Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Cataphract posted:

I've painted close to 50 ork shoota boys over the past couple months... I'm almost certain they're going to make choppas really good again and I'll have to paint more boyz.

God I hope so.

I don't think they can make them good again, because the assault rules are terrible and now people can flamer my orks when they're in Trukks/Battlewagons. But maybe they can make them cheaper. That would be okay with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Sir Teabag posted:

Wait a second, you can use template weapons on open topped vehicles and hit the units inside?

(I don't have the new book, and haven't read through the 500+ pages of discussion since I last read this thread.)

Yes you can. The flamer hits the vehicle and inflicts D6 hits on the unit inside now...

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Are you making GBS threads me

I wish I was man. :(

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The Gorkanaut and Morkanaut need to be really cheap if they can't divide fire between targets and have guns that aren't so great (especially since they die to one "explodes" result). I was hoping the gattling gun of gattling guns would be stronger than than they're showing it to be.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Since it's a Torrent weapon, it can still drop the template in a LOT of places. It just can't drop it everywhere anymore. The bigger nerf was the loss of the D3 Vector Strikes to ground targets.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

We created a house Mission slate that details a few changes that we think have improved things. We provide extra bonuses to sticking to a single FOC with no allies or other supplementary stuff, making 3 tiers of armies (Brotherhood of War, Battle-forged and Unbound). We also use Primary Objectives, Secondary Objectives Kill Points and Tactical Objective cards in each mission. It keeps the games high-scoring, and provides multiple avenues to victory, promoting the creation of a balanced army list. We modified the rules for the Tactical Objectives, so that each player only has 1 active card at a time, which is discarded at the end of the turn if it's not accomplished so you don't get stuck with a poo poo card or one that's too hard/far away to pull off.

It's still a rough draft and we'll continue to modify it as we get more experiences with 7th, but it's been a lot of fun, and the games are high-scoring and exciting with all the VPs constantly being awarded to each player. Will post if people are interested.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Lord Of Texas posted:

Magic has undergone a long shift from the previously dominant control and combo archetypes of yesteryear to a more balanced metagame.

Across every format, too. Magic is a really balanced game that's designed to be both competitive and casual. Oh, and they happen to make heaps of money too. GW could learn something from them. They don't have to appeal exclusively to a casual crowd to sell product.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Basically, yeah.

The warboss loves the sea. Fuckin' LOVES it. Spore'd on a planet full of it, spent a lot of time on da high seaz, and when eventually he grew too ambitious to stay on one planet took a whole fleet of ships with him.

Turns out a lot of planets don't have as much water! But that isn't going to stop him, gently caress no, so he cruises around with wheeled ships on desert planets giving exactly zero fucks if it looks ridiculous or impractical. He's got booty to plunder, teef to steal, and heads to crump.

I think I will give him a squig parrot.

Honestly it's an idea I've had in the back of my mind since the 4th edition book, but got tossed to the side for a while. Now's as good a time as any to tackle it.

With awesome Pirate Ork heads!

http://www.grimgoblin.co.uk/maxmini---pirate-orc-boyz-heads-5--ork-warhammer-40k-nobz-fantasy-goblins-big-260-p.asp

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Lootas got cheaper! If I can take 'wagons as dedicated transports (thought I heard/saw that somewhere) to free up HS slots for more Lootaz, the way I run my orks will be just fine. Sucks about the KFF nerf though. And the Dakkajet nerf. And the cybork nerf.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Cataphract posted:

Why is a nob with a power klaw still more points than a nob in mega armour... with a power klaw

I assume it's because they can run and make sweeping advances and whatnot. And they're not bulky.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Jesus, the new Ork codex just butchered pretty much every good unit they had. Is there a way to build a winning Ork list with the new codex?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

LordAba posted:

Unless I get something wrong, the charge of boys in a trukk:

6" move + 6" disembark + 1" run + 2" charge + 2" from planks = 17" minimum charge on the WAUGGGH turn. On average you can get a 24" charge, not factoring in 'Er we go.

I thought about this. Perhaps spamming Trukk Boyz is the way to go?

In order to get a Waaagh! you need to use a Warboss. But there's no way to give them an invulnerable save of any kind now, which cripples them in combat. Is it worth taking Ghaz as your Warlord from the LoW slot to have a Warlord that doesn't suck in combat that gives you an (improved) Waaagh!?

What about Weirdboyz and trying to roll the +2 Strength blessing?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Whoa, I love the overlay you have on the table. Is it something you got online or had custom made?

It's made by frontlinegaming. I've got the same gaming mat. It looks and plays great.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Taking a Reinforced Ram on a Battlewagon is still a good idea, right? Deffrolla's got nerfed hard, but they're also only half the points. Is it worth the extra 5 points to go from a Ram to a 'Rolla in any conceivable way?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Don't Boarding Planks cost 15 points?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Someone was talking about this earlier, and said they lost some other important rule for taking this. I was on my phone, and now I can't remember what they were talking about. Do you know what they're talking about?

Ya, you lose Objective Secured. Absolutely not worth it.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The Green Tide formation seems pretty good if you give the Warboss the Relic Bosspole. 100 fearless orks is pretty neat. You can still buy up to 10 Nobs and give them Klaws, right? And wouldn't 1 Painboy give all 100+ models a 5+ FNP?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Forgeworld units all look cool as gently caress, people who don't want them on the table have no sense of cinematics or narrative. Or style.

I mean gently caress, which one of these would you rather see on a table:

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the avatar on the left...

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I like the Forgeworld one because I feel the Avatar of Khaine, the embodiment of the Eldar god of war, should be taller and more imposing than a Terminator

It is dude, it's way bigger. A Terminator doesn't even come up to his shoulders.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Played against a super repairing Stompa with some pain boy biker support last night with my rhino rush/imp knight/stormtalons list. The Stompa has guns like woah but it had to spend a ton of time shooting my rhinos and little 5 man squads while my knight and chapter master dismantled the biker squads and airplanes mowed down the Gretchen that walked on the board. Game was truly over when my 1HP knight charged the Stompa, put a few hullpoints into it, got explodedon the stompa's swings back, scattered onto the stompa and did 11 hullpoints to the thing in the explosion, which caused the stompa to blow and clear out the dudes my chapter master was caught up with on turn 4. Turn 5 I shoot with hovering airplanes and charge whatever was left in the stompa (some gretchen and lootas with his big mek) with the chapter master for the table.

Stompas are pretty rad and I'm thankful I had the knight to ace it out. I don't know if the repairing trick is the way to go since I think it probably needs more support. Painboy in bike squads was a pretty cool idea. Pretty hard to double them out with shooting unless you have a manticore or something.

I wasn't expecting a competitive review of a super repairing stompa to be so positive. So even against a solid list it wasn't utter jank?

Did it use a KFF mek for repairs and a shield + the riggers for IWND?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I think that FW Tyranid would look okay if you can model it without its umbrella.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

BuffaloChicken plays 40K the right way.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Since all 100 Boyz in the Green Tide detachment count as a "single unit" (but count as 10 VPs if they're all wiped out) does that mean that they have to assault a single unit together, or can all 10 squads function more or less independently from one another for the purposes of shooting and assaulting?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

AbusePuppy posted:

They function exactly like they would if you bought them all as one gigantic squad, so they must all shoot at a single target. They can potentially charge more than one target using the normal multiassault rules, but that can be difficult to achieve. It's the big limiter on the formation- getting to Waaaagh ever turn is nice, but having those 700+pts tied up into a single unit is often very limiting.

Oh man, that really sucks. Oh well.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Warhammer 40k: Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

A lot of people WANT them to be bought out by Hasbro, but does Hasbro even see any potential profit in it? Is it even attractive to them? Is it attractive to anyone?

But is this true?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

I did my best, even using a bit of mod fuckery to extend the field but it hit the hardcode limit.

Haha, awesome dude. :black101:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

If you have only one drop pod in your army, can you decide if it drops on the first turn or if you hold it in reserves?

No, I think it has to drop.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

SRM posted:

Does Wazdakka make Murderfangs Troops?

Only if joined by Telion.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Cataphract posted:

Being troops is not a big deal anymore, following the FOC is not a big deal anymore.

