Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Because no one seems able to grasp the essential simplicity of what we do there has always been the search for the Achilles heel,
the one thing that Kirby and his cronies have overlooked. These are legion.

Someone's a little butthurt.

quote:

We know quite a lot about 3-D printers, having been at the forefront of the technology for many years. We know of what we speak.
One day 3-D printers will be affordable (agreed), they are now, they will be able to produce fantastic detail (the affordable ones
won't) and they will do it faster than one miniature per day (no, they won't, look it up). So we may get to the time when someone
can make a poorly detailed miniature at home and have enough for an army in less than a year. That pre-supposes that 3-D
scanning technology will be affordable and good enough (don't bet the mortgage on that one) and that everyone will be happy to
have nothing but copies of old miniatures.

Because technology never improves.

quote:

The board has prepared a job specification for CEO, and the consequential advertisement. The ad. will be published the day after
our AGM (September 18th). If you apply, we require that you write a letter saying why you want the job. No letter, no interview.
The interviews will take place on November 7th and will be at Nottingham. An announcement will be made the following week.

We here at GW are so confident in our CEO courting capabilities, we'll nail the right one from a pile of "why do you want to work here" letters and get a contract nailed down inside of 7 days from the interview. (Also, we've never done this before.)

quote:

Let me dilate about this letter. Last year I wrote here about our recruitment process, and shortly afterwards we recruited a new
non-executive director (NXD) using the method described. We got a great (not good, great) new board member. She is still
surprised that I did not read her CV
(exasperated would be a more accurate word) but there was no need. Her letter told us what
kind of person she was: sincere, open-minded, a learner, excited at the opportunity. The interview told us she had all the qualities
needed. It mattered not one jot what her CV said.

CVs don't matter, kissing up in your "why I want to work here" letter is the truest mark of a professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Venerable dreadnaught with dreadnaught power axe and storm shield (3++) is frightening.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Oath thread, just finished up my Crimson Fists 3rd Company Tactical Squad (Sentinels of Terra Analogue). I've got Sgt. Garadon's analogue with his Power Fist and Spartean bolt pistol (featuring an extended magazine, scope and purity seal modification).

It'll go well with my Power Axe and Plasma Pistol librarian that I put one of the Grey Knight ossuary bits on for a counts-as Bones of Osrak.

For this upcoming month I'm debating doing Captain Lysander + 5 Assault Terminators or a Drop Pod and some Sternguard, or a (mantic counts-as) ThunderFire Cannon + Techmarine.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
watch it be a CCB on steroids and everyone will learn to fear the puppy-puller-of-murder

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pacheeco posted:

Except it says on p.167 "If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until the start of their next Movement phase, but they can only fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn". The Exalted Flamer doesn't have the Jink special rule, the Chariot (being that it is a Skimmer) has the Jink rule; in the same way that Necron Warriors don't have the Jink rule, it's the Ghost Ark that carries the rule. So as far as I can read it only the Chariot vehicle has to follow those restrictions.

I'm not trying to play "who knows the shittily written rules the best" or anything. It's more pure curiosity given that the Burning Chariot might actually be an okay pick for "Funhammer" lists now.

p.86: "A chariot is an unusual unit with a dual profile - a non-vehicle profile for the rider of the Charios, and a vehicle profile for the Chariot itself. However, a Chariot is always treated as a single model. For the purposes of characteristics tests, always use the rider's profile. Furthermore, any characteristics modifiers that affect a chariot model apply to both rider and Chariot."

So snap shots would apply to both the vehicle and rider similarly.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't remember if it was posted here or I read it on my FLGS' facebook feed, but the rumored list was going to be something like Space Wolves, WHFB something or other, Hobbit/LoTR, Chaos supplements & dataslates, Dark Elder, Blood Angels (possibly in a campaign-style pairing) appearing in or around February 2015.

