Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Someone has compared the new book to the old one. There are 6 new pages of rules content. 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ghetto wormhole posted:

There are 4 pages on super heavy vehicles alone so that 6 pages thing is definitely bullshit. I guess maybe you wouldn't call that all new rules but still it's new to the BRB.

That stuff was in the escalation so I dont think he's considering that new rules. From reading what hes written, its literally the psychic phase and all the additional stuff in the USR's that wasnt in the previous versions. A lot of it is almost a direct C&P from the last book/supplements.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The smash attack reduction is directly a result of the flying circus daemon prince lists. Same for Swooping MC's being unable to charge on the turn they land.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Who even takes flamers in squads when you can have a plasma/melta gun too?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I guess someone planning on facing Orks?

joke answer 30k death guard.

Well yeah but your typical army would still be better off with Plasma guns. Even against Orks since they will smash their transports up at the opposite side of the table, not do 2-3 wounds once they're in assault range.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Daedleh posted:

The MANz look like repaints of the existing ones. From what we've heard (from the same source who first described the Gorkamorkanaughts), the new MANz are a complete redesign.

If there were brand new Mega Nobz, they wouldnt be using old ones in pictures with this model.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
All of the FAQ's are up.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

"Q. How do I determine the arc of sight for a Heldrake's ranged weapon?
A: Treat the Heldrake's ranged weapon as a hull mounted weapon, measuring all ranges and line of sight from the barrel of the gun."

Is this a new change? That seems like a fairly significant nerf for a Heldrake.

Means its not a turret now. Significant nerf for the Helldrake.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

That's it. GW nerfed Flamers massively after everyone had rushed out and bought every flamer they could lay their hands on. GH is suggesting he not rush out and buy a shitload of Horrors.

That never stops being funny though. Its what power gamers deserve.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

Don't be daft! :) People still bitch about Draigo being OP, when he wasn't even OP to begin with.

He was if you were awful at 40k!

I loved my Draigo and Crowe army.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tequila Ranger posted:

The old Grey Knight Hammerhand power explicitly could be stacked, can the new +2 Str Sanctic Hammerhand stack as well? Nemesis Halberds being S8 AP3 hitting at Init 6 sounds hilarious.

They FAQ'd that Hammerhand couldn't be stacked back in 5th edition. So no, the new one cant stack.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 28, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AbusePuppy posted:

And FAAC chumps deserve to get their poo poo kicked in time after time by competent players who actually know the rules of the game.

Why do you always assume that people that don't want to be min max rules lawyering dicks don't know the rules nor how to play? You get so mad about people not wanting to break the game to their advantage. Maybe you need a break?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AbusePuppy posted:

In your case? Because of the passive-aggressive, snippy things you constantly say about competitive players. I know I'm not the only one who finds it incredibly tiresome.

And how does that translate to 'not knowing how to play the game'?

I know how to play. Fix clearly knows the rules too yet he's quite happy to bring a 'sub optimal wtf why would you do that?' fortification to his games. I think you just don't understand why people wouldn't want to be dicks to other people.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fix posted:

Seriously, I just hate guardsmen and like to watch them die.

Sounds like you should be in charge of a lot of them then!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Naramyth posted:

Knowing the rules and understanding how the game plays out are two different things.

Why do you have this pathological need to prove you're superior to anyone that doesn't play the game like you do?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Naramyth posted:

I'm not trying to prove anything. I want a skilled community to play in. If the bottom level gets better we all get better.

There you go again. Just because they don't run the latest metagame list doesn't mean they're the bottom of the barrel skill wise.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Naramyth posted:

Fine. Not skill. Challenge. I've played lovely players with awesome lists, I've played awesome players with lovely lists. I want everyone to be awesome players with awesome lists. And if the bottom of the challenge barrel gets better we all get better, both in lists and in skill.

Because you need to have both to really be a good challenge and have the critical eye and the correct kind of ego to look at your list, see what doesn't work and make adjustments.

I think that's the problem I have with non-competitive players. Their ego gets hurt when adjustments to their list or play are suggested. The thing is this isn't D&D. This isn't a cooperative game. This is a game with a huge investment and there is going to be a winner and a loser at the end so why wouldn't you want to get better list or skill wise? It just makes no sense to me. I mean I sort of see the sunk cost fallacy, or an expectation to win because of the money spent but hey, I spent the same amount, and probably had to spend again to get models that I actually needed and not what I thought would work on the first pass. Sure it sucks I have crap in foam and boxes and shelves that don't get play but that's the nature of the game.

I remember walking though the Renegade Open taking photos of armies. I was near the bottom tables and I heard a couple players talking to each other. One asked the other how they are doing and the guy replied "Well, I'm having fun :smith:". The guy had not won a game and I could hear the defeat in his voice. And yeah, he may have been having a certain value of fun but I know, loving know that he would have been having objectively more fun if he won a game or three.

tl;dr: *beep boop* I don't understand the motivations of the majority of the gaming community. *beep boop*

I think this is where you confusion is. You seem to equate casual players as people who 'Don't know what they're doing, and when told otherwise their ego stops them from listening to me and thus being a better player.' You also seem to think that 'casual' players seem to think they deserve to win because they've spent money on the models they have. This is where you're going wrong.

