Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

DJ Dizzy posted:

Now that psykers have been changed, the gently caress are they doing to the runic weapon of space wolves?

I'm curious as to how space wolves as a whole will be when they eventually get updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
What are the effects on the perils table?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Did the wash on the axe like you guys said and they turned out great. Just a few small details and these guys will be done.

Next up on the chopping block will be my counts as Arjac Rockfist and Logan Grimnar (wolf pelt not shown).

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

So this Saturday will both my first game of 7th edition and my little brothers first game of 40k. Hes read over his codex and the main rulebook several so he has a grasp of the core rules but we haven't had time to actually play a game .I was thinking of bringing my CSM to face off against his Crimson Fists not only for thematic purposes but also CSM bring alot of varied things to the table (i.e Flyers, FMC'S, lots of challenges) so that he'll have wider sense of how units and special rules interact with each other. Or should I bring my Space Wolves and we just get the basics (ie. move,psychic, shoot, assualt phases) till he knows it by memory?

TL;DR Should I show him how the many different types of things for a broader view or should I keep things simple and work my way up?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

So today was a very special day. It was my little brothers first game of 40k and my first game of 7th ed. We played at Local FLGS (Game Kastle Fremont for those in the Bay area) who have some great tables. It was a 1000pts my Nurgle CSM army against his Crimson Fists (all infranty except for my Daemon Prince)and we played Purge the Alien with DoW deployment to keep things simple.It was a fairly long game due to both of us having to adapt and get used to new rules but there was. Highlights included Demon Prince going Super Saiyan on Turn 2 and then preceding to fail all but 2 out of 11 attacks and Pedro and Typhus having an epic duel for 3 turns.

Heres my army after Deployment (sans my Oblits which I accidentally brought with)

Here he his deploying his forces

The dogs of the false Emperor try to surprise Typhus and his host of zombies from behind

Daemon Princes stares down a soon to dead unit.

Said duel between Typhus and Kantor. (Typhus won :unsmigghh: )

All said Fun and Hams were had.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

The real question HotDog needs to be asking is where he can buy his first 30k rulebook

Speaking of I might have a line on the 2 mini 30k rulebooks. Before I decide to dive in I was wondering specifically what are the Sons of Horus are like gameplay wise. I'm a huge fan of the fluff and color scheme, and I recently saw the Horus model in person and that thing is AWESOME, but I haven't really seen them played in my area. Doesn't have to be to long I just want to get a sense of thier play style/rules compared the other legions.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Sons of Horus are...okay. If you're sold on playing them, they're fine, just know they're not the best around. Their Rite of War forces you into a pretty narrow corner to get Rage and Fleet sometimes. Banestrike bolter rounds (their only unique wargear) are 5 points for sometimes AP3, which could possibly be worth it if you're playing 30k vs 30k for the AP3 but otherwise you're probably not getting much for them. They get a solid, cheap flier as a DT, and Reaver squads will almost always be Troops for you, which are a great, versatile unit (and also still get Precision Shots and Precision Strikes). 10 Outflanking Boltgun Reavers will run you 205 points, and can take jump-packs for 255 and have a huge threat range. They're basically a combination of Stern/Vanguard Veterans from 40k. Justaerin Terminators are still hilariously overcosted (you're paying 30 points more than a 5-man Terminator squad for 3 models with +1 WS/A). Their HQ selections are versatile and useful. Maloghurst makes Veteran Tac Squads/Reavers Troops (both of which are really good). Abbadon is okay, and Horus is...Horus. If you like playing from Reserves, go for it.

Thanks for the write up.The only place with decent amount of info on the legions is 1d4chan and I take those sites with a huge grain of salt. I was told from others that World Eaters would fit me due to be similar to the others armies I own (Csm and SW ) but I don't want to overdose on CC. The 2 other legions that interest me are Word Bearers and Iron Warriors. How do those guys stack up ?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Word Bearers are pretty good. You can unlock the ability to give (some of) your squads a randomly generated ability of Zealot, +1 Str, or Daemon. Most of their ICs are psykers or can become psykers. Likewise, characters can take vanilla CCWs with Instant Death. Their Rite is mediocre but allow CD allies. Gal Vorbak are 200 points for +1 WS/S/T/W/A over baseline marines. They also get Ashen Circle, which are jump infantry which hurt nearby units when they deepstrike in, always get S5 HoW hits, and are really solid at Sweeping Advances. Kor Phaeron and Erebus are passable selections, and Lorgar is able to be one of the best Psykers in either 40k or 30k whole. I'll do IW if no one else will but BULBASAUR is probably a better choice.

Again thanks for the responses guys, really great stuff. At this moment I'm definelty leaning heavily towards Word Bearers at the moment.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hey guys just a quick rules question about walkers as I haven't used them a lot since I started playing but I've decided to try them out with 7th ed. My interpretation is they essentially move and assault like infantry but they still follow the combat speed rule of firing one weapon at full BS and the other as snapshots. Is this correct?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Nope, walkers fire everything at full BS regardless of whether they moved. Exception is they can't shoot if they run, same as infantry.

Thanks. I learn something new everyday.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Me and my brother will be playing some 40k again at Game Kastle Fremont later today so if any of you goons are around don't be afraid to come and say hi.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Had a real fun time playing 40k with my little bro , my nurgle csm against his Crimson Fists. Highlights included his sterngaurd wiping 4 out of my 6 nurgle bikers , and Typhus destroying an entire Terminator Squad in CC.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

He's not dead. He's just on a really good run of Angry Birds on his smart phone.

Hahah I love the whole thing. I don't care what others think! There's a TREMENDOUS amount of conversion potential here too....

Yeah! I can see why others would dislike it by I love just how Space Wolfy it is.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 21, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Space Wolves hate the poo poo out of the Inquisition because they don't even blink at the thought of sacrificing billions of Imperial citizens during the second(?) war or Armageddon just because there was a chance they could be tainted by Chaos. There's also the lack of Inquisitors ever making a return trip when they decide to poke their heads around on Fenris to see what's going on over there.

My favorite part of the Emperors Gift is when Bjorn is talking to an inquisitor and at some point the Inquisitor says something about the God-Emperor and Bjorn basically says "God-Emperor?! You realize that is how all this poo poo started. "

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

So, I painted a thing. This is probably the best painted model I have ever painted, and it only took me an hour.

Oh, and I need to learn how to take pictures.

From what I can tell that looks like pretty awesome Rune Priest.

Speaking of models I was going through and found this in my pile of unpainted models :

I believe it was a gift from a friends father who was an active wargamer way back in the 90's. For the SRM's in this thread , I'm curious as to how old is this bad boy?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

2nd edition Chaos Dreadnought, 1996.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response.

DJ Dizzy posted:

The greatest of dreadnoughts. Truly.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I actually prefer it to the Helbrute :smith:

Speaking of Dreadnoughts.

Truly. At first I didn't like this model but Ive found that it's actually kind of appealing. I can why SRM loves old GW models, they have this charm to them that is indiscernible.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

^^^^^

I look at that model and I feel the urge to yell "Not today, He-Man!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Just noticed that the my IPad CSM codex got an update for 7th which was a pleasant surprise.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Was it just faq info or was it something different?

All the clickable index stuff now has updated rules and so on.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

If anyone in fremont CA or nearby wants the space wolves including the special character I'd be willing to sell mine. I suppose i would ship it too.

Need to make a thread for my dark vengeance models and Krieg death riders too.

I'd be down for dragongaze and maybe the grey hunters and I'm local.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

What's a fair price for the HQ, Grey Hunters and terminators? All I've been seeing is pounds being thrown around.

I probably pay 15-20 for krom. I don't know how customizable the termies are so probably 20ish and probably another 20 for the hunters. :shrug:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

They are straight up the real deal models and not two piece click togethers like dark vengeance.

Pm'ed

Fix posted:

Was this already posted? I don't remember it.

I love this so much.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Boon posted:

So I'm thinking about buying the FW Avatar with sword (because I don't trust that loving spear not to snap erry day) and I wanted to see what your thoughts are on my idea to paint it.

Obviously it's going to have Biel-Tan colors tied in somewhere on the helm, the loin cloth, and probably the hair. However, I'm thinking of going with an icy look to help tie in the snow bases and the blue/purple on a couple of Wraith units. My thought is that it could go with a white/blue fire in the "molten" sections of his body (the cracks) which fade to purple and then black from the edge of the "plates" to the center.

Then probably some green gemstones and golden trim.

IIRC the main body of the spear is brass rod and the tip is the only resin part if your worrying about it snapping. Otherwise sounds like a great way to paint it up.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Meanwhile.

This makes me so happy. Cant wait for this release.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It's a space viking on a hover longship being pulled by giant wolves. How much more 40k than that can you get?

This. I'm just happy that we have an updated Logan Grimnar if that picture is to be trusted.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

I quite like the current Grimnar, its a really dynamic model from the era of "blisterpack-syndrome" models like power armor Njal.

