrain so good luck with charging a dug in necron force. You have to really get in their face to charge them now.

CCBs, Finally my Necron Overlord can issue challenges from his chariot and be locked in combat so he doesn't get the crap blasted out of him.

Scarabs are Scoring. HA!

The Walker is actually good now, it gets Hammer of wrath which is cool.

Disco Inferno Royale court got a boost by becoming scoring.

Overall Necrons got alot of really cool new rules that make them better now so I'm happy.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Woah Faqs are out time to see how badly my Necrons got hosed.

Also, please tell me they clarified Psychic Pilot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tadhg posted:

Did you just skip the last few pages of the thread to post that?

I just saw that people were posted went back and heaved a sigh of relief to see that there is not in fact a " Replace Army with " Give opposing player a dirty handjob for all entries".

Really happy that they fixed some things.

Oh in Regards to the Catacomb Command Barge it in fact gained a bunch of advantages it previously did not have so yes, it is good. It lost some stuff but you no longer have to worry about not killing a unit then getting shot to pieces because your not in close combat technically.

I like that Eldar Flying thing can turn into a Greater Daemon and Summon Daemons. That makes sense.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eldar have to be really happy now that they have a vehicle that can turn into a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh.

Edit:

Looking at the Blood Angels list it looks like they may have finally fixed Commander Dante or whoever it was that was technically not a independent character and could not join squads.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fix posted:

^^^^ Which one is that?

"Ignore this book. Thanks for the money."

That Nightbringerofdoom or something like that the one flyer they have I think.

Blood Angel's Furioso Dreadnoughts became pretty bad rear end. Yes, I will pick Telepathy. You need 6s to hit me I am invisible.

Weirdly they have access to Biomancy :stare:

Everyone get's Faqs*

*Except Tyranids. Seriously how hard is it fix one stupid rule, Shadow in the Warp.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pacheeco posted:

Jets turning into Daemons sounds cool as gently caress.

Where and what are you reading regarding BA? The only non-IC HQs in BA are Mephiston, DC Tycho and The Sanguinor. Are all "Characters" just "Independent Characters" now? Because just based on the FAQ it seems like it turned every IC into a Character and now none of them can join units.

I think that's what that means now. Although gonan laugh sohard if it's the opposite. It just says (Character). So I think that's it's type or something let me look.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Are we feeling that psychics are the next big thing? Do take all comer lists now require somebody to 'debuff' and counter enemy spells?

Yes, Absolutely . They for some reason changed Daemons the way they choose Heralds. Each Detachment can now have 4.

Summoning Daemons is here to stay especially with the changes. My favorite has to be that with a combined arms you can have

5 Soul Grinders
6 Heralds
4 Squads 16 of Pink Horrors
That's 30 Power Dice and that's not even close to being powerful.
Fun!!

You can do all kinds of poo poo now with Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Daemons which is cool just any other army is gonna not come close at all to what Chaos Daemons can put out in a Battleforged or Combined Arms list with out just taking a Unbound list.

Eldar can KIND of come close. Everyone else No.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If your opponent is not spamming summoning, what exactly are psykers doing that you really give a poo poo about?

This isn't new, a single 'Herald' HQ slot in C:CD allowed you to bring 4 Heralds.

No, it didn't work that way, this was a huge argument. Just your primary not allied detachment got this. It doesn't matter it's a old rule.

Uh. Pink Horrors and Heralds of Tzeentch do have shooting attacks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes it doesn't look impressive until you realize

1. Heralds of Tzeentch can pick Divination ( in fact you want them to at least 2 of them) and become an absolute gunboat now with ST5 shots.

In fact you actually don't want to spend all your stuff on just Daemonology because you want to be able to get Misfortune and Precognition alongwith Fortune thing. Why?

Fortune on a SoulGrinder that has Cursed Earth up has a 3+ reroll 1 Invulnerable. You thought that having 1 Seerstar was bad, have 4 3+ invulnerable Soul Grinders running at you with that is not fun at all.

Daemons will most certainly be a top tier army next to Eldar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah and that guy was messing around. There's no real reason to even take Fateweaver, you want to take a Bluescribe.

Blue Scribes somehow became one of the best units in the entire codex with the FAQ.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The Blue Scribe's functionality didn't change in the FAQ, did it? All they did was change the language of the Scrolls to work in 7th.

Yeah but I'd said before hand they'd be the defact best unit at summoning, now they changed it so that it's not at the beginning of the turn and it counts as using the minimum number of Warp Charge needed to cast it.

So each turn you basically got a 1 in 6 chance of them turning into a Greater Daemon.

Summoning armies have some disadvantages though you can Alpha Strike them pretty easily and some other such things, but the fact is even if you charge them if you don't kill all of them in CC they can still summon while in Combat, the only restriction to Psychic Powers in CC is Witchfire I believe.

It's just a very powerful army.

In fact you shouldn't play a full on Summoning army but a mix of CSM and Chaos Daemons. Cause it TAKES FOR EVER. Chaos Space Marines got a huge boost in power with being Battle Brothers with Daemons.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Imperial Guard can get that like Warding Armour or whatever that is really cheap, that gives the unit Adamantium Will so that helps against witch fire at least. Otherwise, IG will never unless dedicated to it come close to getting enough dice to reliably shut down a army that's going all in on the Psychic Phase.