Has this really been the case for you? Objective Secured has been a game-winning ability in the majority of the 7th edition games I've played. Particularly against people with the opinion you express here.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Boon posted:

Where are the rules for the current 40k allowed Lord of Wars?

In the Escalation book and/or in the newer Codexes.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Does anyone have a link for the affordable Ork Warbuggy alternative models?

Also, does anyone know of any cool-looking non-GW models that can be used for the Vindicare Assassin and the Culexus Assassin? The stock Vindicare looks okay, but I figured there might be a sweet looking Sniper model out there that would make a good alternative to the GW one. And the Culexux Assassin desperately needs a new model... are there any good alternatives for him out there that fit the theme?

Thanks in advance.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

ANAmal.net posted:

There's nothing wrong with paying someone else to paint your mans, but there is something very much wrong with paying Blue Table Painting to do it (namely that they are real bad at it).

This. All the stuff I own is commissioned stuff. But I paid a fraction of what they charge and it looks 10x better. There are a bunch of good artists out there that are more affordable and churn out much better work. I'd shop around with different painting services before settling on Blue Table.

On an unrelated note, how are Rokkit Buggies playing out in 7th for those out there that play Orks? They're cheap and they provide a moving screen to deliver Battlewagons carrying Boyz unscathed. In addition to only being 25 points and having a TL-Rokkit Launcha. Thoughts on filling up the FA slots with them to screen 'Wagons and get some TL S8 shooting in the list?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

AbusePuppy posted:

I'm not sure I'd take a ton of Buggies, but they are decent little units. They do all the stuff you need them to and they can help with saturation against most opponents- Serpents and Broadsides will ruin your day, but that's just the cost of doing business.

So 3 squads of 3 as rolling cover for 3 'Wagons would be overboard? How many is too many?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Raphus C posted:

Buggies are a good screen. It is what I use them for.

I think that Dethkoptas are now a decent choice if you want a screen. Their armour and jink save means that they will shrug-off some of the fire coming their way. Buggies are AV10 with 2HP so can die to small arms fire (slightly harder to damage than Koptas bt also harder to OHKO).

I think koptas make a better screen as they should stay alive longer due to armour and jink saves. A KFF won't project out and protect buggies any more so they are more exposed to incoming fire. You also have the old chain reaction problem I suffered last game, rare as it may be, in that one exploding buggy takes HP from another. Though this problem is much less concerning than a failed moral check.

Koptas can also turbo boost off and assault something if needed.

I may try using the Deffkoptas as my moving screens. They're only 5 points more, and they're more survivable. They probably have more additional utility when I'm not using them as screens too, because they can cover a great distance quickly.

Thanks for the advice.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I think the actual ruleset for 7th is pretty good. We control a couple of the elements we don't like by running our own missions, which provide additional bonuses to forces that adhere to a traditional FOC, and provide multiple avenues to winning (objectives, mission cards and kill points -- all of which are scaled down a bit from how they're set up in the BRB).

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

SRM, those old-school Ultras are just too awesome. Keep up the good work.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nice. Are their rules in a dataslate or supplement? I haven't really been paying attention to the last couple releases.

Ya, they just got a brand new supplement for those 4 models, and the Culexus Assassin is a baller. He wrecks psykers and is really hard to remove (with some reasonable offensive abilities too) for a tolerable cost.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Would the Ork Warband Detachment be a good starting list for a new Ork player?

I don't think so. I'd stick to regular Combined Arms Detachments. Too much of the strategy relies on Boyz (and sometimes Gretchen too) to play a list where you're lacking Objective Secured, IMO.

As an aside, Gretchen have been a nice use of 35 points to have an 11-model unit that comes out of reserve and can go to ground on an Objective with the Objective Secured special rule. But they're pretty useless without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Speckled Jim posted:

Why are missiles so popular with the devastators? Is it the versatility? I would have thought plasma could do everything a missile launcher would do except with ap2. Thats assuming you dont take flakk missiles, which seem thoroughly overpriced to me. No ones that afraid of blowing themselves up are they?

Missiles aren't great, but they can't scatter off armor and they're S8 against targets where that's relevant. And ya, blowing yourself up sucks when you're paying that much for the model. Plasma Cannons are usually better still, but I think that's the argument for missiles.

• Locked thread