At least, that's what everyone at the FLGS has been talking about as the general timeline (we have several blüd angels players who aren't at all happy about yiff marines getting love before they do).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

Having played against Thunderfire Cannons for the first time just now, let me say: gently caress Thunderfire Cannons. Against my sweet AV13 wall of Necron vehicles he just poo poo out a few of the dangerous terrain shots and immobilized 2 of my vehicles on the first turn. Catacomb Command Barges are sick as gently caress now. Being able to direct the easy or unlikely poo poo (S6-7 weaponry) against the CCB is rad and having a Phase Shifter on the Overlord to tank the dangerous poo poo (melta weapons) is really awesome.

Similarly, 3 AV13 transports with 3 AV 13 heavyweapon platforms and 1 AV13 redirectible tanking chariot plus one reserved flying transport in 1500 points is a little redonk.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

Exactly my point, he was saying terminators aren't worth it, which was the primary reason to bring the armor. If I ditch the terminators is there anything else that would be a suitable replacement, and can arrive in the thick of it? If not I can see why he suggested to just grab flyers and call it a day. Again my concern is if I'm dropping two groups of stern guards + Calgar to do some tank busting am I boning myself by not having terminators on standby to finish any armor they can't handle? Not to mention if I'm dropping those stern guard close to his guys to get the melta bonus I can assume I'm just asking to be assaulted. If Calgar isn't going in a drop pod with the stern guard to teleport in more reinforcements, is he worth putting in there to begin with?

The short answer is going to be "probably not". Calgar really needs an honor guard to work well. Throwing him in an already expensive unit that just becomes soak wounds for him means you're out 400 points by turn 2 and you've likely not done enough damage with them to make it worthwhile.

Limit yourself to 1 unit of sternguard, get a unit of bikes, which can take 2 meltaguns, possibly with an attack bike as well. Don't deep strike the thunderfire cannon. Start with both on the board. Use the techmarines to bolster ruins you're going to use for shooting cover or holding objectives.

You need something with a bit of punch to deal with high AV units, las predator or dread in a pod. Also get some anti air, preferably a stormtalon and something like an aegis. If you need to shed a few points drop one of the tac squads down to a scout squad with cloaks and bolters or shotguns, have them sit in a ruins holding an objective or use them to tie up a fast moving opponent so your bikes/sternguard can do work on high value targets.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Storm Talon is pretty awesome, I'd get one of those.

What's Marneus do again anyway?

Chapter master with two power fists that have a shooting profile as well. He's gimmicky and expensive.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Does an army built from this Detachment option count as Battle-forged? If you are Space Wolves, why wouldn't you always take this?

Armies are battle forged if they are made up entirely of legal detachments and formations. Being battle forged does not confer objective secured, however. That is a bonus from using a Combined Arms detachment and Allied Detachment as per the BRB (I don't have it in front of me to reference the page, soz m8). There is an additional detachment option shown on the page preceeding the Combined Arms Detachment FOC that does not get the Objective Secured Command Benefit, as an example.

That Detachment trades Objective Secured (and still gets rerollable warlord traits, just under a different name) for +4 HQ choices and Outflank on a 6+ with one unit per turn able to arrive from reserves without having to roll.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Karl Rove posted:

Annoyingly, a pair of them will cost me more than I paid for either dreadnought, even though I agree they look sweet as hell. I'm also tempted to kitbash an AWACS-style radar dome on top of each dreadnought to complete the Rifleman look.

Some Aegis Sentry Autocannon turrets could work. I've also seen people kitbash Cadian autocannons that you can get for $1-2 each on Ebay. There used to be a steady supply on Ebay from our far eastern plastic injection molding friends that I totally didn't buy for my own dreadnaught that ran $6 per arm. I didn't see any up today, but back when I was looking into it there were at least 4 sets up. Something to watch for, perhaps.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

radlum posted:

I've only used IG lists and now I'm interested in an army with a lower model count (paiting all those Guardsmen took some time). What would be the best option (as Ogre Kingdoms are for WHFB)?

Deathwing, Grey Knights, Imp Knights, Unbound Chaos (Be'lakor + Lord of Skulls is 1250 pts in 2 models), Tau-Dar. Basically most non-horde armies have some sort of elite detachment you can build out of.