Oh of course it wasn't a bad model , for me it just felt a little off compared to some of the newer models ( I only got into 40k about a year and a half ago)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

So I'm thinking of throwing together a campaign for me and my little brother to play out. It will be my first campaign and it will be CSM versus Space Marines. To that end I have bought the altar of war missions for both CSM and SM, kill team, and I found a PDF of the death world rules. From these I'll probably pick the missions that will suit the narrative I eventually come up with. Are there any other resources I could use to help build missions?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Creepy Goat posted:

Miniwargaming make some cool story-based missions that they play out on their YT channel, might be worth watching a few for inspiration.

That was what actually inspired me to do this. I'm thinking of aping the concept of one of Dave's campaigns. They also are what turned me onto the Death world table.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Creepy Goat posted:

Oh cool, they're pretty much the only reason I subscribe to MWG. I'm not into the whole competitive aspect so I only really enjoy the progressive narrative stuff, it's tough to find people with a fully painted collection who will commit though. This guy on Dakka ran a couple of awesome campaigns, they're fun to read as well as providing a bit of inspiration for setting/gameplay.

Thank you so much for this. This has definitely helped figure out the narrative to the campaign.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3512

You can also look here at the campaign I ran for my group (it ended up failing because too many of the player that play the most were on one side). But the concepts and such are all solid.

http://epicempires.com/campaign/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=aff7103c93622c3340807a4353dc7f04

I would also highly recommend the campaign system in the Imperial Armour 12: The Fall of Orpheus (though it is the system the campaign above is based on)

Thanks a lot. I had just downloaded your latest episode on campaigns and it to is helping and I'll be sure to check out these as well as Fall of Orpheus.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

So I've got Codex: Space Wolves here and the Wolf Priest page is the most :effort: page I've seen in a long while.

I'm curious about what they've done to Njaal , Logan, and some of the other named characters

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

I have a soft spot for Njaal Stormcaller. What did they do to him?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

Can't kill poo poo in Close Combat with AP4, special bird Line of Sight thing no longer exists (Chooser of the Slain?), gets to reroll failed spells from the Wolf Lore (Which is pretty bad), has a 24" S3 AP- Assault d6 shooting attack (lol), no table, Mastery Level 3, 180points.

At 85 points for a Rune Priest with Level 2 and an Force Axe which gives him Adamantium Will, why even take Njall. Take a Rune Priest, take Divination, laugh all the way to the bank. Can also take a Psychic Hood for 10p if you want to Deny everything forever.

Just curious. I already have a decent amount of Rune Priests. I ask because when I first got into this game he was one of the first named guys I got. Kinda sucks that he no longer has the table though. Was cool if nothing else.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

You want to talk brutal? Relic Weapon: Black Death.

25 Points. Melee, S+2 AP2, Unweildly, Whirlwind of Death.

Whirlwind of Death: +3 Attacks if you're outnumbered in close combat.
That bumps a Thunderwolf lord up to S7, A9 on the charge.

:getin:

Speaking of Relics isn't there a suit of armor that lowers opponents initiative by 5 or something?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Sephyr posted:

So far the Space Wolves codex seems pretty solid. Grey Hunters are not so hideously better than all other troops choices (indeed, seem to have no way of getting Objective secured), Long Fangs get a price fix to get in line with similar stuff, cheap stuff like the wolf trikets that let you hit anything on a 3+ are gone.

Does it specifically say they cannot get obsec? Are they no longer troop choices ? IIRC troop choices automatically get obsec in a battle forged army as per the BRB.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

I don't know if this a :filez: question or not, but do any of you goons have an or know a regularly updated battlescribe repositorie? The one I got when I first got the app hasn't been updated in a while and rife with spelling errors and typos.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 14, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Got my Champions of Fenris supplement today and I'm liking it a lot especially some of the formations.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

The thing I love about the hover sled is that it's being pulled by regular-rear end wolves. Like, they build this hovering metallic boat and put their legion's master in it, but instead of lashing it to cyber wolves or whatever, it's just a couple of dogs that showed up, to tow the thing.

EDIT: New Nagash owns super hard.

Seconding the love for the new Nagash Model.

While I don't hate the sleigh as much as others in this thread its still one of the silliest things in this hobby. I will say though that Logan Grimnar himself is an awesome model.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Boon posted:

Where are the rules for the current 40k allowed Lord of Wars?

Escalation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Finally started painting my orks again. So far I got 30 grots painted up and now two slugga boyz... 58 to go. Sigh. Going for an all foot army jus because.

In order to preserve your sanity you should probably look into getting an airbrush.

• Locked thread