Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Going to have a couple of tester 7E games later today, so we'll see how this all works. Tempted to make up a Thousand Sons list but I'll probably use my new Nids.

How is the random allocation supposed to work when flaming open-topped vehicles and through firing ports? ...and what about firing into vehicle firing ports? that may be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ooh! top of page (sorta), so here's some pictures of a tank I finished this week and posted in the last thread:

7E chat:
What Daemons models should I be looking for on eBay for the Daemon psyker stuff? a Bloodthirster, 10 Bloodletters and what else?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hollismason posted:

Bloodthirsters , Plaguebearers, Bloodletters, Fleshhounds? the khorne doggies, Bloodcrushers. Tzeentch Heralds as they can summon more Daemons.

Bloodcrushers next to the Greater Daemons are the best thing you can summon. Lord of change is good because he can summon more Daemons. I'd suggest if imperial guard summoning Tzeentch first or if you get possession Bloodthirster.

Just because summoning a Flying monstrous creature that can fly over and summon more Daemons is Hilarious, plus you don't lose Warp Charge.

Thanks, I also found the picture of the WD page: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t31.0-8/p843x403/10333547_10152489684194954_3873038486156362195_o.jpg

It's...quite a shopping list!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Tried our first 6.5/7th edition game...overall I liked it. I used an unbound Nids force with a couple of CSM models I had handy:

Flyrant with 2x T-L Devourer with brainleeches
Walking Hive Tyrant with the same weapons
2 Tervigons with Termigaunts
Tyrannofex
2x Venomthropes
3x Biovores
Mawloc

plus Heldrake with Baleflamer and Forgefiend with 3 Ectoplasma cannons

I just grabbed a bunch of models I had handy and didn't really try to optimize anything.

Our DA player wanted to use his Shadowsword I just did for him (I posted it earlier), so he made that his Warlord and his Lord of War and used a bunch of Deathwing:

Belial + 5 Deathwing
Librarian + 8 or so Deathwing
5 Deathwing
Shadowsword (Warlord)

Tyranid deployment (Mawloc and Heldrake in reserve)

Dark Angel deployment (Belial and his guard in reserve)

Objective cards were interesting - you'll want a set per player if you get them

We only did a couple of turns because of time constraints, but overall I enjoyed the game! It was interesting to do an Unbound 1849 pt list against a Battle Forged list. Unbound was cool, and it seems to work OK against a normal FOC list.

Best part was the randomness of the Objectives – you can’t discard the ones you can never achieve, but you get new ones when you’ve accomplished any of the objective cards you’ve got. So your objectives can change from turn to turn.

Psyker phase was interesting – Tyranids are going to dominate with plenty of dice to counter attacks and blessings, or for their own attacks, but they’re psyker-heavy after all. I think it goes quickly enough but our DA player will have to get used to it.

It'd be nice if more was changed for the edition (assaults, etc., ad nauseum) but what they've changed and what I've seen in-game looks alright so far.

e: we treated the cover areas as 5+ cover, my ruined building as 4+ cover, the cathedral windows as difficult terrain and 4+ cover...basically the same as how we used them in 6th.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fix posted:

Why would you want a set of cards per player? I thought you weren't allowed to have duplicate objectives.

No, you're right, just one set of cards is used per game, sorry about that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just watched that Frontline Gaming video - OMG

No wonder used Daemon models are hard to find on eBay (UK) right now

Lord Twisted posted:

Unless I'm a retard, you can actually discard one tactical objective per turn usually and draw another within the limits for whatever game you're currently playing.

I can't find this, where is the free discard is mentioned? The guys in that video did it, so it must be a thing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Boon posted:

I didn't realize that Badger from Breaking Bad played Warhammer.

THAT'S who I was thinking of - thanks!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The next Codex I *was* going to get was Eldar...but now I'm thinking of getting Daemons :P

tbf, I got the psyker cards for all the latest releases before they sold out (just in case) and have been wanting to try allying Daemons with my CSM anyway...this just kinda speeds things up I guess!

e: top of new page, have some related artwork:

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 25, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Reading through the rule book. It is laid out really well, and the pictures of the models add a lot to the various rules that you're reading about (a page of Grey Knights in battle opposite the opening page of the psyker rules, etc.). A page for every unit type and psyker power, it's just nicely laid out. Bookmarking the pages will be pretty easy. It would have been nice if the new or changed rules were underlined or something.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ijyt posted:

"Haha, I bet you're too much of a pussy to sell this to me below 70% off RRP. Only Hitler would sell it for 50% off."

e: what a terrible way to start a new page, I'm so sorry.