Sometimes a casual player wont listen when you tell them that Assault Squads are awful and they should really be running grav gun bikes for the same points, not because their ego is too big, nor because they feel they've spent this money and thus their unit will be good no matter what, but because they really really like Space Marines with Jetpacks. They're not listening to you because you're wandering up to them and saying 'Oh hey you know this thing that you really like, that thing you started the army entirely to have? Its poo poo, throw it in the bin and get this instead if you want to win. See ya.' These are the people that wont have boxes of models sat gathering dust because they're not 'optimal'. They'll be dug out and thrown on the board.

And another thing. You seem to think that just because those guys at the bottom tables hadnt won anything they were 'play for fun guys'. Have you ever stopped to consider that they're a win at all costs type and they're just really really bad at the game? And thats why they were so depressed?

I know I wouldn't go to a tournament purely because I know I'd play at least 2 games against identikit top tier lists where the only difference is the guy rolling the dice. I'm pretty sure its an opinion held by many other people that view the game the same as me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I had to do an inventory of my stuff for the house insurance since they would never believe how much I had if it burned down. The value of the display cabinet was terrifying, never mind the cases full of stuff I have.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ghost Hand posted:

I took video of my gaming room and the stuff in it for this purpose. That video is stored off site.

The poor missus had to explain to the sales man that I have a problem.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Gate posted:

Because people complained while still buying mountains of stuff anyway. It's not like GW ever showed even a hint of listening to or responding to customer complaints about anything other than damaged or missing product. If they're not going to take customer feedback, they don't really need to maintain the sort of relationship Facebook, a forum, Twitter, etc provide. It's just wasted effort for them.

Forgeworld, notably, does appear to listen to feedback, releases playtest rules that often change dramatically for some models by release of the book they're in, and is (shock and gasp) seen in a much better light than GW prime. Despite being even more expensive (sorry, Austrailia) than GW, with often massive effort needed to assemble the units and really loving expensive books, people don't hate on FW nearly as much. I think it's at least partly due to the fact that there's at least a little back and forth with FW. Also, they tend to make even cooler poo poo that people drool over, but that's entirely their purpose I guess.

I've always found it a bit interesting that Forgeworld get a pass on their prices because they're a 'luxury', despite the entire game being a 'luxury' to begin with.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I kind of figured they had a lose lose situation going on. Every social page they've ever had was overrun with idiots who didnt play, paint or buy anything from GW anymore whos sole existence was to just poo poo on every announcement and bitch and whinge until the thing was inevitably deleted.

It just gave a false legitimacy to the 'loads of people hate x' crowd, because the same 4 people would be commenting and commenting. You'd have people on other forums using this as a true indicator that 'everyone hates centurions/wraithknights/etc' when it was just a bunch of sad lonely losers.

So the way GW probably saw it was 'We post stuff about peoples models, comments are overrun with poo poo about prices. We post new stuff, comments are overrun with price chat. Why bother?'

They shut their main page down and that did massively reduce the amount of poo poo flinging. People are less likely to troll their local store page after all, but it still continued. Anyone that saw a Warhammer world post would see it turned into idiot central too.

I dont think its negatively impacted how many people buy their stuff, and an argument could be made that its helped them by removing the cancerous monkeys so it does actually make sense from their point of view.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

We get it--You really don't like seeing people complain about Games Workshop, and I get that you'd rather see content in say, this thread, but it hardly means that their concerns are illegitimate. And it's far more likely that GW shut down those pages so they wouldn't have to pay a community manager, not because it would cut down on any kind of negative feedback--those people will complain elsewhere, just as loudly. It will probably negatively impact future growth though, since it removes what was essentially a very cheap channel for advertising, which is pretty important when the only channels they appear to currently have are White Dwarf, which you can't subscribe to, their website, which is awful, and internet rumor sites, where they can't control the content or message.

If you genuinely think that the people who were commenting on an article about someone's armies on parade entry with such gems as 'It'd be nice if I could ever afford to have that collection.' and 'Finecash lololol' are worthwhile then you are being intentionally obtuse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

Yeah, they don't compare to new stuff. The Dark Eldar that came out a few years ago are leaps and bounds better, and their sculpts aren't old enough to drive. It's might seem surprising that most of the old Eldar plastics still hold up, but, well, Jes Goodwin.

And don't forget these were contemporaries of those plastic Eldar:

I see no problem with those Catachans.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Again, like I just said, in the post that you quoted an exerpt from, having an article does not mean enabling comments or allowing feedback (see also: Wizards daily content). Who's being obtuse here?

Also negative comments do not destroy the content--millions of people enjoy content on YouTube and it has what may be the most toxic comment culture on the internet. Movie studios and Game companies regularly post content on YouTube with comments enabled and do not worry about the comments, because most people will look at the content and ignore the comments, or will be primarily influenced by the content. Though again, you can--*gasp!*--turn off comments on videos if you prefer.

GW post youtube videos with commenting disabled. This led to people going on their facebook and bitching about not being able to comment on a youtube video, often in some totally unrelated post just because that was at the top of their page. I distinctly remember a facebook post just linking to their daily blog, which featured some guys Grey Knight army, not a staff member, just someone who sent in some pictures, having 400+ comments after a poo poo flinging match started over the price of the Stormravens he had.

My point against you was that you seemed to think every comment is worthwhile. My point was that it got to the stage on the GW facebook page where you had a group of people whos entire intention was not to actually discuss anything, but try to derail any post into price/finecast chat. That was probably a major reason why it was nixed. Their pages served no purpose anymore.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

No, I don't think every comment is worthwhile, just like I said in my post that you didn't read. My exact words around comments and feedback were "the bulk of which will be worthless outside of a market research context."

But OH poo poo--someone might post a negative comment to an article/post/video! Quick, someone tell Microsoft/EA/Sony/Nintendo/Wizards of the Coast to take down their social pages before having them does more harm than good! That big thread about the Xbox One's resolution issues will kills sales! Those comments about Nintendo being a console for babies will destroy their brand! That super-toxic discussion about Mythic rarities turning Magic into Yu-Gi-Oh will turn away anyone who would play the game! Why do these large successful brands even bother?! How will I ever enjoy content or previews from these companies now?

You're utterly failing to grasp the point I'm making. GW felt that their facebook pages were pointless, due in large part to the fact they were constantly hijacked by dick wads. They then removed these pages as they didnt feel it was worth the hassle of managing them.

Clearly bigger companies have the budget to do this. But please, continue to add hyperbole because someone on the internet doesn't agree with you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Post 9-11 User posted:

GW says that plastic molds cost a million billion Buckazoids but they make stuff like Space Hulk a limited run, release one-time-only plastic minis for their conventions, and so on. It's pure trash.

They make production run models out of steel moulds as they last longer, but are much more expensive to tool as steel is a very hard metal to cut.

The limited edition stuff is done in aluminium. Breaks down a lot quicker but is easier to tool so it costs lest to set up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'd go with a khaki/cream colour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Updated Grey Hunters pack or are those the new starter models? Either way MY WALLET.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've just put a thread up on SA mart to clear my shameful level of new stuff I'm never going to get rid of which was highlighted when I moved and I had to try and explain that it wasnt a colossal waste of money.

Theres bits and pieces for pretty much a lot of armies here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648492

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
SRM you still remain and will probably always be, my favourite miniature painter on this forum.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I guess this may be a question better suited for the painting thread but, well, here goes! About how long did it take you guys to learn how to paint your plastic mans half respectably? I've painted the walls of my house before but nothing so small and detailed as one of these guys!

I've been painting seriously for about a decade.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is the only army I've ever finished. It contains 26 models. 3 of which are tanks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

Them's some good lookin Grey Knights, but god drat that mud is awesome. The weathering on the troops is good but the mud stuck to those tank treads looks so right, like the Grey Knights were called to fight on a daemon world made entirely of chocolate cake.

Cheers. That was my first attempt at any kind of weathering.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I have some 2nd edition Orks and Gretchin knocking around somewhere.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'd like to thank you goons for taking my stuff so I stop getting shouted at for taking up too much space in the house.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I don't play Fantasy and have too many unpainted kits in backlog as it is, but I feel your pain. "Too much? I tried to sell some of it, but the market fell out! No, they're actually quite valuable, I can't just give them away! No, it's not like the baseball card fallout!"

To be fair, some of that stuff I've had for so long its almost doubled in price.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
£80 for poo poo you wouldnt use in any of those armies.

Rubbish.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It would make sense to use the full kits as a hastily thrown together slapdash new starter set. No time or money to waste on new sprues.

It will be awful for what its meant to do though. You know, start someone in this awful hobby of ours. That amount of customisation and level of building needed will turn away more than it will entice.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Its been openly discussed for months in these threads. Who cares?

Hey, so the Battlescribe rules for the ABG don't allow a Baneblade in the LOW slot. Is this an oversight?

I care since several of my friends work for GW and Forge world.

Not to mention everytime it gets brought up Winson tells you all to shut up about it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

The internet loves inventing issues with GW where there's none there, which is daft as GW do plenty of legitimately lovely things to get angry about.

They also play test their rules pretty extensively, which makes me chuckle because they're still always so full of holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Play testing your own rules is the problem, because you're only ever going to see and play them how you wrote them in your head, it takes testers external to the writers to find and report on the flaws

Its not the writers that test them. More or less everyone big into gaming at their hq will play a new version.

• Locked thread