Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Note the many references in White Dwarf about "twists of fate!" and "tables turning." The cards are the epitome of that, anyone can win at any time, it makes nerds excited about things.

Warhammer: Blue Shell Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The power blades are honestly so I can only buy 2 models and not have to mix and match buying 4 Castellax; likewise 50 points of the Praetor is spent on Warsmith+Cortex. He's a big investment but the Castellax are a big part of the list so I think it's worth it.

Who gives a poo poo about WYSIWYG. I bought some MM Castellax too and I sure as hell won't be counting those saws as power blades.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Now it's just +1 to Deny the Witch.

Haha, good.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The shooting attack is a little lame compared to a double-shot battle cannon or a large blast melta, but that model is amazing. :allears:

You don't really want the cerastus to be shooting at things though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The best marines (of the green variety at least) are getting some sweet stuff.

More dragons and flames than you can shake a stick at.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I have to admit I'm really liking those Orks. I probably shouldn't but I just may have to pick up a kit or two :shobon:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Now that their book is out, have they given any indication when we can expect to see some raven guard for 30k?

Unless there is a surprise release, we have no indication of their models coming out in the foreseeable future.
Usually FW will show their upcoming line up at events and that gives a good indication of what they are focusing on. They've shown nothing of the RG yet, so...

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah. Ferrus Manus, Angron, Imotekh and Tiktaq'to all look down upon these stupid puny names. Shameful.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

I didn't see anyone comment on it already, but the Thanatar is up for preorder. Whoof, that thing's huge.

Oh god yes it looks even better than I thought.

It's not exactly mind-blowing in-game, but it's quite serviceable.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

In case anyone was interested, i think Eternal Crusade is now in beta and they dropped a quick vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwQD_FwZgM

Too bad the game itself looks like rear end. Could be pretty fun, but looks like rear end.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The best part of DoW2 is The Last Stand, which is close enough.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
30k chat, I have really not followed most of the 7th edition changes. How have they impacted legions and the mechanicus forces?

As far as I can tell, legion psykers are poo poo now because they can't be fielded in large enough numbers + take a HQ slot (except maybe Word Bearers?), but mechanicus forces seem to have received a nice boost with Objective Secured?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I always wanted to get one of those models for my chaos army, but now with 30k, I have too many other toys to get.

Once the Dark Mechanicus book rolls out... :black101:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So this is what I'm thinking of doing for low-point games

HQ
Archmagos Prime + cyber-familiar + machinator array + lachrimallus + master-crafted phased-plasma fusil + djinn-skein
235 points

Thallax Cohort
Empyrite
160 points

Thallax Cohort
Empyrite
160 points

Thallax Cohort
Empyrite + Photon thruster
185 points

Adsecularis Covenant
10 Thralls + mitralocks + RoPT + Revenant Alchemistry
105 points

Around 850 points, and it includes a T6, 2+3+++, 5+ FNP hero that fires 3 BS6 plasma shots a turn.

Couple of things:

- I would give each Thallax unit a Multi-Melta. Photon Thrusters are nice, but you pay a big premium for a tool that doesn't mesh well with the Lightning Guns.
- Empyrite is nice protection, but at T5 W3 they're already plenty resilient and the points can be used elsewhere.
- The Magos is a huge point sink for only three plasma shots. Resilient, but he could get tarpitted.

An idea might be to get a Castellax in there (85 points), tool-up the Mago for melee, and have both smash stuff in the proverbial dick.
At low points a Castellax should make a lot of people angry.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

My problem now is dealing with the expensive impulse to now buy a bunch of their dry paints for post-wash highlight-drybrushing. :shepspends:

You can drybrush with any paint, you don't need gimmicks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a Space Marine codex* so whatever they do expect it to be hilariously competitive and make xenos players ever more bitter.

*Unless it has the words "Dark" and "Angels" in its name.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Maybe it's the top down angle on that picture but those Tyranid models look weird.

It's not the angle, they do look weird. Old aesthetic.

PierreTheMime posted:

Can't wait for the Malanthrope to somehow become worse.

xtothez posted:

They get some special rule related to challenges.

Glorious :allears:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Are any of those "board game" versions of 40k any good? The ones now not previous ones.

Horus Heresy is a great way to find out who among your friends has the greatest endurance for bullshit.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Forge World - having no idea of what to do with Tyranids - is now resorting to bashing together random concepts in the hopes of making something cool.

Hahaha.

On the flip side, Vulkan and the Gal-Vorbak are loving awesome.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

It would have to delicately lean down from its 40ft height for such a thing. Being so tall the drat thing can't even use its ridiculous talon-claw-things properly against infantry. It would have to resort to punt-kicking things with its dainty hooves.

Most Tyranid bioforms have specific purposes and/or origins. I cannot fathom what purpose this stupid-thing would be useful for. It's too tall to attack infantry, too slender to have the mass to assault Titans, and without any ranged weapons (aside from likely a 6-12" tendril attack with Precision Shot :jerkbag:). I can't wait for it to have S6-7 and a ton of wounds with no decent save and no D-strength anything, having to resort to single Smash attacks which it will miss 1/2 the time because it will be WS3 for no goddamn reason--another glorious Apocalypse-level Tyranid model design. The thing is a Liefeld-level failure visually. And I LIKE Tyranids.