Apologize for nothing. Correct grammar should be taught from the beginning, for example at the start of a new page.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If anyone has seen the new Godzilla movie yet...reeeally makes me want to get that big 'Nid model from Forgeworld.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Infinite Karma posted:

Combat Doctrines
Through discipline and training, your army's leaders have tamed the chaos of battle.

Steady Leadership - 25 pts: Instead of rolling, your Warlord can choose which Warlord Trait he wants from any table he could ordinarily roll on. If your Warlord has a pre-determined Warlord Trait, he can pick a new one instead.

Psychic Mastery - 25/50 pts: One Psyker in your army can become your Master Psyker. Instead of rolling, your Master Psyker can choose his powers from the Psychic Discplines available to him. For 25 points, he can choose his first power instead of rolling randomly (the remainder of his powers are randomly generated as normal). For 50 points, he can choose all of his powers instead of rolling. If your Master Psyker generates powers during play, or with nonstandard rules, this ability allows him to choose which powers he knows within a Discipline, but not which Disciplines he can access at any particular time.

Counter-Intelligence - 25 pts: After armies are deployed and objectives are determined (including starting tactical objectives), and before the first game turn, your Warlord can choose to swap the locations of two numbered Objective Markers. If multiple Warlords have this ability, resolve them in the same order as player turns (i.e. the player going first swaps objectives, then the player going second swaps them). A pair of objectives that were swapped can't be swapped back, but one of the pair can be exchanged for another unaltered objective.

Coordinated Assault - 25/50 pts: One of your units (or formations that deploy together) in Reserves can Coordinate their deployment. For 25 points, you can choose which turn they arrive on (including turn 1), without the need for a Reserve roll. For 50 points, you they can also arrive in the location you choose - if they Outflank, they do so from the table edge of your choice (even the opponent's own table edge); if they Deep Strike, they do so without scattering.
these seem cool, are these from a site or did you come up with these?

TheChirurgeon posted:

agree here--we ended up having to go back and try to remember who got first blood halfway through each game because we were only keeping track of the cards!

I'm thinking someone will make First Blood, Linebreaker and Slay The Warlord cards for people to print off and use...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I love that drop pods are perfect for their fluff role now.

This new development/discovery reminds me of the table at Warhammer World that is just a field of wrecked Drop Pods:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
After now starting my 5th army (Daemons) I told our group's Ork player that I'm definitely not starting Orks. I do hope the new codex retains its FUN aspect, though. After Marbo disappeared and hearing everyone's stories of using him, I just wonder. It is interesting to see the roll-out of new Ork stuff though, I wonder if the coming weeks/months will continue to see things like advance orders come out ahead of the WD issues so leaks are mitigated.

So, tactics question: what do people think is the viability of Dark Eldar Raider/Venom use? Since they can rush around turbo-boosting and even Deep Strike with the Baron, are they something to consider? I know they're paper-thin but with enough of them they could overwhelm objectives, potentially.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PeterWeller posted:

They are marginally less flimsy in 7E because of the new damage table and flicker fields let them sidestep the jink nerf. Hiding and then scoring with them is now an option. Otherwise, they're the same as they have always been. Unless you take the baron (the duke is the deepstrike guy) and spam hellions, they are your only route to mobile troops, and boats full of warriors and trueborn are still your basic sources of massed firepower.

Thanks for that - something to think about when I want to change things up! ...or when playing Unbound!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hollismason posted:

If you are a Chaos Player you should be jumping for joy seriously with the new edition.
tell me why...

quote:

So I am working on a really long faq and guide to Daemon Factory and Chaos Space Marines.
oh hell yes please give us the link/whatever when you're done.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Game$ Work$hop Sucks - check
Eldar Rape Diorama - check
Black-skinned Salamanders - check
Fascist Symbol Discussion - check

What else are we missing in this thread?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just did our second game of 7th edition. We deliberately used non-spam, fluffy lists, with equal Psyker points/warp charge dice. I used Typhus and a standard Sorcerer for 3...and at the other player's insistence I used the Malefic powers and successfully summoned 10 Bloodletters and then a Herald of Khorne on the same turn. Unfortunately the Bloodletters then got smashed by a Vindicator before they could even look at anything sideways!