Well depending on how the tournament is laid out there's no reason why a full Jetbike army for Eldar shouldn't win every single game considering that 2/3 of the Objectives are hold objectives.

Kind of crazy. Space Marine Bikes as well. Anything that is really fast can grab objectives like crazy.

Kind of interesting. I've yet to play with the new Mission Cards but it seems more fun and dynamic.

Also people who are coming up with Daemonstars don't realize that with Sacrifice you can go fishing for Psychic Powers. Slaanesh gets Telepathy, Nurgle Gets Biomancy, the only spells you can't cast when summoned are conjurations. Slaanesh is really good to grab because of the Primaris power.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fateweavers entry specifically states that he only generates Warp Charge for 1 Level 4. So no.

Summoning Daemons doesn't work well if you don't do it right and people think it's a I win button, but in a game where you are to control objectives and have mission goals you have to be very specific in what you summon to fulfill what purpose you require.The bad news on that is that you can in fact summon Calvary and Flyers that can easily and quickly grab objectives.It's not the end all be all.

Eldar will now still give it a run for it's money but their Psychic Game is gonna get shut down.

Edit

Some things that people didn't or maybe have not noticed this edition.

There's no limit to how much of your force you can put in Reserve. Huge boost to Drop Pod Armies.

Tank Shock is kind of awesome now

Battle Brothers can repair each others vehicles

Just stuff I found cool.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes, I've pointed out the Barrage eats their loving lunch. D-Cannons, Mortars! (Seriously take Mortars now Imperial Guard), Thunderfire , Manticore, etc.. etc..

Also super fast armies can just ignore them with impunity and shoot the poo poo out of them, as it's a rather slow army.
Eldar specifically on Jetbikes can seriously mess the army up.
Anything Alphastrike for example can mess it up.

A huge boost in power terms to being able to Double up on HQs now with Combined Forces, make Tyranids a beast in some instances against it.

Fliers give them trouble.

It's why a all summoning army isn't that great However having some Heralds and Horrors summoning Daemons while you as the Chaos Player do your thing is pretty keen. Or take a stupid Fortification like 3 Void Shields or a Bastion.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You really want to take a decent amount of Barrage now if you are a army that doesn't want to go heavy on Psykers.

Of Course.. they can always just go the " Yeah my army is 24 Warp Charge FMC " which can be annoying it's why taking just Heralds and Pink Horrors is dumb. Take Soul Grinders, and some fortification of something to hide inside if you don't go first.

There's lots of poo poo that will kill that army, Space Marine Snipers kill it they can target the heralds.

It's not invincible, unless they go first and get a really good Summoning Phase then you could kind of be boned.

It's pretty much a Alpha Strike army that depends on going first, you not having anything to quickly get rid of the Heralds, not being able to shoot at their Heralds and Pink Horrors, Not having mass barrage. If it goes first and has a good first turn, good luck , if it doesn't though and you get the jump on it then not so much.

For example : Two Landspeeder Storms ? ( I think that is what they are called) Can really annoy the poo poo out of it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've never understood why people who do battle reports at least don't put on a little bit of foundation and maybe dress up a little bit. Seriously you're on camera and people are seeing you be presentable.

Honestly, more guys should use foundation, it makes you look younger and get's rid of that redness.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's just something to even out your skin tone, it's not like I'm saying glob yourself in make up. It's great for covering up blemishes. Also , please pluck your eyebrows.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think you guys don't understand what foundation is. It's just something that evens out skin tone and it helps get rid of blemishes. No one would know if you were wearing it and it'd actually make you look better.

I'm saying if you do a battle report and are on camera look your best. It's just a professional thing of course I am a theater performer so I have different standards. People automatically judge you by your appearance in the first few moments of meeting them, you never get another first impression.

It's why when doing video etc look your best. Not saying wear a 3 piece suit but try not to look like a extra from Twilight.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 28, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have a instant hate for anyone who wears shorts that have more than 4 pockets, along with a utilikilt. Just get a nice attache or manbag to carry your things in.

I just want to start punching and not stop the instant I see a kilt on someone who does not also have accompanying Scottish Bagpipes and there's not a dead body being put in the ground nearby.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

New Flesh Tone paints to look the part of your Undead Horde, don't worry with your clothes, hygiene, and facial blemishes you are already half way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

How do you afford this hobby? One of my sisters has worked as a stage manager for years in New York and she doesn't make much. :smith:

I live in Chicago. So it's cheaper, plus I have like real job. Also I don't have a poo poo ton of models, I have like Dark Vengeance, then some Necrons I've been buying on Ebay and now I have some Pink Horrors and some other daemon dudes. At most I have like 3k, and that's everything which I can now play with because of Come the Apocalypse allying.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Don't work in New York. It does not matter what your job is.

This.

Anyone else see that GW reversed the whole Heldrake has 360 degree thing back to having Hull Mounted. Lotta tears over that one. Also I like that they gave Orks a FAQ even though their book is out in a few weeks. Sisters got nothing though .

Oh and Space Wolves apparently lost all of their Psychic Powers.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread