Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Just wanna go on the record that the Unbound thread will always be remembered as the good thread, with cool and funny things and awesome pictures and tons of dumb poo poo and trash talk which is what 40k is all about. The "real" threads are garbage pages of rule talk and snoozefest nerd math. RIP Unbound thread. :patriot:

That being said, when your terrain is all themed as a jungle covered in scattered temple ruins and potentially leaky warp gates, what do you model your daemons as?

TREES! And maybe eventually some skeletons that get summoned from their tombs under the temples! Because this following scene needs to happen in every 40k game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

Even when I'm not summoning daemons, I'm going to ally them in. Or they're going to randomly deep strike and attack the nearest unit on either side. It's called FORGING THE NARRATIVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Wouldn't normally be spamming up such WIP models, but these Squats were made possible by some goons so I wanted to share.

Thanks BULBASAUR for the arms - in your honor, they'll all have the number 001 painted on real tiny. And thanks Fix for the weapons - I'm gonna remove some of the gems and do a tiny bit of Imperial stuff to them, but they make perfect exotic meltaguns and a flamer. The rest of the squad will have lasguns. These guys are gonna be a Veteran squad to round my Knight Titan up to an even 500pt chunk I can tack on to existing IG lists.

And since I posted my tree daemons, here's the crazy homeless forest man who will be summoning them. Hard to tell here but he's floating, and the branches under him will be painted to be glowing.

Cheers to everyone else who posted sweet minis and crazy fun little 7th edition battle reports. Chirurgeon, I'm gonna be in NYC late July - I'll shoot you a message and see if maybe we can get in some game time with those awesome Chaos dudes. :cheers:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Fix posted:

Ayup, kinda dope.
My brother just texted me a photo of his WIP terrain piece using the plasma globe. I'll share it here when he has more progress.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

ANAmal.net's Dark Angels (stupid idiot assholes)

Tac Squad Moron (10)
Tac Squad Butthole (9)
Tac Squad Jerkoff (6)
Devastator Squad Jerkwad (5)
Scout Squad Douchebag (5)

[...]

The joke was on me though, as ANAmal's sergeant jumped out of the wrecked rhino, fired a plasma pistol shot at my Venerable Dread, and rolled 6 twice on the vehicle damage roll.
Thank you for this. Been cool watching that board come together so far - gonna make my brother's cityfight board look like Wet Garbage when it's done. Absolutely love your Panthers... the retro look never gets old.

Dark Angels look great too, from what I can see.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Get them painted, ANAmal! :cmon:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

I would like 2-4 Catachan heads for my new Scouts. Specifically, I would like at least one head with a bandanna and I would love the person-of-color-smoking-a-cigar head from the old Catachan Sentinel upgrade sprue. I used to have that head on one of my Marines before I sold them like 6 years ago, and I would love to make that dude again now that I'm back in this terrible game.
Hey Sule - I got 6 different Cat heads I can hit you up with. One is the Sentinel head with cigar and sunglasses - see below. Is that the one you're after?

I'll be gone from computers for the next week as I recertify as a Wilderness First Responder (pretending to be a Catachan IRL :madmax:), but if you're still looking for heads by next Friday shoot me a message.

Slimnoid posted:

Pirate ork army. Hook hands, striped pants, bandannas, the works. All the vehicles are just pirate ships with wheels. Bikes are jet skis. The warboss has a hat the size of a Nob. Killa kans? Giant barrels of ale.

This is clearly the best idea I've ever had.
Do it. Google "Ogre Pirate" and use that. Just shorten the legs a bit, give it a big Warboss head with a gob, and you've got your HQ. Comes complete with a grot in parrot costume.

Raphus C posted:

Did some more work on my Mega-Dredd:
Excellent.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Touched up my Harker squad, even though Harker is garbage in the new book. Real sad - this was probably my favorite squad last edition. I'd often drop a shotgun for a Heavy Flamer or some other special weapon. Although, looking at it now, those two guys on the left have the same head. I just got some new Space Wolf heads, so may chop the head off one and swap it for something shaggier.

The new Squat Veterans and psyker are almost done with the converting. All the tree Daemons are primed and ready - they'll be next on my painting table.

Also almost done with these two commission conversions. A Cadian into a Tallarn, and Catachan Harker into a Mordian Harker.

Also, battle shots! My brother took these quite a while ago and only just uploaded them. You can see my Eldar Scout Titan doesn't have the vines painted on it yet, and all the temple terrain is more green and lush now.