A better questions would be: what do you feel like playing, and can you make a low model count army for that?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

radlum posted:

Imp Knights look nice but I rather use a more "traditional" army. Deathwing and Grey Knights interest me more, though all the comments on DA being awful and the incoming GK codex made me wonder if there were other choices. I guess I can wait for the new GK codex

GK codex, if they keep Psy-ammo is probably a better choice. Better HQ options, potentially cheaper per-unit costs on terminators (rumor is 33 vs. 40 for DA). DA would likely be cheaper to buy into and you'd get good looking sculpts, though somewhat limited in armament options since there's a glut of the Dark Vengeance terminators that are mono-pose/mono-loadout.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The Thunderfire cannon makes the Whirlwind absolutely obsolete.

*Exception: Dark Angels, Blood Angels.

Did Space Wolves get access to TFC in their new codex? I haven't read through it yet.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can't use those models man, they're too big and over the top for 40k
:goonsay:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Channeling my inner moolah here.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

In all fairness I may have credited some comments made by others to you in my mind! As I am getting older it is all becoming a big blur.

On that note - I wanted to publicly thank SRM for joining me for an interview last night for the next episode of The ICs!

Looking forward to listening to this interview. Bonus points to you if you can resist fellating him over how awesome his army looks long enough to ask coherent questions. Double bonus if you didn't.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have two pictures from an Ultramarine vs. Dark Angel battle that played out at my FLGS on Wednesday. Both armies were almost completely painted and it was a fantastic match that ended in a tie.

I didn't get any pictures of the battle, itself, because the DA player ran a terminator command squad with dakka banner and a techmarine with power field gen in the land raider, then kept the two rhinos and razorback tucked in behind the 'raider while the ultramarine player sat on objectives and shot at a massive unkillable 4++ blob of vehicles and salvo 2/4 marines from 24". Not impressive gameplay-wise, but fantastic in that anytime someone got close to The Relic, the field resembled Khmer Rouge killing fields.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

There's a guy around here that tries to sell his stuff at close to retail price, at best 20% off. The thing is, is that a lot of his stuff is in poo poo condition--put together horribly, painted barely adequately if painted at all, and whatever he uses to strip paint off models make them look like hot garbage. No one ever picks him up on his offers.

You'd think that being the president/former president of the local gaming club would mean he has a better understanding of how to sell his poo poo but noooo, he's a goddamn neckbeard who thinks his mans are worth anything close to what he spent on them.

That's generally what I find on the ebay side. Portland may be an outlier in some respects, but I've found some amazing deals on craigslist. The last one I picked up was about $450 retail worth of Dark Eldar stuff for $75. The other upside to craigslist is that you can generally bargain with people. I've bought people's collections based on the price of the three or four things I was looking for and "well, I really don't need those tactical marines, or the bolter scouts. I just wanted the land raider, drop pod and terminators but I'll round up $10 to make it an even hundred for the whole lot." Thus far it's worked 100% of the time.

koreban fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 15, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

An Angry Bug posted:

Have I screwed myself over by assembling this drop pod before priming it?

Not really. You won't be able to get as much detail inside the drop pod if it's fully assembled, but honestly, black/grey primer and some quick highlights on the restraining straps and storm bolter are pretty much sufficient.

quote:

What's a good weapon setup for a SM tactical squad captain, preferably including a chainsword?

Chainsword and combi weapon or storm bolter. Though captains usually move up to power weapons (swords/fists), and you'll have an easier time finding an existing captain model with those. Sergeants generally have the bolt pistol/chainsword kit.

quote:

Do purity seals have any gameplay effect?

No, though they can improve the look of an army, particularly when done well with armies that can use a splash of color (grey knights, deathwing, black templars)

quote:

What's the effective difference between the three types of Dreadnaughts?

Bog standard dreadnaughts are lumbering slow vehicles that can provide a decent tactical punch depending on weapon loadout. Multimelta/Power claw with flamer/storm bolter underslung weapons are nice for drop pods.