We're getting used to the Psyker phase now, it'll be a while before we go through all the Warlord Traits and various Psyker effects to see what's great and what sucks and what's just okay. Still had a few laughs even though I got destroyed, 10 VP to 1. The objective cards weren't coming out well for me, and we randomly chose the Maelstrom game that has you draw as many cards as you have objective points.

One thing we do have to get used to is Force weapons and powering them up just in case, because an enemy that's 20" or so away can still get into charge range, if they're in an assault vehicle!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

panascope posted:

How did you like Typhus? I think he's cool as hell but being relegated to the Nurgle tree is/was miserable.

Fluffy-wise I like him, I'm not a 'competitive' or club player at all, I just like him because he looks cool and his weapon is called Manreaper! But...he's got no shooting, so if he's assaulted he can't overwatch, and marching him with plague zombies means he's super slow but he has lots of ablative wounds. I prefer to deep strike him with what I call his bodyguards, which are Mark of Nurgle Terminators. So far I haven't really had any effective use of his psyker powers, but I'm not really tactically-minded. 7th is much more tactical than 6th, I think, and most of the players in my little group will suffer for that. The only one who min-maxes stuff is the guy I played tonight, and he always creams us with his Dark Angels. We'll be playing again tomorrow, but he'll be using a Knight or two (I'm building and painting his 3 Knights) - I'll probably insist on having a Chaos Knight just to make things interesting!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tuxedo Jack posted:

For those who were following my FLGS Campaign drama a few days ago, I just wanted to check in. We played our first campaign game tonight - and I'm so satisfied... The game was awful - I maintain that the cards are still broken - but I was on the winning side of it.

After convincing the group not to house-rule the scoring drop pods "until we know if they're broken" - I was able to score two objectives with the pod and the unit that came out of it on turn one. (I only had two pods total, the second didn't even come in on turn two). By the end of turn two, we were up 8 to 1. It was satisfying to show that the cards can be a little one-sided with a bad draw. I also had the warlord trait that lets you discard from your first hand if you want, which netted me three cashable cards on turn one and two.

Needless to say, it probably wasn't fun for the other guy, but it did allow me to illustrate my point, that the tabletop didn't matter, because I drew the right cards. We would've had a nice close game if the objective cards hadn't broken it from the onset.

Anyway, I think I have some of the group rethinking the Maelstrom cards now, which is good... And I won the first game of our campaign! (So that's good!)

I was on the opposite side of the discard warlord trait last night (photo batrep here if anyone is interested), and with the mission that has you draw as many cards as you have objective points as well (so my opponent had 3 cards, I only had 1 in hand). I think the objective cards make it more interesting, as well as more random. The psyker phase makes things a little more tactical, with the gambling on more dice to get a success but risking a Perils the more dice you use. It was only our second game of 7th but it was interesting and even though I lost 10-1 I still had some fun. And hey, I got to use a completely new unit! (Bloodletters)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gotta say, those look pretty cool.

Having just built a Carnifex and Tervigon kit, and now 3 Knights, they have really advanced the ease of building the kits and swapability of the model parts in the recent releases. I could pick nits and say the numbered parts should be a bit closer on the sprues but the customization possible with these Flash Gitz looks really really good.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PierreTheMime posted:

Knights are good, look awesome, and are far more fair than a lot of the internet gives them credit. They're easy enough to grind down, especially with decent anti-tank. Hell, even my lovely Tyranid guns knocked one down by half HP in a turn. A semi-major change to damage from 6th to 7th means that the Super Heavy only suffers a d3HP on an Explodes! result, which requires a 7 now instead of a 6, so if you don't have AP1-2 weapons you're only ever going to glance it.