My Brother Posting On Warseer, What A Loser hahahaha posted:

About time I posted the photos up from a Planetstrike game we played a while back. This was the first game with the Wraithknight, which you can see was before the vine patterns were painted on.

The Eldar are positioned in their temples, ready to fend off the incoming Catachan troops.

The Wraithknight takes on a Leman Russ head on.

Assault is underway:

Veterans run toward the towering construct:

See more photos in the gallery.

EDIT: We got real drunk so I don't remember the game too well but the hovering Vendetta exploded and a piece of airplane flew out and smushed my Farseer. Pretty cool to have your Warlord scythed down by exploding jet shrapnel, so it was a good game. I forget who won.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 31, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

Those buildings :stare:
I could really go for a bunch of awesome terrain like that at my club.
Thanks! My brother just got a second bridge and I'm gonna build a pillar so we can do even more interesting layouts.

Started slapping paint on my Tree Daemon. Really dumb, since I have a ton of real stuff I should have been doing tonight, but at least I'll sleep well while I'm away knowing that it's at home waiting for me. :allears:

EDIT: Hey Fix!

Some Huge Nerd aka My Brother posted:

A little more progress on the void shield generator: a couple more bits and I'll be ready to start painting!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 1, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Fix posted:

Tonight Yarrick punched a Carnifex into a black hole.
Sweet. I miss running Straken and having him be a hero... should do that more often.

Also, Fix, check it! To everyone else, Fix sold my brother a small plasma globe a few weeks back - he just finished this terrain piece. Looking forward to getting a game in with it - we'll have to make up some rules for it.

My Super Cool Bro posted:

Void Shield is complete!

Here are the pieces painted separately and ready to be glued together:

And the completed piece:

Excited to use it in a game!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Two Feet From Bread posted:

All NIB. It comes out to just over $10k. I'm selling 99% of it for 50% off MSRP as soon as I get the inventory in excel and make the SA Mart thread.

(mad minis)
I see Tomb Guard. I'm in. Gonna play them as summoned Bloodletters and recreate this scene with my Catachan every battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0MNYn1Bzso

Skeletons summoned by psykers, clawing their way from the loamy jungle soil of ancient temples to fight the enemy? Yes please. Got any Terradons so I can build my Catachan some allied jetbikes? Or a Carnosaur/Troglodon to make a Dreadknight?

EDIT: Mysterious objective, ancient burial ground. If you walk into a piece of area terrain and flip the counter and that's the burial ground, a unit of skeletons deep strikes in.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 6, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Hey who were you? I'm still facebook friends with a fair number of SDW/EoW people but I'm not sure who still plays. I took a break for like six years but I back playing a lot of Kill Team and Zone Mortalis stuff. I know a few of us got into Warmachine; that's the first place I went after leaving the hobby completely until ~2011. I'm sure other Dub people are still posting in here but our names changed so many times that I don't remember who's who. I can't even remember my own names (I think I was Problems With Poop! or toot toot im a kroot at the end).
I was let's rub cocks together and snuggle, Thirsty Daddy, A Gross Bug, Kroots Magoo, and probably others. Only posting because I'm fondly remembering the stop-motion Kroot video that was responsible for everyone getting Kroot names. Looked on YouTube and couldn't find it... somehow having all the stop-motion Kroot come pouring onto the screen as NIN music started blasting was the best thing. If any old EoW people could find that video I'd be forever grateful.

My tree-Daemons are almost 100% painted, and my new Squats/psyker are almost done with the converting. Expect photos soon.

EDIT: Wasn't sure if I should go for glowing blue on the tree-Daemons, like my Tyranid psychic/toxic accents, or glowing green like my Catachan equipment, so I did Photoshop mockups. Think I'm gonna go with green. Still need to do a bunch of painting and basing work before they're done, but you can pretty much see what they'll look like. They just need more detail and contrast.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 9, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

Those new big gunz seem like they plug a few holes in the Ork army rather nicely. The models look good n' Orky too.
You're a positive, talented goon. I forget if you have this already, but I have the model below stripped and ready to paint.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mudx_QLhWZqCU3DelUBsjGQ.jpg

Want it?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

Squifferific posted:

Eventually I'll get around to getting a squad of Rough Riders on Dark Elf Cold Ones. Ponies aren't very metal. Giant angry lizard steeds are.
:siren:Paging Buffalo Chicken to the thread, paging Buffalo Chicken to the thread:siren:
:unsmigghh:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Here's a couple of semi-rough test models I've just finished. Trying to decide on a scheme to use for my next army. The Ultramarine was easy to do but looks a bit flat. The Fist pops more but was a bit of a poo poo to paint and I'm not sure how well it will translate to vehicles. I'd also need to add another layer of highlighting to the yellow after the glaze because of how it flattened them down.

These are both fantastic, but thirding the opinion that you make your own Chapter.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Been gone for over a week sea kayaking and then catching up at work, but before I left I finished the tree Daemons and only last night got to play my first game with them. My brother and I scattered them randomly off the board center and had them attack the nearest models when they arrived. Luckily they went and harassed his already-harassed Squat forces while my Genestealer Cult ran around unmolested. Really fun game - brother should have pictures up eventually.

I really strongly dislike almost all the Treemen models I've seen painted because there's too many random colors all over, and it looks clownish. I wanted to stay with greens and browns for mine.

And here's the 'Daemonettes':

These guys took WAAAAAY longer than expected. Apparently painting wood grain and highlighting tons of tiny leaves takes a while. I did start paint on a few more Catachan, a psyker, and another unit of Squats, so hopefully I'll have some of those finished soon.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

that thing looks dumber every time I see it. The hood, the double-talons, the back, the tail, the legs... the whole thing is just a mess
It's the worst. I already started on my converted version - mostly just the hands and sketching out some scything talon ideas - and already I'm really happy with it. I'm hoping it has good rules, and some Lictor-like abilities. I really want to paint it half-camouflaged in a temple like one of my current Lictors.

My brother posted some battle photos on Warseer featuring my new tree Daemons. We played a game which was almost all counts-as models.

lil bro posted:

Some pictures of those trees in action!

Pekel and I played a fun and crazy game a couple weeks ago using the tree daemons. The armies were his Genestealer cult list (1000pts Astra Militarum plus 500pts Inquisitor) versus 1000pts Gray Knights plus 500pts Eldar. The Gray Knights and Eldar are both modeled as Catachan/Squats and played as counts-as (so the Snipers count as Rangers, Catachan with swords and shields count as Crusader henchmen, etc). The Inquisitor army is played using Genestealer models as Death Cult Assassins and Arcoflagellants, the Patriarch and Broodlord as Inquisitors, etc.

In addition to these armies facing off against one another, we also had the tree Daemons deeps striking randomly on the board and moving automatically each turn toward the closest unit to assault it. That's five factions in one 1500 point game!

The game was one of the maelstrom or war missions, and we both found it a very fun, dynamic, and fluid way of playing. Here are some of the battleshots:

The big tree daemon assaults the lifter (Daemon Prince of Nurgle v. Gray Knight Dreadnought)

Tree daemons assault the one remaining Catachan mercenary (Daemonettes v Striking Scorpion)

Patriarch and 'stealers assault Vengeance gang leader and his squad (Inquisitor and Death Cult assassins v. Coteaz and Crusader henchmen)

Catachan Brawlers (Arco Flagellants) and one Knife Fighter (Death Cult Assassin) after taking down almost the entire squad of tree daemons on the charge

Catachan Sharpshooters (Eldar Pathfinders plus Nightspear)

Squat Hearthguard (GK Interceptors) defend their outpost

Genestealer Cult command squad

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
EDIT: Dang, Chirurgeon beat me to posting by a few minutes. Looks like our posts are pretty similar, right down to "bonus Void Shield" photos.

Goon Battle! Chirurgeon came over yesterday with 2000pts of Night Lords to fight against my brother and I, who allied 1000pts of Space Marines with 1000pts of Catachan/Knight. Both of the other guys took photos too, so there may be more later, but here's mine for now.

Bicycle Parade rolls on by the Rhino on their way to bigger and better things.

The Void Shield appears to be deactivated...

Super sweet Raptors. If you look carefully, you can see the Champion has the most awesome 40k-est armor possible (his armor is a giant skull).

Rough Rider sergeant runs the Chaos Champion through with an explosive spear, but the Chaos Marines win combat and murder all of the poor dino-riders.

Void Shield activated!

Absolute Madness

The Helbrute charged, Raptors used their jump packs in the assault phase, and the Chaos Bikers slammed into the Marines from behind. Many Hammer of Wrath attacks were had.

The Terminators jump off the roof and land amidst the Squats, who have been lurking in cover and just finished murdering some Chaos Terminators. Apparently that psychic power which makes everything rending is pretty good.

A twisted, warped visage sprouts from the Knight's shoulder right as it obliterates the Helbrute with its giant chainsword (now named "Thagomizer" - it's a dinosaur joke). :science:

Last surviving Raptors shear off the Knight's leg with a meltagun, strategically toppling it right onto the nearby Space Marines and Rhino. It explodes and murders a bunch of dudes.

The Decimator hulks on over towards the Catachan Chimera, ready to punch a hole in its armor and torch the armored Guardsmen riding inside. We're all getting pretty pumped about seeing the Decimator's cool flamerfists in action... until it rolls three 1's for its hits.

The Decimator looms menacingly over the Terminators, which backhand it in the knees until it dies.

With an Imperial fracking tower in the foreground, the remaining powerfists and meltaguns converge on the Land Raider.

The game was an Imperial victory, with the Knight making it really difficult for the Night Lords to gain the upper hand. Was lots of fun, and we're all looking forward to playing again - next time I might ally Dark Eldar with Chirurgeon's Chaos, so he's not always getting ganged up on by his hosts.

Chirurgeon also introduced my brother and I to a new way of playing 40k, involving bidding strategy points to determine turn sequence and purchase benefits. It was lots of fun, and my brother and I played a second game to try it out. Right now we're worried we might prefer it so much that we're tempted to abandon official 40k all together.

Here's a bonus Void Shield photo from that second game - you can see that whenever metal models touch the glass, the lightning arcs off the contact point.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 27, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
All props to Fix for supplying the plasma ball. I was looking across the table that battle and thinking about how many goons donated models, ideas, and bitz to make it all possible. You guys rule. Chirurgeon was even incredibly generous enough to donate a completely NIB Hive Tyrant kit so I can convert a Malanthrope.

Sulecist and SRM, I'll be mailing you guys your bitz this week to keep the Goon karma good.

In the meantime, just used some commission Paypal money to purchase my next project... Catachan Treehouse Clubhouse! No Xenos, Mutants, Heretics or Girls Allowed!!! Gonna deck it out with communications antenna, camo netting, ammo crates, emplaced weapons, creeping jungle creatures, skulls, and more. Should be loads of fun to make.

Got it for a steal, and it's going to supply enough trees to complete my jungle board. The trees look like this when painted (ignore the goopy waterfall, still need to fix it and make it look good):

If anybody hasn't raided yard sales and ebay for old toys to make into terrain, I highly recommend it. Some of my favorite terrain pieces were old toys I found in my house.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Finished two commission minis. It's fun to convert IG regiment models to other regiments.

I was asked to make the chubby Cadian Lieutenant into a Tallarn, and the Catachan Harker into a Mordian.

I think they turned out pretty darn well. Now to finish up that Squat unit, finally. Life has really been getting in the way of painting these past few weeks.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Orks? Orks.

These are fantastic things. Keep posting pictures as you Ork them up further with plasticard! Here's a big old dump of my WIP stuff to repay you and everyone else who posts cool mini photos. The Squats using goon bits are still sitting at 99% done... goal is to finish them tonight!

Started on a Squiggoth for my brother's Orks as a birthday gift. Started out life as a toy elephant. I chopped it up and added some Ork bits.

Re-posed the front leg to make it more dynamic and added some clay to fill the major gaps. The clay was intended to be cut and sanded down, which is why it looks chunky and goofy. I only had Catachan handy to test an "embarked" unit.

Start on sculpting the head. Obviously needs teeth, nostrils, skin detail, and tusks. It's going to get nice curving tusks - the chunky ones above looked pretty bad.

With Forge World updating the Anphelion Project book, I decided to convert my own Dimachaeron and Malanthrope. I was recently given a free Hive Tyrant kit, and had lots of leftover Tervigon bits from a past commission, so these guys are completely from the bitz box. I have to say, though, I really regret donating away my old Tyranid bits a year or so back!

Malanthrope:

Dimachaeron gobbly torso:

Scratch-sculpted Dimachaeron torso (very WIP):

I've also really been working on my terrain. The tan stone bits were always too clean and bright, so I added a controlled brown wash to really make them look grungy. I'm also adding more foliage, and plan to have green algae streaking down some parts. I'll eventually photograph all of my terrain pieces, but even just after the brown I'm much happier!

Before:

After (still needs black wash on the base, green streaking on the stone, and more flock/foliage):

And lastly, I decided I needed a real terrain centerpiece. I found this toy treehouse for a steal on ebay. It also provided me with enough toy trees to make a few more stands of jungle terrain. I'm going to add camo netting, weapon emplacements, banks of communication equipment, fuel tanks, storage containers, and more.

It's hard to not get side-tracked with tons of new projects constantly!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
SRM, cool dudes. Looking forward to what you do with the Space Marine Librarian sent your way!

And, at long last, I finished the Squats! They play as a Veteran Squad with 4+ save, two meltaguns, and a flamer. When joined by a Priest they cost 125 points, exactly enough to tag along with my Imperial Knight as a neat 500pt attachment to any of my other IG lists.

I wanted an Imperial Priest to tag along and show that not all the Squats are secular allies of the Mechanicus. This guy proves that the little dudes are still squarely on the side of the Emperor.

Thanks again to BULBASAUR for donating the arms, and to that dude I know who had a bunch of minis in his basement when I was at his house for a party and gave me the dwarfs for my birthday. You guys make dreams reality.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Told some girl she couldn't come over because I had :siren:IMPORTANT THINGS:siren: to do which would require my attention all day. I proceeded to make up for the past few months of no-hobby time by hamming out all day with garden shears, an orbital sander, glue gun, tinfoil, and insulation foam.

Accessorizing my warzone dollhouse was more fun than I might want to admit to a normal person. The treehouse has a twin-linked autocannon on the roof, missile launcher covering the entrance, a searchlight, secret backdoor bunker entrance, and all manner of fun little bits. Still looking for ideas on what to put on the big empty platform on the far left.

I was getting a bit bored with most of my terrain being LOS-blocking pieces, so this should be a little more interactive and fun to play on. Everything separates and the heights are compatible with my stone temple ruins so that bridges can be used to connect them in different configurations.

EDIT: Found some photos from old battles on my phone. Immortalizing them here so I can delete them off the device.

Bewildered Squats open fire as they're charged by warp-enlivened daemon shrubs. That game we had daemon plants randomly coming to life and attacking the nearest unit.

Orks being cool, not caring, and riding motorcycles up staircases to seize the objective (their wandering bomb squig).

Boyz bog down a Wraithknight, which only squishes one or two a turn with its prissy little delicate hooves, as the Nob powerklaws it to death over three turns.

Gone muddin'.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 12, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Germ posted:

The entire warband of Morbus Maggotkin, Exalted of Nurgle. Put on my Necron display board (which will get a repaint in grey for the tournament) and squeezed into my lightbox (which is too small for the job).

So smooth, so fabulous. Loving both the paintjobs and the conversions.

All the recent talk of commissions is firing me up again. Summer has been hectic with work and socializing, but winter should calm things down a bit. I'll probably start looking for a client again soon. Would love to do a heavily converted army of Eldar Exodites, Thousand Sons with Tomb King models as Daemons, Chaos Renegades with Fantasy monsters gunned and armored up as tanks, etc.

Wish I could post pictures, but my image host is down. Got some crazy jungle terrain in progress, plus some more Catachan. Not to mention a scratchbuild Squiggoth and kitbashed Dimachaeron...

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I have a bunch saved at home and can post later- including classics like doc thunder, 4 legged drednoughts, and The Good Stuff (TM) obliterators
Please, please have the Skull Rhino brigade. The pictures of that goofy-rear end parade absolutely slay me every single time.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Was scrolling and thinking how much I enjoyed your culty kitbashes, and then saw this. :3:

My image hosting site has been mostly dead for the past week and a half, so I really hope it comes back soon and I didn't lose all my photos. I may have to switch to a new host for the future. Going to have a few battles with my brother this coming week on new terrain, and I'd like to share pictures!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
I'm looking to part with some of my Tyranid conversions. It's hard to do, since I have really good memories of making and fielding these guys, but I need to open up a little space. I'd be willing to convert them for your needs (if, say, you wanted the Carnifexes to have twin-linked Devourers) and/or repaint them to a color scheme of your choosing.

If any of these interest you, shoot me a PM or email me at p.h.dolan at gmail. I can take new and better pictures for you, if you like.

The "Brutefex":

The "Krootfex":

Tyranid Prime with boneswords:

Converted Broodlord (visible in the back of the first picture and front-right of the second):

Minorly-converted Broodlord with implant attack tongue, crouched pose, and skeleton on the base:

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 30, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Brother came to visit me in my cabin in the woods, and after playing a 1500pt Nids vs Eldar game, we decided we were long overdue for an Apoc match. A big board was also the perfect chance to try out my new terrain pieces (still very much in the process of being painted).

The board is a little janky looking, since we had to improvise an extension using some panes of glass typically used to winterize the house. Someday down the line I'll buy another 2' x 3' section and paint it up to look like an Imperial base, so we can make a nicer-looking Apocalypse board.

Brother finishing up deployment:

Freeblade Knight Carno Taurus and his Mechanicus Squat escort defend the perimeter fence. The Ratlings survived two surprising hails of fire from the Stompa shortly after, but the cowardly little abhumans bolted off the board shortly after.

Catachan HQ treehouse complex with its basecoat of paint. Will eventually get a million more details painted on, and plenty of foliage, but it served the game well. Has an emplaced twin-linked Skyfire autocannon as well as a regular missile launcher.

Spotter up in his tower searching for which booby trap to detonate in the jungle next (plays as a Forge World Earthshaker Emplacement, with the S9 AP3 shots representing detonating bombs/mines).

Vendetta comes in from reserves, starting to lay some hull points on the Stompa.

Squat Grudgebearer (plays as Vindicare Assassin) stayed perched on the roof the entire game. He missed his first two shots (at BS8) and then, on his first hit, failed to wound with his S10 AP1 shot. Not too impressive.

Leman Russ Executioner Storm King got hot three times, wrecking itself instead of the Trukk it was trying to hit. Found out later that tanks only take the Hull Point after failing a save, but odds are I would have ruined myself anyway. Catachan weren't exactly on top of their game this day.

Vendetta's-eye view of the battle.

The Trukk of 10 Burna Boyz, unfazed by the two rounds of shooting from the Executioner (which resulted in the death of the tank, much to the raucous appreciation of the Boyz, I'm sure), unloads ten templates on the newly-arrived Rough Riders.

Captain Bel'Haven arrives, casually putting a plasma bolt right into the visor of the Killa Kan on the nearby objective and blowing it to smithereens before all of his other plasma men get to fire.

Tired of riding around instead of krumpin' 'eads, Ghazgkull and his Meganobz unload to do some damage. The Ogryns prove incredibly resilient, holding out for several turns. The last survivor eventually charged out of the grass to attempt a last-ditch assault of a Biker Nob on an objective, but to no avail.

The Stompa turns its gaze on the Squats, who are Melta-beaming it without much effect.

And that's it for now. My brother should have more photos at some point.

Went back and forth for a bit, but by the end the Orks were very firmly in the lead. Amazing how drastically the score of a game can swing from one turn to the next. My Cats will have to step it up next time, as will I! Been on a bit of a losing streak lately.

EDIT: Here's a shot of the WIP treehouse in another example setup. It's three separate pieces connected by bridges (compatible with my stone temple terrain), so it can be assembled in quite a few different ways.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 4, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Just preordered Space Hulk through my FLGS. They gave me a cool 20% off and they expect it in Thursday night. I'm pretty stoked, although that was a pretty big impulse buy on my part.
I wanna play! I'll bring the bottle of Jameson.

jadebullet posted:

The important part is that she says that there needs to be a hole in the side of it that has been blown out from the inside, with an scorched up ork hanging out of it and reloading his rokkit launcha. She calls this the "shootin hole."
She "gets it."

Anybody have :siren:GREY KNIGHT TERMINATOR BITS:siren: they're willing to part with? With the Inquisition and GK Codexes being split I need to make some new models to fix up my lists, and some Exo-Armour Squats will fit the bill nicely. I need Terminator arms and weapons to put on Dwarf Irondrakes. They'll be quite a bit like the ones I made below for a commission.

Also, will soon be looking to take a new commission. Let me know if you need cool things converted for your armies!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

I may have something. Where in the worlds do you live?
New Yawk! Shoot me a PM or email at p.h.dolan at gmail.

I've posted all these before, but here's the rest of my Squats. These Terminators will be the biggest and baddest of the bunch.