Venerable dreadnaughts gain the ability to force an opponent to reroll one penetrating hit result per (phase?/turn? - I'd have to double check). Can be nice to take a weapon destroyed or something down to a shaken)

Ironclad dreadnaughts get extra armour value on front armour (13) and can take seismic hammers which basically obliterate armour value on buildings. They can take assault grenade launchers, though I can't recall if there's an actual benefit to those. (I think all dreadnaught weapons would go at I1, but I'd, again, have to refer to the SM codex again.)

quote:

Thanks.

Hope this helps.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hra Mormo posted:

So thanks whoever talked to me about bikes earlier, I have a Dark Angels Battleforce in the mail and decided to go with White Scars chapter tactics. Got the new codex, borrowed the new rulebook and have been familiarizing myself for some upcoming 750pts games against Tau.

So you want to be a bike marine player... If you're playing with Dark Angels, you do have the option of using Ravenwing as your bikers of choice. Sammael is an expensive HQ at 200 pts, but he would confer hit&run and skilled rider to the unit as well as having eternal warrior and an ap2 master-crafted power sword. That said, you get bikers as troops and you can take a mortis pattern dreadnaught for 125 points with two twin-linked autocannons, or las for 155 that gets interceptor/skyfire if it's stood still for a turn (in case he deep strikes or brings a tau flyer). You can also consider landspeeder typhoon squadrons that can lay down delicious frag templates all over your opponent's gunlines, or krak shots to punch S8 AP3 holes in riptides.

If you take troops other than bikers, I'd generally recommend bringing scouts and just having them sit on objectives for you, because a 5 man tac squad will die to a tau shooting line the second they're visible.

If your friend brings a riptide to a 750 point game he's being kind of a dick. It would be not unlike bringing an objective secured landraider from your side.

If you go white scars, definitely go with two bike squads of troops. I'd potentially reconsider an attack bike option, they're generally don't make their points back.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

There are some crazy good rules, for sure

Now excuse me while I use marker lights to ignore all your cover, buff myself up to BS5, and shoot you with 60 S7 shots per turn at ranges up to 36"

:thurman:

On that note, I watched a strongarm Tau player get taken to task by Dark Angels pretty convincingly last night. So while they're definitely powerful and laden with high STR shooting, they're far from unbreakable using a weaker SM dex.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Von Humboldt posted:

What were the lists? I want to run DA (I have a bunch I got on the super-cheap) in an upcoming 2250 event using the BAO rules.

However, I also do not want to lose all the time, so this is a problem.

quote:

2000 pts Dark Angels:

ML2 Librarian
Command squad w/ dakka banner
- Las/plas razorback

Techmarine w/ power field generator
- Land Raider Crusader

10 man tac squad w/ plasma/multimelta
- Rhino

10 man tac squad w/ plasma/multimelta
- Rhino

Mortis pattern venerable dreadnaught w/ 2x TL AC

Mortis pattern venerable dreadnaught w/ 2x TL AC

Land Speeder Typhoon Squadron (4 typhoons)

Imperial Bastion

quote:

2000 pts Tau

Farsight bomb

Riptide w/ nova reactor and whatever high str weapons they run (x2)

Pathfinder squad

Fire Warrior squad

Fire Warrior squad

Kroot squad

Whatever the tau analogue for the wave serpent is (x2)

I'm obviously the best at knowing Tau inside and out and I totally wasn't paying more attention to the Tyranid guy on the next table that was playing an unbound list with Trygons and tervigons and shitloads of genestealers and a broodlord against a nurgle chaos demons at 2500 points per side.

That said, the DA guy ran all the tanks alongside/behind the landraider using the 4++ bubble to manage the shooting. When it came time to deploy he used the rhinos to screen for his marines so they were out of LOS of the tau shooting and used the dakka banner to overload the farsight bomb with dozens of saves rolls. It was a pretty convincing win.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hencoe posted:

Flamer knight is up
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/A/Acheron.pdf
Rerolling 1's on the D chart is conveniant.

Not seeing Torrent on the flamer is somewhat disappointing.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cataphract posted:

torrent on a hellstorm template? that'd be brutal...

Oh poo poo, I didn't see that part. Yeah, with hellstorm, it makes sense. I was picturing a standard template and thinking that they got put off by 6th ed helldrake baleflame cannon memories.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

Man, that's super-nasty. AP3 Hellstorm on something as fast as a Knight is just absolutely brutal, and the fact that it still gets a HB to back it up (for charging whatever target it wants) AND has a bonus attack plus a better-than-standard melee weapon makes it into a real tough customer. The 40pts extra isn't trivial, but in a 1750 Knights list I'd absolutely look at running one.

Is it me or with all the options now are knights sort of turning into an end-all-be-all set of units? I don't see much that can reliably threaten an adamantium lance when you look at all the knight options now. It wasn't so bad when it was the knight paladin and errant with the choice between the melta cannon or blast cannon and the D-strength close combat weapon, but the new models' versatility is getting to where next GT is just going to be mechwarrior with skulls.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Early reports on the DEldar codex look like it's going the Grey Knights route. 3 named HQs, Archon and Succubus, no Vect/Lord of War, power-from-pain changing to turn-based bonuses, webway portal gives vehicles deep strike, splinter cannons going to 4/6 salvo, no flickerfields.

No word of a supplement yet, but if there is one it'll likely be the other half of the codex.

I'm not confident that gaining deep strike is the answer to Dark Eldar's woes, especially when they lose popular units like Duke and pick up that bomber that supposedly costs the same as a land raider for a 10AV all-around flying vehicle.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Doesn't surprise me really. I was expecting to lose the Baron, Duke, and Malys because they have been eliminating SCs without models for a while now. Salvo was made for stuff like the splinter cannon. Flickerfields have been largely redundant since 6E came out. There were other ways already to DS your boats, but if they're gone (and one for sure is if the Duke is gone), then that's an okay way to make WWPs relevant again.

Your "other half of the codex" is a handful of special characters, only two of which people really cared about. And the ones people cared about won't be a big deal if combat drugs and hellions are decent without them. DE don't need any new units. They just need tweaks and a voidraven model.

Really, the only surprise is a lack of a LoW. It seemed liked they were making a point to give every faction one. On the other hand, super heavies are totally against the DE gimmick, and the only other option really is Vect and the Dais, a model no one is really clamoring for.

The 'other half' I was referring to would have been more specifically some of the missing HQs and Vect/Dais in the Lord of War slot. Since a great many lists currently use Duke as HQ, it's perhaps weighted more strongly for that reason.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

The tech priest with a PFG attaching to a command squad carrying the dakka banner seems like it could spit out an impressive number of shots (a hurricane bolter on either sponson and an assault cannon on the front) and be stupidly tough to break open. That's pushing 450-500 points for that unit though, so about 2 squads of Deathwing or so :v:

The guy from my LGS runs a landraider with techmarine and a couple servitors in it with PFG by itself. He puts 2x10 man squads of tac marines in rhinos and his librarian or chaplain with a command squad and dakka banner in a las/plas razorback. Rhinos flank the raider, near the rear quarters and razorback tucks in behind. When he unloads, he usually positions the vehicles to cover flanks and leaves an opening with 25 bolter marines and whatever HQ he's running backed up against a landraider and unloads buckets of dice worth of bolter fire at a time.

Landraider + techmarine + servo harness + PFG + (2) servitor is going to run you like 375 points and take up a heavy support slot.

Techmarine comes as a bonus outside of FOC requirements with your other HQ and servitors come without FOC requirement with a techmarine. 14/14/14 4++ with blessing of the omnissiah repairs on 2+. With 7th ed, you can park that thing on top of an objective all day long and hold it.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Speaking of Deathwing, what's the preferred Belial bomb? 10-man Deathwing squads?

Deathwing Knights for toughness of 5 if you keep them in base contact or a deathwing command squad with apothecary for 5+ FNP. (screw any other options because this poo poo's expensive as gently caress already)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hello fellow hams. I have decided to sell off my Space Marine guff and just be an Ork purist...