Just curious what your favorite Nids A-T is? Units, weapons, tactics? I'm still learning how to use my bugs so anything will help.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Than for the tips guys, great info! I'm definitely getting a couple of Exocrines at some point, for now proxying them with Chaos Forgefiends :)

Beerdeer posted:

I vaguely remember chaos marines on horseback from the Rogue Trader days. Does anyone else remember them or am I nuts?

Juggernauts?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can I respectfully request that the OP have links to KR Multicase? The thread gets 'what case/storage system should I get?' every couple of weeks, when the time could be better spent discussing how bad Games Workshop is at customer relations and social media.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Played another 7th edition game tonight...had some fun with our Space Wolf player playing actual beerhammer. Our DA player was on hand with his Realm of Battle Boards.

These were the lists (1500 pts):
Space Wolves:
Rune Priest (Warlord)
Lone Wolf
2 x 10 Grey Hunters in Rhinos
2 x Vindicators
3 x wolf-rider dudes
Long Fangs with a Rune Priest

Tyranids:
Flying Hive Tyrant with 2 x T-L Devourers with Brainleech Worms
2 x Tervigons with 30 Termagants each
3 x Venomthropes
3 x Carnifexes with 2 x T-L Devourers with Brainleech Worms
3 x Biovores
Exocrine

Full battle report is here: http://hammertime40k.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/7th-edition-space-wolves-v-tyranids/ but a couple of pictures are below.

I had a few proxies until I can afford a couple of Exocrines, a Crone or two and a couple more Carnifexes:

If you're keeping score at home, that's a Chaos Forgefiend as an Exocrine, the Zoanthrope is a Venomthrope, the Nurgle Terminators are the other 2 Venomthropes, the Helbrutes are Carnifexes and the armless Hive Tyrant is the 3rd Carnifex)

The Exocrine wasn't able to get much joy, his weapon is pretty short-ranged, but I guess it's the same as a Vindicator. Biovores really proved their worth AGAIN, especially once we started using the unit barrage rule properly. The FHT didn't get much action but his Psychic Scream attack killed the enemy warlord and SIX Grey Hunters...after he'd been grounded and assaulted! 1 Carnifex nearly wrecked one Rhino and the next turn wrecked another, forcing the Grey Hunters inside to exit, making them easy targets for the Biovores.

The Mission Objective cards swung my way a bit but I think I'm also getting the hang of Nids, and our SW player (and the DA player observing) noted that swarm lists may be a bit tough...

Also, swarm attacks are fun:

I think the other guys will have fun trying to figure out what list I'm taking on any particular night, and how to handle 150+ models on the board. I am planning to get at least another 50 or so Termagants because I have another Tervigon that wasn't being used, and I rolled more than 30 extra during the 3 rounds we played.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Had a 3-person mini-tournament at Warhammer World today, came in second but got to see Mechanicum (the winning army) in person for the first time.

There's a new City Fight table there, too:

Yep, the doors swing open and shut

Don't know if the top comes off but it looks like it might

Also picked up the Daemons codex to use with my CSM summoning stuff, munitorum dice to use as objective markers/hull points on a whim and a couple more technical paints to try out. There was a Throne of Skulls tournament going on, some really nicely painted models and armies. Also, Bugman's got rid of the Belly Buster!! BOOO!!! Had to have the Fat Bloke with curly fries and a bucket of onion rings to make my own Bellybuster combo.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Genghis Cohen posted:

I have played apocalypse on that table, and honestly we found it quite hard to manage. In retrospect I should have booked one of the flatter ones. That density of buildings is actually really hard to play on in a game as crowded with models as warhammer.

I can't imagine playing Apoc on that, it's way too tight and to me is made purely for normal-size city fight battles. I'm hoping to do a 4- or 6-player Apocalypse game on the huge snowy table that has the big defensive wall and the earthmovers digging out the Xenos artifacts at one end:

breach #1

the road leading to the gates

the back side of breach #2

the Xenos artefacts

the back side of breach #1

The table in action (not our game, the table was in use the last time we visited)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
tbh I think the 'premiere' tables at WHW are definitely worth the trip - one of the guys I played with was from my local group, the other was his friend from 5 hours away who'd placed an order with Forgeworld to pick up at the store there. He places an order a couple of times a year and has a game day while he's there.

