Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I could never get on with batreps while painting as I found them too distracting. A decent podcast works wonders though (I'm looking at you, Independent Characters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm kind of shocked that Shadow in the Warp and Tzeentch Daemons not getting any update on how they affect psykers.

Same with Runes of Witnessing (unless that still works the same I guess).

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 27, 2014

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Starting to pick up some pace on my 30k Salamanders. They're pretty quick to paint to this standard (going for the FW weathered look rather than crisp edge highlighting) but wondered if anyone might have any tips to make them stand out a little more, if anything? I know the bases could do with a little more to them but it does the job for now.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Took better pictures (with cleaned up bases and drilled barrels):

Fuegan, I totally stole your eye lens painting method of dotting the corners with white. It makes them look so much better, my god, why did I never do it before?

Also, regarding the :siren:goon project:siren:, if you need someone to rewrite the entire Tyranid codex let me know. I'm still going to play the hell out of 7th Edition, but I always enjoy contributing to these types of things.

These look awesome. Glad I could help, the white dot really adds a bit more depth and life to the lenses I find. Just a shame these stupid Mk.III armour models I'm currently working on don't have any!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Having played Orcs and Goblins in Fantasy for a while, I honestly find animosity to be pretty entertaining. It's certainly not as punishing as it used to be.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Huh, just noticed that a lot of the Sisters stuff on the website is now listed as no longer available. Fancy that.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

30k question: How much would I be shooting myself in the foot if I ran a Talon of three Contemptors with Multi-melta and power fist/heavy flamers? Wanted something thematic but awesome for my Salamanders.

(I'm probably going to magnetise them regardless but it'd be cool to hear what loadouts people have had success with.)

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah, at least one of those is going to be next month's oath if it's out by then. With that, the upgrade kit, Firedrakes and Vulkan coming out relatively soon, my wallet is going to take a pounding.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I do not like these new rumours about the Ork codex at all, apparently Mob Rule doesn't actually confer fearless but some sort of bizzarre chart you roll on and suffer additional casualties but don't fall back.

So it's like a lovely poo poo lovely fearless.

Apparently it was a previous rule called No Retreat or something like that.

He says surprised, after seeing what they did to Tyranids :v:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah, the one on foot is the Magos Dominus with Rad-cleanser you can currently buy on FW. The Abeyant had a preview model at the FW Open Day I think.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Any chance you can recognize the model on the Abeyant? It's a Myrmidon of some type but the head looks new and it appears elsewhere in the book.

It looks the same as the head on the background picture on p.229 for the Myrmidon Destructors but can't see it on any of the current range anywhere.

A quick GIS found this from GD 2013 it seems.

And also this which appears to be the model they've put on the Abeyant for the picture in the book.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 10, 2014

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The current models come with a volkite culverin, irradiation engine and conversion beamer, so I assume the variant I linked is one of the other weapons (probably the Graviton variant) and we'll see it at some point.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

On the one hand it looks like a modified Caestus, which is cool. On the other hand I saw a shot from the side and it's basically shaped like a dog's head.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Drake_263 posted:

No idea what the so-called Helfrost special rule will do, but it seems kind of weird to be expecting a Lance weapon in an Imperial army.

I think the rumours point to a Strength test of some kind.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah, they're the same height but the Malanthrope is no where near as bulky as a Trygon.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Never stop posting awesome battle report pictures.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Bretonnian peasant kits have a decent flowing banner that could suit, as does the Empire State Troops set although that one's a bit more detailed.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

When I worked at the Oxford store, we had the biggest number of staff in the area and so would often be asked to cover the one man stores if people were going to be away for holiday/training etc.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Murderfang is equipped with The Murderclaws. Of course.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Has anybody pre-ordered the Legion Firedrakes and mind taking photos of the sprues for me when they arrive? I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to give them combi-weapons.

I've got some on the way. I'll try and remember to do this before excitedly building them.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Can't remember who but someone requested a picture of the Firedrake terminators pre-construction to get an idea for weapon swaps or something. Behold!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The storm shield hand on the Firedrakes is on the right hand, making that a bit more difficult.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Chop off hand, replace with storm bolter hand.

It's doable but it's worth noting that the wrist also comes with a moulded attachment for the shield, so it'd need a bit of sculpting work to remove that and tidy that area up.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I can't get on with painting on sprue at all. A lot of the time I'll use a wash/medium mix to tone down basecoats and the thought of having to re-do those on small areas of the model and trying to match the same tone as the original coat just doesn't seem worth it.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The 30k models are awesome in general but putting them on kick-rear end resin bases (in this case, Dragonforge's Ancient Ruins set) makes them look even better. Cannot wait to get these painted.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

lovely picture time!

Managed to finally get around to finishing up some details to my Praetor and finishing the first half of my first Tactical Squad. They're not the cleanest paint job I've ever done but I wanted to go for that gritty weathered look. I might add some flames to break up the green but I'm happy with them for the moment.

Next up, either finish up my Pyroclasts or start on the next 5 guys for the squad.

Or the Firedrakes...

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah it's kind of weird to paint too if I'm honest. Quite difficult to get the tones right but there we go. Gotta get the practice in ready for Vulkan.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Quick 30k question. A friend of mine is starting a Word Bearers army and wants to run Daemon allies. Am I right in thinking the only HQ choices he can have in a standard list would be the Diabolist and the second compulsory Centurion or Chaplain?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

There are two possible HQ selections if you're using the WB Rite of War: A Praetor, a Centurion, and a Diabolist, or a Praetor, a Chaplain, and a Diabolist.

If you mean a standard list as in the default FOC list, it's not possible.

Of course, Centurions don't have Master of the Legion. Good work, me.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

It kind of looks like it can't be bothered.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Vulkan turned up this morning and the detail is :stare:

Cannot wait to start working on this.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

What time do preorders usually go up these days? I seem to recall 7pm GMT?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So Entropic Strike is just gauss in close combat? Good to see there's no shortage of imagination in the design team these days.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

It certainly streamlines it (which I agree is a good thing) but it's still a shame to see a pretty fun mechanic disappear. Fun for the Necron players at least. I'm more disappointed that the Lychguard shields lost their ability to reflect stuff. Bouncing an opponent's krak missiles into their own tank was awesome.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Sounds like Living Metal got a bit of a boost with the ability to regain a hull point on the roll of a 6 each turn.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

It's times like these that I wish I had more than 10 of the old Flayed Ones. Also that I didn't somehow have two Monoliths.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

We played an Apocalypse game yesterday and one dude's Scorpion 6'd a Heirodule in the first turn. It was the Tyranid player's only super heavy. :(

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

We weren't, since we had an equal spread of points but what was very apparent yesterday was that points != balance in Apocalypse. One team had a Scorpion, Cobra, Baneblade and an Imperial Knight vs a Stompa and a Heirodule. Team Evil definitely could have benefited from a couple of assets to balance this out some.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Having a crack at OSL using my airbrush because I currently suck at it. Figured I'd try it on a WIP Wraith so I could go over it if it's terrible. Photos aren't the best (first photo is under my painting light and it looks very bright) but any advice would be awesome since I've never really done this before and my airbrush work has previously consisted of "basecoat all the stuff" so any advice on needle sizes, air pressures etc for this kind of finer detail work would be greatly appreciated (I have a Sotar 20/20).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Back to the drawing board then. I think I need to invest in some better paints for this kind of stuff since I don't think the mix is helping as it kept clogging up the airbrush and probably lower the air pressure since I'm working on such a small area. Highlights on other areas makes sense. I did add a slightly lighter orange around the eye socket sections but I think it's just been washed out by the rest of it really.

• Locked thread