Oh hell, I'd probably buy a bunch of that stuff from you. Scouts, gamesday marine, assault shoulder pads, crotch bits, chainsword arms, cloak backs, the chaplain space marine, the techmarine and servo arm back.

Let me know if you're interested in working something out.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I agree that it's a pretty weak rule overall. But I do like that it will add a smidgen of survivability starting on turns 2 and 3. It also encourages a very DE style of game play: kite and play keep away until your army is worked up into a frothing frenzy and then dive in for the kill.

Only that was precisely what the dumb random objectives system was meant to stop.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

As a guy who used to work in the games industry I'm officially sorry we gave the "Day 1 DLC" idea to GW

Also Duke Nukem

Never apologize for greatness. Even if it's greatness in it's terribleness. Own it.

Own. It.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not talking about the old school end-game objective rush. I'm talking about using your mobility and shooting to play keep-away until you have enough buffs to launch your assault units. Maelstrom objectives have little if anything to do with that.

And I really don't think GW went through the trouble of Maelstrom cards just to stop a 4E Eldar gimmick. They actually reward the kind of mobility that gimmick relied on. If GW was trying to stop anything with the cards, it was static gunlines. But more likely, their motivations were unpredictability and (eventually) giving each faction its own custom set.

We'll have to see what the DE faction-specific objectives look like, but with the no-assaults-from-deep-strike rules and without an obvious way (unless I missed it and you're not playing a covens detachment) of manipulating reserves rolls, you're bringing in your transports on dice rolls, hoping they survive a turn, then sacrificing large swaths of your army to terrible armor rolls and maybe FNP, just hoping to hold your opponent off while securing some objectives until turn 4/5 when whatever you have left starts to come into it's own and you're making objective pushes/looking to score secondaries.

It feels like it wants you to be behind until turn 4 or so, then gives you some space-pcp and hope you rampage yourslef into enough points to secure victory, rather than giving some (initially) obvious ways of holding your own and doing less of the high-finesse, gimmick play. I'm still sort of processing it while typing this. Maybe covens are the blunt instrument approach, but it feels like standard codex DE really want to start you on the back foot and then see what you can get come turn 4+.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cataphract posted:

let's not kid ourselves. It's almost definitely KFC.

Except there isn't enough thick grease light prisms in the photo. Those would have to be exceptionally well napkin'd hands to not pass along the requisite light refraction that the Colonel's Extra Tasty Crispy is known for.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought the Dark Eldar book today. The LGS guy also talked me into a DEldar battleforce that had been traded in for store credit. Decently painted models (though not in a style I'll keep or copy) except the Raider that had been taken for a looted orc vehicle :mad: all for $30. Probably worth it for the jetbikes, but the wytches are garbage and I already had some Kabalite Warriors, so now I have something like 25 of them. Halfway to what I'd likely need for a decent 1850 list with options.

I'm telling myself now that I'll refuse to buy into Eldar and I can get by without it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I started constructing my Dark Eldar warriors from the 3rd ed starter last night.

Spiky bits. Spiky bits everywhere.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

That guys got some serious man boobs.

Female models. Surprised me when I started looking over the sprues. They've got boob armor, but it's not horrible and I'm going to like having non-segregated mix-gender units.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

I've been looking at grabbing an ADL to supplement my Devastators. My general thought was to stick a squad of lascannon devs in, have the sarge manage the quad gun, and put an ammo dump close by so that everyone's rerolling 1s to hit. Obviously at 120 points for the whole setup on top of the cost of the squad this is a bit of an investment; what would be the minimum point limit that you would take something like this in? My gut says 1000 is too low to justify it but 1250 seems like maybe I could squeak it by.