Catachan Squat Infantry with some homebrew, riding a tank:

Ministorum Priest:

Veterans in Carapace Armour:

Techpriest Enginseer:

Vindicare Assassin:

Jokaero:

Grey knight Interceptors:

They're pretty much an entire army, now!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

I have a very small handful of RT era GK bits. I also have some Forgefather dudes from Mantic that came with my wannabe Thunderfires if you want them. PM me.
Thanks for the offer, but i'm trying to keep the squad consistent by just using the new plastic GK. Much appreciated, though!

jadebullet posted:

On the topic of interesting bits lying around, does anyone have any cool looking axes lying around that they wouldn't mind parting with? I am working on my honor guard for my marines and I figured that it would be cool to have them all have large, two handed axes and angelus boltguns, but I am having trouble finding cool looking axe heads.
I'll soon have a few ornate axes spare from the Dwarf Ironbreakers I'm getting. Let me know if they interest you.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dwarf-Ironbreakers?_requestid=1673991

Gotta keep the goon bitz karma flowing, after all.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

:siren:Yo buffchix::siren:

You rule. Remind me to keep sending you things. And the drybrushing of bases makes a huge difference. I'm still not 100% on the green bases - they're the one thing I'm a bit iffy on - but they look loads better now, to the point where my reservations about them are almost completely gone.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
This makes me happy as heck. I'm adding you to my "always donate bitz to these people for free" list because you're awesome. The yellow bandanas are the icing on the cake. My one piece of critique is to keep the bandana color consistent throughout the squad - either have them all green, or all yellow (I think you know which I'll vote for!).

I'm still shocked at how good you made that kind of crazy scheme look. Awesome job.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Finally finished some guys I'd been stalling on.

This is a Primaris Psyker, who brings the jungle foliage to life to fight the enemy. He plays in a 500pt allied list with my tree daemons. I may eventually make a unit of jungle skeletons so he can resurrect the dead, too (by summoning daemons).

Here's the Daemons, though I've posted them before. Play as Daemonettes and a Daemon Prince. I'll eventually make another tree as a Greater Daemon.

And here's some assorted Guardsmen. Most of them are crew for my "spotter tower" Earthshaker battery, but I just made the guy with the heavy stubber to look cool. I'll run him as a heavy flamer, assuming he's just hosing bullets at point-blank range.

And here's the spotter tower, for those who haven't seen it. It plays as an Earthshaker artillery piece, and the S9 AP3 shots count as detonating booby traps. I need to touch it up with more weathering and add camo designs to the fabric.

The guy with the binoculars can stand up in the tower.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

And here's everything I've painted this month - it's been productive!
The combined forces look great together, and I'll never stop being pumped to see that Librarian all gussied up. Love the retro Whirlwind, especially the fact that the whole big launcher is red.

Made more progress on my brother's Squiggoth. It needs some smoothing out, some pebbly skin texture added with liquid greenstuff, some more ornaments and trophies, etc. but I'm real happy with how it's coming along. Used a super old retro Ork with a modern head to make Kaptin Squig up on top.

Hope to have completed photos soon, and my brother's painted product shortly after.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

The best option I can think of would be to get the Rat Ogres from Island of Blood and mash em up with Wrack and Talos parts.
Cheap and super easy. Here's three of the four my brother made.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Moola posted:

At best it looks like a neat kitbash of a Carnifex

theres nothing exciting or new about it at all
Exactly. As a super-long-time Tyranid player, who mostly loves the army for the sweet monsters and potential conversions, I'm kind of bummed at how unimaginative most of the big beasts are. A lot of them look like Carnifexes with tweaked proportions and different arms, plus some different spikes and accoutrements. Before the official models, there were some really cool and creative Tyranids converted by fans which kept to the Tyranid "rules" (distinct body segments, exactly six limbs, etc) but implemented them in really creative ways. I wish the official models showed a little more of that imagination.

My biggest disappointment is still the Harpy. The original artwork described it as long and sinuous, like a Trygon. Then the model dropped and we got a fat bumblebee/blimp which looks almost exactly like a Carnifex with Hive Tyrant wings glued on. We didn't need a new model to do that.

Sorry to complain - I look forward to seeing them from more angles, and I am glad that Tyranids are getting more options!

Dude looks super cool.

Started mocking up my Exo-Armour Squats. These will ally with my Catachan and existing Squats as Grey Knight Terminators. Still need details and cleaning up, but these show the basic idea.

Terminator with Thunder Hammer.

Terminator Sergeant or whatever it's called for GK.

Terminator Librarian. I like the way the dwarf armor disguises the Terminator shoulders, so I may add it to the others too. My concern is that it looks a little too Warmachine-y, and I usually can't stand that aesthetic.