It's supposed to grab things with its chest-maw-claws-whatever, I guess? So it has those little hands with tentacles in order to grab infantry and drag them into its chest, and... I guess those double scythes are there to grab bigger garbage into its chest. The reverse blades are there so that it can do some kickass ninja moves on anyone approaching from behind. And its helmet allows it to headbutt fuckers, because that thing is a big fan of football and Zidane. Makes sense.

Nevermind, I think I put more thought into justifying that model that the modeller did. The actual design behind the model is:
It's a giant lictor. With the Hive Guard helmet cuz it's cool. And it has scything tal... no, double scything talons! And rending claws... but it needs some tentacles so... tentacle-rending-claws! And it has some biomorph on its chest that does.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 16, 2014

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I think it's the fact that it's lower torso is thinner than the upper torso, that makes anything look weird. That and it's wearing a Fedora.

M'hive mind. *Tips chitin*

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Speckled Jim posted:

Gold chat time. Who can reccomend a good gold metallic. I have gehennas gold and auric gold from the citadel range, but they are impossible to keep from seperating. In fact i havnt used them in a few months, i wouldnt be surprised if theyre beyond useless now.

Easy route: Vallejo Model Air metallics.
Ultimate route: Vallejo Liquid Gold metallics.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bavius posted:

Can you airbrush it?

You can yeah, but keep in mind it dries insanely fast. Really fast.

I've been using Old Gold as my base layer and the usual GW washes just fine for my Black Legion. For my mechanicum army though I plan on giving oil washes a try.
But then again, I personally like having a very bright, eye catching gold.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I love oil washes and I am pumped to see you use them. I hate being a broken record in the painting thread.

Your kickass tanks and tutorials are the reason why I want to try them :allears:
A lot of things going on in life right now that prevent me from painting my little toy space robot cult though.

I see the orks decided to drop giant smarties on the battlefield.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The Wolfclaw-stormfang'wolfing is pretty neat, but I'd rather use the actual Caestus ram.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bavius posted:

I wish the Caestus had cooler rules.

I have not really paid attention to any recent rule updates to it, but it is (or was) pretty drat strong. Not super complicated or fancy, just... strong.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

They're obliged to protect their IP, but some of the poo poo they've gone after is bananas.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I didn't know GW made all announcements in-character. Must have been hard not to shout 'For the Emperor!' while giving that speech.

At this point he probably thinks he is the emperor.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Let Hasbro buy the drat company and either replace or train the design team.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Since we're discussing somew bitchin' Word Bearers, FW just released the Gal Vorbak who, too, are bitchin'.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I've always wondered why Forge World don't do resin bases. It'd be like free loving money.

"I've always wondered why [GW/FW] don't do [good or sensible idea]. It'd be like free loving money."

The one advantage though is that you'd probably have to do quite a bit of cleanup on those bases, compared to the pristine ones from the likes of Dragon Forge.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
New GK Codex! Now with more less units including Mordrak and his ghost brominators!
Business as usual at GW :downs:

But seriously, that's loving sad. I love me some Grey Knights, and this would have been the perfect opportunity to flesh out their units.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Sounds like Codex: No Fun Allowed.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Codex Grey Knights is the ultimate proof that GW will nerf existing units just so that they can sell their lovely new 3D-designed hot garbage models with overpowered rules.

:downs:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Wouldn't that require them to have a new model coming with the book?

That's the joke.

I messaged a friend about the codex, and his reply was to ask specifically which units got nerfed and replaced by new kits. Seems like people still think GW's designers are capable of such advanced tricks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

Did anybody pay for the Tau Commander Last Stand add-on? How was he? The Hive Tyrant felt like it fell off pretty hard in the later stages but all the others seemed alright.

One of the better designed heroes. He's super fun and pretty drat good.

The Hive Tyrant needs some gimmick build (pet bombs if I remember) to be effective from start to finish, but to be fair he's not the only one.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Flamer survivors.

Bigger is better.

I have no mouth and I must scream.

I do have a mouth but I still can't scream.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Soulfucker posted:

At this point I'm dreading the post where someone jumps in and starts defending the greenstuff Trygon abomination.

Wait it's a trygon? I thought... it was just a really big, unfinished hormagaunt. drat that's some new perspective on that horror.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Those new 30k models are all amazing. Guess I need to kick my rear end into gear once I'm back home and paint what I have before I get any more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Don't paint too fast, you don't want to die before you make your order and have it in hand

Only six Castellax, nine Thallax and a small horde of thralls! All in dirty bone white. Ivan already see myself giving up again soon after starting.

BULBASAUR posted:

Hot drat the Imperial Army looks so much better than the Imperial Guard:

Those dudes mean business. Maybe... Maybe FW will eventually do Spireguards. Probably not though.

• Locked thread