Honestly, I'd take that at 1000, only I'd swap the las for heavy bolters. If you're not worried about fliers, change the gun out for a comms relay and you've got a safe spot to put down deep strikes if necessary, or drop it for the points and the savings. The las/quadgun is more than enough to pay for a decent scout squad/LSS, or another tactical squad or a minimum bike squad.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I took one of the non-grog players from my FLGS to panascope's house on Saturday to war some hams. With the 3 of us there, we decided to get in a few games instead of one huge scrum, so we ran 750 point lists against each other. We had the opportunity to play on a realm of battle terrain board (not the new cityscape one). Regrettably we did not take photos, so I'll just do quick batreps.

First game was Chris the non-grog Farsight Tau vs Panascope with his CSM nurgle bikers.

Chris ran a Farsight HQ with 2 shield drones, a railgun broadside, 3 crisis suits with tau-plas and shield gens with 2 shield drones each, a 5 or 6 drone squad of markerlight drones and 12 fire warriors. panascope ran CSM lord w/ 5 bikers, mark of nurgle. 2 squads of 5 CSM marines (2 plasma) w/ mark of nurgle and a chaos sorcerer lv.2. Massed Tau shooting ended that game on turn 2 or 3.

Second game: koreban's Crimson Fists vs. panascope's CSM.

In this game I ran 2 5 man squads of tacticals with no special weapons, one in a rhino, the other in a TL heavy bolter razorback, 5 bolter scouts, 1 5 man dev squad with heavy bolters, 1 thunderfire cannon and 1 captain with power sword on a bike and a 3 man bike squad attached w/ 2 melta (but I'm dumb and only took the 2 bikers with melta, forgetting to put the bike sergeant on the table). We played the tactical objectives where you max hand size was equal to the game turn. Game ended koreban 14 VP, panascope 11 VP. MVP for me was my captain going boss mode and holding up against panascope's terminator lord with power fist and lightning claw, eventually killing him with my AP3 power sword (only to die to psychic shriek). The game ran to 7th turn and was back and forth the entire time.

Third game: Chris' Tau vs. koreban's Crimson Fists.

I gave Tau first deployment/turn, which probably is what won me the game. We played Big Guns Never Tire on Dawn of War deployment. Chris put his fire warriors in a bunker way back in his deployment zone. His crisis suits were on the right edge of the board, broadside and commander on the left and markerlight drones in the middle. I placed my scouts and thunderfire in a ruins on the right side, opposite his crisis team, my dev squad was in a sandbag foxhole about 4 inches back from my forward deployment limit and I put my rhino, razorback and bike squad w/ captain against the left edge of the field. Chris rolled horribly on his broadside and went after my captain with his invuln save instead of my razorback. I thunderfired and heavy boltered out all of the markerlight drones and my scouts took 2 losses, then unloaded close range bolter drill on the crisis suits, who were second guessing their choices in life, especially after they moved close enough to consider charging my scouts only to get direct fired on by my thunderfire cannon and were in a long charge range of my techmarine. In a feat of tactical genius, I managed to force Chris to concede defeat on Turn 4, having killed his broadisde, markerlight drones, all of the shield drones on his crisis team (plus 1 wound on 2 of the crisis suits) and was staring down a unit of fire warriors that were probably gonna get charged.

All 3 games were great fun and panascope seemed to get along with Chris, so we're slowly expanding the goon-approved playgroup up in the Portland/Vancouver area. If anyone else is local and throws dice for space barbies, it's a good time to get in touch. Hixson was doing a 10k, which I can only imagine meant he was eating 10k calories of processed cheese product and fried pork. Who knows what's up with that guy anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monoliths posted:

I'm a Portland Ham! :3: Woodstock neighborhood representin. I don't always have a lot of time, but it'd be great to break out of the single opponent drudgery someday! (He's a great friend and we both have multiple armies, but it does get a bit predictable at times)

If you've got Wednesday nights available, I play at Nexus Games in Gresham. You can take Powell or 84 and it's not horrible. We've got people that come from as far as Aloha and Woodburn most weeks. I'd encourage you to come by some time. On Saturdays, panascope, hixson and I have been playing at panascope's house in Vancouver. If you want to mix it up some time, or if you want to play at someplace like Red Castle, or even if you're up for hosting send some PMs around.

• Locked thread