I should post some of the other major game tables they have, these are 8' across on the short edge, I think:

and on the trash cans/rubbish bins:

Here's the rest of the Warhammer World pictures I've got: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5936205578977392769

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I cruise ebay from time to time looking for old model tanks people sell off in lots of a few or more. They'd make great terrain features (scatter, wrecked vehicles, whatever) but I haven't been able to get any yet at a dirt-cheap price.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cataphract posted:

I'm going to be touring with my band in the UK in August and September and have a week off at the end of August so I was planning on bringing an army and making the trip to warhammer world.

Are there any UK (or anywhere really) goons keen to meet up for a game?

What's the band website? If it fits the fluff of 40K then you're on! (potentially. I think I'm free.)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cataphract posted:

youtube.com/axisofawesome
axisofawesome.com

Aaron Dembski Bowden is a fan if that counts for anything.

we're in Edinburgh for the first three weeks of August and then a week off (when I'm planning to go to warhammer world and then probably hang out with some pals in London) and then a week in Germany and then an extensive tour around the UK (dates are on the website).

So yeah, if folks are keen to come to warhammer world around the 26th-29th of September, I'm keen. Otherwise if you're near any of the stops on my tour and want to come to the show and grab a beer after I can definitely throw you comps. I'm not sure about games during the tour as we will be in a different city each night so it might be a bit of a stretch but hey... i won't totally rule it out.

...uh...what? Dude I'll get a pair of tickets for one of your shows AND play you! I can probably get you a loaner army too if you don't want to pack yours for the trip.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
When I saw 'telemovie' I thought 'telenovella', basically one of the Latin American soap operas, and I was thinking what the hell are you doing in one of those? But yeah that sucks. If a whale can be named Mr. Splashypants by internet votes, you should be able to get your Logie.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hey, guys, I've got a couple of requests for you all on behalf of the Oath Thread:

Airbrushes.com will be providing a Grand Prize and 4 Quarterly Prizes, so if you're in the UK and want airbrush equipment, weathering powders, compressors, etc. from them, PLEASE PLEASE use the 'SA Oath Thread' marketing code - this tells them who referred them to the site!

And also, if you order from ANY of our prize sponsors (especially KR Multicase, who haven't committed yet for this year), please mention the 'Something Awful Oath Thread Painting Competition' - it helps everyone out by telling the companies that we are pushing sales to them!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think the books are printed in China, right? and the models are manufactured in the UK?

Not that that explains anything, if true, the logic just does not follow in any link of the chain.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is going to make me get back into the hobby isn't it.

Judging by your avatar/text combo?

Yes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fumble posted:

Another band that looked at the map and said gently caress East Anglia. We don't all still point at aeroplanes any more you know.

But you know what a train is, right?

(kidding! I'm lucky with a venue not too far away)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Has there been any movement or player-created rule to make Shadows in the Warp useful? Kind of a bummer that it's basically pointless right now.

Also, any UK goons going to the 40K Open Day? No one from my group is going and I'm away that weekend, but I really want to get a Horus Heresy shirt. I can't fathom why GW don't sell the shirts as a regular item.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow. The MDF stuff that's coming out recently can be really amazing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

LordAba posted:

It is useful? A blanket -3 leadership to psykers is good in general and it punishes heavy warp users (daemons, eldar) by making miscasts worse.

Yeah but it only affects miscasts in the SitW bubble, right? So it doesn't do as much as in 6th edition?

e:

Moola posted:

Not really interested in Necorumda, campaign games don't do it for me. I'll play that heralds of war Kill Team game with maybe a themed mission made up, but that's as far as I'll go.

I really want something on the 1000pt equivalent scale. But you know, with good rules not like 40k.

Try this? http://onepagerules.wordpress.com/

I have no idea if the rules are 'good' but they're different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

LordAba posted:

Yeah, but the same applied for the last two tyranid editions I believe. You would have to go back to 4th for army-wide shadows in the warp, and that would be easy to duplicate with houserules (discard all 6s rolled in the psyker phase).
If you field flyrants it isn't too hard to keep psykers in the bubble.

OK, yeah, that's true (still learning how to use my Nids, I'm collecting bits for a second FHT)...and I guess generally I'll have more psyker dice than my regular opponents so that's just an extra bonus.

• Locked thread