Also finished my brother's Squiggoth. He's painting it up right now.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 28, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
:siren: BROKEN :siren:

:siren: LOOSE :siren:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

jadebullet posted:

Standard Bearer along with shots of the banner and the Vulture. A special thanks to BuffaloChicken for the axe. He looks better now that he actually has a weapon.
Always happy to see bits go to good use - these guys look great, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the axes in action. I also approve of the Chapter name, having studied zoology in college (including ornithology).

The Tyranids are starting to look better now that we're seeing more angles. I can't comment on the rules because I'm illiterate and, after converting my minis, rely on my brother telling my drunk rear end mid-game how my own units function.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

spacegoat posted:

Crosspostin'. Forgive the phone pics I'm just glad to have something finished.

I rarely post when I'm not contributing photos of my own minis, but those are bomb as heck and I hope you keep painting/sharing more. Those Warriors were my favorites when I started Tyranids, and I think they still look pretty good - I converted mine to play as Tyranid Primes. Also, please get with SRM and have a battle against his equally dope Ultramarines/IG.

To make up for my personal lack of paint progress photos, my brother is almost done painting the Squiggoth I converted for him (and posted WIP photos of in this thread).

I'm really happy with how it's come together under his brush skills! I have lots of WIP Squat stuff to share soon, as well as some Eldar and Tyranids, but I've been lazy with photos recently.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 10, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I don't remember if buffalochicken posts in the mini painting thread so I'll leave this here.

Just saw these on the 'eavier metal Facebook group.

I thought they were neat and I know buffalochicken was working on some squats and promised us some more pics soon. This might get him working again.
Thanks for the shout-out! I was going to hold off on posting more WIPs since there hasn't been much progress, but I guess i can share the latest drafts before they get painted. I'm still waiting on getting more PayPal money so I can buy the 40mm bases and grenade bits I need to complete these.

My Exo-Armour Squats aren't as beefy as the Scrunturions above, but I think they're about right to easily pass as Terminators. Here's the GK Terminator squad, followed by the GK Terminator Librarian.

Also have an Inquisitor to lead my detachment for that army, now that they're split from Grey Knights. I wanted a pretty bare-bones Inquisitor with Conversion Beamer to sit with my Jokaero and bolter henchmen, but I didn't know how to make a big weapon like a beamer on my tiny dwarf. Decided to run my Squat cannon, previously just an objective, as a marker alongside the tiny guy as his weapon.

The Inquisitor:

His Conversion Beamer (paint in progress):

And on a scrunt-less note, with the new Anphelion Project edition, I needed to make a Malanthrope. I had some big Nurgle bug wings in my bitz box and decided to put them to use, instead of the floating balloon-sacs on the official model. I still have some nasty gassy sacs and tubes on the back to give the shrouded effect to nearby Tyranids, but I'll take another photo of that part when the greenstuffing is done.

Huge major thanks to TheChirurgeon for donating the Tyrant model!

Also, my brother finally finished up the Squiggoth I made him. Started off as a toy elephant and some bits:

And turned into this.

Will get a game in with it in early December, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 17, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

This isn't really a big issue for me, but I thought about it a little myself. The way I figure it's configured is that there's a sacrificial sac that's blown open when it lands and its cargo busts out. Then the surviving bit inflates and starts floating around. The old mycetic spore fluff/rules had something similar minus the floating and I am stealing entirely from that.
I made a diagram to help you out.

The Sporocyte is superficially very similar, but instead of being filled with living cargo and gas bladders it's filled with gross muscles and ammunition.

I like the new kit and think it looks pretty neat. I would have loved to see Mycetic Spores as an upgrade where "unit can deepstrike, can do nothing on arrival turn but gains a 5+ invulnerable" to represent them exploding into wet garbage while the Tyrannocyte is like an upgraded Mycetic Spore which does more than splat into oblivion.

Anyhow, I'm a very happy Tyranid player at the moment. Looking forward to our new formations and Warlord traits.

EDIT: This is cool though.

Also:

Ignite Memories posted:

Cutting off their nodes to cyte their face.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Also, can anyone give me the exact height of the Tyrannocyte? I plan on using my existing models (with a bit of converting) but want to play honestly with what line of sight should be to the models.

Mine don't float like some wussy parade balloons, they crawl and drag their crippled wreckage through the earth in a super dirty feeding frenzy.

• Locked thread